CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 02-25-2017 12:58 PM

(02-24-2017 08:43 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 08:33 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 07:01 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 05:17 PM)RedRocker Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 10:00 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  Again, yes it is still a big IF as far as FC Cincy going to the MLS and still playing in Nippert, but when you really look at what UC is facing as far as all of the realignment BS goes, it is a real possibility that UC football won't be around in a decade or two. It's a great gamble with huge upside and very little downside.

Dumbest comment I've seen on here in awhile. 01-wingedeagle

Hmmm, very next comment after you might have taken the cake.

No one that thinks there's a possibility that uc football won't be around in 20 years? Maybe I'm extraordinarily pessimistic but to me it seems like an unsustainable model as is. If UC doesn't get the big boy invite 5 or so years I think the decent will begin.

Hell, UConn is darn close to nuking their football program right now.

I think you're just extraordinarily pessimistic...

I honestly hope that I am. How long do you think UC can/will continue to spend on football at the current amounts without a P5 invite?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - jarr - 02-25-2017 01:15 PM

(02-25-2017 12:58 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 08:43 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 08:33 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 07:01 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 05:17 PM)RedRocker Wrote:  Dumbest comment I've seen on here in awhile. :wingedeagle:

Hmmm, very next comment after you might have taken the cake.

No one that thinks there's a possibility that uc football won't be around in 20 years? Maybe I'm extraordinarily pessimistic but to me it seems like an unsustainable model as is. If UC doesn't get the big boy invite 5 or so years I think the decent will begin.

Hell, UConn is darn close to nuking their football program right now.

I think you're just extraordinarily pessimistic...

I honestly hope that I am. How long do you think UC can/will continue to spend on football at the current amounts without a P5 invite?

BeerCat,

I am admittedly stupid and ignorant (you could probably stop my thought right there) on the whole "P5/G5" revenue streams and networks issue. I know it gets talked a lot about around here, but I honestly don't follow it that much because it is boring to me.

What money is UC missing out on? And why can't we get it? Are the P5 conferences guaranteed an X amount of money that we can't get, and what would it take for UC to get their hands in that cookie jar? Are you saying that our football program can't pay for itself simply on ticket sales and advertising alone?

"If"we started winning 10-12 games a year again consistently for the next 5-10 years and stayed in thr top 25 would there be any possibility for us to get greater network deals than our other G5 brethren?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 02-25-2017 02:34 PM

(02-25-2017 12:30 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 11:20 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  I still believe its a fad. Its new, so theres a lot of curiosity about it. The teams winning so theres a buzz, and the Reds have been absolutely atrocious so theres no competition. What happens in a few years when the newness is gone, and they have a lousy season competing with a Reds pennant race?

The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model. If I'm wrong great, hopefully its a long term revenue stream for the Bearcats. At this point the stadiums already changed so might as well make money off it. Also I thought I read somewhere that if they ever leave FCC will pay to put the seating back to where it was. Is that correct?

This is correct.

Then Bohn will have egg all over his face because at the Fickell Meet and Greet on Thursday he was trying big time to spin it as a player safety issue, and not a bend over and spread the cheeks sellout for a big donor.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 02-25-2017 03:36 PM

(02-25-2017 02:34 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 12:30 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 11:20 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  I still believe its a fad. Its new, so theres a lot of curiosity about it. The teams winning so theres a buzz, and the Reds have been absolutely atrocious so theres no competition. What happens in a few years when the newness is gone, and they have a lousy season competing with a Reds pennant race?

The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model. If I'm wrong great, hopefully its a long term revenue stream for the Bearcats. At this point the stadiums already changed so might as well make money off it. Also I thought I read somewhere that if they ever leave FCC will pay to put the seating back to where it was. Is that correct?

This is correct.

Then Bohn will have egg all over his face because at the Fickell Meet and Greet on Thursday he was trying big time to spin it as a player safety issue, and not a bend over and spread the cheeks sellout for a big donor.

It was BS (Bohn Speak). Had he told the truth it would have been refreshing. He could have said "It's ugly but Lindner wanted it so we did it."

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Overrated - 02-25-2017 04:12 PM

(02-25-2017 11:20 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model.

That is the best way to get people interested in soccer that might have thought it was boring and never gave it a shot. Give them a team to root for, a great atmosphere, let them learn and begin to appreciate the game, and realize it can be really exciting even when there aren't goals being scored because of the anticipation scoring opportunities bring...

It can be hard to watch soccer if it's 2 teams you have no connection to and a bunch of players you have never heard of.

It would be impossible to argue against the idea that some of the appeal and momentum FCC has is tied to their bid to become an MLS team, but I don't see that as a reason to oppose this partnership. The opportunity cost is just so small for UC and the rewards are pretty significant. (A new video board and sound system are BADLY needed, locker room improvements, cash flow and bringing a bunch of people (many of whom don't have UC ties) to campus throughout the spring and summer).

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RLBearcat09 - 02-25-2017 04:26 PM

Did they move all the walls back? I thought they were only messing with the endzone

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatfan - 02-25-2017 04:52 PM

Yes. They have removed rows (3 or 4, I'm not sure how many) on both sides also.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bulldog23 - 02-25-2017 04:55 PM

(02-24-2017 09:38 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  IF FCC gets into the MLS, the contract states the numbers will be re-figured. Atlanta United is paying Georgia Tech $45,000 rent per game, a $275,000 fee for the locker rooms, $350,000 to alter the field, giving GT $2 from all ticket sales and splitting concessions.
atlanta united has their own stadium next year

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bulldog23 - 02-25-2017 04:58 PM

(02-24-2017 11:27 AM)crex043 Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 10:24 AM)gerhard911 Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 09:38 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  IF FCC gets into the MLS, the contract states the numbers will be re-figured. Atlanta United is paying Georgia Tech $45,000 rent per game, a $275,000 fee for the locker rooms, $350,000 to alter the field, giving GT $2 from all ticket sales and splitting concessions.

Interesting, how do these numbers compare to UC's deal with FCC?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

What would be the point in comparing those numbers? Georgia Tech is in the ACC and Atlanta United is in the MLS. They both essentially operate in the upper tier of their respective sports. UC is in a mid-major conference and FCC is in the USL. The stake is larger for GT and AU so their deal would be greater.

actually UC is step above GT.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - mptnstr@44 - 02-25-2017 05:03 PM

(02-25-2017 04:52 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Yes. They have removed rows (3 or 4, I'm not sure how many) on both sides also.

Those seats were mostly crap seats anyway.
Not a huge loss in anything other than headcount.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 02-25-2017 05:07 PM

(02-25-2017 04:12 PM)Overrated Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 11:20 AM)cincy7718 Wrote:  The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model.

That is the best way to get people interested in soccer that might have thought it was boring and never gave it a shot. Give them a team to root for, a great atmosphere, let them learn and begin to appreciate the game, and realize it can be really exciting even when there aren't goals being scored because of the anticipation scoring opportunities bring...

It can be hard to watch soccer if it's 2 teams you have no connection to and a bunch of players you have never heard of.

It would be impossible to argue against the idea that some of the appeal and momentum FCC has is tied to their bid to become an MLS team, but I don't see that as a reason to oppose this partnership. The opportunity cost is just so small for UC and the rewards are pretty significant. (A new video board and sound system are BADLY needed, locker room improvements, cash flow and bringing a bunch of people (many of whom don't have UC ties) to campus throughout the spring and summer).

To my knowledge, no one has acknowledged to what extent soccer is contributing to the badly-needed new scoreboard and sound system. A Business Courier article said UC needs to raise money for these things.

Bohn has been a steady stream of alternative facts, so I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

I'm still baffled about why UC is paying $2M for a soccer field that their own soccer team is not expected to use. I don't get why FCC gets repaid for Nippert's deconstruction.

Someone earlier mentioned the nice cash flows that should occur if MLS comes to Nippert. I think FCC would love to stay in Nippert forever, but everything I've read says MLS expects their new teams to have their own stadium. Application packages were expected to have a plan for soccer-specific stadiums, and reports are that FCC was scouting locations within urban Cincinnati.

Point is, any changes to Nippert are to enable minor league soccer and MLS potential, but not to ultimately have an MLS team.

It appears to me that soccer in Nippert is probably not a long-term situation...unless Lindner wants to continue to field a minor league team should MLS not happen.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 02-25-2017 06:36 PM

The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model. If I'm wrong great, hopefully its a long term revenue stream for the Bearcats. At this point the stadiums already changed so might as well make money off it. Also I thought I read somewhere that if they ever leave FCC will pay to put the seating back to where it was. Is that not correct?

I have season tickets for both football and soccer. They're both great to watch at nippert. I enjoy uc games more, but fcc season tickets were more than 50% cheaper than my football tickets for 18 home games. I would rather spend my money on campus than at a reds game. Before each game I usually buy dinner at the
student union or on Calhoun st.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 02-25-2017 07:02 PM

The people I know who have gone to games talk exclusively about the crowd and don't even know what's happening on the field until theres a goal. At which point they talk about the crowds reaction. I just don't see that as a sustainable model. If I'm wrong great, hopefully its a long term revenue stream for the Bearcats. At this point the stadiums already changed so might as well make money off it. Also I thought I read somewhere that if they ever leave FCC will pay to put the seating back to where it was. Is that not correct?

Is 15,000+ for minor league soccer a fad? I'd agree on that. I would say though that the passion for soccer is real and Cincinnati is a great market for soccer. We've always had one of the best youth participation rates, people in this city have grown up around the game. If MLS comes to Cincinnati it will continue to be a great soccer market. If not I'd expect FCC interest to dwindle to a good but not off the charts crazy level it is now.

And honestly American sports are killing themselves by selling their souls to TV. I'm not some impatient millennial but the endless TV timeouts kill the flow of our games. When I sit at Nippert it feels like a TV timeout lasts 5 minutes. When I turn on a soccer game they drop the ball and play. I can't watch baseball or football games I don't have a rooting interest in but have no issue turning on a European soccer game and watching without having any rooting interest.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 02-25-2017 07:03 PM

(02-25-2017 06:36 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

I have season tickets for both football and soccer. They're both great to watch at nippert. I enjoy uc games more, but fcc season tickets were more than 50% cheaper than my football tickets for 18 home games. I would rather spend my money on campus than at a reds game. Before each game I usually buy dinner at the
Do you have the Meat Loaf and Green Beans?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 02-26-2017 07:55 AM

(02-25-2017 07:03 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

Usually the spicy chicken at Chicfilet.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 02-26-2017 08:33 AM

(02-26-2017 07:55 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

Wow, that really boosts the local economy!

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 02-26-2017 08:36 AM

Crispy or grilled.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 02-26-2017 01:07 PM

(02-26-2017 08:36 AM)doss2 Wrote:  

Crispy or grilled.

I usually go with Chicfilet because most of the Bernie lovers and snowflakes are still boycotting chicfilet. The line is usally non-existant on game day.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 02-26-2017 01:19 PM

(02-26-2017 01:07 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 06:36 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  I have season tickets for both football and soccer. They're both great to watch at nippert. I enjoy uc games more, but fcc season tickets were more than 50% cheaper than my football tickets for 18 home games. I would rather spend my money on campus than at a reds game. Before each game I usually buy dinner at the

Crispy or grilled.

I usually go with Chicfilet because most of the Bernie lovers and snowflakes are still boycotting chicfilet. The line is usally non-existant on game day.

Two peas in a pod right here!

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 02-26-2017 01:43 PM

(02-26-2017 01:07 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 06:36 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  I have season tickets for both football and soccer. They're both great to watch at nippert. I enjoy uc games more, but fcc season tickets were more than 50% cheaper than my football tickets for 18 home games. I would rather spend my money on campus than at a reds game. Before each game I usually buy dinner at the

Crispy or grilled.

The line is probably nonexistent at the TUC Chick-Fila because the waffle fries there suck. Always undercooked.