CSNbbs
One week out MBB vs VaState - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: One week out MBB vs VaState (/thread-795936.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

One week out MBB vs VaState - HeadsetGuy - 10-26-2016 11:37 AM

watching the media day webcast, I had forgotten that MBB is next week, Wed and Fri.

I am thinking that the
starters will be Caver, Baker, Talley, Brendan Stith and Taylor
First subs: BJ Stith, Green, Porter, Pinckney, Haynes, Kah and Carver.
Deep reserves: Fields, Mauras, Vassor

Questions to be determined:
1. Who will be the Nik Biberaj Memorial Jeff Jones chew toy?
2. Who will be the backup PF, Kah, Carver?
3. Backup PG: Haynes, Pinckney or Green?
4. Will ODU pick-up the pace, shoot with more than :10 on the clock?

One week out MBB vs VaState - ODUCoach - 10-26-2016 11:47 AM

I agree with your starters. I think Green will redshirt. I think you'll seek Haynes as the backup PG. I think Porter and Kah will be the primary bigs off the bench. I'd bet on Kay as the primary chew toy, but Talley may challenge for the gig.

Especially early in the season, we're going to need Talley to be super aggressive on the offensive end. We will get 1000 offensive rebounds per game. Brandan will have double-doubles in at least 20 games this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - ODU_NYG - 10-26-2016 11:54 AM

Even though we haven't seen a lot of these guys play before, I have to say I love the depth on this team. At least on paper.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - MonarchManiac - 10-26-2016 12:06 PM

Stoked on this....can't believe it's already here.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - odu09 - 10-26-2016 12:14 PM

I'm thinking Caver will be the chew toy this year. Freshman training wheels have come off.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - 757ODU - 10-26-2016 12:15 PM

Starters:
1 Caver
2 Baker
3 Talley
4 Taylor
5 Stith

Reserves at positions

1 I am still not ruling Pinckney out, Haynes
2 Haynes BJ
3 BJ
4 Kah Carver
5 Porter Kah

Others will have to fight for any time at all.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - 757ODU - 10-26-2016 12:16 PM

(10-26-2016 12:14 PM)odu09 Wrote:  I'm thinking Caver will be the chew toy this year. Freshman training wheels have come off.

He is going to be so exciting to watch for the next three years. An opportunity to finally see a floor general that likes to get out, push the pace, and unbelievable court vision.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - odu09 - 10-26-2016 12:17 PM

Don't know if you meant to list them that way, but I think Stith is definitely the 4 and Taylor is the 5 in that set up. I'm thinking the same line up. If Baker struggles like he did last year I see BJ starting over him.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - odu09 - 10-26-2016 12:18 PM

(10-26-2016 12:16 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 12:14 PM)odu09 Wrote:  I'm thinking Caver will be the chew toy this year. Freshman training wheels have come off.

He is going to be so exciting to watch for the next three years. An opportunity to finally see a floor general that likes to get out, push the pace, and unbelievable court vision.

Absolutely. Jones is going to push him to his limit and I'm looking forward to seeing the potential come to reality.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - HeadsetGuy - 10-26-2016 12:20 PM

If Baker comes off the bench, he would be the lone guy save Vassor with ODU game experience off the pine, probably a good idea

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - IronMonarch - 10-26-2016 12:52 PM

Remember, Baker brings that Defensive tenacity to the team so it isn't all about his offensive struggles. I think we have some flexibility and depth in this lineup to matchup against opposing teams depending on our game plan. It will be a fun year for ODU basketball. I hope the chemistry is there. I'm not at all worried about the effort level with people like Stith, Taylor, and Baker. I'll be interested in 3 things:

1. Clutch 3 point shots
2. Free throw percentage
3. Foul trouble

If we can do well in these three, I'll say we make it to the tourney this year.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - blewbyu - 10-26-2016 02:03 PM

(10-26-2016 11:47 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I agree with your starters. I think Green will redshirt. I think you'll seek Haynes as the backup PG. I think Porter and Kah will be the primary bigs off the bench. I'd bet on Kay as the primary chew toy, but Talley may challenge for the gig.

Especially early in the season, we're going to need Talley to be super aggressive on the offensive end. We will get 1000 offensive rebounds per game. Brandan will have double-doubles in at least 20 games this year.

Not sure where you got your info but Haynes is in no way shape or form a point guard.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - Mr.BigBlue - 10-26-2016 02:19 PM

Haynes is more of a combo guard but he can play PG. Seen him many times play PG and will like at times spell Caver as will Pinkney.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - Petey Hodge - 10-26-2016 03:12 PM

Where's Moseley....?

Oh yeah, that's right.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - ODU_NYG - 10-26-2016 03:36 PM

I'm wonder what the plan is for Fields. I know he's far down the depth chart, but is he someone that can redshirt? Is he someone they can deveolpe or is he someone that is kind of what you see is what you get? Not that I'm expecting a lot of minutes (probably a lot of DNPs mostly), but what the staff see's as his potential. Or am I just thinking too much about a kid that probably isn't going to contribute much over the next couple of seasons?

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - Monarchblue - 10-26-2016 03:47 PM

(10-26-2016 02:03 PM)blewbyu Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 11:47 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I agree with your starters. I think Green will redshirt. I think you'll seek Haynes as the backup PG. I think Porter and Kah will be the primary bigs off the bench. I'd bet on Kay as the primary chew toy, but Talley may challenge for the gig.

Not sure where you got your info but Haynes is in no way shape or form a point guard.

Pretty sure I've heard JJ say it.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - Monarchist13 - 10-26-2016 04:13 PM

(10-26-2016 03:36 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  I'm wonder what the plan is for Fields. I know he's far down the depth chart, but is he someone that can redshirt? Is he someone they can deveolpe or is he someone that is kind of what you see is what you get? Not that I'm expecting a lot of minutes (probably a lot of DNPs mostly), but what the staff see's as his potential. Or am I just thinking too much about a kid that probably isn't going to contribute much over the next couple of seasons?

At 5'9, 150, Fields could probably use a year in the weight room. A redshirt year could do wonders for him.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - mac - 10-26-2016 04:33 PM

Coach Jones loves Fields, said he is a winner and that he reminds him of ex UVA player Harold Deane, who was really good. Good enough for me!

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - T-Mac - 10-26-2016 04:46 PM

Jones definitely said Haynes would play some PG.

RE: One week out MBB vs VaState - CUSAmonarchman - 10-26-2016 05:44 PM

Harold Deane was tough as nails