CSNbbs
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight (/thread-810171.html)

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatsUC - 04-17-2017 12:28 PM

(04-17-2017 11:14 AM)dave108 Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 10:55 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  If MLS comes to Cincinnati, the FCC experience will suffer without the irreplaceable environment that is Nippert.

I agree. I'm not real big on soccer, bit I would have to think that FCC needs to stay at nipper for future success. I just can't see it drawing the same crowds to some new, sterile location tucked somewhere off of an interstate ramp.

Build a Mapfre in Cincinnati and I bet enthusiasm wanes. I've never been so underwhelmed with a stadium as I was with Mapfre. It's so suburban and sterile - much like Columbus.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - CliftonAve - 04-17-2017 12:31 PM

As others have pointed out this deal is not as awful for UC as some make it to be. The President of the University seems to agree-- he posted this on his twitter:

Neville G. Pinto‏
@Prez_Pinto

Join @fccincinnati this Wednesday for UC Night and get discounted tickets with promo code BEARCATS17: http://on.uc.edu/2oCXovM

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - The T-Shirt - 04-17-2017 12:53 PM

(04-17-2017 12:27 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 12:15 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 11:55 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I thought I read that MLSs concern with respect to stadiums was they wanted their owners to have some control over their stadiums so they could use it as a source of revenue. Obviously that cannot happen at Nippert. Wonder if UC could give lease terms that MLS would be comfortable with. I'm okay with anything​ just so long as it's at least revenue neutral. Having all those non traditional visitors on campus is great exposure for the university

I think FCC controls most of the revenues at Nippert, which is what most people on this board have a problem with. Whereas the team in Louisville who uses Louisville Slugger stadium gets very little revenue from their home games. That team has trouble breaking even each year.

Well, not quite. FCC keeps all the concessions until UC pays them back for making them a soccer field, but after that, it's 50/50. UC keeps all the parking revenue. There is also the rent, but that's really not the biggest chunk in this picture.

What is the University doing with all these concessions that it's buying?!

I bet they freeze it, then throw it in the microwave for the club members next season.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Edgebrookjeff - 04-17-2017 12:57 PM

(04-17-2017 12:53 PM)The T-Shirt Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 12:27 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 12:15 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 11:55 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I thought I read that MLSs concern with respect to stadiums was they wanted their owners to have some control over their stadiums so they could use it as a source of revenue. Obviously that cannot happen at Nippert. Wonder if UC could give lease terms that MLS would be comfortable with. I'm okay with anything​ just so long as it's at least revenue neutral. Having all those non traditional visitors on campus is great exposure for the university

I think FCC controls most of the revenues at Nippert, which is what most people on this board have a problem with. Whereas the team in Louisville who uses Louisville Slugger stadium gets very little revenue from their home games. That team has trouble breaking even each year.

Well, not quite. FCC keeps all the concessions until UC pays them back for making them a soccer field, but after that, it's 50/50. UC keeps all the parking revenue. There is also the rent, but that's really not the biggest chunk in this picture.

What is the University doing with all these concessions that it's buying?!

I bet they freeze it, then throw it in the microwave for the club members next season.

They're charging $9.00 for beer on most nights, so somebody's raking in the cash.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearcat1010 - 04-17-2017 01:00 PM

(04-17-2017 12:28 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 10:55 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  If MLS comes to Cincinnati, the FCC experience will suffer without the irreplaceable environment that is Nippert.

I agree. I'm not real big on soccer, bit I would have to think that FCC needs to stay at nipper for future success. I just can't see it drawing the same crowds to some new, sterile location tucked somewhere off of an interstate ramp.

Build a Mapfre in Cincinnati and I bet enthusiasm wanes. I've never been so underwhelmed with a stadium as I was with Mapfre. It's so suburban and sterile - much like Columbus.

The only comment about Mapfre is always "first" and never nicest or best. Not sure what you were expecting of an oversized high school stadium built in a brownfield on the cheap. The proposed designs for the downtown and then Dublin stadiums were impressive but both needed public funds and were voted down.

So, Mapfre was a compromise in every aspect. The fact that it got built with private funding as quickly as it did was a shock. Now it's almost 20 years old with essentially zero upgrades or changes. Why put money into something you're planning to tear down in a few years I guess. It's better than losing the team in 1999 or having a giant tax supported white elephant.

Mapfre is also a great counter to the soccer as an event argument. The only reason to go watch the Crew is to see the soccer game. No event happening there: parking sucks, amenities suck, location sucks, etc. There are a few locations being discussed for the new stadium which should make quite an improvement.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatmark - 04-17-2017 02:05 PM

Given the amount of people that came through last season and the price of concessions I'd be shocked if UC wasn't already getting a 50/50 split of the concessions profits. FCC paid for the soccer specific stadium alterations and the deal allowed for them to recoup the money through concessions. Seems a reasonable way to help a partner in the short term that is benefiting the university in many ways including for a future long term piece of the concessions sales.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatJerry - 04-17-2017 02:46 PM

(04-17-2017 11:35 AM)crex043 Wrote:  

Unless it's closer to the urban core, then maybe.

I think the big hurdle with the move to MLS is scheduling. I'm sure Nippert can work with UC sports as the primary tenant and FCC getting the remaining dates, but it's not as easy or flexible as them having their own. I'm sure there are plenty of open dates as is now so maybe it won't be too bad.

Why does, or would, UC need to be the "primary tennant"? UC football only needs six dates each fall. And FCC is brining far more fans annually through the gates than Bearcat football does.

And I'm being serious here. Especially if FC Cincinnati goes major league.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 04-17-2017 03:25 PM

(04-17-2017 02:46 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I think the big hurdle with the move to MLS is scheduling. I'm sure Nippert can work with UC sports as the primary tenant and FCC getting the remaining dates, but it's not as easy or flexible as them having their own. I'm sure there are plenty of open dates as is now so maybe it won't be too bad.

Why does, or would, UC need to be the "primary tennant"? UC football only needs six dates each fall. And FCC is brining far more fans annually through the gates than Bearcat football does.

You need to change your user name to FCCJerry.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BearcatJerry - 04-17-2017 04:08 PM

(04-17-2017 03:25 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

You need to change your user name to FCCJerry.

I'm asking a serious but provocative question...

Given the logic that has been advanced, I don't see what objections could be raised if the terms for FC Cincinnati becoming a major league (or whatever term Professional Soccer uses) franchise is that they control the use of the Stadium.

And I mean that without rancor. It's an honest question.

And, Jackie, remember I am a Bearcats FOOTBALL fan, who fell in love with Bearcat FB in no small part because of Nippert Stadium. So, I have not been all gooey-eyed over this matter...though I am resigned to it.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - MercerCo_BearCat - 04-17-2017 04:40 PM

To be honest, I kinda agree with BearcatJerry. The overlap of the seasons is minimal. I want Bearcat football to get priority scheduling in the fall, but other then that, we never did much with the stadium (Press box is a different story). I see no reason why to not give FCC freedom to schedule other events in the stadium (Concerts, weddings, ect.). As long as the profits are split, I see no reason to be opposed.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 04-17-2017 05:11 PM

Brining more fans?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - doss2 - 04-17-2017 05:17 PM

(04-17-2017 04:40 PM)MercerCo_BearCat Wrote:  To be honest, I kinda agree with BearcatJerry. The overlap of the seasons is minimal. I want Bearcat football to get priority scheduling in the fall, but other then that, we never did much with the stadium (Press box is a different story). I see no reason why to not give FCC freedom to schedule other events in the stadium (Concerts, weddings, ect.). As long as the profits are split, I see no reason to be opposed.

I repeat sell Prince Lindner Nippert, drop football, buy Mick a jet to recruit, raise faculty salaries.

The Prince can rename it "Great American Stadium".

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - BeerCat - 04-17-2017 05:53 PM

(04-17-2017 05:17 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 04:40 PM)MercerCo_BearCat Wrote:  To be honest, I kinda agree with BearcatJerry. The overlap of the seasons is minimal. I want Bearcat football to get priority scheduling in the fall, but other then that, we never did much with the stadium (Press box is a different story). I see no reason why to not give FCC freedom to schedule other events in the stadium (Concerts, weddings, ect.). As long as the profits are split, I see no reason to be opposed.

I repeat sell Prince Lindner Nippert, drop football, buy Mick a jet to recruit, raise faculty salaries.

The Prince can rename it "Great American Stadium".

Really amazing points. First class contribution.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 04-17-2017 06:06 PM

More to the point, I'm sure it would go over like a turd in a punch bowl to turn over the control of the FOOTBALL stadium at a public university to a billionaire family to further their private vanity project. Donors for the university's football program just ponied up $87 million to renovate and update it for college football not the Lindner's minor league pro soccer team business venture.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 04-17-2017 06:31 PM

(04-17-2017 06:06 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  More to the point, I'm sure it would go over like a turd in a punch bowl to turn over the control of the FOOTBALL stadium at a public university to a billionaire family to further their private vanity project. Donors for the university's football program just ponied up $87 million to renovate and update it for college football not the Lindner's minor league pro soccer team business venture.

Did I miss where someone even came close to suggesting turning over control of our stadium to FC Cincinnati? Are you just advancing conspiracies?

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Racinejake - 04-17-2017 06:35 PM

(04-17-2017 06:31 PM)geef Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 06:06 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  More to the point, I'm sure it would go over like a turd in a punch bowl to turn over the control of the FOOTBALL stadium at a public university to a billionaire family to further their private vanity project. Donors for the university's football program just ponied up $87 million to renovate and update it for college football not the Lindner's minor league pro soccer team business venture.

Did I miss where someone even came close to suggesting turning over control of our stadium to FC Cincinnati?

Yes

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - geef - 04-17-2017 06:39 PM

(04-17-2017 06:35 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

Did I miss where someone even came close to suggesting turning over control of our stadium to FC Cincinnati?

Yes

Then I apologize. I love that they play in the stadium. Of course it's silly that precedent would be given to anyone but our football team, or control given to anyone but the university.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Racinejake - 04-17-2017 06:40 PM

(04-17-2017 06:39 PM)geef Wrote:  

Yes

Then I apologize. I love that they play in the stadium. Of course it's silly that precedent would be given to anyone but our football team, or control given to anyone but the university.

I agree. I should've said 'yes, but no one outside of this message board.'

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - bearcatmark - 04-17-2017 06:41 PM

Did I miss where someone even came close to suggesting turning over control of our stadium to FC Cincinnati? Are you just advancing conspiracies?

A couple anti fcc posters suggested it as if it was some sort of option. No chance the university would consider it. It was an absurd suggestion. Nippert is uc's but that doesn't mean we can't have a very fruitful partnetship with fcc.

RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - JackieTreehorn - 04-17-2017 06:44 PM

Yes

When you're considered the primary tenant, you are in control of the stadium.