CSNbbs
MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? (/thread-797796.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - UofToledoFans - 11-10-2016 01:06 AM

WMU
TOLEDO
OHIO
EMU

5-6 Akron has 1 game left against Ohio
5-5 CMU has 2 games left against Ohio and EMU
***4-6 Miami has 2 games left against UB and Ball State
4-6 Ball State has 2 games left against Toledo and Miami

My money is on Miami and I don't think the MAC will get another... What an even year outside of the top couple teams.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - NIU007 - 11-10-2016 01:11 AM

Those are probably the only 4 that belong in a bowl.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - emu steve - 11-10-2016 01:16 AM

(11-10-2016 01:06 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  WMU
TOLEDO
OHIO
EMU

5-6 Akron has 1 game left against Ohio
5-5 CMU has 2 games left against Ohio and EMU
***4-6 Miami has 2 games left against UB and Ball State
4-6 Ball State has 2 games left against Toledo and Miami

My money is on Miami and I don't think the MAC will get another... What an even year outside of the top couple teams.

That would mean, presumably, that we'll be filling our obligations and not be looking at other bowl games (e.g., Quick Lane in Detroit).

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - toddjnsn - 11-10-2016 02:47 AM

The way the other 4 have been playing, I say Miami is the only one Worthy of playing in a bowl. Miami's hot.

CMU has a decent shot between Ohio & EMU. Obviously better chance with EMU, but CMU has been not so good lately, but they'd be pumped to make a rivalry type game out of it and step up.

- Miami has Pretty Decent Shot
- CMU has A Pretty Possible, But Don't Bet on It Shot
- Akron has VERY little shot
- Ball State has NO SHOT... you can bet your pet's virginity on this one

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - emu steve - 11-10-2016 06:01 AM

This affects bowl lineups. Will the MAC be able to fill its primary bowl commitments?

If not, it can't fill secondary bowl like the Quick Lane Bowl.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - Rocket75 - 11-10-2016 08:05 AM

Negotiations and trades go on every year. If Detroit wants EMU, they will find a way to get them there.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - bcunn3128 - 11-10-2016 08:25 AM

And keep in mind that WMU should be shopped to a "better" bowl than the MAC tie-ins if they finish the season undefeated.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - kreed5120 - 11-10-2016 09:26 AM

Can we just pause for a minute and acknowledge the fact that once upon a time 0-6 Miami is the MAC's best chance for a 5th bowl team?

Edit: Does anyone know Miami's chances of being one of the 5-7 schools selected based off APR?

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - bobcat_backer - 11-10-2016 10:06 AM

(11-10-2016 09:26 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Can we just pause for a minute and acknowledge the fact that once upon a time 0-6 Miami is the MAC's best chance for a 5th bowl team?

Edit: Does anyone know Miami's chances of being one of the 5-7 schools selected based off APR?

I'd rather not, thanks! LOL We've already had one disgusting event happen this week; we don't need another!

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - cleveland - 11-10-2016 10:42 AM

(11-10-2016 08:25 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  And keep in mind that WMU should be shopped to a "better" bowl than the MAC tie-ins if they finish the season undefeated.

They are tracking for the Jan. 1 Cotton Bowl ... a $6-mill payday to the MAC.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - Tom in Lazybrook - 11-10-2016 12:31 PM

(11-10-2016 09:26 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Can we just pause for a minute and acknowledge the fact that once upon a time 0-6 Miami is the MAC's best chance for a 5th bowl team?

Here's the teams that will likely bowl before 5-7 Miami (OH)

1. 5-6 Army with 2 FCS wins. They still have Morgan State. Teams with 6 wins, including 2 FCS wins go before 5-7 APR teams. Army is a lock for that position.

2. 4-5 USA with 2 FCS wins. They have a second FCS team (Presbyterian) and NMSU at home. They should win both. If they do, they'll be pick 2 in the unconvntionally qualifying pool

3. 4-6 Hawai'i who bowls before APR teams at 6-7. They have Umass and Freson at home, win those and they bowl before any APR teams.

---

Then one would go to the 5-7 APR teams.

Duke (3-6 with UNC, Pitt, Miami (FL))
Northwestern (4-6 with Illinois and @ Purdue)
Vanderbilt (4-5 with Missouri, UK, and Tenn)
Georgia Tech (5-4 with Virginia, VT, and UGA)
North Texas (4-5 with WKU, USM, and UTEP)
Central Florida - (5-4 with Cincy, Tulsa, and USF)
Boston College - (4-5 with Uconn, Fla State, and Wake)
Indiana - (5-4 with Purdue, Penn St and Mich)
Notre Dame - (3-6 with Army, VT, and So Cal left)

NC State is tied with Miami (OH) - If bowl gets to pick a tie breaker, you're not going...NC State is 4-5 with Syracuse, NC and Miami FL remaining.

I think Duke doesn't get to 5, NW qualifies conventionally, Vandy takes the first APR slot, GT qualifies conventionally, UNT takes the second APR spot, UCF qualifies conventionally, BC takes the third APR slot, Indiana qualifies conventionally, ND takes the fourth APR slot and NC State would take the fifth.

So, if even after, Indiana, UCF, GT, and NW qualifying conventionally, and USA, Hawai'i, and Army going....if there are still more than five APR slots, then Miami OH could go. Right now, getting 6 APR teams is a very long shot. I think maybe 2 get in this year.

---

Miami's chances of getting an APR spot are small.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - kreed5120 - 11-10-2016 12:39 PM

(11-10-2016 12:31 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

1. 5-6 Army with 2 FCS wins. They still have Morgan State. Teams with 6 wins, including 2 FCS wins go before 5-7 APR teams. Army is a lock for that position.

2. 4-5 USA with 2 FCS wins. They have a second FCS team (Presbyterian) and NMSU at home. They should win both. If they do, they'll be pick 2 in the unconvntionally qualifying pool

3. 4-6 Hawai'i who bowls before APR teams at 6-7. They have Umass and Freson at home, win those and they bowl before any APR teams.

---

NC State is tied with Miami (OH) - If bowl gets to pick a tie breaker, you're not going...NC State is 4-5 with Syracuse, NC and Miami FL remaining.

I think Duke doesn't get to 5, NW qualifies conventionally, Vandy takes the first APR slot, GT qualifies conventionally, UNT takes the second APR spot, UCF qualifies conventionally, BC takes the third APR slot, Indiana qualifies conventionally, ND takes the fourth APR slot and NC State would take the fifth.

So, if even after, Indiana, UCF, GT, and NW qualifying conventionally, and USA, Hawai'i, and Army going....if there are still more than five APR slots, then Miami OH could go. Right now, getting 6 APR teams is a very long shot. I think maybe 2 get in this year.

---

Thanks for the detailed post. For the record I'm not a Miami (OH) fan, far from it. Being a "Public Ivy" I expected them to be up there in APR. I just find it incredible that a team that started 0-6 has a legitimate chance of bowling.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - bobcat_backer - 11-10-2016 01:29 PM

(11-10-2016 12:39 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

---

---

Thanks for the detailed post. For the record I'm not a Miami (OH) fan, far from it. Being a "Public Ivy" I expected them to be up there in APR. I just find it incredible that a team that started 0-6 has a legitimate chance of bowling.

them being a "Public Ivy" is a myth they perpetrated to make them look better than they actually are.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - UofToledoFans - 11-10-2016 03:00 PM

If favored teams win out...

WMU to cotton
Toledo to dollar gen
Ohio to Bahamas
EMU to Potato

MIAMI to camelia

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - emu steve - 11-10-2016 03:11 PM

(11-10-2016 03:00 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If favored teams win out...

WMU to cotton
Toledo to dollar gen
Ohio to Bahamas
EMU to Potato

MIAMI to camelia

Other than WMU to Cotton is there a specific rationale for linking teams to particular bowls?

What I'm getting it, certain bowls are more desirable because of day of week, distance, cost of travel, etc.? E.g., Bahamas is expensive. Boise is not a reasonable drive and the weather is cold for FB.

MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - indianasniff - 11-10-2016 04:08 PM

Team going to Bahamas probably already knows because of passport process and the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - UofToledoFans - 11-10-2016 04:29 PM

(11-10-2016 03:11 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 03:00 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  If favored teams win out...

WMU to cotton
Toledo to dollar gen
Ohio to Bahamas
EMU to Potato

MIAMI to camelia

Other than WMU to Cotton is there a specific rationale for linking teams to particular bowls?

What I'm getting it, certain bowls are more desirable because of day of week, distance, cost of travel, etc.? E.g., Bahamas is expensive. Boise is not a reasonable drive and the weather is cold for FB.

The potato bowl is not reasonable for the MAC in general. EMU has a win over Wyo, so there is a MWC connection this season. The other schools have already all gone to Boise (not Miami, but Idaho has choice and would pick an 8 win EMU team first) so the bowl would like a new team I am sure. EMU fans are happy in general to be in a bowl so they would likely travel better than other MAC schools anyhow. A bowl game (even in Idaho) is where EMU wants to be. To me it makes logical sense for the Eagles in the spud bowl.

Ohio could go to the dollar general and Toledo to bahamas? But the others seem likely locked. Camelia has last choice and MU will be the last option. I bet they would get pinned against a hot stAte team.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - CMUprof - 11-10-2016 04:38 PM

(11-10-2016 04:08 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Team going to Bahamas probably already knows because of passport process and the like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When CMU went they put together passports the summer before the season started, just in case. I'm sure there are a couple of teams that have been proactive and are prepared.

It also seems like whoever plays in the MACC rarely returns to Detroit for the bowl game. Fans are not likely to make the return trip just a few weeks later.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - axeme - 11-10-2016 04:50 PM

I thought the Bahamas was two out of every three years for the MAC and this was the MAC's off-year.

RE: MAC with only 4 or 5 bowl teams??? - DICK - 11-10-2016 04:55 PM

(11-10-2016 01:29 PM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 12:39 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

---

---

them being a "Public Ivy" is a myth they perpetrated to make them look better than they actually are.

Quit being a jerk. Miami earns it rep based on annually being rated #1,#2, or #3 as an undergraduate teaching university. Princeton and Dartmouth are the other 2 who are usually there in the rankings. Miami does not do a great deal with research, does not emphasize graduate school as much, but is a great undergraduate school. The other area Miami always ranks high in is value of the education per dollar earned. If the ranking involve grad school or major research projects, we will not be ranked highly.