CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatfan - 06-24-2017 05:11 PM

(06-24-2017 02:55 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  So... I do mean this as a serious question...

Has FC-Cincinnati surpassed UC FB in the "Sports hierarchy" of the Cincinnati Metro? Because that's the general feeling I'm getting from following this thread, but I don't live in the Cincinnati area so it's hard to tell just from this forum.

No. It's the off season for UC football, the Reds are pitiful right now, and there is nothing else to talk about.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 06-24-2017 05:23 PM

(06-24-2017 03:19 PM)dsquare Wrote:  The soccer group is for the most part an entirely different group of people. Not sure they support any of the other teams other than drive by. There is occasional crossover with parents and young kids, but that will be severely tested if the ticket scale prices jump to mls level. It's a cheap night right now.

I think that's probably accurate for those sitting in the Bailey but I think you're wrong about occasional crossover. I think there are a lot more people interested in soccer than most assume.

I think it's interesting to discuss where FCC will be in the cincinnati sports hierarchy if they move to MLS. They'll undoubtedly be above all college sports. And if the reds continue to suck they'll probably overtake them. Younger generations already don't care for baseball as much and people my age (31) have never seen a winner and I have already stopped watching all together so my kids never see baseball on TV. I watch football and will continue too but they have serious issues also going forward.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Section 200 - 06-24-2017 06:20 PM

(06-24-2017 02:55 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  So... I do mean this as a serious question...

Has FC-Cincinnati surpassed UC FB in the "Sports hierarchy" of the Cincinnati Metro? Because that's the general feeling I'm getting from following this thread, but I don't live in the Cincinnati area so it's hard to tell just from this forum.

FCC could pass UC football, and I think they would have if Tubbs was still the coach. UC football will stay ahead if either of these things happen: 1. P5 invite 2. win 10+ games a year. If we stay in the AAC and only win 7 or 8, FCC will pass us by.

I wonder if FCC's success is really that Nippert is a great place. Too bad MLS won't let them stay at Nippert. Pick a dud stadium site and it could fall apart.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 06-24-2017 07:33 PM

Another 20,125 tonight.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatmark - 06-24-2017 08:31 PM

(06-24-2017 07:33 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Another 20,125 tonight.

My years at Nippert have made me great at estimating attendance. Told my wife just over 20000 tonight, guessed just over 30000 at the crew game. Usually within 1000 when guessing at uc games.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - digibrink - 06-24-2017 09:07 PM

I think people really underestimate the impact that FCC playing at Nippert has. It's an amazing place to watch a game, and if their new stadium doesn't deliver that experience and they get off to a rocky start in MLS they could fall apart.

That said, it's been fun watching them succeed.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 06-24-2017 09:18 PM

I know personally part of the draw for me is Nippert but if they get an MLS bid I'll support them since it's a Cincinnati team that's not owned by the Brown family. It's pretty ridiculous that MLS would look at the atmosphere vs the Crew and not think Nippert is an MLS quality facility. Tonight was my first USL game and I was really impressed that the atmosphere wasn't nearly as much as a drop off as I expected.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-24-2017 10:38 PM

(06-24-2017 09:18 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  I know personally part of the draw for me is Nippert but if they get an MLS bid I'll support them since it's a Cincinnati team that's not owned by the Brown family. It's pretty ridiculous that MLS would look at the atmosphere vs the Crew and not think Nippert is an MLS quality facility. Tonight was my first USL game and I was really impressed that the atmosphere wasn't nearly as much as a drop off as I expected.

The issue for MLS is that FCC being at Nippert means they don't control 100% of the revenue. Through this expansion of the league, they want their franchises as stable as possible, and if they're giving up rent and other revenue sources, it's riskier for the team to survive. Exceptions are out there, like Atlanta, who will play in an NFL stadium but both the soccer team and football team are owned by Blank, same for Kraft and the Revolution/Patriots.

It's not that Nippert isn't good enough for MLS, it's that (despite all the tired jokes around here) Nippert isn't owned by FCC.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Billy_Bearcat - 06-24-2017 10:49 PM

(06-24-2017 08:31 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(06-24-2017 07:33 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Another 20,125 tonight.

My years at Nippert have made me great at estimating attendance. Told my wife just over 20000 tonight, guessed just over 30000 at the crew game. Usually within 1000 when guessing at uc games.

I'm still baffled that you convinced a poor girl to marry you.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 06-25-2017 10:19 AM

(06-24-2017 06:20 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  

FCC could pass UC football, and I think they would have if Tubbs was still the coach. UC football will stay ahead if either of these things happen: 1. P5 invite 2. win 10+ games a year. If we stay in the AAC and only win 7 or 8, FCC will pass us by.

I wonder if FCC's success is really that Nippert is a great place. Too bad MLS won't let them stay at Nippert. Pick a dud stadium site and it could fall apart.

I think the only option is Newport. There is a faction of the supporter groups who are against it, but it is a very small yet loud group. I think most fans not in the Bailey could care less and will support them no matter what. All of this is just talk if MLS doesn't pick FCC for expansion. Personnally, it doesn't matter to me whether we get the bid or not. I would still support them in the USL, and love the atmosphere.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 06-25-2017 01:10 PM

(06-25-2017 10:19 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  Personnally, it doesn't matter to me whether we get the bid or not. I would still support them in the USL, and love the atmosphere.
I agree with this. Either minor league soccer in Nippert or MLS in another location; it's pretty close for me. While I'd love to see Cincinnati get another major league professional sport the opportunity to visit campus/Nippert a few times in the offseason is pretty cool and the success of FCC at UC is great for the university. It's even better than free advertising; the university gets paid rent and FCC brings large numbers of new people to our campus.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - cpawfan - 06-25-2017 05:42 PM

As I have no emotions (either positive or negative) towards soccer, my hope is that whatever the top league in the US is, it doesn't expand to Cincinnati so that this team will continue to play on campus. Milk the extra visitors and income for as long as it lasts.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rath v2.0 - 06-25-2017 05:50 PM

FCNewport just has a certain je ne c'est quoi.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-25-2017 06:12 PM

(06-25-2017 05:50 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  FCNewport just has a certain je ne c'est quoi.

KFC. Kentucky Football Club. That's what the Crew fans came up with. Not bad, IMO, the future league rivalry is off to a great start.

Now, as far as Louisville is concerned, they hate the idea of Newport. The only top tier professional team in Kentucky will end up putting Cincinnati's name on it, and they can't stand the thought of that.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - mptnstr@44 - 06-25-2017 08:47 PM

(06-25-2017 06:12 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(06-25-2017 05:50 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  FCNewport just has a certain je ne c'est quoi.

KFC. Kentucky Football Club. That's what the Crew fans came up with. Not bad, IMO, the future league rivalry is off to a great start.

Now, as far as Louisville is concerned, they hate the idea of Newport. The only top tier professional team in Kentucky will end up putting Cincinnati's name on it, and they can't stand the thought of that.

KFC would be the correct moniker.
If they want to be FC CINCINNATI they need to be on the Ohio side of the river. If FC builds their stadium in KY they will lose me as a fan.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 06-25-2017 09:15 PM

What's the excitement? They are in 6th place with a 5-5-5 record.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - uchoops - 06-25-2017 09:16 PM

Wow...so eloquent...who would of thought..

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 06-25-2017 09:56 PM

(06-25-2017 09:15 PM)doss2 Wrote:  What's the excitement? They are in 6th place with a 5-5-5 record.

To be fair, .500 is the best any professional sport team has done in Cincinnati for about 20 months now.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-25-2017 10:12 PM

(06-25-2017 08:47 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(06-25-2017 06:12 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  

KFC would be the correct moniker.
If they want to be FC CINCINNATI they need to be on the Ohio side of the river. If FC builds their stadium in KY they will lose me as a fan.

I felt the same way, but I have slowly changed my mindset. Sure, id prefer an OTR or West End location but Cincy doesn't seem to be in any hurry to help (not saying Cincy should, personally, I think the ownership group can and should pay for it entirely), so if Newport and the citizens of Kentucky want to fork out whatever the hell they want for these guys then I'm all for it.

The more I've thought about it, the more I keep thinking, it's literally only a few hundred yards away. We will see it from our side and Cincy will be seen from the stadium over there.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Ring of Black - 06-26-2017 05:42 AM

Reminds me of a football game I was watching way back in the day. It was the NY Jets' last game in Shea Stadium, prior to going to the Meadowlands, and the smart-@ss scoreboard operator decides to post the name of the team:

NJ Jets

03-lmfao