CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 04-25-2017 07:24 AM

(04-25-2017 06:44 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 05:58 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Take a page out of recruiting-- whether a normal student or a student athlete--the most important step in that process is getting them on campus. Idk how significant the data might be, but we are now getting thousands of people on campus that would have otherwise never visited. Before considering anything else--i.e. how many of those people might stick around--it is, truly, intuitive to see the benefits that FCC entails for our University.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

this is what I think is the biggest plus for UC as a whole in this whole FCC thing....especially for people who haven't been to campus in years and have a mental picture of what UC used to be. I have to think people have been coming and saying, "Wow, this isn't how I remembered UC, or Wow, this isn't like what I've heard about UC at all".

They have.

I do disagree, however, that it's the biggest plus for UC. Its a close second to the money UC is making in the offseason nowadays, though.

Edit: well, they could be 1A and 1B.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 04-25-2017 08:05 AM

(04-24-2017 05:58 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Take a page out of recruiting-- whether a normal student or a student athlete--the most important step in that process is getting them on campus. Idk how significant the data might be, but we are now getting thousands of people on campus that would have otherwise never visited. Before considering anything else--i.e. how many of those people might stick around--it is, truly, intuitive to see the benefits that FCC entails for our University.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Twice I have been on campus for FCC games and there were UC baseball games in progress. So many people commented on the baseball stadium being so much nicer than they imagined. To a lesser effect, there was a invitational track meet finishing as fans began to arrive for FCC. That is also the university marketing itself in a positive manner.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - crex043 - 04-25-2017 08:51 AM

(04-24-2017 10:30 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 07:58 PM)#41 Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 10:02 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 09:48 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 10:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Not only that, is UC leveraging these FCC crowds on campus to:
-promote/sell UC football tickets (promo pricing for a game, etc.)
-promote student enrollment, campus tours, etc.
-promote UC men's and women's soccer
promote UC licensed merchandise sales (I noticed the Bookstore now stocks FCC gear so if they're getting soccer fans in the door how about some cross promotion?).

As others have noted, the benefit of FCC is getting people Uptown and on our beautiful campus--many for the first time. UC needs to leverage that exposure to maximize the ROI of allowing FCC to call Clifton Campus home.

I'm going to call a marginal "BS" on some of this...

I don't doubt that getting people on campus helps raise UC's overall profile, but...
I don't think people coming to see FC-Cincinnati by-and-large are:
1) going to buy UC gear. They MAY buy FC-Cincinnati gear at the bookstore, but they are coming for FCC, not UC sports. So...
2) going to buy UC FB tickets. If they are (American) Football fans, they are already fans of other programs or levels of football. But they are coming to see soccer, not football. So I would be surprised if any number of FC-Cincinnati fans actually turn up at Nippert for a Bearcat FB game. (My anecdotal proof of this is that one of my Morgantown families has a kid working in Cincinnati now...He goes to FC-Cincinnati games regularly, sits in "The Bailey," and says he "loves it." But when asked about UC football, he says "It's trash," and "I don't watch lower-level schools." So...good luck at changing perceptions just by bringing people into the stadium.)
3) going to buy UC soccer tickets. As mentioned above, they are there to watch "FC-Cincinnati," not the Bearcats.

As a clergyman, I see this all the time with Churches who rent out their space/buildings to all sorts of outside groups with the hope that someone who attends some other function will start to come on Sundays. It is extremely rare that actually happens. People who come for some other function are coming for that expressed purpose, and when they are done with that purpose they leave and move onto the next thing. Granted, you are getting people into campus who see the campus and that's a good thing. But I think the other pieces are of dubious value.

You nailed it to perfection.

These so called side benefits are anecdotal at best. The only benefit UC should expect is does FCC pay a fair price for the use after considering the "Special Features Demanded" and appeasing Prince Lindner.

We are not the Clifton/Corryville Chamber of Commerce charged with helping the area bars and eateries.

This is dumb.

It's 100% in UC's benefit to have businesses around campus thriving. What do you think prospective students look at as soon as they finish the on campus tour?
Using that logic UC should start running free commercials on the scoreboard and ribbon boards for all the bars and eateries around campus because it is 100% in UC's benefit.

No need - simply having additional events outside of university sports that brings people to campus that wouldn't otherwise be there causes these bars and eateries to fill up that many more times per year.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - AZBCAT - 04-25-2017 09:00 AM

It is interesting that some on here would argue that we need to make money (not just break even) in order to justify having FC Cincy play in our stadium, but they don't argue the same thing for the UC athletics programs - which are big money losers, right? I think the same logic we all apply to the UC programs (it is one of the best marketing tools the University has) would also apply to FCC. More eyeballs on UC in any way is better for the University - even if we are just breaking even. Free marketing!

Even if we end up losing a little money on the deal, more eyeballs on UC is good for the University and more people spending money in Clifton continues to build the areas/businesses around campus and continues the Clifton rejuvenation process. Money well spent in my mind.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Racinejake - 04-25-2017 09:52 AM

(04-25-2017 09:00 AM)AZBCAT Wrote:  It is interesting that some on here would argue that we need to make money (not just break even) in order to justify having FC Cincy play in our stadium, but they don't argue the same thing for the UC athletics programs - which are big money losers, right? I think the same logic we all apply to the UC programs (it is one of the best marketing tools the University has) would also apply to FCC. More eyeballs on UC in any way is better for the University - even if we are just breaking even. Free marketing!

Even if we end up losing a little money on the deal, more eyeballs on UC is good for the University and more people spending money in Clifton continues to build the areas/businesses around campus and continues the Clifton rejuvenation process. Money well spent in my mind.

My take on this would be we have a very significant asset in Nippert stadium. Our athletic department needs cash in the worst way. It's incumbent upon the university to maximize its revenues. I don't know a lick about soccer, but the university should be getting a market rate for the use of the stadium. Maybe they are, I don't know enough to comment. I'm not sure if other USL teams currently (or previously did) rent a stadium and what that rent is. Ditto with MLS. If we gave FCC a discount in the early years in order for them to gain footing with the hope they would get to MLS (and allow us to realize in that upside), then that would also be a good move as well.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - OKIcat - 04-25-2017 10:04 AM

(04-25-2017 09:00 AM)AZBCAT Wrote:  It is interesting that some on here would argue that we need to make money (not just break even) in order to justify having FC Cincy play in our stadium, but they don't argue the same thing for the UC athletics programs - which are big money losers, right? I think the same logic we all apply to the UC programs (it is one of the best marketing tools the University has) would also apply to FCC. More eyeballs on UC in any way is better for the University - even if we are just breaking even. Free marketing!

Bolded--a great point. Uptown is very much still a work in progress. When the MLK interchange is fully opened I expect another wave of renewal from I-71 to campus. Per the Enquirer, Childrens' has plans for about $500 million in new construction. Cranes will pop up on Campus Green for the new B-school building just as the new dorm @ Jefferson and East University comes online. The best days are ahead for Uptown.

FCC is doing for UC (and Uptown) what Lumenocity did for OTR; only in larger numbers. For many locals, it took an evening on a lawn chair in Washington Park to realize that a section a town they long believed unsafe and undesirable, was now an inviting, architecturally unique neighborhood where tri-state folks could return to drink, dine or shop.

I'm not a soccer fan; haven't been to see FCC. But to me there is no denying that thousands of new impressions they've created for UC is adding value.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 04-25-2017 12:28 PM

(04-25-2017 10:04 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Bolded--a great point. Uptown is very much still a work in progress. When the MLK interchange is fully opened I expect another wave of renewal from I-71 to campus. Per the Enquirer, Childrens' has plans for about $500 million in new construction. Cranes will pop up on Campus Green for the new B-school building just as the new dorm @ Jefferson and East University comes online. The best days are ahead for Uptown.

FCC is doing for UC (and Uptown) what Lumenocity did for OTR; only in larger numbers. For many locals, it took an evening on a lawn chair in Washington Park to realize that a section a town they long believed unsafe and undesirable, was now an inviting, architecturally unique neighborhood where tri-state folks could return to drink, dine or shop.

I'm not a soccer fan; haven't been to see FCC. But to me there is no denying that thousands of new impressions they've created for UC is adding value.

Great post yes OTR is so safe!

CINCINNATI -- A surge in gun violence continued Sunday afternoon in Over-the-Rhine, when a man was shot near Liberty and Walnut streets.

Trevor Tiemann, 26, was shot at about 12:11 p.m. Sunday and taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center in critical condition. He later died from his injuries.

When a Shell employee heard shots ring out Sunday afternoon, she dropped to the floor behind the counter.

“It’s real bad down here, it’s got me so nervous ... I have a daughter,” she said. “It is pitiful. Enough is enough ... I’ve got to protect myself. I’ve got a baby to live for."

It was at least the eighth shooting in the city since late last week including a non-fatal shooting at about 5:30 a.m. Sunday on East McMicken Street in Over-the-Rhine.

Lt. Steve Saunders, a Cincinnati Police Department spokesman, said officers had a vague description of the shooter.

Cincinnati police investigate a shooting near Walnut and Liberty streets in Over-the-Rhine on Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017. Photo by Lot Tan | WCPO

Then Friday, a woman was injured by broken glass as she was sitting in a vehicle that was shot multiple times on Vine Street near Liberty in Over-the-Rhine, police said.

Early Saturday, someone was shot in the foot after a bar fight Downtown. And Sunday morning, gunfire injured another person near East McMicken Avenue in Over-the-Rhine.

"I don't know how to feel," said Anita Campbell, the mother of a shooting victim. "I don't know what I'm feeling. I just know my heart aches -- a lot."

Campbell's 28-year-old son, Donald Campbell, was shot dead in a car Tuesday.

So far, police have not connected any of the incidents.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - crex043 - 04-25-2017 12:43 PM

(04-25-2017 09:00 AM)AZBCAT Wrote:  It is interesting that some on here would argue that we need to make money (not just break even) in order to justify having FC Cincy play in our stadium, but they don't argue the same thing for the UC athletics programs - which are big money losers, right?

Good point. Do football and basketball even generate money for the university by themselves? Maybe we should tell Luke Fickell and Mick Cronin to go play elsewhere and leave Nippert open for convocation ceremonies.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Racinejake - 04-25-2017 01:00 PM

(04-25-2017 12:43 PM)crex043 Wrote:  
(04-25-2017 09:00 AM)AZBCAT Wrote:  It is interesting that some on here would argue that we need to make money (not just break even) in order to justify having FC Cincy play in our stadium, but they don't argue the same thing for the UC athletics programs - which are big money losers, right?

Good point. Do football and basketball even generate money for the university by themselves? Maybe we should tell Luke Fickell and Mick Cronin to go play elsewhere and leave Nippert open for convocation ceremonies.

Surely you wouldn't compare the role/cost of the university's own programs to those of a third party using the university's facilities?

And I do recall the football and basketball programs were money makers. Now, through funny accounting of debt service (and other things like scholarship costs) maybe those would get thrown into the red. But all of the non-revenue sports obviously need other support to make them tick.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat2012 - 04-25-2017 01:13 PM

[Image: C-RaV9XXgAENMRC.jpg]

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bruce Monnin - 04-25-2017 02:20 PM

I am going to try to sneak into Doss' private box during graduation.

It is easy to do before football games. Just wear a UC shirt, hang around under the pressbox, and open doors, help out the people bringing in the supplies. Pretty soon you just follow them all the way in as they assume you work for the university (I've had ESPN people ask me for help with their setup already).

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Ahhhorsepoo - 04-25-2017 03:07 PM

lol @ assertion UC is losing money in this FCC venture.. FCC brings more people to the campus than either Football or Basketball, and while ticket revenue isn't all given to the university as UC sports are(the ones that do collect ticket revenue) the secondary revenues(parking, split concessions, stadium rental) as mentioned previously far surpass anything that any entity besides football and maybe basketball will produce on a yearly basis.. FCC makes money, UC does, and the community around the campus does too.. this is win win win all around.. please move on from thinking FCC is robbing UC blind.. It's very unbecoming on all of you.. What is wrong with having a third sport that makes us money even if it is just as a partner as opposed to a university run sport..

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - gerhard911 - 04-25-2017 04:48 PM

Thanks for the lecture, fullofhorsepoo. Now GFY.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 04-25-2017 04:56 PM

(04-25-2017 04:48 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  Thanks for the lecture, fullofhorsepoo. Now GFY.

03-banghead

07-coffee3

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 04-25-2017 05:21 PM

(04-21-2017 10:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 09:46 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 09:37 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  FC Cincinnati just outdrew the Reds on Wednesday night. We are lucky to be part of something special. Here's hoping Nippert remains their home when (if) they get called up to MLS.

Yes, hopefully we'll be able to make a pile of dough out of it

Not only that, is UC leveraging these FCC crowds on campus to:
promote UC licensed merchandise sales (I noticed the Bookstore now stocks FCC gear so if they're getting soccer fans in the door how about some cross promotion?).

As others have noted, the benefit of FCC is getting people Uptown and on our beautiful campus--many for the first time. UC needs to leverage that exposure to maximize the ROI of allowing FCC to call Clifton Campus home.

I don't doubt that getting people on campus helps raise UC's overall profile, but...
1) going to buy UC gear. They MAY buy FC-Cincinnati gear at the bookstore, but they are coming for FCC, not UC sports. So...
2) going to buy UC FB tickets. If they are (American) Football fans, they are already fans of other programs or levels of football. But they are coming to see soccer, not football. So I would be surprised if any number of FC-Cincinnati fans actually turn up at Nippert for a Bearcat FB game. (My anecdotal proof of this is that one of my Morgantown families has a kid working in Cincinnati now...He goes to FC-Cincinnati games regularly, sits in "The Bailey," and says he "loves it." But when asked about UC football, he says "It's trash," and "I don't watch lower-level schools." So...good luck at changing perceptions just by bringing people into the stadium.)
3) going to buy UC soccer tickets. As mentioned above, they are there to watch "FC-Cincinnati," not the Bearcats.

As a clergyman, I see this all the time with Churches who rent out their space/buildings to all sorts of outside groups with the hope that someone who attends some other function will start to come on Sundays. It is extremely rare that actually happens. People who come for some other function are coming for that expressed purpose, and when they are done with that purpose they leave and move onto the next thing. Granted, you are getting people into campus who see the campus and that's a good thing. But I think the other pieces are of dubious value.

These so called side benefits are anecdotal at best. The only benefit UC should expect is does FCC pay a fair price for the use after considering the "Special Features Demanded" and appeasing Prince Lindner.

We are not the Clifton/Corryville Chamber of Commerce charged with helping the area bars and eateries.

Over the past twenty years or so, UC has taken a very active role in the development around campus. UC presidents have taken positions on the Uptown Consortium, and UC monies have been used to help finance near-campus developments. Clifton's unsafe reputation has been an impediment to recruitment at UC, and the school has found that a vibrant surrounding community is actually quite important.

With that said, using soccer to help surrounding business is a secondary concern at best and isn't the reason why we have converted our football stadium into a soccer venue for a minor league team.

I want to see surrounding businesses thrive, but stop getting boners over crowded bars before soccer games. It's nothing more than a nice side benefit of drawing record crowds.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 04-25-2017 06:56 PM

(04-25-2017 05:21 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 10:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 09:46 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  Yes, hopefully we'll be able to make a pile of dough out of it

Over the past twenty years or so, UC has taken a very active role in the development around campus. UC presidents have taken positions on the Uptown Consortium, and UC monies have been used to help finance near-campus developments. Clifton's unsafe reputation has been an impediment to recruitment at UC, and the school has found that a vibrant surrounding community is actually quite important.

With that said, using soccer to help surrounding business is a secondary concern at best and isn't the reason why we have converted our football stadium into a soccer venue for a minor league team.

I want to see surrounding businesses thrive, but stop getting boners over crowded bars before soccer games. It's nothing more than a nice side benefit of drawing record crowds.

Isn't that exactly what people are arguing?

So we can't use this "benefit" (your word) as a positive. Changing peoples opinions about UC by getting new Cincinnatians on campus isnt worth it. The money UC directly makes from the deal isn't enough apparently, for whatever reason. Judging from the fantastic environment at the spring game and the record crowds at FCC games, HNS still sounds and feels like HNS, but apparently that'll change in the fall. How HNS LOOKS is simply a matter of opinion.

03-banghead

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - rtaylor - 04-25-2017 07:08 PM

(04-25-2017 06:56 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(04-21-2017 10:33 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Not only that, is UC leveraging these FCC crowds on campus to:

So we can't use this "benefit" (your word) as a positive. Changing peoples opinions about UC by getting new Cincinnatians on campus isnt worth it. The money UC directly makes from the deal isn't enough apparently, for whatever reason. Judging from the fantastic environment at the spring game and the record crowds at FCC games, HNS still sounds and feels like HNS, but apparently that'll change in the fall. How HNS LOOKS is simply a matter of opinion.

03-banghead

Exactly. Nothing more than a side benefit? 03-lmfao All of these side benefits that have been brought up seem to be adding up quite nicely for UC. Why some continue to die on this hill is mind boggling.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Not Duane - 04-25-2017 07:08 PM

Ok...let's see if I understand the argument here...

Those against FCC soccer argue that it were better that the facility sit empty in the off-season generating no revenue whatsoever for the UC AD and requiring that the University alone maintain upgrades and upkeep...offloading those expenses on the faculty, staff, and students.

Those for FCC soccer argue that the financial benefit of renting the facility to the AD might have peripheral benefits, such as added AD revenue, support for the businesses around campus, and the possibility of cross promotion to benefit the university indirectly and the AD directly.

Do I assess the disagreement correctly?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Recluse1 - 04-25-2017 07:25 PM

(04-25-2017 01:13 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  [Image: C-RaV9XXgAENMRC.jpg]

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 04-25-2017 10:38 PM

(04-25-2017 06:56 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(04-24-2017 09:48 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  [quote='OKIcat' pid='14283026' dateline='1492788815']

03-banghead

The only thing I said was soccer was not brought to Nippert to support surrounding businesses. It's nice that it does, but Doss is right - playing Clifton Chamber of Commerce is not an essential component in UC's minor league soccer equation.

All that other stuff you mentioned you conjured up on your own.