CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Romell Shorter - 05-29-2018 09:47 PM

(05-29-2018 08:53 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 07:22 PM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  60% of the teams are AVERAGING fewer than 20k fans a game. Nice league.

A better investment might be in tulips for those who get that reference.

It's the third highest AVERAGE attendance behind NFL and MLB. Granted, the NBA and NHL play more games, but your argument that they are only averaging 20K fans a game is...well, bad.

Further, it's one of a few leagues that is seeing an increase in attendance year-by-year, while baseball and football are rapidly losing fans.

Shirley, you are just trying to get me fired up. MLS teams play only 21 home games! Demand should be much higher considering the limited supply. I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae there is a significant MLS contraction in less than five years. To make matters worse, tv ratings are almost zero! Lastly, if the City of Cincinnati supports it, it must be a dud.

I don't think average fans know how much MLS tickets cost. And like someone else said, it is not a great product compared to the other professional sports.

I am not a soccer hater - both my kids are very proficient at it. The league strikes me as a classic ponzi scheme.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 05-30-2018 12:28 AM

(05-29-2018 09:47 PM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 07:22 PM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  60% of the teams are AVERAGING fewer than 20k fans a game. Nice league.

It's the third highest AVERAGE attendance behind NFL and MLB. Granted, the NBA and NHL play more games, but your argument that they are only averaging 20K fans a game is...well, bad.

Further, it's one of a few leagues that is seeing an increase in attendance year-by-year, while baseball and football are rapidly losing fans.

Shirley, you are just trying to get me fired up. MLS teams play only 21 home games! Demand should be much higher considering the limited supply. I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae there is a significant MLS contraction in less than five years. To make matters worse, tv ratings are almost zero! Lastly, if the City of Cincinnati supports it, it must be a dud.

I don't think average fans know how much MLS tickets cost. And like someone else said, it is not a great product compared to the other professional sports.

I am not a soccer hater - both my kids are very proficient at it. The league strikes me as a classic ponzi scheme.

I made the sample size concession in my post. You originally stated that MLS' average attendance was poor. It isn't. It's third. That's all I stated.

And then I went on to explain why it's not concerning when considering the length of the season. Interest in soccer, considering attendance, TV ratings, youth involvement, media coverage, etc. is booming.

Meanwhile NFL football ratings are dropping, fans are staying home, and instead of talking about an incredible super bowl were all having an insufferable debate about the national anthem.

College football programs can't get anyone to stay past the third quarter.

Baseball is increasingly becoming an antiqued sport.

The only major leagues catching on with young people are the NBA, NHL, and MLS.

Soccer will be fine.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Def Berkkat - 05-30-2018 08:51 AM

(05-30-2018 12:28 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

I made the sample size concession in my post. You originally stated that MLS' average attendance was poor. It isn't. It's third. That's all I stated.

And then I went on to explain why it's not concerning when considering the length of the season. Interest in soccer, considering attendance, TV ratings, youth involvement, media coverage, etc. is booming.

Meanwhile NFL football ratings are dropping, fans are staying home, and instead of talking about an incredible super bowl were all having an insufferable debate about the national anthem.

Soccer will be fine.

Go to any elementary school and ask kids how many NFL teams they can name.

...Then ask the same kids how many MLS teams they can name.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rosewater - 05-30-2018 09:44 AM

(05-30-2018 08:51 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

Soccer will be fine.

The problem with msl is it is not the best soccer in the world. The best soccer is played in Europe so msl becomes de facto minor league. The nfl, nba, and mlb are the best in world.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 05-30-2018 10:31 AM

Soccer will be fine.

Go to any elementary school and ask how many kids play soccer.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Def Berkkat - 05-30-2018 10:49 AM

(05-30-2018 10:31 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 08:53 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  It's the third highest AVERAGE attendance behind NFL and MLB. Granted, the NBA and NHL play more games, but your argument that they are only averaging 20K fans a game is...well, bad.

Soccer will be fine.

Uh, your point was not that kids play soccer but that the MLS is one of the leagues "catching on" with younger people and the NFL was not.

I'm fairly certain that more kids know who the Green Bay Packers are than FC Keekball.

We've been hearing about this soccer takeover since Pele played for the NY Cosmos. [yawn] ...still waiting

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 05-30-2018 11:02 AM

(05-29-2018 08:53 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  It's the third highest AVERAGE attendance behind NFL and MLB. Granted, the NBA and NHL play more games, but your argument that they are only averaging 20K fans a game is...well, bad.

Soccer will be fine.

Everybody played youth soccer at my school when I was a kid...in 1970. I've been hearing predictions that it was gonna to sweep the country when the kids grow up for almost 50 years. Still waiting.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatJerry - 05-30-2018 01:59 PM

(05-29-2018 07:14 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 09:19 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 04:16 PM)Not Duane Wrote:  ...I heard no complaints.

Only because you don't care to listen.

Part of what has driven me nuts about this whole argument is that people don't care to hear any opinion beyond their own. If you go back and read the history of this thread, it's almost pure "strawman" arguments. "You just don't like soccer...." "You just want Nippert to stay empty during off-seasons..." "You just don't want other things in there except football..." And while there have been the occasional moronic "Well, soccer is a communist plot..." troll-bait posts, none of those have really been about what the substance of the debate really was about. (Feed the trolls at your own peril and misery, FWIW...)

But the reality is that the "notches" are here to stay. Period. End-of-story. Like them or hate them, they're here. I think it's somewhat...ah...funny...that nobody has recently dredged up the old rumor that a "party deck" or "on the field VIP area" would eventually be installed in "the notch" areas. (Yet another "strawman" argument, but on the "pro" side of the issue, I guess...) Now, two years on, the "notches" are just what they are: a cut-out space on the "South" end of the lower bowl. From an aesthetics standpoint, I wish they had just removed the lower five-or-so rows all the way around the bowl--all the same arguments hold for those seats: obstructed views, nobody likes to sit in those first five rows behind the benches, etc... If you're going to make the field as versatile as possible and friendly for other events (like soccer in this case), then do it up properly.

I was under the impression that there was an agreement to remove the notches if/when FCC got in the mls and built a new stadium, so not sure where "here to stay" is coming from. BTW, if you did take five rows out, the place would look more like an auto racing oval than a football stadium.

First, and this has been on this board, the specific terms of the deal were that FCC Cincinnati would pay for "restoration" of the bowl IF they ended the contract within three years of the construction. So... Nope. If I am correct, FCC will have NO responsibility for replacing the seating after this year.

But second: Bohn was adamant when the changes were made that they were beneficial for Bearcat Football due to safety concerns. The issue regarding Football is that the field was relocated to the "South" about ten yards so that the corners of the endzone now "fit" into the notch area. Bohn's point was that, under the old placement, if a player ran out of the back corners (i.e. Mardy Gilyard) that the player ended up into, and over, the low wall. But with the new arrangement, there is some extra space, and the notches now have a much higher wall that a player isn't going to topple over.

The point is that the "notches" aren't going anywhere because they weren't merely something that FC-C demanded but that the Athletic Department also wanted.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatJerry - 05-30-2018 02:02 PM

(05-29-2018 09:52 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 09:19 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 04:16 PM)Not Duane Wrote:  ...I heard no complaints.

Only because you don't care to listen.

Part of what has driven me nuts about this whole argument is that people don't care to hear any opinion beyond their own. If you go back and read the history of this thread, it's almost pure "strawman" arguments. "You just don't like soccer...." "You just want Nippert to stay empty during off-seasons..." "You just don't want other things in there except football..." And while there have been the occasional moronic "Well, soccer is a communist plot..." troll-bait posts, none of those have really been about what the substance of the debate really was about. (Feed the trolls at your own peril and misery, FWIW...)

But the reality is that the "notches" are here to stay. Period. End-of-story. Like them or hate them, they're here. I think it's somewhat...ah...funny...that nobody has recently dredged up the old rumor that a "party deck" or "on the field VIP area" would eventually be installed in "the notch" areas. (Yet another "strawman" argument, but on the "pro" side of the issue, I guess...) Now, two years on, the "notches" are just what they are: a cut-out space on the "South" end of the lower bowl. From an aesthetics standpoint, I wish they had just removed the lower five-or-so rows all the way around the bowl--all the same arguments hold for those seats: obstructed views, nobody likes to sit in those first five rows behind the benches, etc... If you're going to make the field as versatile as possible and friendly for other events (like soccer in this case), then do it up properly.

If you were paying attention you would know that there is actually an on field VIP area in that corner for FCC games.

First, I am a Bearcat fan, not a FCC fan. Second, I don't live in the greater Cincinnati area anymore so I don't get up to FCC games. But thirdly, at the risk of spawning another strawman argument, I don't like watching Soccer so... Nope. I wasn't paying attention and I don't really care that FCC has a VIP area or not. It doesn't have anything to do with UC or what UC does.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 05-30-2018 02:47 PM

I would be surprised if you didn't see the VIP area carryover to UC football.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 05-30-2018 03:58 PM

(05-30-2018 02:47 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  I would be surprised if you didn't see the VIP area carryover to UC football.

I thought one of the reasons for the notches pushed by Bohn and Tuberville was football player/spectator safety? LOL

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - crex043 - 05-30-2018 04:35 PM

(05-30-2018 03:58 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 02:47 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  I would be surprised if you didn't see the VIP area carryover to UC football.

I thought one of the reasons for the notches pushed by Bohn and Tuberville was football player/spectator safety? LOL
Was it for Tuberville's safety? A respectful distance between him and disgruntled fans came at a premium in his last couple of years.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Lush - 05-30-2018 08:10 PM

why the hell is otr all pissed about the west end getting the stadium? they should be ecstatic. you think millennials are going to want to leave their enclave before going to soccer game? they have absolutely no reason to. the street car damn near goes to soccer stadium. it's like a millennial utopia. hopefully it works out for the residents of the west end. i imagine it won't at least if fc is able to remain popular. so it goes

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Cataclysmo - 05-30-2018 08:50 PM

(05-30-2018 10:49 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 09:47 PM)Romell Shorter Wrote:  Shirley, you are just trying to get me fired up. MLS teams play only 21 home games! Demand should be much higher considering the limited supply. I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae there is a significant MLS contraction in less than five years. To make matters worse, tv ratings are almost zero! Lastly, if the City of Cincinnati supports it, it must be a dud.

Soccer will be fine.

Uh, your point was not that kids play soccer but that the MLS is one of the leagues "catching on" with younger people and the NFL was not.

I'm fairly certain that more kids know who the Green Bay Packers are than FC Keekball.

We've been hearing about this soccer takeover since Pele played for the NY Cosmos. [yawn] ...still waiting

More kids are playing soccer now, watching soccer, and supporting MLS clubs than ever before.

Less people are watching the NFL, going to games, and the people left tend to be much older.

This isn't rocket science. Go look at the people attending FCC games vs. NFL games. You think Lindnder decided to buy in because he just has some innate desire to see soccer rise to prominence in the states? Hell no. He sees where the trend is heading.

Look, I love football. I really do. I'm a lifelong Bengals and Bearcats fan. But with the new findings on concussions, I don't know that I'd let my future kids play football past the 8th grade. Believe me, there are many others who feel the same. It's not going to end well for the sport.

And for all the whining and moaning on this board about realignment, you'd think more folks would admire the ownership group that took a new USL franchise and turned them into an MLS expansion team within a few years. Our athletic department needs to take notes.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 05-30-2018 09:51 PM

(05-30-2018 08:50 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 12:28 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I made the sample size concession in my post. You originally stated that MLS' average attendance was poor. It isn't. It's third. That's all I stated.

Soccer will be fine.

More kids are playing soccer now, watching soccer, and supporting MLS clubs than ever before.

Less people are watching the NFL, going to games, and the people left tend to be much older.

This isn't rocket science. Go look at the people attending FCC games vs. NFL games. You think Lindnder decided to buy in because he just has some innate desire to see soccer rise to prominence in the states? Hell no. He sees where the trend is heading.

Look, I love football. I really do. I'm a lifelong Bengals and Bearcats fan. But with the new findings on concussions, I don't know that I'd let my future kids play football past the 8th grade. Believe me, there are many others who feel the same. It's not going to end well for the sport.

And for all the whining and moaning on this board about realignment, you'd think more folks would admire the ownership group that took a new USL franchise and turned them into an MLS expansion team within a few years. Our athletic department needs to take notes.

I think this is where the discussion is getting misinterpreted. You aren't saying that MLS/Soccer is more popular than the NFL/Football. You're saying that for various reasons (concussions and racial inequality/police brutality protests) people are walking away from football. This may not be in waves or droves, but the fact is is that the NFL is experiencing a slow-down, however big or small, in popularity.

You are also arguing that soccer is rising in popularity. You are not suggesting that MLS is on some meteoric rise and is within reach of surpassing the NFL. That is not your point. Your point is that MLS is growing year to year, with the infusion of large, passionate fanbases, growing player participations, academies, TV ratings, and overall footprint. Then there is the "still waiting" argument as to when soccer will "catch on". There isn't going to be some watershed moment where soccer will surpass all American sports as the number 1 league/sport in the US yadda yadda. Its been a slow grow. I think it'd be foolish to assert that soccer is in the same place now as it was in the 90s, or the 70s and 80s.

This post sounds like I'm explaining your argument to you, but I'm trying to clarify certain points that seem to be continuously twisted into something else. If I am off base on anything, feel free to correct me.

As an aside, I will gladly take the bet from whoever it was that suggested MLS will have "major contractions" in less than 5 years. Over the next 4 years there will be 4 new teams added to MLS not including us. Miami and Nashville after us, and 2 more cities to be determined in the coming years.

Edit: My future kids will also never play football. I'm all for soccer, lacrosse, maybe basketball. Definitely not baseball, but that's more me being selfish and not wanting to watch baseball, let alone little kids playing that damn game.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - stxrunner - 05-30-2018 09:59 PM

This debate makes me chuckle.

Nothing like a board who's average age is probably higher than the amount of posts in a fire Mick Cronin thread to try and tell people what is going to popular with today's youth. I'm not really a huge MLS fan or massive soccer fan in general, but I also know that it's clearly extraordinarily popular in Cincinnati. I went to one game last year and couldn't believe the atmosphere. And I've been to San Siro and Camp Nou during my travels with assoicates who apparently knew where to watch a soccer match.

As for how this affects UC, I don't see how it isn't a major positive. UC partnered with a group that led a franchise to a promotion in league in just 3 years. They did get insanely cheap rent for the first few years, but that was done because not even Carl himself could have envisioned the growth the team would have. UC will be compensated fairly while FCC plays in Nippert because everyone now knows what the team can draw.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 05-31-2018 06:17 AM

(05-30-2018 08:50 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 12:28 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I made the sample size concession in my post. You originally stated that MLS' average attendance was poor. It isn't. It's third. That's all I stated.

Soccer will be fine.

If you're really worried about CTE, probably shouldn't let your kids play soccer, either.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 05-31-2018 07:21 AM

(05-30-2018 09:59 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  This debate makes me chuckle.

Nothing like a board who's average age is probably higher than the amount of posts in a fire Mick Cronin thread to try and tell people what is going to popular with today's youth. I'm not really a huge MLS fan or massive soccer fan in general, but I also know that it's clearly extraordinarily popular in Cincinnati. I went to one game last year and couldn't believe the atmosphere. And I've been to San Siro and Camp Nou during my travels with assoicates who apparently knew where to watch a soccer match.

As for how this affects UC, I don't see how it isn't a major positive. UC partnered with a group that led a franchise to a promotion in league in just 3 years. They did get insanely cheap rent for the first few years, but that was done because not even Carl himself could have envisioned the growth the team would have. UC will be compensated fairly while FCC plays in Nippert because everyone now knows what the team can draw.

Bolded, I'm inclined to agree. You provided an interesting summary of the conversation here. If American football will eventually be supplanted by soccer (still a big "if" in my mind but I'm open to that as a possible outcome) all the more reason that UC should be developing a strategy to showcase our collegiate soccer teams. Lindner loves UC and may be open to some co-branding for kids, youth and high school soccer; hosting more camps, ticket promotions, exhibition matches, etc. Let's tie our wagon to the hottest sports brand in town. It should give us a distinct competitive advantage in soccer over other tri-state universities.

UC was prominently credited in that Tuesday press conference. If I heard correctly, that announcement had a worldwide audience of 170 nations. XU, U of L, IU, UK--none have UC's access to that level of international exposure for any athletic programs right now. Maybe in 20 years Nippert is filled with screaming, cheering UC...soccer fans.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bruce Monnin - 05-31-2018 07:33 AM

Before anyone goes too wild about the popularity of soccer in Cincinnati, lets see how attendance is affected by MLS pricing.

I am not expecting those $5 tickets to last once FC Cincinnati is in the big time.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 05-31-2018 07:56 AM

(05-31-2018 07:33 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Before anyone goes too wild about the popularity of soccer in Cincinnati, lets see how attendance is affected by MLS pricing.

I am not expecting those $5 tickets to last once FC Cincinnati is in the big time.

I agree; I think that's a reasonable concern. I was trying to think of an analogous situation. I know Denver was wild about minor league baseball before the Rockies. In the following years they packed a huge stadium for years of MLB games with tickets selling at a much higher price point.

Certainly we've witnessed the converse of this with UC football in past years. That is, cheap tickets and poor attendance. Decades ago, tickets were regularly, "buy one, get one" at Skyline and even given away at times to youth football, the Boys Club, UC alumni or faculty and others. Because they were free, there was no perception of any value. And little passion around those teams either for other reasons.

With regard to FCC, I will only add one broad statement (which is always dangerous) and it's not meant as a negative: millennials will spend any amount for what they're passionate about. They'll find the incremental dollars to attend FCC, not because it's a spectator sport but because it's an experience.