CSNbbs
Group of 5 Playoff - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Group of 5 Playoff (/thread-803783.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Group of 5 Playoff - APPdiesel - 12-29-2016 11:02 AM

Several ADs, including NIU's Sean Frazier (the only one who would support it on the record) are pushing for a separate Group of 5 playoff.

It's 2016 and everybody wants a trophy. These ADs will gladly relegate us all back to FCS for confetti and a shiny cup.

Discuss.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18369921/growing-number-group-5-officials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio

Group of 5 Playoff - WolfBird - 12-29-2016 11:07 AM

It's the stupidest idea ever. I figure the recent FCS move ups will be furious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - TheEagleWay - 12-29-2016 11:13 AM

No thank you.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - ManOnABuffalo - 12-29-2016 11:16 AM

You are correct, this is total BS.

If you want a JV championship FCS already exists for that. That is not a bash on FCS as a whole I understand our own history there, and FCS has good teams across a number of conferences. However FBS is varsity level football, based on a number of factors. To add a subdivision in there and go for another JV championship is asinine. We should point all efforts towards a 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids and three at large selection, minimum one of those from the G5.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - JCGSU - 12-29-2016 11:16 AM

[Image: han.gif]

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - bullitt_60 - 12-29-2016 11:17 AM

(12-29-2016 11:02 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Several ADs, including NIU's Sean Frazier (the only one who would support it on the record) are pushing for a separate Group of 5 playoff.

It's 2016 and everybody wants a trophy. These ADs will gladly relegate us all back to FCS for confetti and a shiny cup.

Discuss.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18369921/growing-number-group-5-officials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio

I highly doubt there is much support for this outside of Frazier and handful of moronic ADs. If I were a NIU booster, I would be calling for his head for even opening his mouth.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - TheEagleWay - 12-29-2016 11:18 AM

I do remember this being mentioned years back when Southern was first discussing moving up to FBS. The talk was that the mid-majors would form their own playoff system.. looks like this idea is picking up steam.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - AppinVA - 12-29-2016 11:20 AM

[Image: 22A73A81-28C2-40D7-8D66-E117F22E6CCA_zpsox9lp1e4.jpg]

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - EigenEagle - 12-29-2016 11:24 AM

The "Look at us we're Power 6" conference will never, ever, ever agree to this. And as a result, none of the other G5 leagues will either.

Seems like a non-news story of one or two ADs just spitballing, nothing to see here.

Once again I will float the suggestion...let the two highest-rated G5 conference champs play for the Access Bowl spot.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - Fanof49ASU - 12-29-2016 11:35 AM

The playoffs in FBS will expand. Be patient.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - Crump1 - 12-29-2016 11:37 AM

(12-29-2016 11:35 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  The playoffs in FBS will expand. Be patient.
Yes. This is one AD at a school that has trouble drawing fans. There is no momentum for such an idiotic idea.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - AppManDG - 12-29-2016 11:38 AM

Have seen this coming for several years. The networks will throw some cash at it and that'll be the all it takes.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - TrueBlueDrew - 12-29-2016 11:44 AM

(12-29-2016 11:07 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  It's the stupidest idea ever. I figure the recent FCS move ups will be furious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. We didn't come all this way to get cut off again. That would make the G5 the new FCS. It would also open the door for everyone with enough money to jump from FCS to FBS at will. I'm not going to be in a conference with JSU, college of Charleston, EKU, etc.

Shudders

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - 97App - 12-29-2016 11:48 AM

Agree with everyone a playoff solely for the G5 and we may as well start discussing scholarship reductions and "cost-containment" football.

What I would like to see is an agreement among the G5 that the 4 conference champions not chosen for the access bowl slot be paired into two "champions bowls" to highlight the best of what our conferences have to offer. Conference champ vs. Conference champ.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - bullitt_60 - 12-29-2016 11:49 AM

(12-29-2016 11:38 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Have seen this coming for several years. The networks will throw some cash at it and that'll be the all it takes.

Just like the FCS? Or how the networks are throwing money at us now?

The only thing that would cause a divide is the P5 wanting to take the money we are getting now for themselves.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - AppinVA - 12-29-2016 11:50 AM

(12-29-2016 11:48 AM)97App Wrote:  Agree with everyone a playoff solely for the G5 and we may as well start discussing scholarship reductions and "cost-containment" football.

What I would like to see is an agreement among the G5 that the 4 conference champions not chosen for the access bowl slot be paired into two "champions bowls" to highlight the best of what our conferences have to offer. Conference champ vs. Conference champ.

Now, that is a tremendous idea.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - Usajags - 12-29-2016 11:51 AM

The big boys don't like the progress made by the "mid-major" conferences. That's why they give us shut up money from the playoff money. But right now we are not part of their play ground. Houston could have broken that glass ceiling this season, but they crapped the bed in conference play. WMU was undefeated but had 2 B1G wins over terrible teams and you see how they treated them, ranked #15 in the playoff rankings, never got close.

Right now, the best a G5 team can play for is their conference championship and a bowl against the left out P5 school. In the end, if WMU beats Wisconsin, it will be said that Wisconsin wasn't up for the game and that's why they lost. No progress for WMU.

The only thing that will make life better is winning, the entire G5 has to get better and win OOC games. Force them to take notice. Their notice will be a change of rules that gives them yet another advantage.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - JCGSU - 12-29-2016 11:55 AM

(12-29-2016 11:48 AM)97App Wrote:  Agree with everyone a playoff solely for the G5 and we may as well start discussing scholarship reductions and "cost-containment" football.

GS was banging its head on the FCS ceiling for nearly two decades I dont want to see limitations placed on us again. We basically saw zero growth or additional interest in DIV IAA after our fourth NC. The 99-00 NC's saw no bump in attendance or donations or conference growth. It is frustrating to be even with other FCS teams just because you had no more room to grow in the FCS. We are a long way off from bumping our heads on the G5 ceiling but I would rather it be a very high one and rather than having teams pulled down to us.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - Bobcat2013 - 12-29-2016 11:59 AM

Stupid idea. I can see all of the guys on AGS salivating at this lol. It's funny how they think they're above us but they'd nut at the chance to merge the FCS with the G5.

RE: Group of 5 Playoff - Saint3333 - 12-29-2016 01:00 PM

(12-29-2016 11:38 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Have seen this coming for several years. The networks will throw some cash at it and that'll be the all it takes.

Fool me twice, shame on me. The carrot will be provided, then the stick.