CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 05-31-2018 08:37 AM

Take it to the bank, attendance goes up the last two seasons at Nippert despite MLS pricing. People are genuinely passionate about it and will pay whatever it costs.

Long term my concern is no different than the other sports teams here. The Bengals are the worst attendance team in the NFL and the Reds are close in MLB. If the product is garbage Cincinnati will not support it. But I don't see that as a cost issue as the Reds and Bengals would struggle to fill their stadiums with $5 tickets

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 05-31-2018 08:56 AM

(05-30-2018 03:58 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 02:47 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  I would be surprised if you didn't see the VIP area carryover to UC football.

I thought one of the reasons for the notches pushed by Bohn and Tuberville was football player/spectator safety? LOL

Have you seen what those VIP areas are? It's basically a platform on the turf with a few seats in it, takes up very little space. They also said when they installed them that they were considering other options in that area, so I'm not surprised.

On attendance, I would think they would stay the same, I don't see them going up much, except against the Crew.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 05-31-2018 10:26 AM

(05-30-2018 09:51 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 08:50 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 10:49 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 10:31 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 08:51 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  Go to any elementary school and ask kids how many NFL teams they can name.

...Then ask the same kids how many MLS teams they can name.

Go to any elementary school and ask how many kids play soccer.

Uh, your point was not that kids play soccer but that the MLS is one of the leagues "catching on" with younger people and the NFL was not.

I'm fairly certain that more kids know who the Green Bay Packers are than FC Keekball.

We've been hearing about this soccer takeover since Pele played for the NY Cosmos. [yawn] ...still waiting

More kids are playing soccer now, watching soccer, and supporting MLS clubs than ever before.

Less people are watching the NFL, going to games, and the people left tend to be much older.

This isn't rocket science. Go look at the people attending FCC games vs. NFL games. You think Lindnder decided to buy in because he just has some innate desire to see soccer rise to prominence in the states? Hell no. He sees where the trend is heading.

Look, I love football. I really do. I'm a lifelong Bengals and Bearcats fan. But with the new findings on concussions, I don't know that I'd let my future kids play football past the 8th grade. Believe me, there are many others who feel the same. It's not going to end well for the sport.

And for all the whining and moaning on this board about realignment, you'd think more folks would admire the ownership group that took a new USL franchise and turned them into an MLS expansion team within a few years. Our athletic department needs to take notes.

I think this is where the discussion is getting misinterpreted. You aren't saying that MLS/Soccer is more popular than the NFL/Football. You're saying that for various reasons (concussions and racial inequality/police brutality protests) people are walking away from football. This may not be in waves or droves, but the fact is is that the NFL is experiencing a slow-down, however big or small, in popularity.

You are also arguing that soccer is rising in popularity. You are not suggesting that MLS is on some meteoric rise and is within reach of surpassing the NFL. That is not your point. Your point is that MLS is growing year to year, with the infusion of large, passionate fanbases, growing player participations, academies, TV ratings, and overall footprint. Then there is the "still waiting" argument as to when soccer will "catch on". There isn't going to be some watershed moment where soccer will surpass all American sports as the number 1 league/sport in the US yadda yadda. Its been a slow grow. I think it'd be foolish to assert that soccer is in the same place now as it was in the 90s, or the 70s and 80s.

This post sounds like I'm explaining your argument to you, but I'm trying to clarify certain points that seem to be continuously twisted into something else. If I am off base on anything, feel free to correct me.

As an aside, I will gladly take the bet from whoever it was that suggested MLS will have "major contractions" in less than 5 years. Over the next 4 years there will be 4 new teams added to MLS not including us. Miami and Nashville after us, and 2 more cities to be determined in the coming years.

Edit: My future kids will also never play football. I'm all for soccer, lacrosse, maybe basketball. Definitely not baseball, but that's more me being selfish and not wanting to watch baseball, let alone little kids playing that damn game.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me. You're on point with everything.

In no way do I think the MLS will surpass the NFL (at least in the near future). My argument was in response to Romell's original assertion that soccer doesn't have a future in the US. I'm not implying it's going to overtake any of the professional leagues. My point, simply, is that it has a seat at the table, especially while other sports continue to trip over themselves in stupidity.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Not Duane - 05-31-2018 10:30 AM

How about the assertion that the popularity of soccer in the US can be pegged to an increased immigration rate?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 05-31-2018 10:35 AM

(05-31-2018 07:21 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Bolded, I'm inclined to agree. You provided an interesting summary of the conversation here. If American football will eventually be supplanted by soccer (still a big "if" in my mind but I'm open to that as a possible outcome) all the more reason that UC should be developing a strategy to showcase our collegiate soccer teams. Lindner loves UC and may be open to some co-branding for kids, youth and high school soccer; hosting more camps, ticket promotions, exhibition matches, etc. Let's tie our wagon to the hottest sports brand in town. It should give us a distinct competitive advantage in soccer over other tri-state universities.

UC was prominently credited in that Tuesday press conference.
If I heard correctly, that announcement had a worldwide audience of 170 nations. XU, U of L, IU, UK--none have UC's access to that level of international exposure for any athletic programs right now. Maybe in 20 years Nippert is filled with screaming, cheering UC...soccer fans.

It's little things like this that also give UC a big advantage here. On the day of the announcement, the official MLS Twitter account posted four pictures of Cincinnati; one of them was a shot of the big C paw at Nippert. The tweet got nearly 5,000 likes. Free publicity doesn't get any easier than that.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - cpawfan - 06-01-2018 09:07 PM

I'm a volleyball coach with zero interest in soccer. As soon as I heard that the MLS requires an individual stadium under team control, I rooted against Cincinnati being awarded a MLS franchise. The only benefit of FC Cincinnati that matters to me is bringing fans to campus.

Now I'm left with rooting for construction delays and red tape to keep FC Cincinnati in Nippert.

As far as CTE and sports, you have to worry about it in almost every sport. If as a parent, that is your biggest fear about a child playing a sport, you might as well not let them play anything.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rosewater - 06-02-2018 07:58 AM

(06-01-2018 09:07 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  I'm a volleyball coach with zero interest in soccer. As soon as I heard that the MLS requires an individual stadium under team control, I rooted against Cincinnati being awarded a MLS franchise. The only benefit of FC Cincinnati that matters to me is bringing fans to campus.

Now I'm left with rooting for construction delays and red tape to keep FC Cincinnati in Nippert.

As far as CTE and sports, you have to worry about it in almost every sport. If as a parent, that is your biggest fear about a child playing a sport, you might as well not let them play anything.

There has been at least one study that points out the cardiovascular effects of a sport far out weigh the effects of cte for football, soccer etc...

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - skylinecat - 06-04-2018 12:11 PM

(06-02-2018 07:58 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(06-01-2018 09:07 PM)cpawfan Wrote:  I'm a volleyball coach with zero interest in soccer. As soon as I heard that the MLS requires an individual stadium under team control, I rooted against Cincinnati being awarded a MLS franchise. The only benefit of FC Cincinnati that matters to me is bringing fans to campus.

There has been at least one study that points out the cardiovascular effects of a sport far out weigh the effects of cte for football, soccer etc...

Not a parent, but the difference I see with Football and other sports is the difference that size makes throughout growing up and frankly its not a great sport for those kids that aren't athletic freaks. If you go to a relatively large high school and are not in the top 10% of male athletes in the school, you will probably never start for the varsity football team. You may end up being 2nd team by your senior year and play a handful of snaps every game. In exchange for the time/effort over 8 years of never playing, you get destroyed in practice and run the risk of a concussion at a much higher risk than other sports.

In contrast, your kid may not be huge or even that great, but it only takes 15 kids to field a baseball team or soccer team. They may not make the highschool team but at least growing up they will get meaningful chances to play without the risk of a life changing concussion. If I thought my kid had a chance to get a full ride/scholarship/play professionally, I'd take the risk with football. But being realistic, there is no chance and I think a lot of parents are going to take a similar view/approach.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 06-04-2018 01:43 PM

I will teach my son the sport of tuba playing. It involves carrying around a 52 lb. tuba and drinking heavily.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CardinalJim - 06-04-2018 01:54 PM

As Louisville City FC soccer season ticket holder and a UofL Football season ticket holder who has been quietly following this thread since the beginning, can I ask, why all the negative comments about soccer?

I realize soccer isn't one of the three sports most grew up playing. I'm 55 and I have been hearing for at least 30 years that soccer was going to take off here in the US. I am still waiting for that but it hasn't stop me from enjoying the game.

Honestly I grew up in the days of the Big Red Machine, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion. Baseball was the sport. Never missed a game. I used to sneak a transistor radio into school to keep up with the games back when the play-offs were during the day or the Reds were playing in Chicago.

If we weren't watching the one game a week that was on TV on Saturday or ABC Monday night baseball we were playing.

Now days kids don't do that.

My point is if soccer can get kids off their butts, away from their gaming consoles and outside being active, I'm all for it. It's not the baseball I grew up with but that's OK.

My point is Nippert is a jewel. You folks are lucky to have it. You're FC Cincinnati games there are amazing. That doesn't take anything anyway from UC Football. If anything it adds to it. When I was there I saw a lot of Ohio State and UK hats mixed in with that orange and blue. Show those folks a good time and you might get them to a few UC Bearcat football or soccer games.

Just my opinion. Good luck to FC Cincinnati in the MLS. If you live in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky and haven't been to a game you're missing out. If you don't like soccer, what's the worst thing that could happen, you have a good time?
CJ

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Def Berkkat - 06-04-2018 03:11 PM

(06-04-2018 01:54 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  As Louisville City FC soccer season ticket holder and a UofL Football season ticket holder who has been quietly following this thread since the beginning, can I ask, why all the negative comments about soccer?

I realize soccer isn't one of the three sports most grew up playing. I'm 55 and I have been hearing for at least 30 years that soccer was going to take off here in the US. I am still waiting for that but it hasn't stop me from enjoying the game.

Honestly I grew up in the days of the Big Red Machine, Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion. Baseball was the sport. Never missed a game. I used to sneak a transistor radio into school to keep up with the games back when the play-offs were during the day or the Reds were playing in Chicago.

If we weren't watching the one game a week that was on TV on Saturday or ABC Monday night baseball we were playing.

Now days kids don't do that.

My point is if soccer can get kids off their butts, away from their gaming consoles and outside being active, I'm all for it. It's not the baseball I grew up with but that's OK.

My point is Nippert is a jewel. You folks are lucky to have it. You're FC Cincinnati games there are amazing. That doesn't take anything anyway from UC Football. If anything it adds to it. When I was there I saw a lot of Ohio State and UK hats mixed in with that orange and blue. Show those folks a good time and you might get them to a few UC Bearcat football or soccer games.

Just my opinion. Good luck to FC Cincinnati in the MLS. If you live in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky and haven't been to a game you're missing out. If you don't like soccer, what's the worst thing that could happen, you have a good time?
CJ

I think you just answered your own question, dude.

Somebody could start a thread entitled "I HATE BOXING" and it probably wouldn't even get a look.

Start a thread entitled "I HATE SOCCER" and you'll have 60 replies in the first five minutes extolling the virtues of soccer and advising you of what a Cretan you are for not getting with the program.

We just don't understand why we can't hate soccer in peace.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 06-04-2018 03:38 PM

? I'd love to see the study, because I really can't fathom why the intensive cardiovascular demands of football, soccer, etc. would incur greater repercussions than brain trauma. The body tends to respond well to endurance-based exercise regimes. As we all know, the same is not true of neurological damage.

With football, in particular, the brain damage issues extend beyond the CTE we have come to associate with concussions. Prevailing evidence seems to suggest that CTE is prevalent even in players who don't experience mulptiple concussions in a career. Oddly enough, this same phenomenon is being seen in soccer, too, as one of the other posters mentioned.

The difference (and this is just a personal opinion), is that headballs in soccer (the cause of CTE) are more easily avoided/capable of being eradicated from the sport, than head-to-head contact in football. You can teach a player to tackle properly and they'll still experience a hit on almost every player. But I don't know, maybe one day they'll fix the helmets or, in the case of soccer, eliminate headballs. It's a tough question that one day needs to be addressed. My larger point through all of this is that football's popularity is declining, in large part, due to the NFL's negligence with these issues.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 06-04-2018 07:47 PM

(06-04-2018 03:38 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

? I'd love to see the study, because I really can't fathom why the intensive cardiovascular demands of football, soccer, etc. would incur greater repercussions than brain trauma. The body tends to respond well to endurance-based exercise regimes. As we all know, the same is not true of neurological damage.

With football, in particular, the brain damage issues extend beyond the CTE we have come to associate with concussions. Prevailing evidence seems to suggest that CTE is prevalent even in players who don't experience mulptiple concussions in a career. Oddly enough, this same phenomenon is being seen in soccer, too, as one of the other posters mentioned.

The difference (and this is just a personal opinion), is that headballs in soccer (the cause of CTE) are more easily avoided/capable of being eradicated from the sport, than head-to-head contact in football. You can teach a player to tackle properly and they'll still experience a hit on almost every player. But I don't know, maybe one day they'll fix the helmets or, in the case of soccer, eliminate headballs. It's a tough question that one day needs to be addressed. My larger point through all of this is that football's popularity is declining, in large part, due to the NFL's negligence with these issues.

I'm guessing the study in question was speaking of the cardiovascular benefits versus the potential of head trauma as a general cost-benefit analysis.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Not Duane - 06-04-2018 10:18 PM

(06-04-2018 12:11 PM)skylinecat Wrote:  

Not a parent, but the difference I see with Football and other sports is the difference that size makes throughout growing up and frankly its not a great sport for those kids that aren't athletic freaks. If you go to a relatively large high school and are not in the top 10% of male athletes in the school, you will probably never start for the varsity football team. You may end up being 2nd team by your senior year and play a handful of snaps every game. In exchange for the time/effort over 8 years of never playing, you get destroyed in practice and run the risk of a concussion at a much higher risk than other sports.

In contrast, your kid may not be huge or even that great, but it only takes 15 kids to field a baseball team or soccer team. They may not make the highschool team but at least growing up they will get meaningful chances to play without the risk of a life changing concussion. If I thought my kid had a chance to get a full ride/scholarship/play professionally, I'd take the risk with football. But being realistic, there is no chance and I think a lot of parents are going to take a similar view/approach.

It's an interesting point...did you realize that only wrestling and boxing have divisions based on set physical limits (weight class). You could argue that FB should have weight classes and MBB should have height classes--it would produce an profound change in the way the game is played.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - ucbandguy - 06-13-2018 07:53 AM

(06-04-2018 01:43 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  I will teach my son the sport of tuba playing. It involves carrying around a 52 lb. tuba and drinking heavily.

I have played a tuba for over 50 years. The only way you get to 52 pounds is to strap a 12 pack on it (which I might have considered when I was much much younger.)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - ucbandguy - 06-13-2018 08:02 AM

I moved out of the immediate Cincinnati are a few years ago, so I don't really have a dog in the MLS stadium issue.

However, when I googled to see just where they proposed to put the new stadium, the first article that included a map showed it just behind Taft High School, taking over the space where their football stadium now sits. (Is my info current?)

My first thought was, a lot of the kids at Taft are starting out life with an uphill climb ahead of them. Taking away their athletic field does not seem to me to be a move in their best interest.

Maybe this post belongs in a political thread, but that is almost what this thread is. Perhaps we can keep it toward the sports side.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-13-2018 08:11 AM

(06-13-2018 08:02 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  I moved out of the immediate Cincinnati are a few years ago, so I don't really have a dog in the MLS stadium issue.

However, when I googled to see just where they proposed to put the new stadium, the first article that included a map showed it just behind Taft High School, taking over the space where their football stadium now sits. (Is my info current?)

My first thought was, a lot of the kids at Taft are starting out life with an uphill climb ahead of them. Taking away their athletic field does not seem to me to be a move in their best interest.

Maybe this post belongs in a political thread, but that is almost what this thread is. Perhaps we can keep it toward the sports side.

They are building them a brand new one nearby.

https://www.cps-k12.org/news/whats-new/cps-board-education-approves-land-agreement-fc-cincinnati

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Teakwood - 06-13-2018 08:48 AM

(06-04-2018 10:18 PM)Not Duane Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 12:11 PM)skylinecat Wrote:  

It's an interesting point...did you realize that only wrestling and boxing have divisions based on set physical limits (weight class). You could argue that FB should have weight classes and MBB should have height classes--it would produce an profound change in the way the game is played.

Sprint Football

See above. I had never heard of it until my co-worker's son was visiting Penn while looking at colleges. It seems like a really cool way for good but small athletes to continue playing football in college.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 06-13-2018 09:08 AM

(06-13-2018 08:02 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  I moved out of the immediate Cincinnati are a few years ago, so I don't really have a dog in the MLS stadium issue.

To piggy back on the previous post. They are building them a brand new stadium, pretty much caddy-corner from the front of Taft IT High School. It seems like a lot of work to get that site, but that's really the only way they are going to fit a stadium down there.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 06-13-2018 09:25 AM

(06-13-2018 07:53 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 01:43 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  I will teach my son the sport of tuba playing. It involves carrying around a 52 lb. tuba and drinking heavily.

I have played a tuba for over 50 years. The only way you get to 52 pounds is to strap a 12 pack on it (which I might have considered when I was much much younger.)

Stop telling my secret... 03-shhhh