CSNbbs
2017 MLB Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+----- Forum: Pro Sports (/forum-516.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 MLB Season Thread (/thread-809851.html)

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-12-2017 02:31 PM

(05-12-2017 01:08 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 12:01 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 08:40 AM)stever20 Wrote:  so was looking at baseball-reference. 1st off- he right now leads the NL in WAR in there as well- not too often a guy leads in WAR in both FG and BR.

was looking at their comps of similar pitchers thru his age..... Verlander, Smoltz, Mussina, Hamels, Welch, Saberhagen, Lester, Bunning, Peavy, and Jack Morris. Got me thinking. Does he have a shot with another 2-3 good years of actually making the Hall of Fame? I wouldn't have thought so originally but man you look at his numbers and they aren't bad.

wouldn't have thought it possible either, but like you said if he can turn in another 2-3 good years then there's a chance. A lot will depend on how willing the voters will be to lower their bars. We need to change the definition of what it means to be a hall of fame pitcher

Yeah. If he could keep this year up and get another Cy Young, that'd be 2(plus his incredible 2015 year where voters should treat all 3 of him, Arrieta, and Kershaw as having Cy Young seasons given how incredible all 3 were that season). And the thing is looking at him- he's still only 33. You would think he's still got 2-3 really good years left after this year. He's got a shot at getting up to around 250 wins(which I feel we're going to look at years from now as the new 300).

agree on all points, especially the one about 2015. Just because only one won the Cy Young, doesn't mean the others should be thought of as not having CY seasons. In the end, awards voting is fraught with individual bias, to the point where HOF voters should be looking at the stats, not the hardware

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-12-2017 02:45 PM

looking at his next several opponents- remember what I said about Kershaw and his tough slate prior to All Star Break(starting tonight vs Rockies in Colorado)? Well, Greinke is much luckier... his opponents thru all star break should things work as scheduled- Mets, White Sox, @ Brewers, @ Marlins, Padres, @ Tigers, @ Rockies, Phillies, Rockies, and @ Dodgers. A few tough ones but also some like the Mets, White Sox, and Padres. Much more balanced than what Kershaw is seeing. Amazing how that can work out some times.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - Brookes Owl - 05-12-2017 02:53 PM

(05-12-2017 01:08 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 12:01 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 08:40 AM)stever20 Wrote:  so was looking at baseball-reference. 1st off- he right now leads the NL in WAR in there as well- not too often a guy leads in WAR in both FG and BR.

was looking at their comps of similar pitchers thru his age..... Verlander, Smoltz, Mussina, Hamels, Welch, Saberhagen, Lester, Bunning, Peavy, and Jack Morris. Got me thinking. Does he have a shot with another 2-3 good years of actually making the Hall of Fame? I wouldn't have thought so originally but man you look at his numbers and they aren't bad.

wouldn't have thought it possible either, but like you said if he can turn in another 2-3 good years then there's a chance. A lot will depend on how willing the voters will be to lower their bars. We need to change the definition of what it means to be a hall of fame pitcher

Yeah. If he could keep this year up and get another Cy Young, that'd be 2(plus his incredible 2015 year where voters should treat all 3 of him, Arrieta, and Kershaw as having Cy Young seasons given how incredible all 3 were that season). And the thing is looking at him- he's still only 33. You would think he's still got 2-3 really good years left after this year. He's got a shot at getting up to around 250 wins(which I feel we're going to look at years from now as the new 300).

It might boil down to "will he" vs "should he". As swoosh notes, the voters' evolving definitions (in particular the recognition of key analytics) of what constitutes hall of fame performance could make the difference. For example, I think Greinke has a near-zero chance of winning 90 more games in his career. He's in his year 33 season and would have to average 15 wins for this year plus 5 more to get there. I think wins are a terrible metric for a pitcher but if 250 is what it's going to take, that's just asking too much from Greinke. A Cy Young this year probably puts him in. But if he can be just in the running for a Cy Young this year and maybe one more? That might do it as long as his remaining seasons are at least decent. Some of his career numbers are pretty elite looking: WHIP, H/9, but they're not the kind of stats that get you in unless you have exceptional longevity. ERA is not exceptional but if he can pitch for another 5 or 6 years and keep his stats close to where they are now, I think he'd probably be close, if not in.

Bottom line: If he can perform at or near his career averages for the next 4-5 years, he'll be at least very close. If he can exceed his career averages for the next 2-3, I think he's in.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - Brookes Owl - 05-12-2017 02:57 PM

(05-12-2017 02:45 PM)stever20 Wrote:  looking at his next several opponents- remember what I said about Kershaw and his tough slate prior to All Star Break(starting tonight vs Rockies in Colorado)? Well, Greinke is much luckier... his opponents thru all star break should things work as scheduled- Mets, White Sox, @ Brewers, @ Marlins, Padres, @ Tigers, @ Rockies, Phillies, Rockies, and @ Dodgers. A few tough ones but also some like the Mets, White Sox, and Padres. Much more balanced than what Kershaw is seeing. Amazing how that can work out some times.

Kersh's last start at Rockies was a disaster. That team is a buzz saw. Tonight should be interesting...

ETA: Interesting it was. His slider had better movement but his curve was useless, so hitters were able to sit on the fastball, a little. 2 runs in 7 innings - and only 4 Ks. Actually a pretty good result considering the opponent and the location. Certainly not dominant Kershaw though.

Bellinger has 7 HRs in 16 career games.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-14-2017 03:27 PM

Nats pen blows another 9th inning lead. If they stabilize that inning they could be WS favorites. Until then...

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-15-2017 08:00 AM

Michael A Taylor with a homer last night to give the Nats a split with the Phils and gives them a 2-1 series win. 7.5 game lead now on the Mets- it looks like it's over now.

Taylor batting .333 since the Eaton injury. .516 babip won't last- but he does have 7 of the 18 hits for extra bases(which might last). Definitely with how he's going- if he can keep up anywhere near this- Nats won't have to make a move to sure up the CF position.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-15-2017 09:43 AM

(05-15-2017 08:00 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Michael A Taylor with a homer last night to give the Nats a split with the Phils and gives them a 2-1 series win. 7.5 game lead now on the Mets- it looks like it's over now.

Taylor batting .333 since the Eaton injury. .516 babip won't last- but he does have 7 of the 18 hits for extra bases(which might last). Definitely with how he's going- if he can keep up anywhere near this- Nats won't have to make a move to sure up the CF position.

it won't?

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - Brookes Owl - 05-15-2017 03:15 PM

(05-15-2017 09:43 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 08:00 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Michael A Taylor with a homer last night to give the Nats a split with the Phils and gives them a 2-1 series win. 7.5 game lead now on the Mets- it looks like it's over now.

it won't?

Heh. Even with his *slightly* above norm BABIP, his wRC+ is sub-90, BB at 5% and K at 37.5%, so you can see where he is headed. Thing is, Nats are so productive I think all they need is for Taylor to be a decent fielder and "not terrible" at the plate. In fact, they might be fine even if he IS terrible if the rest of the team can sustain something near where they are now.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-15-2017 03:39 PM

(05-15-2017 03:15 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(05-15-2017 09:43 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

it won't?

Heh. Even with his *slightly* above norm BABIP, his wRC+ is sub-90, BB at 5% and K at 37.5%, so you can see where he is headed. Thing is, Nats are so productive I think all they need is for Taylor to be a decent fielder and "not terrible" at the plate. In fact, they might be fine even if he IS terrible if the rest of the team can sustain something near where they are now.
a lot of that was his start though. Since he started playing every day, his wRC+ is 140. (before that it was -43).

The other thing with him is he's hitting a ton with guys on base... since he started playing every day- had 30 pa's with the bases empty, and 27 with guys on base. In those 27 pa's he's batting .480. So they're not able to really pitch around him at all.

the thing is, like you say he doesn't need to be great or anything- but like I said last week I believe- he just needs to not be a black hole. And so far at least thru 14 games, he's not been.

one other point on his babip. look at his career numbers. it's been high yearly. career now babip is .323. when he's made contact he's doing ok.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-16-2017 08:42 AM

so if I told swoosh back opening day on May 16 Matt Cain would be 3-1 with a 4.04 ERA(and a 4.15 FIP) with 8 starts made, I think he would have thought the Giants would have been in really good shape. You take out the dreadful start vs the Reds, he's got in the other 7 games a 2.31 ERA. For what was supposed to be a 5th starter, just what you would want.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-16-2017 10:44 AM

(05-16-2017 08:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  so if I told swoosh back opening day on May 16 Matt Cain would be 3-1 with a 4.04 ERA(and a 4.15 FIP) with 8 starts made, I think he would have thought the Giants would have been in really good shape. You take out the dreadful start vs the Reds, he's got in the other 7 games a 2.31 ERA. For what was supposed to be a 5th starter, just what you would want.

I don't really believe in that ERA, or the FIP for that matter, but I'm happy for him.

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-16-2017 10:47 AM

(05-16-2017 10:44 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 08:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  so if I told swoosh back opening day on May 16 Matt Cain would be 3-1 with a 4.04 ERA(and a 4.15 FIP) with 8 starts made, I think he would have thought the Giants would have been in really good shape. You take out the dreadful start vs the Reds, he's got in the other 7 games a 2.31 ERA. For what was supposed to be a 5th starter, just what you would want.

I don't really believe in that ERA, or the FIP for that matter, but I'm happy for him.
Right but if I had told you back in March that Cain would be 3-1 with a 4.04 ERA/4.15 FIP- with 8 starts made 40 games into the season- where would you have thought the Giants would be right now?

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - Brookes Owl - 05-16-2017 10:59 AM

Matt motherf'ing Cain. I found myself saying "yeah, it's the Giants" last night. Late last week and over the weekend I was saying "yeah, it's Coors Field." I can't keep doing that. At this point last year the Dodgers were 20-18 and 1 game back of the Giants. The offense was terrible mediocre and guys were injured or recovering from injuries, so there was room for improvement. Now they're 22-17 and 2 games back. Offense is actually decent; pitching is pretty good. Problem is the Rockies are just playing great right now. Statistically it's not obvious why they're playing so well. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's an indicator that the standings will change as the season moves along. Way too early to panic but can't help worrying a little...

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-16-2017 11:20 AM

(05-16-2017 10:47 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Right but if I had told you back in March that Cain would be 3-1 with a 4.04 ERA/4.15 FIP- with 8 starts made 40 games into the season- where would you have thought the Giants would be right now?

ahead of the dodgers

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-16-2017 11:22 AM

(05-16-2017 10:59 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Matt motherf'ing Cain. I found myself saying "yeah, it's the Giants" last night. Late last week and over the weekend I was saying "yeah, it's Coors Field." I can't keep doing that. At this point last year the Dodgers were 20-18 and 1 game back of the Giants. The offense was terrible mediocre and guys were injured or recovering from injuries, so there was room for improvement. Now they're 22-17 and 2 games back. Offense is actually decent; pitching is pretty good. Problem is the Rockies are just playing great right now. Statistically it's not obvious why they're playing so well. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's an indicator that the standings will change as the season moves along. Way too early to panic but can't help worrying a little...

I think the playoffs will be quite fun this year. In the AL you'll have a battle between the Indians and Astros, as well as possible contests between the Yanks and Sox. And in the NL the Dodgers and Nats could be fun again, while the Cardinals and Cubs are likely to be in the mix (i expect the Cubs to look to add a starting pitcher). And I've been a big believer of the Rockies for the last few months and that has not changed. They're due to improve once Gray comes back

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-16-2017 11:26 AM

(05-16-2017 11:20 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

ahead of the dodgers

exactly. You just don't want your 5th starter to be a black hole quite frankly. Giants are 5-3 in his 8 starts, and 1 of the losses he allowed only 1 run before the pen imploded.

Giants fans should be rooting for him big time next 2 months because given his contract status, they could trade him and get something in return for him near the deadline.....

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-16-2017 11:38 AM

(05-16-2017 11:22 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 10:59 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Matt motherf'ing Cain. I found myself saying "yeah, it's the Giants" last night. Late last week and over the weekend I was saying "yeah, it's Coors Field." I can't keep doing that. At this point last year the Dodgers were 20-18 and 1 game back of the Giants. The offense was terrible mediocre and guys were injured or recovering from injuries, so there was room for improvement. Now they're 22-17 and 2 games back. Offense is actually decent; pitching is pretty good. Problem is the Rockies are just playing great right now. Statistically it's not obvious why they're playing so well. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's an indicator that the standings will change as the season moves along. Way too early to panic but can't help worrying a little...

I think the playoffs will be quite fun this year. In the AL you'll have a battle between the Indians and Astros, as well as possible contests between the Yanks and Sox. And in the NL the Dodgers and Nats could be fun again, while the Cardinals and Cubs are likely to be in the mix (i expect the Cubs to look to add a starting pitcher). And I've been a big believer of the Rockies for the last few months and that has not changed. They're due to improve once Gray comes back

still say don't sleep on Arizona. They are in a really soft part of their schedule. From now until June 20- or 30 games, the only games they have with a current winning team- 7 with Milwaukee. Then the 19 games before the break are just huge. with 6 with Colorado, 3 with St Louis, and 3 with the Dodgers included in those 19 games. They could get to that stretch though like with a 42-28(going 20-10 in these 30 games).

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-16-2017 11:44 AM

(05-16-2017 11:26 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 11:20 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

ahead of the dodgers

exactly. You just don't want your 5th starter to be a black hole quite frankly. Giants are 5-3 in his 8 starts, and 1 of the losses he allowed only 1 run before the pen imploded.

Giants fans should be rooting for him big time next 2 months because given his contract status, they could trade him and get something in return for him near the deadline.....

that would be the ultimate blessing

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - flyingswoosh - 05-16-2017 11:47 AM

(05-16-2017 11:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

still say don't sleep on Arizona. They are in a really soft part of their schedule. From now until June 20- or 30 games, the only games they have with a current winning team- 7 with Milwaukee. Then the 19 games before the break are just huge. with 6 with Colorado, 3 with St Louis, and 3 with the Dodgers included in those 19 games. They could get to that stretch though like with a 42-28(going 20-10 in these 30 games).

they might be able to stay in the hunt for the WC. I just didn't include them because i don't think they'd put up much of a fight in the postseason. Was really just doing a general summary of the possible fun matchups

RE: 2017 MLB Season Thread - stever20 - 05-16-2017 12:02 PM

(05-16-2017 11:47 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 11:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

they might be able to stay in the hunt for the WC. I just didn't include them because i don't think they'd put up much of a fight in the postseason. Was really just doing a general summary of the possible fun matchups
I think Arizona could be better than you think. Offense is pretty good, and the starters are doing pretty well as well. They have a good pen(minus closer). In a short series, they wouldn't be fun to see....

for Colorado these next 4 weeks are huge. 21 of 28 games upcoming on the road. 2 eastern swings in there as well. The thing also you wonder about with them is they have 2 young starters who are doing really well right now. But you wonder the innings count for them. Sentatela had only 35 innings last year.. Freeland had 162. Setnatela has 49 right now, Freeland makes start tonight entering with 40.