CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 11-14-2017 11:16 PM

(11-14-2017 09:36 PM)50Cent Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 09:07 PM)levydl Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 07:39 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Hey, if it's ONLY $2.8 million/yr, why should that hold them back? Just jack up the prices at UDF to cover it. Sick of billionaires running with their hands open to beg money off the public, but pushing for personal tax breaks for themselves behind the scenes.

The way Lindner implied that the city/county owed him for all that his family has done for Cincinnati is obscene. He's an argument for upping the estate tax.

Let’s just be Dayton. Or Lexington.

Cities like Nashville are growing while Cincinnati has shrunk, and the flight out of Hamilton County continues.

Rath, I’m quite sure you didn’t protest the money and tax relief given to gE and other projects in this city. This isn’t the Bengals or the Reds deal. Not even remotely close.

Bengals will be ...should be left to leave in 10 years. Then why will be here? I’ll take this franchise all day over the hapless bengals or reds.

Hopefully they can win the bid with Newport. It’s really a shame that this city and county will miss out on a chance to really add to development of another area of the city other than otr.

The county commissioners will really look minor league-ish and laughable when they propose PBS. Clearly they haven’t followed any of the MLS news of late. Where is aDetroit and Ford Field at in this final 3? PBS plan gives the bids to Nashville and Sacramento. Growing cities with a sport that’s on the rise. nFL and football hit their peak and bengals can’t even fill pbs.

I don’t know why people think a soccer stadium will spur development? It certainly didn’t work for the area around Mapfre. Quite frankly, Oakley is doing fine on its own. A stadium would be nice, but I think FCC likes the area for what it is, not for what it can be.

You can’t possibly be comparing GE incentives to soccer benefits. 2,000 High-paying jobs. Plus GE is already a HUGE presence in this city, and is an important partner with UC on a number of different fronts.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 11-15-2017 12:22 AM

So, they are gonna foot the bill for the whole stadium, but want help getting roadways, street lights/signs etc., and some extra parking taken care. That sounds entirely reasonable and exactly what everybody all over the country, not just here, have been saying they wanted when it comes to rich folk and their stadia. But alas...

In the end, this Portune guy is gonna blow it anyway with a PBS proposal, and it is going to end up in Newport. By the way, im totally cool with that. I think it would be a cool addition to the downtown area and would certainly add to the aesthetic of our city. Could be cool to have stadiums on both sides of the river. Now, just gotta tear down US Bank and put in a modern arena, or anything that's not a total eyesore really...

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bctn8n - 11-15-2017 06:28 AM

(11-14-2017 11:16 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 07:39 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Hey, if it's ONLY $2.8 million/yr, why should that hold them back? Just jack up the prices at UDF to cover it. Sick of billionaires running with their hands open to beg money off the public, but pushing for personal tax breaks for themselves behind the scenes.

The way Lindner implied that the city/county owed him for all that his family has done for Cincinnati is obscene. He's an argument for upping the estate tax.

Cities like Nashville are growing while Cincinnati has shrunk, and the flight out of Hamilton County continues.

Rath, I’m quite sure you didn’t protest the money and tax relief given to gE and other projects in this city. This isn’t the Bengals or the Reds deal. Not even remotely close.

Bengals will be ...should be left to leave in 10 years. Then why will be here? I’ll take this franchise all day over the hapless bengals or reds.

Hopefully they can win the bid with Newport. It’s really a shame that this city and county will miss out on a chance to really add to development of another area of the city other than otr.

The county commissioners will really look minor league-ish and laughable when they propose PBS. Clearly they haven’t followed any of the MLS news of late. Where is aDetroit and Ford Field at in this final 3? PBS plan gives the bids to Nashville and Sacramento. Growing cities with a sport that’s on the rise. nFL and football hit their peak and bengals can’t even fill pbs.

I don’t know why people think a soccer stadium will spur development? It certainly didn’t work for the area around Mapfre. Quite frankly, Oakley is doing fine on its own. A stadium would be nice, but I think FCC likes the area for what it is, not for what it can be.

You can’t possibly be comparing GE incentives to soccer benefits. 2,000 High-paying jobs. Plus GE is already a HUGE presence in this city, and is an important partner with UC on a number of different fronts.

These are not 2000 high paying jobs. Also they only get said tax breaks if they reach 2000 employees which they will not anytime soon with the current state of the company unless they close area offices and bring them to the banks.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-15-2017 07:44 AM

FCC fans often seem to operate under the premise that they are the vocal majority on this. Vocal, but nowhere close to majority.

Folks in the county don't support spending a dime of public funding on this and the commission who very much enjoy their jobs know it.

We are all about to have to spend $5 more in fees (tax) a year forever just to renew tags on our cars in Hamilton County to fund the initial $30 million in bond interest just to get the Western Hills Viaduct Project moving and now a second generation of Lindners feels entitled to having this city give them taxpayer money to operate their private venture. Screw them.

Newport, Ky is .1 miles that way >

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2017/11/14/px-thank-you-lindner-family-but-we-dont-owe-you-soccer-stadium/864120001/

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 11-15-2017 08:22 AM

(11-15-2017 07:44 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  FCC fans often seem to operate under the premise that they are the vocal majority on this. Vocal, but nowhere close to majority.

Folks in the county don't support spending a dime of public funding on this and the commission who very much enjoy their jobs know it.

We are all about to have to spend $5 more in fees (tax) a year forever just to renew tags on our cars in Hamilton County to fund the initial $30 million in bond interest just to get the Western Hills Viaduct Project moving and now a second generation of Lindners feels entitled to having this city give them taxpayer money to operate their private venture. Screw them.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2017/11/14/px-thank-you-lindner-family-but-we-dont-owe-you-soccer-stadium/864120001/

I agree with the sentiment of not using public money on private ventures...but, playing devil's advocate for a second, where are the Commission planning on using this fund if not for something explicitly defined by the parameters of the fund and which will be a public use project? As long as they have an answer to that question that makes sense, then I'm fine with the stadium being built in Newport (and would much prefer it anyways outside of the funding argument as well).

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-15-2017 08:30 AM

That's part of the problem nobody is talking about. The way the local ordinance was written it supposed to be used for things like improvement of Duke energy center and the Sharonville convention center along with other visitors bureau items. This would likely end up in court just like the federal court case going on in Clermont County because the commissioners there are trying to use that tax to give the Lindner family money for a new practice facility. Once again screw them they are not owed anything and this money was not designated for that use. It's not a slush fund for their private venture.

We are conditioned to say it's not being used so it's really not costing taxpayers any more money. Once committed to some silly sports venture run by a private billionaire family, they're gone. So how do we make those up when needed at some point? You got it...raise taxes somewhere else or cut services, etc.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Crewdogz - 11-15-2017 08:45 AM

(11-15-2017 07:44 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  FCC fans often seem to operate under the premise that they are the vocal majority on this. Vocal, but nowhere close to majority.

I agree 100% on this, Newport $$$ will still be spent in Cincinnati.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 11-15-2017 08:45 AM

(11-15-2017 08:30 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  That's part of the problem nobody is talking about. The way the local ordinance was written it supposed to be used for things like improvement of Duke energy center and the Sharonville convention center along with other visitors bureau items. This would likely end up in court just like the federal court case going on in Clermont County because the commissioners there are trying to use that tax to give the Lindner family money for a new practice facility. Once again screw them they are not owed anything and this money was not designated for that use. It's not a slush fund for their private venture.

We are conditioned to say it's not being used so it's really not hosting the party. Any more money. Will not find his unit for some silly sports venture run by a private family they're gone. So how do we make those up when needed at some point? You got it...raise taxes somewhere else or cut services, etc.

Exactly. We've seen this before. Remember when the uber wealth owners of US Bank Arena decided at the last minute that if UC would drop their own 5th/3rd Arena renovation plans and move off campus, then a re-do of the downtown facility would happen. The Lindners are trying to strong arm the county to use public funds for purposes they weren't intended for to aid their private business venture and then scapegoat the commission if they say no. They may have overplayed their hand in this case because probably 99% of county voters don't give a damn about professional soccer and couldn't tell you the difference between their current league and the MLS.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 11-15-2017 08:52 AM

(11-15-2017 08:30 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  That's part of the problem nobody is talking about. The way the local ordinance was written it supposed to be used for things like improvement of Duke energy center and the Sharonville convention center along with other visitors bureau items. This would likely end up in court just like the federal court case going on in Clermont County because the commissioners there are trying to use that tax to give the Lindner family money for a new practice facility. Once again screw them they are not owed anything and this money was not designated for that use. It's not a slush fund for their private venture.

We are conditioned to say it's not being used so it's really not costing taxpayers any more money. Once committed to some silly sports venture run by a private billionaire family, they're gone. So how do we make those up when needed at some point? You got it...raise taxes somewhere else or cut services, etc.

If that's true, then I would understand their lack of agreement in the use of the fund. The way it has been presented by both FCC and the Enquirer and other media pieces is that the fund itself is designated for improvements of any entertainment/tourism venture, not specific for DEC or Sharonville.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 11-15-2017 08:54 AM

(11-14-2017 11:16 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

I don’t know why people think a soccer stadium will spur development? It certainly didn’t work for the area around Mapfre.

Ill hop in here. The area around Mapfre can't be developed as it is owned by the state. The stadium sits in the state fair grounds. Mapfre was quickly, and "cheaply" built at a time when the idea of building a soccer specific stadium was seen as a poor move. The Crew only have to pay $50,000 a year for use of the land... in ways their current home is a sweetheart deal, and in other ways it is the root of our problems.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 11-15-2017 09:00 AM

If we aren't going to give money to redo US Bank Arena (which would be used FAR more than a soccer stadium) then we certainly don't need to be giving money to a soccer team. Newport and Covington have gotten revenue from Bengals and Reds fans for decades, let them pony up money.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-15-2017 09:03 AM

The entire premise behind this is batshit crazy. Brand new business venture in just year 2. Small percentage of city supports fervently. To make this a huge financial success needs to get the MLS bid. To get that bid, needs a stadium commitment. Tries to float idea of public stadium. Gets the heisman big time. Now says they will privately fund it 100% but needs $75 million of taxpayer funds not designaled for this purpose to do so (that must be new math since 100% means something else to me) and other piles of tax incentives....for their private venture to go where they prefer it to go just to have a chance to get the possible MLS bid to make said billionaire and his rich pals a pile of money.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 11-15-2017 09:07 AM

(11-15-2017 09:00 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  If we aren't going to give money to redo US Bank Arena (which would be used FAR more than a soccer stadium) then we certainly don't need to be giving money to a soccer team. Newport and Covington have gotten revenue from Bengals and Reds fans for decades, let them pony up money.

In fact, I think Hamilton County tried to get help from Northern Kentucky counties for the past stadium deal based on the premise they would also supposedly benefit from it and they said no way.
If Kentucky can give tax breaks to the flat Earth museum and such, then they can also pony up for the soccer gods.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - dubcat14 - 11-15-2017 09:11 AM

(11-15-2017 12:22 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  So, they are gonna foot the bill for the whole stadium, but want help getting roadways, street lights/signs etc., and some extra parking taken care. That sounds entirely reasonable and exactly what everybody all over the country, not just here, have been saying they wanted when it comes to rich folk and their stadia. But alas...

In the end, this Portune guy is gonna blow it anyway with a PBS proposal, and it is going to end up in Newport. By the way, im totally cool with that. I think it would be a cool addition to the downtown area and would certainly add to the aesthetic of our city. Could be cool to have stadiums on both sides of the river. Now, just gotta tear down US Bank and put in a modern arena, or anything that's not a total eyesore really...

This has me scratching my head why people are up in arms over the deal as well. The way I’m reading it, all the Lindners are asking for is for the city/county to spend some money to build roads, intersections, lights, signage, etc. around the stadium - which, if you go up and down Madison road between 7am and 9pm needs some relief with or without a stadium.

Am I crazy for thinking the Lindners aren’t asking for much, just asking the city to invest a bit in the surrounding area, using money set aside for that sole purpose? Crazy concept.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-15-2017 09:15 AM

(11-15-2017 08:52 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

If that's true, then I would understand their lack of agreement in the use of the fund. The way it has been presented by both FCC and the Enquirer and other media pieces is that the fund itself is designated for improvements of any entertainment/tourism venture, not specific for DEC or Sharonville.

I'm sure it is no shock to people that Berding the former pol and hired shill who learned from the knee of Bob Bedinghaus who wrote the book on how to raid public coffers for wealthy Cincinnati sports families has a unique angle he is cultivating.

Per the county web page that discusses the use of this tax:

Quote:This division is responsible for the administration of the county lodging excise tax. The main functions include the collection and distribution of tax receipts and the conducting of audits of hotels and motels to ensure compliance with the tax regulations. The total county lodging tax is 6.5% and is distributed as follows:

3% is used primarily to support the Cincinnati USA Convention and Visitors Bureau , whose mission is to positively impact the Greater Cincinnati area economy through convention, trade show, and visitor expenditures. The remainder of this portion of the tax is returned to the municipal corporations and unincorporated areas in the county that have hotels but do not levy a separate lodging tax.

3.5% (effective December 1, 2002) is earmarked to the renovation and expansion of downtown Cincinnati's Duke Energy Convention Center and the Sharonville Convention Center , and other capital projects that will drive increased tourism.

The other projects that will expand and drive tourism provision is what their banking on. Like I said this could end up in federal court just like Clermont County is for getting their hand caught in the same cookie jar...rightly so because this is nothing but a tithe to the Lindner Ducal Estate.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 11-15-2017 09:19 AM

(11-15-2017 09:15 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

I'm sure it is no shock to people that Berding the former pol and hired shill who learned from the knee of Bob Bedinghaus who wrote the book on how to raid public coffers for wealthy Cincinnati sports families has a unique angle he is cultivating.

Quote:This division is responsible for the administration of the county lodging excise tax. The main functions include the collection and distribution of tax receipts and the conducting of audits of hotels and motels to ensure compliance with the tax regulations. The total county lodging tax is 6.5% and is distributed as follows:

3% is used primarily to support the Cincinnati USA Convention and Visitors Bureau , whose mission is to positively impact the Greater Cincinnati area economy through convention, trade show, and visitor expenditures. The remainder of this portion of the tax is returned to the municipal corporations and unincorporated areas in the county that have hotels but do not levy a separate lodging tax.

3.5% (effective December 1, 2002) is earmarked to the renovation and expansion of downtown Cincinnati's Duke Energy Convention Center and the Sharonville Convention Center , and other capital projects that will drive increased tourism.

That last bit is what they're banking on, and it's pretty clear they're using the language (and punctuation) in the code to try to force it through. They're arguing that a project like this will bring tourism (and it will, because there are such thing as visiting fans). I think they've got a fairly decent argument to use some of that tax....the bigger questions is where is the money that the county has been collecting for 15 years and how has it been used for improvements of those facilities.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatdp - 11-15-2017 09:19 AM

I never, ever, ever give politicians credit, because their line of business sucks and it is slimy. I am also a fiscal conservative and don't believe in the government giving away taxpayer money for "wants" (in the 80's in 4th grade Social Studies at St. Dominic in Delhi we talked about needs vs. wants - it stuck with me). However, the commissioners are kind of getting their way here. Initially, FCC wanted something along the lines of $100 million to help build this stadium. Well, FCC came up with this money. Now they want the TIF. I agree, it would be better if this money went towards other roads, police, schools, convention center updates, etc. but has this money been bookmarked for any of these uses today? If not, maybe the county/city can negotiate some donations from the team/family for these types of things, naming rights, etc. The Lindners and their companies have done a ton for the city. It does not give them the right to demand or expect anything from the city. Maybe there can be some negotiation to get this done.

This brings up the question as to whether FCC in Oakley will actually lead to development. Oakley is actually doing pretty well right now, right? That area is developing pretty well...lots of new buildings, businesses, etc. Oakley doesn't "need" FCC and their stadium. We do want to be a dynamic city and MLS appears to be a growing league. If MLS doesn't have our city/region on the hook due to debt ("investment" - which isn't good unless we make money...cough cough Bengals), then I am fine with this deal. The types of businesses around the stadium will probably change - an entertainment district will probably be created allowing drinking, eating, funning before and after games, and when games aren't happening. Can Cincy handle another one of these areas? That's a good question.

I have not been to an FCC game. I plan on going with my kids at some point but, if FCC went away tomorrow, I probably wouldn't be affected much by it. (I, actually, would be fine if the Bengals did the same thing, but that is because of how poorly they are run...different story.) I do believe that FCC can be a source of community pride, give us another team to root for and will actually be run by, what appears to be, a dynamic ownership group, if the owners are truly putting their money where their mouths are. If, in the end, we are on the hook for road improvements and whatever else is needed infrastructure-wise for this stadium, it seems like the same type of stuff would be needed to attract a company to our area. Would this prevent that? What is the total amount the county will have to pay for these changes? These are all things to weigh. I just think this could be a good long term agreement.

Bottom line - I don't know much about the financial implications of this proposal. This city/county has been burned in the past on these agreements and I understand the hesitancy. It appears FCC is going to make the investment here. The team is definitely gaining from this - if they weren't, they wouldn't be doing this. I just don't think it is a bad of a deal as the one past politicians have given (emphasis on given) to the Bengals and Reds. I know I'm comparing it to the extreme but it appears this deal is closer to the one Jerry Jones got in Dallas vs. the one Mike Brown got here.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatdp - 11-15-2017 09:28 AM

P Doc weighs in. I don't always agree with him (he's an opinion man so I don't expect to) but his thinking is similar to mine. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2017/11/14/paul-daugherty-fc-cincinnati-stadium-deal-wont-get-better-than/864518001/

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - cpawfan - 11-15-2017 09:30 AM

Best thing about this stadium nonsense is we are that much closer to being able to move all FC Cincinnati threads to the CTip forum

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 11-15-2017 09:36 AM

(11-15-2017 09:19 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 09:15 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

That last bit is what they're banking on, and it's pretty clear they're using the language (and punctuation) in the code to try to force it through. They're arguing that a project like this will bring tourism (and it will, because there are such thing as visiting fans). I think they've got a fairly decent argument to use some of that tax....the bigger questions is where is the money that the county has been collecting for 15 years and how has it been used for improvements of those facilities.

The thing about those provisions is they require lots of data and studies and committees and hard information that backs up that claim of the ROI on the front end before any decisions are arbitrarily made to allocate thise taxpayer funds for "other" improvements not specifically delineated. You don't get to just allocate the money because it feels right or people voice an opinion about it.

And once again, when those funds have been spent to benefit a private family and their private venture and then the convention centers and other visitors bureau items need to be addressed financially, and they will as day follows night, tell me where those funds come from? You are a smart guy and already know the answer to that.