CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - TubaCat - 11-16-2017 12:31 AM

(11-15-2017 10:57 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  It's amazing how Berding and Lindner are getting self-avowed anti-government spending uberconservatives like Bill Cunningham and Chris Smitherman to buy into the FCC framing hook, line, and sinker.

Listening to them you'd think the county does $75 million dollar giveaways to every fast food franchise that opens on a vacant lot.

Yes, it's almost as if some politicians draw attention to cutting government spending on things they don't like, but then quietly pump loads of money into things that wealthy interests do like.

That isn't too unusual for any politician, except for the fact that these politicians are masquerading as "conservatives." I'm not criticizing fiscal conservatism, just the hypocrites who hide behind that concept as a means to appease their wealthy interests.

Nevertheless, it seems that the taxpayers of Hamilton county may get a rare win against those wealthy interests with this FCC news. 04-cheers

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - SuperFlyBCat - 11-16-2017 06:39 AM

(11-15-2017 10:57 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  It's amazing how Berding and Lindner are getting self-avowed anti-government spending uberconservatives like Bill Cunningham and Chris Smitherman to buy into the FCC framing hook, line, and sinker.

Listening to them you'd think the county does $75 million dollar giveaways to every fast food franchise that opens on a vacant lot.

They are not that and never have been.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 11-16-2017 08:19 AM

(11-15-2017 10:13 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Yeah, I can buy that as part of the overall appeal for a few out of towners to consider a weekend or whatever in Cincinnati, but it's not like there are no other cities with a nearby body of water or a wealth of breweries or even a cool fancy farmer's market. Those are things you do when you are visiting Cincinnati, but they aren't big enough to be the main reason to visit Cincinnati. It's just hard to see any of them really moving the needle that much to be a difference maker. I'm not saying that MLS will have them flooding in, but it is the kind of thing that people will specifically come for on road trips etc. while also enhancing our overall appeal to the more casual visitors.

And let's not forget that big corporations do take notice of professional sports and culture when they are looking at where to put their headquarters and offices so as to appeal to the premiere employees from around the globe in many cases. I know we've heard forever that soccer is the future, but it does seem to finally be getting a bit of traction. It doesn't hurt their case that baseball seems to be struggling with the younger generation and football is struggling with concussions and politics and more importantly attendance and viewers. If Newport works, I personally don't have a problem with it. But I do think we will be kicking ourselves as a region over the next few decades and perhaps much longer if we let MLS slip through our fingers. The iron is hot right now...

I was thinking a compromise might be in order where the city uses parking revenue to build the parking garage and gets to collect the revenues to at least partially offset it. Then use half the $2.7M tax proceeds per year for 30 years for the other FCC infrastructure - which would still leave half for targeted projects like the Convention Center upgrades and perhaps the projects you mentioned if they were considered to aid tourism. FCC covers the remaining infrastructure costs and thus has the incentive to do it as efficiently as possible. But that might make too much sense to actually work...

also don’t forget that it appears Columbus is losing their mls franchise. If that does happen and mls awards cincinnati and Sacramento it looks like FCC could dominate a pretty large region as far as soccer fandom goes. I suppose people in Louisville could stay loyal to usl team but I think there’s a possibility that FCC captures a whole lot of people from outside of Cincy/NKy.

And I agree completely that the trajectory of MLB and NFL look awful. And I think politics,while temporary, is a very small part of their problem. I completely understand why voters and city council would be against another stadium deal but I also think they bet on the wrong sport awhile ago and in the not too distant future they could have a useless stadium to add to the already useless arena along the river.

As a NKY resident I would gladly pay a bit to have the stadium in Newport. If they ask Kenton county residents to pay and I had a chance to vote I’d vote for it without a second thought. I’m firmly against corporate welfare but with all of the other ridiculous crap that my taxes pay for I’d gladly write a check to The Lindners.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 11-16-2017 09:55 AM

Call it GCNK FC or CVG FC all frequent flyers understand the later.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat1010 - 11-16-2017 12:59 PM

(11-16-2017 08:19 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 10:13 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Yeah, I can buy that as part of the overall appeal for a few out of towners to consider a weekend or whatever in Cincinnati, but it's not like there are no other cities with a nearby body of water or a wealth of breweries or even a cool fancy farmer's market. Those are things you do when you are visiting Cincinnati, but they aren't big enough to be the main reason to visit Cincinnati. It's just hard to see any of them really moving the needle that much to be a difference maker. I'm not saying that MLS will have them flooding in, but it is the kind of thing that people will specifically come for on road trips etc. while also enhancing our overall appeal to the more casual visitors.

And let's not forget that big corporations do take notice of professional sports and culture when they are looking at where to put their headquarters and offices so as to appeal to the premiere employees from around the globe in many cases. I know we've heard forever that soccer is the future, but it does seem to finally be getting a bit of traction. It doesn't hurt their case that baseball seems to be struggling with the younger generation and football is struggling with concussions and politics and more importantly attendance and viewers. If Newport works, I personally don't have a problem with it. But I do think we will be kicking ourselves as a region over the next few decades and perhaps much longer if we let MLS slip through our fingers. The iron is hot right now...

I was thinking a compromise might be in order where the city uses parking revenue to build the parking garage and gets to collect the revenues to at least partially offset it. Then use half the $2.7M tax proceeds per year for 30 years for the other FCC infrastructure - which would still leave half for targeted projects like the Convention Center upgrades and perhaps the projects you mentioned if they were considered to aid tourism. FCC covers the remaining infrastructure costs and thus has the incentive to do it as efficiently as possible. But that might make too much sense to actually work...

also don’t forget that it appears Columbus is losing their mls franchise. If that does happen and mls awards cincinnati and Sacramento it looks like FCC could dominate a pretty large region as far as soccer fandom goes. I suppose people in Louisville could stay loyal to usl team but I think there’s a possibility that FCC captures a whole lot of people from outside of Cincy/NKy.

And I agree completely that the trajectory of MLB and NFL look awful. And I think politics,while temporary, is a very small part of their problem. I completely understand why voters and city council would be against another stadium deal but I also think they bet on the wrong sport awhile ago and in the not too distant future they could have a useless stadium to add to the already useless arena along the river.

As a NKY resident I would gladly pay a bit to have the stadium in Newport. If they ask Kenton county residents to pay and I had a chance to vote I’d vote for it without a second thought. I’m firmly against corporate welfare but with all of the other ridiculous crap that my taxes pay for I’d gladly write a check to The Lindners.

Based on the current $hit-show in Columbus, MLS has done a great job poisoning the well for any future central Ohio FCC fans. I hope FCC gets a team and it is wildly successful - I just expect the hurt feelings to last up here for quite a few years.

Anyone interested in a PR failure and tone deaf messaging should look at how MLS and ownership has handled the Crew relocation. It's 2017... facts, data, and verifiable timeline information are all readily available to the public. Yet every message from PSV and MLS has been laughably spun for maximum idiocy. It's like an MLS remake of Major League without any laughs.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - crex043 - 11-16-2017 01:36 PM

I wouldn't count on Columbus Crew fans to turn their support to FC Cincinnati. A lot of people in Columbus don't even know Cincinnati merely exists, much less will they throw their support behind a Cincinnati-based entity.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - glacier_dropsy - 11-16-2017 01:44 PM

#KeepCincyMinorLeague

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 11-16-2017 02:01 PM

(11-16-2017 01:36 PM)crex043 Wrote:  I wouldn't count on Columbus Crew fans to turn their support to FC Cincinnati. A lot of people in Columbus don't even know Cincinnati merely exists, much less will they throw their support behind a Cincinnati-based entity.

Correct. To a lot of those folks,, the southern tip of Ohio ends at the Stringtown Road Exit on 71.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatJerry - 11-16-2017 04:34 PM

(11-16-2017 01:36 PM)crex043 Wrote:  I wouldn't count on Columbus Crew fans to turn their support to FC Cincinnati. A lot of people in Columbus don't even know Cincinnati merely exists, much less will they throw their support behind a Cincinnati-based entity.
^^^^
This.

Columbus, in my experience, is extremely parochial. Cincinnati might as well be in a different country.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-16-2017 04:40 PM

I love the Lindners. This town is their personal ATM. Cranley, one of their political peeps, is getting ready to unveil the city's financial plan for FC Cincinnati. Lube up.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 11-16-2017 06:25 PM

We don't want those illegals coming to Cincinnati anyway.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 11-16-2017 06:43 PM

(11-16-2017 06:25 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
We don't want those illegals coming to Cincinnati anyway.

There wasn't that much support in Columbus was there? They won't venture down into Bearcat Country to watch FCC play, especially if they pick up their own minor league team to backfill for the Crew.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 11-16-2017 07:17 PM

(11-16-2017 04:34 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Columbus, in my experience, is extremely parochial. Cincinnati might as well be in a different country.

I have no interest in Columbus sports; I wouldn't expect us to have any in ours. Especially in a sport where their team is getting taken.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - InspectorHound - 11-16-2017 10:00 PM

Berding on today's Cunningham show

"If the county forks over the $75M and builds a garage for you, are you willing to let them take the revenue from the garage?"

"Absolutely not. It's non-negotiable for us to give up parking revenue."

Who the f is he kidding

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 11-16-2017 10:14 PM

(11-16-2017 10:00 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  Berding on today's Cunningham show

"If the county forks over the $75M and builds a garage for you, are you willing to let them take the revenue from the garage?"

Who the f is he kidding

How is this not taking taxpayer money?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearhawkeye - 11-16-2017 10:36 PM

(11-16-2017 10:14 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

Who the f is he kidding

How is this not taking taxpayer money?

Agreed. He shoots his own argument in the foot by taking that position.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-16-2017 10:40 PM

The commissioners should revamp option B to nada.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - SuperFlyBCat - 11-16-2017 10:53 PM

Used Cars (1980)
Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs. You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a ***** stayed bought.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 11-16-2017 10:57 PM

"Absolutely not. It's non-negotiable for us to give up parking revenue on gameday."

Who the f is he kidding

I edited in the rest of the quote in bold, for those who didn't actually listen.

Just wanted to be accurate.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - InspectorHound - 11-16-2017 11:07 PM

Well, yes - He says he's willing to negotiate on non-gameday parking revenue because he doesn't expect there to be any.