CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 12-21-2017 10:54 PM

(12-21-2017 09:30 PM)doss2 Wrote:  As a child I remember our street cars.

My grandmothers backyard overlooked the turn around on Quebec Road.

They were replaced by diesel buses partly because of the hills and I guess GM bribing politicians.

The history of public transit vs. the automotive industry is actually a very interesting read...especially in the pre-WW2 era. Essentially, once the economy dumped in the 30's the auto industry forced cities to pull funding and move it over to auto subsidies to help prop up the economy by affording the companies more payroll for workers during the depression.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcatbdub - 12-21-2017 10:56 PM

(12-21-2017 10:54 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 09:30 PM)doss2 Wrote:  As a child I remember our street cars.

My grandmothers backyard overlooked the turn around on Quebec Road.

They were replaced by diesel buses partly because of the hills and I guess GM bribing politicians.

The history of public transit vs. the automotive industry is actually a very interesting read...especially in the pre-WW2 era. Essentially, once the economy dumped in the 30's the auto industry forced cities to pull funding and move it over to auto subsidies to help prop up the economy by affording the companies more payroll for workers during the depression.
Probably why we have more cars in the US than anywhere else in the world.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 12-22-2017 01:02 AM

We probably also have more cars because we had lots more space to spread out. It’s nice not having to live in high density housing to raise a family if you don’t have to yet still want to get to employment centers, etc.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - SuperFlyBCat - 12-22-2017 12:40 PM

Streetcar systems were going to get whacked regardless of how much GM or Ford bribed politicians.
As they were not mass transit anyway. The creation of the suburb added in with the Interstate Highway Act, post WWll, allowed people to exit more crowded dense hoods. Employers, office space, manufacturing, shopping both followed and in some cases preceded suburban developments.

The primary downside in suburban planning was it was overly residential and people were overly reliant on the auto to get anywhere. Vast majority of these communities did not incorporate being able to walk to any stores, shopping, restaurants etc.....some did.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 12-22-2017 02:06 PM

(12-22-2017 12:40 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Streetcar systems were going to get whacked regardless of how much GM or Ford bribed politicians.
As they were not mass transit anyway. The creation of the suburb added in with the Interstate Highway Act, post WWll, allowed people to exit more crowded dense hoods. Employers, office space, manufacturing, shopping both followed and in some cases preceded suburban developments.

The primary downside in suburban planning was it was overly residential and people were overly reliant on the auto to get anywhere. Vast majority of these communities did not incorporate being able to walk to any stores, shopping, restaurants etc.....some did.

Exactly...but I believe (as do many urban historians and city planners) that if public transit would have survived the 30's and 40's the urban sprawl would've been dealt with in a way that promoted urban transit instead of interstate. The auto industry not only built out of the 20's and 30's as the main employer of most midwest industrial workers in some manner, but also managed to lobby extensively to certain politicians (namely Eisenhower, who had holdings in Willy/Jeep and General Motors) to enact the Interstate Highway Act, itself a necessary public works project for a multitude of reason...none of which being the Cold War, but there were localized contingencies written into the legislation to support suburban sprawl by way of the "By-Way" clause in the late 50's/early 60's which supported local applications for expansion of highway systems along specified "hub areas" and was further supported in the early 80's by Reagan, who was actually the first politician to add any supplemental revenue stream for public transit since Coolidge (the 1/10th gas tax addition on his expansion in the Omnibus Legislation (where 9/10ths of every cent went to local area interstate expansion...namely spurs and transit ring roads) and the gas tax negotiations after Carter's boondoggle.

The thing is, it was far too late to correct 30 years worth of legislation to the contrary...so it did next to nothing and was used as ammunition by the auto industry in the late 80's and early 90's as a way to disprove the legitimacy of large scale municipal transportation, despite many cities worldwide showing that thought process to be incorrect. I'm an infrastructure engineer who specializes in Urban Impact Analyses and Local Impact Overviews of any such developments, so what I'm saying is actually counter-intuitive when you consider my research is tied to the expansion of the interstate system and the denigration of anything that could harm said expansion...but I'm also a realist who grew up and lived in a city that was basically the test market for all auto-based/biased legislation in the USA over the last century (Toledo). The Auto Industry's influence on public transit legislation was really the first federally "bought" public policy...and is one of the more interesting deep dives out there if it's something you find intriguing.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 12-22-2017 10:50 PM

The interstate was started under Ike because he saw how the autoban aided the German troop movement.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 12-23-2017 08:05 PM

(12-22-2017 10:50 PM)doss2 Wrote:  The interstate was started under Ike because he saw how the autoban aided the German troop movement.

That was the reason given, yes. But that was one of the smaller reasons (as stated above with the Cold War comment).

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - vabearcat - 12-23-2017 09:50 PM

(12-23-2017 08:05 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(12-22-2017 10:50 PM)doss2 Wrote:  The interstate was started under Ike because he saw how the autoban aided the German troop movement.

That was the reason given, yes. But that was one of the smaller reasons (as stated above with the Cold War comment).

Believe what you want to believe, but the Interstate Highway System will likely go down as one of this country's greatest public investment expenditures, along with the Louisiana Purchase. The Interstate system increased the nation's mobility, brought the nation closer together, facilitated a residential and commercial building boom and helped create regional and national ground distribution systems.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 12-24-2017 09:37 AM

(12-23-2017 09:50 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(12-23-2017 08:05 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Believe what you want to believe, but the Interstate Highway System will likely go down as one of this country's greatest public investment expenditures, along with the Louisiana Purchase. The Interstate system increased the nation's mobility, brought the nation closer together, facilitated a residential and commercial building boom and helped create regional and national ground distribution systems.

Where in any of that did I say it wasn't? Personally, I think given the logistics and science of the time, the Hoover Dam and the transcontinental railway are probably more substantial technical achievements in singularity, but the fact that the entire road network for one of the largest nations in the world by land area was completed in a decade is a feat of engineering ingenuity that we won't see until the first orbital elevator is completed. Hell, I'm a direct beneficiary of the legislation to this day, both in professional practice and as a motoring enthusiast. Just mentioned that there was MUCH more to the reason behind it than "we need proximate transport for military units to major cities".

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 12-24-2017 10:49 AM

Man has my thread been hijacked again. First to does FCC get into MLS and now to Urban Planning.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat2012 - 01-23-2018 11:15 AM

This should get some people riled up ......

http://gobearcats.com/news/2018/1/23/general-nitro-circus-next-level-tour-coming-to-nippert-stadium-on-june-23-2018.aspx#.WmddTOSQ44M.twitter

Nitro Circus Next Level Tour Coming To Nippert Stadium On June 23, 2018

CINCINNATI - Nitro Circus, the global youth entertainment phenomenon, returns to North America this year with the epic Next Level Tour. This spectacular brand new production, the ultimate full-moto show ever seen, will have death-defying tricks, jaw-dropping world firsts and absurd stunts. It all adds up to a thrilling show simply too big to fit indoors. The Next Level Tour launches in mid-May, just in time for summer, and will visit over 10 cities across the continent through June.

The high-octane excitement of Nitro Circus: the Next Level Tour is coming to Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium on Saturday, June 23. Tickets are available starting Friday, January 26 at 10:00 AM, and can be purchased at nitrocircus.live.

For an advance look at the Next Level Tour and a taste of what is in store for Cincinnati fans, go here.

Brainchild of Travis Pastrana - global superstar, action sports icon and Nitro Circus ringleader – the Next Level Tour features the best athletes in action sports taking on the biggest ramps in the world. The Nitro Circus design team has put it all on the line with this show doubling down on the risk factor. The FMX Next Level takeoff ramp alone, towering 15-feet above the show floor (five feet taller than anything toured before) launches riders more than 60-feet into the sky. The lander also looms large, standing 23-feet high.

This innovative setup, the result of years of research and development, was first dreamed up at Travis' "Pastranaland" compound and then perfected at Nitro World Games. These breakthrough designs were never supposed to tour, as they were considered far too large and complex to be set up more than once. But Nitro Circus was determined to showcase them, and the future of action sports, to its diehard fans around the world. Now, after months of hard work, these ramps are hitting the road.

Progression is truly in this monster's DNA: the FMX Next Level ramps feature elements from the jaw-dropping setup used by Josh Sheehan in 2015 to stomp the previously unthinkable triple backflip on a motorbike as well as the extremely sketchy FMX frontflip ramp used at Nitro World Games. It was off this same ramp that Gregg Duffy made global headlines in 2016 when he landed the world's first double frontflip while last summer Harry Bink scored a huge world's first of his own: the frontflip rock solid.

Dov Ribnick, Nitro Circus' Vice President – Creative, said: "I'm so stoked to be taking this set on the road. This really is a breakthrough in FMX and the team we have assembled can't wait to throw down the biggest new tricks in FMX on this tour."

As if they needed more motivation, every night Nitro's athletes will battle in a full throttle Next Level Series FMX competition. For the first time, Nitro Circus will host an in-show competition to find out just who is the gnarliest rider on the planet. At each tour stop a panel of judges will determine a winner with the overall champion crowned at the end of the tour. While cash prizes are on the line, bragging rights are truly the top prize for this crew.

In addition to pushing FMX to its limits, one Nitro Circus' daredevil will go airborne on a 450-pound snowmobile while a new cast of hilarious characters will take stupid to an entirely different level, flipping motorized contraptions too ridiculous to be believed.

Also new for 2018, Cincinnati fans can also get up close and personal with the Nitro crew thanks to the Nitro VIP Club package. In addition to having premiere seats, VIP Club pass holders will now have the chance to take a behind the scenes look at the show with an exclusive pre-show track walk. VIP Club pass holders also have the opportunity to meet some of the riders during an autograph signing session, receive a souvenir poster and get a chance to win cool Nitro Circus swag.

[Image: TheNextLevelTour_CIN_1920x1080_RK.jpg?wi...;mode=crop]

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 01-23-2018 11:27 AM

It actually sounds pretty cool to start bringing in events like that, as long as they don't damage anything. Sounds good to me!

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 01-23-2018 11:27 AM

Can we finally move this to the off topic board?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 01-23-2018 11:27 AM

Found this video out there on the net. Looks kinda cool actually:

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 01-23-2018 11:30 AM

(01-23-2018 11:15 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  This should get some people riled up ......

http://gobearcats.com/news/2018/1/23/general-nitro-circus-next-level-tour-coming-to-nippert-stadium-on-june-23-2018.aspx#.WmddTOSQ44M.twitter

Nitro Circus Next Level Tour Coming To Nippert Stadium On June 23, 2018

CINCINNATI - Nitro Circus, the global youth entertainment phenomenon, returns to North America this year with the epic Next Level Tour. This spectacular brand new production, the ultimate full-moto show ever seen, will have death-defying tricks, jaw-dropping world firsts and absurd stunts. It all adds up to a thrilling show simply too big to fit indoors. The Next Level Tour launches in mid-May, just in time for summer, and will visit over 10 cities across the continent through June.

The high-octane excitement of Nitro Circus: the Next Level Tour is coming to Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium on Saturday, June 23. Tickets are available starting Friday, January 26 at 10:00 AM, and can be purchased at nitrocircus.live.

For an advance look at the Next Level Tour and a taste of what is in store for Cincinnati fans, go here.

Brainchild of Travis Pastrana - global superstar, action sports icon and Nitro Circus ringleader – the Next Level Tour features the best athletes in action sports taking on the biggest ramps in the world. The Nitro Circus design team has put it all on the line with this show doubling down on the risk factor. The FMX Next Level takeoff ramp alone, towering 15-feet above the show floor (five feet taller than anything toured before) launches riders more than 60-feet into the sky. The lander also looms large, standing 23-feet high.

This innovative setup, the result of years of research and development, was first dreamed up at Travis' "Pastranaland" compound and then perfected at Nitro World Games. These breakthrough designs were never supposed to tour, as they were considered far too large and complex to be set up more than once. But Nitro Circus was determined to showcase them, and the future of action sports, to its diehard fans around the world. Now, after months of hard work, these ramps are hitting the road.

Progression is truly in this monster's DNA: the FMX Next Level ramps feature elements from the jaw-dropping setup used by Josh Sheehan in 2015 to stomp the previously unthinkable triple backflip on a motorbike as well as the extremely sketchy FMX frontflip ramp used at Nitro World Games. It was off this same ramp that Gregg Duffy made global headlines in 2016 when he landed the world's first double frontflip while last summer Harry Bink scored a huge world's first of his own: the frontflip rock solid.

Dov Ribnick, Nitro Circus' Vice President – Creative, said: "I'm so stoked to be taking this set on the road. This really is a breakthrough in FMX and the team we have assembled can't wait to throw down the biggest new tricks in FMX on this tour."

As if they needed more motivation, every night Nitro's athletes will battle in a full throttle Next Level Series FMX competition. For the first time, Nitro Circus will host an in-show competition to find out just who is the gnarliest rider on the planet. At each tour stop a panel of judges will determine a winner with the overall champion crowned at the end of the tour. While cash prizes are on the line, bragging rights are truly the top prize for this crew.

In addition to pushing FMX to its limits, one Nitro Circus' daredevil will go airborne on a 450-pound snowmobile while a new cast of hilarious characters will take stupid to an entirely different level, flipping motorized contraptions too ridiculous to be believed.

Also new for 2018, Cincinnati fans can also get up close and personal with the Nitro crew thanks to the Nitro VIP Club package. In addition to having premiere seats, VIP Club pass holders will now have the chance to take a behind the scenes look at the show with an exclusive pre-show track walk. VIP Club pass holders also have the opportunity to meet some of the riders during an autograph signing session, receive a souvenir poster and get a chance to win cool Nitro Circus swag.

[Image: TheNextLevelTour_CIN_1920x1080_RK.jpg?wi...;mode=crop]

I've never been a motorsport fan of any sort, but I'm guessing this type of thing has it's audience. Probably kids and families.

The adjectives used in this write up though... I hear this whole thing in my head in that stereotypical surfer accent. Gnarly! Stoked! Next level, brahh!!!

This is cool though, I like it.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 01-23-2018 11:37 AM

(01-23-2018 11:30 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  I've never been a motorsport fan of any sort, but I'm guessing this type of thing has it's audience. Probably kids and families.

The adjectives used in this write up though... I hear this whole thing in my head in that stereotypical surfer accent. Gnarly! Stoked! Next level, brahh!!!

This is cool though, I like it.

[Image: PFBGkUi.gif]

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - gerhard911 - 01-23-2018 11:44 AM

This is an event that would more traditionally have occurred at the Coliseum. I'm fine with UC picking Niderlander's pockets! So long as no permanent changes or damage is done to Nippert, it's all good.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 01-23-2018 12:38 PM

(01-23-2018 11:44 AM)gerhard911 Wrote:  This is an event that would more traditionally have occurred at the Coliseum. I'm fine with UC picking Niderlander's pockets! So long as no permanent changes or damage is done to Nippert, it's all good.

Except it's not. This is an outdoor only series.

I am pretty excited about this, actually. They did the Nitro World Games at Utah's football stadium. It was hard to tell if they put down an interlocking grid floor, or if it was the base. They certainly will not be driving on the turf, either some sort of floor will be put down or plywood.

I think it'll be pretty cool though, already making plans to go.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 01-23-2018 01:04 PM

(01-23-2018 12:38 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 11:44 AM)gerhard911 Wrote:  This is an event that would more traditionally have occurred at the Coliseum. I'm fine with UC picking Niderlander's pockets! So long as no permanent changes or damage is done to Nippert, it's all good.

Except it's not. This is an outdoor only series.

I am pretty excited about this, actually. They did the Nitro World Games at Utah's football stadium. It was hard to tell if they put down an interlocking grid floor, or if it was the base. They certainly will not be driving on the turf, either some sort of floor will be put down or plywood.

I think it'll be pretty cool though, already making plans to go.

Yep. Checked their website and they have been playing at stadiums instead of arenas across the country (and internationally) due to the elevation they get.

Bottom line as long as they put money in UC's pocket and there is no permanent damage I am ok with it.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - gerhard911 - 01-23-2018 02:54 PM

Sorry, I conflated this with Arena Cross. Still nice that UC found a new revenue stream which (hopefully) benefits the AD.