CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 11-29-2017 01:08 PM

I guess the only sure thing is, unlike the Big 12, there will be expansion.

What a fiasco that was.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 11-29-2017 01:52 PM

Curveball: FCC gets in '19 to replace the constantly delayed Miami Beckhams, Nashville and Sacramento enter the year later.

Whatever happens, I'll be good with it. Get into MLS, Cincy area gets a cool new stadium, higher level soccer, another Big 5 sport in the city, possible biggish names. Or, stay in the USL, stay in HNS, UC still makes a little extra money, have rivalries with Louisville, Pittsburgh, Columbus' replacement USL team, St. Louis, Memphis, maybe Indy one day, and cheaper soccer.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 11-29-2017 03:07 PM

(11-29-2017 01:52 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Curveball: FCC gets in '19 to replace the constantly delayed Miami Beckhams, Nashville and Sacramento enter the year later.

Whatever happens, I'll be good with it. Get into MLS, Cincy area gets a cool new stadium, higher level soccer, another Big 5 sport in the city, possible biggish names. Or, stay in the USL, stay in HNS, UC still makes a little extra money, have rivalries with Louisville, Pittsburgh, Columbus' replacement USL team, St. Louis, Memphis, maybe Indy one day, and cheaper soccer.

I hope Cincy gets the MLS to have a major league backup to fill PBS when the Bengals use their gold-plated contract to demand stadium improvements the county can not afford. I really believe that if MLS comes here, whatever new stadium gets built is a fairly temporary fix.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 11-29-2017 03:21 PM

(11-29-2017 01:52 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Curveball: FCC gets in '19 to replace the constantly delayed Miami Beckhams, Nashville and Sacramento enter the year later.

I like the regional rivalry idea, and I believe that USL will consider a relegation model (within two USL leagues) at some point, which would be cool. I have zero faith, however, that the current ownership group will stick around if FC is in USL. They created the team largely as an investment, and that investment is predicated upon getting in to MLS.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - 50Cent - 11-30-2017 09:51 AM

I really think you are on to a very likely outcome.

One of Beckham’s partners has cast doubts on this. And at minimum it’s not likely in the near future. Whereas team 23 the LA team is ready to go.

So add Sacramento Cincinnati and Nashville now and collect $450MM.

Next round you add 1 and Miami if they are ready. Or if Miami is a no go, as two at $200MM a piece. So Detroit and Phoenix?

This all said, it’s really too bad that pro/rel has been removed from Us soccer equation due to MLS franchise fees. That could have been really great for interest and advancing the game level here.

And why did MLS include Canadian teams? No other league in the world, at least major world leagues, including England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, even Mexico...have teams from other countries.

So wonder where stadium will ultimatey get built. I’m thinking there is plenty of back room negotiating and pulling to get into West End or shall we call it OTR West.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatdp - 11-30-2017 10:16 AM

West End makes the most sense for redevelopment purposes. Oakley will be fine without a stadium (it actually might be better) but the West End could use an anchor. I know there are complications with land ownership, etc, but, since MLS wants teams to be in an Urban Core, the West End makes the most sense in that manner too. Who knows if it is viable but I think it would be better for the city to be here. I'm not a go downtown just to go downtown guy, nor do I live there, but I do like going to the city once in a while and Oakley is not the city.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatfan1211 - 11-30-2017 10:58 AM

(11-30-2017 09:51 AM)50Cent Wrote:  

One of Beckham’s partners has cast doubts on this. And at minimum it’s not likely in the near future. Whereas team 23 the LA team is ready to go.

Next round you add 1 and Miami if they are ready. Or if Miami is a no go, as two at $200MM a piece. So Detroit and Phoenix?

This all said, it’s really too bad that pro/rel has been removed from Us soccer equation due to MLS franchise fees. That could have been really great for interest and advancing the game level here.

And why did MLS include Canadian teams? No other league in the world, at least major world leagues, including England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, even Mexico...have teams from other countries.

So wonder where stadium will ultimatey get built. I’m thinking there is plenty of back room negotiating and pulling to get into West End or shall we call it OTR West.

England has Swansea and a host of others throughout the leagues that are from Wales.

France has Monaco which is a hybrid city/state/country depending on who you ask.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 11-30-2017 11:00 AM

(11-30-2017 10:58 AM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  

England has Swansea and a host of others throughout the leagues that are from Wales.

France has Monaco which is a hybrid city/state/country depending on who you ask.

The A-League (which I would consider a more likely current peer to MLS) has Wellington Pheonix from New Zealand

Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 11-30-2017 11:11 AM

There's also been rumors that if Catalonia was granted independence from Spain FC Barcelona may try to move to the premier league.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fc-barcelona-premier-league-la-liga-catalunya-catalan-independence-vote-ballot-a7975266.html?amp

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - 50Cent - 11-30-2017 11:13 AM

(11-30-2017 10:58 AM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  

Fair point re Swansea although Wales is a country that is part of the UK, so quite a bit different to thatn the US and Canada.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - 50Cent - 11-30-2017 11:15 AM

(11-30-2017 11:11 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  There's also been rumors that if Catalonia was granted independence from Spain FC Barcelona may try to move to the premier league.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fc-barcelona-premier-league-la-liga-catalunya-catalan-independence-vote-ballot-a7975266.html?amp

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 12-14-2017 08:51 AM

So is today the day for FCC? Heard five minutes of Cunningham while driving to lunch earlier this week and he was saying that Berding shared that he was 99% confident Cincinnati would get the MLS franchise. Cunningham suggested there were some complications now in both Sacramento and Nashville.

I'm not a soccer guy but I believe MLS would be good for our city. My observation has been that the ownership group here has moved forward with such confidence that I've wondered all along if they'd been privately assured of selection some time ago. I guess we'll find out soon.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 12-14-2017 09:12 AM

(12-14-2017 08:51 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  So is today the day for FCC? Heard five minutes of Cunningham while driving to lunch earlier this week and he was saying that Berding shared that he was 99% confident Cincinnati would get the MLS franchise. Cunningham suggested there were some complications now in both Sacramento and Nashville.

I'm not a soccer guy but I believe MLS would be good for our city. My observation has been that the ownership group here has moved forward with such confidence that I've wondered all along if they'd been privately assured of selection some time ago. I guess we'll find out soon.

There is some board meeting the MLS is having to decide the expansion cities. Technically there won't be an announcement today, but they are expected to make the decision today with an announcement coming on the 19th. However, I won't be surprised if there are leaks after today's meeting.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - jarr - 12-14-2017 09:17 AM

I've never watched a soccer game and it's not something that interests me that much. But if other people love it, good for them. However I gotta say, I've been impressed with the FCC ownership ever since they started. They definately have a high "give a sh*t factor". They believe and their product and are not bashful about pushing it every way possible and setting high expectations. Something I can't exactly say for our other two major sports franchises in town as well as the administration for our beloved Bearcats.

Ultimately my level of interest with FCC starts and stops with if I think it would in some way help or hurt UC Basketball and Football, directly or indirectly. And to a lesser extent the Reds, and to an even lesser extent the Bengals.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 12-14-2017 09:33 AM

(12-14-2017 09:12 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  I'm cautiously optimistic.

(12-14-2017 09:17 AM)jarr Wrote:  Ultimately my level of interest with FCC starts and stops with if I think it would in some way help or hurt UC Basketball and Football, directly or indirectly. And to a lesser extent the Reds, and to an even lesser extent the Bengals.

I was pessimistic but based on some things I've heard I now believe we're getting in.

As far as who gets hurt I'd say the Reds have the most overlap in seasons. The Bengals have issues now so it's not a great thing for them but the seasons only overlap significantly if FCC were to go deep in the playoffs. UC gets hurt as a university because when they leave Nippert we lose the rent and more importantly the exposure of non-traditional UC people visiting our beautiful campus. I see very little affect for UC athletics.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 12-14-2017 09:41 AM

I see the Cincinnati sports market as extremely oversaturated as it is...

Bearcats
Reds
Bengals
Cyclones
Xavier
FCC
NKU
Tremendous HS football scene
NCAA football juggernaut 100 miles north
NCAA basketball juggernaut 100 miles south
Huge Catholic population means plenty of Notre Dame fans
Heck, even Miami isn't too far away

For our market size, that is WAY too many programs for us to compete with for people's money and mindshare. I have always prayed for FCC's failure, for that reason alone. That goes double for the Bengals, since in addition to playing one of our revenue sports, they are also buttholes.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 12-14-2017 09:47 AM

(12-14-2017 09:41 AM)TubaCat Wrote:  I see the Cincinnati sports market as extremely oversaturated as it is...

Bearcats
Reds
Bengals
Cyclones
Xavier
FCC
NKU
Tremendous HS football scene
NCAA football juggernaut 100 miles north
NCAA basketball juggernaut 100 miles south
Huge Catholic population means plenty of Notre Dame fans
Heck, even Miami isn't too far away

For our market size, that is WAY too many programs for us to compete with for people's money and mindshare. I have always prayed for FCC's failure, for that reason alone. That goes double for the Bengals, since in addition to playing one of our revenue sports, they are also buttholes.

Not to mention advertising, air time on TV/radio, newspaper, etc.

Once FC goes to the MLS, all of this will increase substantially in this market (and we all know UC doesn't get enough of the above as it stands).

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 12-14-2017 09:58 AM

(12-14-2017 09:33 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  

(12-14-2017 09:17 AM)jarr Wrote:  Ultimately my level of interest with FCC starts and stops with if I think it would in some way help or hurt UC Basketball and Football, directly or indirectly. And to a lesser extent the Reds, and to an even lesser extent the Bengals.

I was pessimistic but based on some things I've heard I now believe we're getting in.

As far as who gets hurt I'd say the Reds have the most overlap in seasons. The Bengals have issues now so it's not a great thing for them but the seasons only overlap significantly if FCC were to go deep in the playoffs. UC gets hurt as a university because when they leave Nippert we lose the rent and more importantly the exposure of non-traditional UC people visiting our beautiful campus. I see very little affect for UC athletics.

Due to the generational divide in fan/spactators, I don't think there will really be much of an impact negatively for any team...hell this will probably just help to increase the profile of Cincinnati as a sporting town. I mean, a majority of the fans at FCC games probably don't even go to other sporting events.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 12-14-2017 10:01 AM

(12-14-2017 09:58 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Due to the generational divide in fan/spactators, I don't think there will really be much of an impact negatively for any team...hell this will probably just help to increase the profile of Cincinnati as a sporting town. I mean, a majority of the fans at FCC games probably don't even go to other sporting events.

Very true... the average age of MLB is 53. The Reds might even be on the high side of that.... the people that have remained the most loyal to them are the ones that remember the Big Red Machine. FC likely has very few over 53 going to the game.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 12-14-2017 10:37 AM

(12-14-2017 10:01 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 09:58 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Very true... the average age of MLB is 53. The Reds might even be on the high side of that.... the people that have remained the most loyal to them are the ones that remember the Big Red Machine. FC likely has very few over 53 going to the game.

Yep, I wouldn't underestimate the possibility that FCC carves out a completely new demographic--a unique audience. I don't see the blue collar Bengals fans warming up to the MLS in droves, no matter how bad the Bengals are.

I'm not terribly concerned about any impact on UC. I suspect FCC will continue playing in Nippert for at least 2-3 years. To me, the non-financial impact may be even greater than the financial; specifically getting suburban kids and their parents into the heart of our campus and seeing what a marvelous place it's become. Butch Jones said the hardest part of recruiting for UC football was getting locals on campus because of their preconceived notions about Uptown. If Fickell really gets it going, some of those folks will want to return to the venue.