CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 10-17-2017 09:15 AM

(10-17-2017 09:13 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 09:01 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  UPDATE: Columbus Crew SC owner explains his interest in moving to Austin
http://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer/update-columbus-crew-owner-explains-his-interest-moving-austin/gXduiAnet8xFjLuFuUGWPP/

What a sh!t, slimy move. Without Columbus and that stadium, MLS probably looks totally different right now.

Why Austin? Move from one college obsessed market to a smaller college obsessed market...

It seems inevitable that Columbus moves, and that actually makes our potential move to MLS... much less enticing. That would have been a huge, entertaining rivalry. If they move, I'd rather FCC stay in USL so we can play Louisville, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Nashville, maybe a Columbus USL team, hopefully Indy Eleven once NASL finally burns to the ground. Much like college football, rivalries make soccer all the more fun. I think it would be a shame to lose an MLS FCC-Columbus matchup.

Easy answer...closer to the population who watch soccer.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 10-17-2017 09:17 AM

(10-17-2017 09:07 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 09:02 AM)Banter Wrote:  Congrats on your new inevitable move to the MLS. I am gutted, and don't believe I can support any american soccer team, nor the USMNT after the MLS pulls this stunt. Absolutely devastated...

Looks like Garber is 100% for the relocation.

Looking back on everything the fan base should have seen this coming. The owner somewhat sabotaged Columbus to make his true dream a reality. It all started with a TV deal that basically blacked out all games in Central Ohio to kill fan interest.

Now the unreported clause in the contract that Precourt had to keep the team in Columbus for 10 years unless a move to Austin was possible.

We all knew our stadium was a hindrance to our attendance, but Precourt and the MLS don't seem to want to give Columbus time...they just want out of the market, and I bet they want Cincinnati in.

Its devastating.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 10-17-2017 09:23 AM

(10-17-2017 09:15 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 09:01 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  UPDATE: Columbus Crew SC owner explains his interest in moving to Austin
http://www.statesman.com/sports/soccer/update-columbus-crew-owner-explains-his-interest-moving-austin/gXduiAnet8xFjLuFuUGWPP/

What a sh!t, slimy move. Without Columbus and that stadium, MLS probably looks totally different right now.

Why Austin? Move from one college obsessed market to a smaller college obsessed market...

It seems inevitable that Columbus moves, and that actually makes our potential move to MLS... much less enticing. That would have been a huge, entertaining rivalry. If they move, I'd rather FCC stay in USL so we can play Louisville, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Nashville, maybe a Columbus USL team, hopefully Indy Eleven once NASL finally burns to the ground. Much like college football, rivalries make soccer all the more fun. I think it would be a shame to lose an MLS FCC-Columbus matchup.

College kids? They're trading Ohio State for Texas, is there a difference? Or do you mean something else? These questions aren't sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. I'd think southern Texas kids would be less inclined to care about soccer than northerners.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatmark - 10-17-2017 09:24 AM

(10-17-2017 09:23 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  

College kids? They're trading Ohio State for Texas, is there a difference? Or do you mean something else? These questions aren't sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. I'd think southern Texas kids would be less inclined to care about soccer than northerners.

Much bigger Hispanic population I presume. MLS has had a lot of success in those kind of markets.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 10-17-2017 09:26 AM

I assume he is talking about the large Hispanic population in Austin. Actually, outsiders are often surprised about the large number of Mexicans and Central Americans in Columbus. What's more they have a very large number of African Immigrants as well who are all big soccer supporters.

With respects to the immigrants, I haven't looked into it, but I wonder how many of them support the local MLS teams vs. a team from their native land?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 10-17-2017 09:30 AM

I believe Anthony Precourt is from Austin/Texas. He comes from Oil money but lives in Northern California

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 10-17-2017 09:35 AM

The Hispanic population. Ok, I can buy that. Isn't FC Dallas struggling attendance wise though compared to the rest of MLS? Or was that last year, or am I making things up? Sure, it's farther north, but it's much larger than Austin. It seems they really want this Austin market enough to bail on the OG MLS city, so there's obviously more at play than I understand. Still, it's a damn shame for Columbus and it's fans.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 10-17-2017 09:50 AM

(10-17-2017 09:35 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  The Hispanic population. Ok, I can buy that. Isn't FC Dallas struggling attendance wise though compared to the rest of MLS? Or was that last year, or am I making things up? Sure, it's farther north, but it's much larger than Austin. It seems they really want this Austin market enough to bail on the OG MLS city, so there's obviously more at play than I understand. Still, it's a damn shame for Columbus and it's fans.

Oh, there is a preponderance of evidence stating that Austin will be a bad move and that this move, and the arguments for it, was all manufactured by the Crew ownership. They limit the cable partners they have, then complain about tv viewership...they increase ticket prices and don't touch the stadium at all in 5 years, and complain about attendance despite the Crew being within 500 of the league average this year AND having a 5% increase in season ticket buys...they complain about the stadium then won't do proper business with the city. This ownership group was handpicked by the MLS Commissioner's office to do the dirty work and move to a "hotter" market, that truthfully has no evidence of being "hotter" at all.

I think that once a viable option for a few of the other cities in the Midwest popped up, they expedited this whole process. The ownership group originally signed a 10 year agreement, but put in a single city out (Austin) and I think once FC Cincinnati popped up and once Gores and Gilbert got behind the Detroit bid, they had all they needed to move forward sooner.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 10-17-2017 09:51 AM

Excuse me while I have a Cincinnati Royals flashback...

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - cpawfan - 10-17-2017 10:05 AM

Another reason to make the Linders pay for their own stadium without taxpayer help.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 10-17-2017 10:14 AM

They need Les Wexner to step up and buy the team.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 10-17-2017 10:30 AM

I hate what this move means (ie. I was hoping that soccer would be different in this country), but Austin is the 11th largest city in the nation now.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 10-17-2017 10:32 AM

(10-17-2017 10:30 AM)geef Wrote:  

I hate what this move means (ie. I was hoping that soccer would be different in this country), but Austin is the 11th largest city in the nation now.

Yeah...it's funny to think just how different soccer is in the rest of the world. Alas, if we had pro/rel, owners wouldn't be able to hold cities and counties hostage like they love doing in America.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 10-17-2017 10:37 AM

(10-17-2017 10:32 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yeah...it's funny to think just how different soccer is in the rest of the world. Alas, if we had pro/rel, owners wouldn't be able to hold cities and counties hostage like they love doing in America.

Exactly.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 10-17-2017 10:39 AM

(10-17-2017 10:37 AM)geef Wrote:  

Exactly.

Argument 1.a for why it'll never happen in America.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 10-17-2017 10:45 AM

(10-17-2017 10:39 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 09:13 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  What a sh!t, slimy move. Without Columbus and that stadium, MLS probably looks totally different right now.

Exactly.

It may happen between in a USL1/ USL2 setup, but not MLS.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 10-17-2017 10:49 AM

I know Cincinnati is slightly larger than Columbus but Columbus is growing and the only other pro franchise is the NHL. Seems a stupid move to take a team out of Columbus only to grant us an expansion team.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 10-17-2017 11:05 AM

(10-17-2017 10:14 AM)doss2 Wrote:  They need Les Wexner to step up and buy the team.

Per Grant Wahl at SI

Quote:Alex Fischer, the president and CEO of the Columbus Partnership, a group of 60 Columbus business leaders and CEOs, said Precourt had rejected offers to buy 100 percent and 50 percent of the Crew by a group of local business and community leaders in Columbus. (On Tuesday, Precourt denied that there had been offers to buy the team.)

“We met with ownership a month ago to discuss their stadium study and plans and ideas for a new stadium in Columbus,” Fischer told SI.com. “Those conversations turned up the fact that ownership had been in extensive conversations over the last number of months with leaders in Austin about a possible new stadium and moving the team there.”

Seems to me Precourt bought this team in 2013 with intentions to never stay and to move once he could build a case to do so. The budgets inside the crew organization were slashed, and the first move he made was a terrible TV deal that basically blacked out all of Columbus. It seems this was all part of a plan.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 10-17-2017 11:08 AM

(10-17-2017 10:45 AM)geef Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 10:39 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 10:30 AM)geef Wrote:  I hate what this move means (ie. I was hoping that soccer would be different in this country), but Austin is the 11th largest city in the nation now.

Exactly.

It may happen between in a USL1/ USL2 setup, but not MLS.

Which doesn't matter at all, so the point is moot.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 10-17-2017 11:18 AM

Not sure pro/rel in the US is a good thing. How does getting Bethlehem or Rochester into the top division help a game that's growing. We need good teams in good markets. We need people to make large investments in the sport which they're not going to do if they could get relegated.

To spin this in another direction another stadium built in 1999 no longer good enough. Mike Brown is going to be starting preliminary talks within 3 years I'm sure.