CSNbbs
New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? (/thread-792885.html)

New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - gobaseline - 10-01-2016 11:27 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/white-house-wants-to-add-new-racial-category/ar-BBwQHIi?li=BBnbcA1&srcref=rss&ocid=iehrs

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - ESSSS - 10-01-2016 03:28 PM

They need to add "trans" (racial)

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Dirty Ernie - 10-02-2016 11:00 AM

Whats the point? Good question. Record keeping, classification, information, discrimination, I imagine some things along those lines. My wife gets to check Native American, although her DNA shows her origin in Asian Siberia before crossing the land bridge into Alaska, according to 23 and Me her people have been hanging in the Great Lakes basin for approx. 10,000 years so when Trump says lets make America great again it causes her some pain.

My own 23 and Me says I am a Neanderthal, originating in the Neander Valley of present day Germany 40,000 years ago. I had a high confidence rating on that, like 98 percentile I'm a Neanderthal almost 500 genetic markers for that. Neanderthals were thought to be a evolutionary dead end, but the DNA markers are still there.

I got a form from Bronson asking me to rate an emergency room visit and they had the race classifications on the form to check. I checked "other" and wrote in Neanderthal. i don't like being classified in a box-like manner.

So some government types probably want to be able to answer the question how many Middle Easterners in our country and there isn't a box to check so they have no data per se.

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Moomba - 10-02-2016 11:06 AM

Need solid metrics to make a case, anecdotal examples don't do it these days.

Y'all are just numbers. Bobseger was right.

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - ESSSS - 10-02-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:I got a form from Bronson asking me to rate an emergency room visit and they had the race classifications on the form to check. I checked "other" and wrote in Neanderthal. i don't like being classified in a box-like manner.

Nice :) !!!

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Moomba - 10-02-2016 01:10 PM

That makes you an outlier.

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Dirty Ernie - 10-02-2016 07:04 PM

(10-02-2016 01:10 PM)Moomba Wrote:  That makes you an outlier.

Got that one right!

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Moomba - 10-02-2016 08:28 PM

(10-02-2016 07:04 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 01:10 PM)Moomba Wrote:  That makes you an outlier.

Got that one right!

Well, THAT doesn't make you one. :)

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - Charm City Bronco - 10-03-2016 07:52 AM

(10-01-2016 11:27 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  [Image: 3o6Mb8CQRAABIGhqA8.gif]

RE: New Federal Government created racial categories. What's the point? - texasbronco1 - 10-03-2016 11:34 AM

In some industries like the one I work in, we have to note ethnicity and other demographic information for every prospect/applicant. The data is necessary to identify discrimination. If one company denies service to one particular category or another, it would ordinarily indicate that some unwarranted discrimination is occurring.
Most MENA applicants do not identify as "Asian" and this would address that lack.