CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatkarl - 05-25-2017 02:29 PM

Maybe I am in the minority but as a frequent FC Cincy patron I think moving the games out of Clifton will be a major negative. Having so many places to go pre and post game is a major benefit. I realize MLS requires you to own your own stadium...I would probably not go if it is not in Clifton. I guess we will see.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Demoengr - 05-25-2017 02:31 PM

My crystal ball says Oakley

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - gerhard911 - 05-25-2017 02:31 PM

(05-25-2017 02:24 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  My ranking of most likely to least:

1. Newport
2. Oakley
3. West End

I think West End will scare off the West Chester minivan crowd. Tough sell.

Oakley probably has the most broad appeal. Acceptable to hipsters and suburbanites alike. Close to the highway.

Newport. Highest profile location, right across from downtown and other sports venues. Newport will probably lower their pants and raise their behinds for Carl Jr.

Carl III, Jr. was his father.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 05-25-2017 02:31 PM

(05-25-2017 02:26 PM)bctn8n Wrote:  The Stadium location would border the Licking River if they were to build it in Kentucky. Right now it is just an empty lot.

But that is the least likely option.

Neither 75 or 471 are really all that easy from the Newport location. I'm fascinated to see how this all plays out.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 05-25-2017 02:34 PM

(05-25-2017 02:31 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:24 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  My ranking of most likely to least:

1. Newport
2. Oakley
3. West End

I think West End will scare off the West Chester minivan crowd. Tough sell.

Oakley probably has the most broad appeal. Acceptable to hipsters and suburbanites alike. Close to the highway.

Newport. Highest profile location, right across from downtown and other sports venues. Newport will probably lower their pants and raise their behinds for Carl Jr.

Carl III, Jr. was his father.

I stand corrected. Can't believe I got them mixed up.

Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bctn8n - 05-25-2017 02:35 PM

Just telling everyone what I was told from the horse not named Lindner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat2012 - 05-25-2017 02:38 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/25/its-official-fc-cincinnati-moves-forward-on.html?ana=twt

It's official: FC Cincinnati moves forward on stadium plan
May 25, 2017, 2:40pm EDT

FC Cincinnati’s owners have definite plans to build a soccer-specific stadium in Greater Cincinnati and plan to have a location picked and financing in place this summer, in time for Major League Soccer’s decision to award two expansion franchises.

“Through our communications with MLS, we believe a soccer-specific stadium is necessary to win an MLS bid,” said Jeff Berding, FC Cincinnati’s president and general manager.

The highly successful second-year soccer club’s owners, including Carl Lindner III and Scott Farmer, have committed to invest $250 million toward winning a Major League Soccer franchise and building the stadium, Berding, who is also part of the club’s ownership group, said Wednesday after the team practiced at Nippert Stadium.

“That’s a historic investment from private owners to support a prospective professional sports franchise in this market,” Berding said.

FC Cincinnati is not looking to raise taxes or put a new stadium tax in place to finance the stadium, Berding said. The club is looking to create a public-private partnership to finance the stadium as Lindner told me on Tuesday.

FC Cincinnati is one of a dozen cities vying for four MLS expansion franchises. MLS has said it will award two of those franchises by year end at a cost of $150 million each.

FC Cincinnati’s owners’ financial commitment includes $150 million for the expansion fee and another $100 million toward building a new stadium. Berding said he doesn’t know how much of a gap that leaves to be financed publicly. He said FC Cincinnati’s share will be more than half of the total financing needed.

“Nothing like this has been done in this market,” Berding said. “This is private owners putting up their own money.”

By comparison, the Cincinnati Bengals put up $25 million to build Paul Brown Stadium while $425 million in public money was used.

Berding said the form of public money hasn’t been determined yet but club officials have had a lot of conversations with public officials. He sees an opportunity in using existing economic development tools. Public financing could be used for infrastructure or parking-related costs, he said.

The club wants to finalize financing and site selection by summer, Berding said. That would give it time to show MLS it has plans in place for a new soccer-specific stadium before MLS officials make their expansion decision.

FC Cincinnati has narrowed its search to three neighborhoods in the region, Berding said: Over-the-Rhine/West End, Oakley and Newport. He has previously told me the club is looking at a site at Taft High School in the West End and he mentioned the Ovation site on the Newport riverfront where the Ohio and Licking rivers meet. FC Cincinnati is also considering sites such as the Milacron site near Oakley Station. But he said the club is considering multiple sites in those neighborhoods.

“Those are the (neighborhoods) we feel are most viable,” Berding said.

He didn’t identify specific sites because FC Cincinnati doesn’t control those sites yet.

We love Nippert, we’ve spent millions of dollars to improve it and we’ll seek to play here as long as we can,” Berding said. “However, we have an MLS expansion bid with 12 cities. Of those 12 cities, we’re the smallest market. The feeling is we will not win a bid to get one of those expansion franchises without our own stadium. Would we win a bid to bring MLS to Cincinnati? No, we would not.”

Berding said the stadium wouldn’t just be used by FC Cincinnati or even only for soccer. He envisions the possibility of hosting Xavier University or University of Cincinnati matches, the high school state tournament or U.S. National Team games. The club has already talked to promoters about hosting concerts there, too.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 05-25-2017 02:50 PM

(05-25-2017 02:24 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:22 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:07 PM)bctn8n Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:04 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 12:26 PM)bctn8n Wrote:  Majority Chance it lands in OTR. Minor Chance in Newport. Almost Zero chance it happens in Oakley. My guess it is 75, 20, and 5.

I have seen the renderings. Very nice stadium and will be much better than the one in Columbus and reminds me of World Cup Stadiums.

I dunno...the West End?

The only thing I was told was "West of Central" but with in walking distance of the OTR entertainment districts. The Idea for Newport would be for the people to pre game in Cincy and walk over but the fear would be the team would no longer be Cincinnati but Kentucky.

Oakley has too much redtape.

The Taft site is ABSOLUTELY ideal. Would be a fantastic location. I actually think that's the least likely however. Gonna be tough to convince them to want to move, that stadium and track is relatively new.

I've heard that Oakley area is horrible for traffic with Madtree and crossroads. 20k+ wouldn't exactly help.

I think the Kentucky location is most likely, yet least desirable.

Why would you say that, outside of the fact that it's in Kentucky. I would argue that it's the closest to the most additional entertainment areas, as well as the CBD. The Taft site is right next to an absolutely awful neighborhood and not exactly close to the strongest part of OTR (Vine) and extremely far from the Banks.

I think it's proximity to OTR fits the main demographic best, those folks don't mind a march. Could help to revitalize the area further, attract businesses and whatnot. I'm no urban developer, so I may be a bit naive on that front.

I dont think Kentucky is a horrible option, just in my opinion my least favorite. I did paint it as though that was the consensus opinion. I just think having it actually on this side of the river is better. Though, I'm not fond of Oakley either. I'd still go and enjoy it in Newport, just personally would prefer over here.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatfan - 05-25-2017 02:50 PM

Evidently if they want MLS Nippert is definitely no longer an option?

Edit - I just read it - and answered my own question

“Through our communications with MLS, we believe a soccer-specific stadium is necessary to win an MLS bid,” said Jeff Berding, FC Cincinnati’s president and general manager.

Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bctn8n - 05-25-2017 02:56 PM

The article mentions said horse I was referencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 05-25-2017 02:57 PM

(05-25-2017 02:50 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:24 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:22 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:07 PM)bctn8n Wrote:  
(05-25-2017 02:04 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  I dunno...the West End?

The only thing I was told was "West of Central" but with in walking distance of the OTR entertainment districts. The Idea for Newport would be for the people to pre game in Cincy and walk over but the fear would be the team would no longer be Cincinnati but Kentucky.

Oakley has too much redtape.

The Taft site is ABSOLUTELY ideal. Would be a fantastic location. I actually think that's the least likely however. Gonna be tough to convince them to want to move, that stadium and track is relatively new.

I've heard that Oakley area is horrible for traffic with Madtree and crossroads. 20k+ wouldn't exactly help.

I think the Kentucky location is most likely, yet least desirable.

Why would you say that, outside of the fact that it's in Kentucky. I would argue that it's the closest to the most additional entertainment areas, as well as the CBD. The Taft site is right next to an absolutely awful neighborhood and not exactly close to the strongest part of OTR (Vine) and extremely far from the Banks.

I think it's proximity to OTR fits the main demographic best, those folks don't mind a march. Could help to revitalize the area further, attract businesses and whatnot. I'm no urban developer, so I may be a bit naive on that front.

I don't think Kentucky is a horrible option, just in my opinion my least favorite. I did paint it as though that was the consensus opinion. I just think having it actually on this side of the river is better. Though, I'm not fond of Oakley either. I'd still go and enjoy it in Newport, just personally would prefer over here.

That's understandable...I could see the Kentucky/Cincinnati team perception being an issue for some. I just think logistically that makes the most sense...that West end neighborhood is Section 8/HUD housing, so revitalization isn't really in the cards, and traffic patterns would have to be significantly re-worked there too, since most of the roads around Taft are either 4-lane avenues or 2-lane standard roadways.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - cpawstoney - 05-25-2017 03:18 PM

It's official: FC Cincinnati moves forward on stadium plan

Quote:The highly successful second-year soccer club’s owners, including Carl Lindner III and Scott Farmer, have committed to invest $250 million toward winning a Major League Soccer franchise and building the stadium, Berding, who is also part of the club’s ownership group, said Wednesday after the team practiced at Nippert Stadium.

FC Cincinnati has narrowed its search to three neighborhoods in the region, Berding said: Over-the-Rhine/West End, Oakley and Newport. He has previously told me the club is looking at a site at Taft High School in the West End and he mentioned the Ovation site on the Newport riverfront where the Ohio and Licking rivers meet. FC Cincinnati is also considering sites such as the Milacron site near Oakley Station. But he said the club is considering multiple sites in those neighborhoods.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 05-25-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:The highly successful second-year soccer club’s owners, including Carl Lindner III and Scott Farmer, have committed to invest $250 million toward winning a Major League Soccer franchise and building the stadium, Berding, who is also part of the club’s ownership group, said Wednesday after the team practiced at Nippert Stadium.

You could legitimately have sightlines like this in Newport.

[Image: Pedro_goes_to_Pittsburgh.jpg]

Add in a mall and bar district close by and downtown a walk across the bridge away, plus the fact that there is more than enough space to do that without ED'ing people out of homes and destroying communites. I don't see any bad there logistically...now financial, none of us know, unless Doss is Lindner's self-hating alter-ego or something.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bruce Monnin - 05-25-2017 03:47 PM

Wherever they decide, I certainly would not invest any money in the stadium. FC Cincinnati will tail off rapidly if it moves out of Nippert.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatMan - 05-25-2017 03:51 PM

(05-25-2017 03:47 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Wherever they decide, I certainly would not invest any money in the stadium. FC Cincinnati will tail off rapidly if it moves out of Nippert.

Absolutely...they have anywhere between 4,000-10,000 fans coming to games who live a stones-throw away. That's a huge impact on attendance.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 05-25-2017 04:04 PM

Good for them. I'm a huge soccer fan, and I'd love to see a stadium built in OTR - it's not baseball with 81 home games a year, but it will go quite a long way in attracting more investment in OTR, while rectifying the mistake of not building the Reds' park at Broadway Commons. And, although I'm a soccer fan, we shouldn't invest a penny of taxpayer money in this. The Lindners have the money, and FC Cincinnati is a business - they need to figure out how to pay for it.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - 50Cent - 05-25-2017 04:05 PM

(05-25-2017 03:47 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Wherever they decide, I certainly would not invest any money in the stadium. FC Cincinnati will tail off rapidly if it moves out of Nippert.

Guess we shall see. Obviously you can't stand fc Cincinnati or soccer.

Moving stadiums will mean MLS and likely capacity of 25k.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - gerhard911 - 05-25-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:....
We love Nippert, UC spent millions of dollars to improve it and we’ll seek to play here as long as we can sponge off of them,”

Edited for truthfulness.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 05-25-2017 04:08 PM

(05-25-2017 04:05 PM)50Cent Wrote:  

Guess we shall see. Obviously you can't stand fc Cincinnati or soccer.

Moving stadiums will mean MLS and likely capacity of 25k.

The last generation of soccer-specific stadiums were in the 18k-20k range, and its seems the new stadiums are trending toward 25K. That's likely on the larger size for FC at this point (MLS will attract more fans, but the price will exclude quite a few), but it'll give a bit of room to grow.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 05-25-2017 04:31 PM

I'm guessing the this new soccer stadium will double as a concert venue, so that is a consideration when selecting a location. I'd think a more commercial area would be appropriate.

I think Oakley - surrounded by commercial space on the 71 HydePark-Montgomery corridor is prime. I do think, however, that a lot of it depends on gunning flexibility and funding, which is where Newport will be more forthcoming.