CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 06-01-2017 06:27 AM

I agree. The lower division teams upset upper division teams in these open tournaments occasionally. I have no idea how strong a team Columbus will throw out there but I know from watching the English and German finals last weekend they take these open tournaments very seriously, not sure if MLS feels the same about it. Soccer's a funny game and if one misplayed ball ends up in the back of the net it puts a lot of pressure on the upper division team.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 06-01-2017 07:25 AM

(06-01-2017 06:27 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I agree. The lower division teams upset upper division teams in these open tournaments occasionally. I have no idea how strong a team Columbus will throw out there but I know from watching the English and German finals last weekend they take these open tournaments very seriously, not sure if MLS feels the same about it. Soccer's a funny game and if one misplayed ball ends up in the back of the net it puts a lot of pressure on the upper division team.

We historically don't take the Open Cup very seriously. You will likely see us throw out out B-Squad, which is generally good enough to beat lower level competition, but has failed before. This will be your super bowl, and i expect an upset...because that is how my sport fandom works. It will just make FCC fans even more obnoxious.

As to your question... The Open Cup is not taken anywhere near as seriously as cup games in Europe. There are a couple USL/NASL upsets over MLS teams every year mainly due to some MLS sides throwing out weak teams, but since the MLS started play in 96 only one non MLS team has actually won the competition and that was in 1999. There is not a lot of money or prestige in the Open Cup so they are generally not the most exciting games until you get to the semi finals where the remaining teams throw out strong squads.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat1010 - 06-01-2017 07:26 AM

Columbus will be in the middle of a 3 game road trip with FCC on Wednesday and then Atlanta on Saturday. I would expect them to rest at least 4-5 starters and play the backup keeper. The Open Cup approach in the past was always rest the veterans until after the quarterfinals.

They have improved this season but are shockingly inconsistent. The Crew like to counterattack and do tend to lose defensive focus. If FCC keep the game close through the first half it could go either way.

I'd love to come down for the game but Wednesday night will make it a tough call. I hope it's a good crowd.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-01-2017 07:30 AM

You know... I've been thinking about this matchup more, and I'm getting more and more pumped.

Last year I thought it was kind of cool that an EPL team came to Nippert. But I'm honestly more excited for an MLS team to waltz into Nippert. Not only because I think FCC at least has a chance, but because I have an actual connection to the team coming in. I don't give a sh!t if Real Madrid or that big Paris club, or Man U, or Bayern Munich, or some small English burrough with an EPL team visits us, those teams are nothing more than big names from other countries.

Columbus Crew is, I believe, an original MLS member and only two hours away. They're threatened by FCC, if only just slightly. You can see it in their sudden shift in marketing. They went from selling the team as Columbus' team, to calling themselves Ohios MLS team this last offseason. They ignored the rest of the state for twenty plus years, NOW they wanna claim the state? They didn't want to come here, they don't want to acknowledge FCC, but now they're forced to. Through level of talent alone even with their backups, the Crew should win, but like I said in another post is that this match simply happening at all is a win for FCC.

The big international friendly later in the year will be fun and all, but this upcoming match against the local MLS team has some weight and serious excitement behind it. Sure, it won't really mean much even if FCC wins. Just bragging rights, nothing else really changes. But even still, I can't freaking wait.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 06-01-2017 07:44 AM

Are they for sure having a European friendly?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-01-2017 07:48 AM

(06-01-2017 07:44 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  Are they for sure having a European friendly?

I thought so at least. I think I recall Berding mentioning a week or two ago that the deal was being finalized. Rumors were swirling it's a German team that has an open date on the date slotted for an international friendly and will already be over here on an American tour anyway.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 06-01-2017 07:53 AM

(06-01-2017 07:30 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Columbus Crew is, I believe, an original MLS member and only two hours away. They're threatened by FCC, if only just slightly. You can see it in their sudden shift in marketing. They went from selling the team as Columbus' team, to calling themselves Ohios MLS team this last offseason. They ignored the rest of the state for twenty plus years, NOW they wanna claim the state? They didn't want to come here, they don't want to acknowledge FCC, but now they're forced to. Through level of talent alone even with their backups, the Crew should win, but like I said in another post is that this match simply happening at all is a win for FCC.

We are the 1st MLS team, and I don't think anyone is "threatened" by FCC. We are only reminded of them when they like to come around and boast about attendance numbers...Though i'm sure we could pack a stadium in for $10 instead of a minimum of $40. I did not know I could hate an Ohio team like I hate FCC, and it's mostly because their fanbase has quickly become as annoying as Seattle while also removing my seat from Nippert Stadium.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 06-01-2017 08:03 AM

(06-01-2017 07:30 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Last year I thought it was kind of cool that an EPL team came to Nippert. But I'm honestly more excited for an MLS team to waltz into Nippert. Not only because I think FCC at least has a chance, but because I have an actual connection to the team coming in. I don't give a sh!t if Real Madrid or that big Paris club, or Man U, or Bayern Munich, or some small English burrough with an EPL team visits us, those teams are nothing more than big names from other countries.

Columbus Crew is, I believe, an original MLS member and only two hours away. They're threatened by FCC, if only just slightly. You can see it in their sudden shift in marketing. They went from selling the team as Columbus' team, to calling themselves Ohios MLS team this last offseason. They ignored the rest of the state for twenty plus years, NOW they wanna claim the state? They didn't want to come here, they don't want to acknowledge FCC, but now they're forced to. Through level of talent alone even with their backups, the Crew should win, but like I said in another post is that this match simply happening at all is a win for FCC.

The big international friendly later in the year will be fun and all, but this upcoming match against the local MLS team has some weight and serious excitement behind it. Sure, it won't really mean much even if FCC wins. Just bragging rights, nothing else really changes. But even still, I can't freaking wait.
As a casual fan I see playing the MLS team that's only 100 miles away in a tournament game as far more exciting than playing a middle of the pack European team in a friendly; and the Crystal Palace game is the only game I've been to. I definitely plan on going in a couple weeks but if it were any other MLS team it would be less exciting.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-01-2017 08:12 AM

(06-01-2017 07:53 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 07:30 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  Columbus Crew is, I believe, an original MLS member and only two hours away. They're threatened by FCC, if only just slightly. You can see it in their sudden shift in marketing. They went from selling the team as Columbus' team, to calling themselves Ohios MLS team this last offseason. They ignored the rest of the state for twenty plus years, NOW they wanna claim the state? They didn't want to come here, they don't want to acknowledge FCC, but now they're forced to. Through level of talent alone even with their backups, the Crew should win, but like I said in another post is that this match simply happening at all is a win for FCC.

We are the 1st MLS team, and I don't think anyone is "threatened" by FCC. We are only reminded of them when they like to come around and boast about attendance numbers...Though i'm sure we could pack a stadium in for $10 instead of a minimum of $40. I did not know I could hate an Ohio team like I hate FCC, and it's mostly because their fanbase has quickly become as annoying as Seattle while also removing my seat from Nippert Stadium.

I'm not actually trying to start a smack thread here. I mean, the Crew DID suddenly just switch to calling itself "Ohio's MLS team" this past year. There's a reason for that. It's been 20+ years, why start that now?

Regardless, I do like the Crew. They're an integral part of American soccer history. All the more reason I'm ridiculously excited for this game. It's gonna be a great time.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat1010 - 06-01-2017 08:29 AM

(06-01-2017 08:12 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  

I'm not actually trying to start a smack thread here. I mean, the Crew DID suddenly just switch to calling itself "Ohio's MLS team" this past year. There's a reason for that. It's been 20+ years, why start that now?

Regardless, I do like the Crew. They're an integral part of American soccer history. All the more reason I'm ridiculously excited for this game. It's gonna be a great time.

The marketing change was tied to the club ownership change. Things had gotten a little stale in the marketing. Better marketing and ramping up a new stadium design were the positive changes. One less successful change was the "For Columbus" uniform combo - completely threw away the classic look/colors. Of course the team played like a$$ every time they put on that combo - pretty sure the uniforms were collected and burned at the end of the season.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - crex043 - 06-01-2017 08:29 AM

(06-01-2017 07:53 AM)Banter Wrote:  We are the 1st MLS team, and I don't think anyone is "threatened" by FCC. We are only reminded of them when they like to come around and boast about attendance numbers...Though i'm sure we could pack a stadium in for $10 instead of a minimum of $40. I did not know I could hate an Ohio team like I hate FCC, and it's mostly because their fanbase has quickly become as annoying as Seattle while also removing my seat from Nippert Stadium.

What an excellent segue back to the original topic. We've come full circle... again.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Banter - 06-01-2017 08:36 AM

(06-01-2017 08:29 AM)crex043 Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 07:53 AM)Banter Wrote:  We are the 1st MLS team, and I don't think anyone is "threatened" by FCC. We are only reminded of them when they like to come around and boast about attendance numbers...Though i'm sure we could pack a stadium in for $10 instead of a minimum of $40. I did not know I could hate an Ohio team like I hate FCC, and it's mostly because their fanbase has quickly become as annoying as Seattle while also removing my seat from Nippert Stadium.

What an excellent segue back to the original topic. We've come full circle... again.

I do my best to reign this place back in and get back to the important topics like the fact my seat is gone.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat1010 - 06-01-2017 08:40 AM

(06-01-2017 08:36 AM)Banter Wrote:  

I do my best to reign this place back in and get back to the important topics like the fact my seat is gone.

it's not gone - it is in storage awaiting the departure of FCC when the renovations are rolled back right?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - DownOnRohs - 06-01-2017 08:41 AM

https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/individualmatch

Looks like $27 is the cheapest, fees included. Still way more than $10, but not $40. Then again, Columbus is a pro club and FCC is a lowly minor league franchise so the price gap is understandable. Also, care to venture a guess as to what Crew ticket prices were when the club was only 3 years old and playing at Ohio Stadium?

If you're someone who wants to see soccer take off in America you should love what FC Cincinnati has done.
But if you're someone who doesn't want/believe soccer will ever take off in America, then I can totally understand your hate for FCC fans.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 06-01-2017 08:47 AM

(06-01-2017 08:29 AM)Bearcat1010 Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 08:12 AM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  

The marketing change was tied to the club ownership change. Things had gotten a little stale in the marketing. Better marketing and ramping up a new stadium design were the positive changes. One less successful change was the "For Columbus" uniform combo - completely threw away the classic look/colors. Of course the team played like a$$ every time they put on that combo - pretty sure the uniforms were collected and burned at the end of the season.

Hmm. Fair enough I suppose. I do remember those awful uniforms. Glad they switched back, classics!

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - RealDeal - 06-01-2017 08:58 AM

I find the downplaying of attendance due to price thing silly. People will pay more for a better product. The interest in soccer in this city is real and large. Average attendance will go down because they won't have the large attendance games to bring up the average once they leave Nippert but Cincinnati will have no issues making the top half of MLS for average attendance.

Selfishly I'm hoping MLS takes a look at the atmosphere in two weeks and sees that soccer at Nippert is a great fit and doesn't require a new stadium but I know that's not realistic

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 06-01-2017 09:08 AM

(06-01-2017 08:58 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I find the downplaying of attendance due to price thing silly. People will pay more for a better product. The interest in soccer in this city is real and large. Average attendance will go down because they won't have the large attendance games to bring up the average once they leave Nippert but Cincinnati will have no issues making the top half of MLS for average attendance.

Selfishly I'm hoping MLS takes a look at the atmosphere in two weeks and sees that soccer at Nippert is a great fit and doesn't require a new stadium but I know that's not realistic

You really need to factor in how notoriously cheap Cincinnatians are.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 06-01-2017 09:25 AM

(06-01-2017 08:36 AM)Banter Wrote:  

No one wanted those seats anyway.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - SuperFlyBCat - 06-01-2017 09:29 AM

1 Atlanta United FC 47,405 237,024 5 44,901
2 Seattle Sounders 43,072 258,430 6 47,362
3 Toronto FC 26,429 185,001 7 25,376
4 Orlando City SC 25,527 178,689 7
5 LA Galaxy 22,572 112,858 5
6 NYC FC 22,183 110,915 5
7 Vancouver Whitecaps 21,940 153,580 7 20,905
8 Montreal Impact 21,552 107,760 5
9 Portland Timbers 21,144 126,864 6
10 Minnesota United 20,511 143,579 7 18,896
11 New York Red Bulls 19,646 157,167 8 19,252
12 Sporting KC 19,232 115,390 6
13 Real Salt Lake 18,397 128,781 7 18,305
14 San Jose Earthquakes 18,000 126,000 7 18,000
15 Houston Dynamo 17,653 123,568 7
16 DC United 16,557 115,901 7
17 Philadelphia Union 16,260 113,822 7
18 NE Revolution 15,520 93,121 6
19 FC Dallas 15,363 107,543 7 15,055
20 Colorado Rapids 15,198 91,186 6 17,648
21 Chicago Fire 15,065 105,456 7 12,584
22 Columbus Crew 13,090 91,629 7
TOTALS 21,016 2,984,264 142 258,284
http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017-mls-attendance/

Oh my! I hope some Crew fans show up for the game at Nippert, maybe some fights will break out!

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatmark - 06-01-2017 10:12 AM

I lost my seat too. Sadly I had to move about 15 spots towards the student section but still in section 115... still in the third row... Can't complain too badly.

BTW sideline seats for FCC games are $20 or $30 dollars per game. They seem to sell a bunch of those as well. Family section and Bailey are lower, but that's great having different price points. FCC's price points are nice, but not all the seats are that cheap. I'm not sure what Club Seats go for but FCC sold them out via Season ticket sales for the season. Plenty of people are spending decent money to go to these games.