CSNbbs
2017 baseball schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2017 baseball schedule (/thread-791671.html)

Pages: 1 2

2017 baseball schedule - sctvman - 09-20-2016 05:03 PM

Ole Miss announced their baseball schedule today, and UNCW is on it. Feb. 24-26 the Seahawks will be in Oxford.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/092016aac.html?utm_source=social%20media&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=BSB_092016_S

2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-30-2016 03:49 PM

Here's the full baseball schedule: http://uncwsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball&

Story: http://uncwsports.com/news/2016/9/29/exciting-schedule-on-tap-for-uncw-baseball-in-2017.aspx

The highlights:

* Series @ Ole Miss the 2nd weekend of the season (Feb 24-26)
* Host defending national champs Coastal on March 1; also face them in Conway on Mar 14
* 3-game series against Florida Gulf Coast at Brooks Field on Mar 3-5
* Host 2 games against Maryland Mar 21-22
* We have our usual 2 games against NC St, ECU, Campbell and High Point (1 home, 1 road each)
* Open the season with George Mason, VMI and App St. for the Hughest Bros. Challenge Feb 17-19

It's a very good, challenging schedule this season.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 09-30-2016 05:13 PM

(09-30-2016 03:49 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Here's the full baseball schedule: http://uncwsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball&

Story: http://uncwsports.com/news/2016/9/29/exciting-schedule-on-tap-for-uncw-baseball-in-2017.aspx

The highlights:

* Series @ Ole Miss the 2nd weekend of the season (Feb 24-26)
* Host defending national champs Coastal on March 1; also face them in Conway on Mar 14
* 3-game series against Florida Gulf Coast at Brooks Field on Mar 3-5; FGCU swept us last year in Fort Myers
* Host 2 games against Maryland Mar 21-22
* We have our usual 2 games against NC St, UNC, ECU, Campbell and High Point (1 home, 1 road each)
* Open the season with George Mason, VMI and App St. for the Hughest Bros. Challenge Feb 17-19

It's a very good, challenging schedule this season.
Nice schedule but UNC does not play here-only in Chapel Hill.

2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-30-2016 06:47 PM

Yep didn't notice that till after. They refused to play us here. Wusses.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - billthebighawksfan - 09-30-2016 11:48 PM

North Florida is the team that you were thinking about not Fla Gulf Coast. Never should have happened either but it did. Good thing the Hawks were that darn good to overcome a debacle like that!

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-02-2016 10:16 PM

(09-30-2016 11:48 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  North Florida is the team that you were thinking about not Fla Gulf Coast. Never should have happened either but it did. Good thing the Hawks were that darn good to overcome a debacle like that!

N Florida had a very good year last year and beat some good teams so losing to them was not a disgrace by any means. Maybe you should not get swept but they were good.
I also heard that UNCW could not make a date that worked of UNC-they did not dodge playing here. UNC baseball has played here many times and will again.

2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-02-2016 10:48 PM

I sincerely doubt UNC couldn't find a date to play us here. They're utilizing an easy cop out by saying they couldn't work us in.

It's more likely they're pissed we beat them last year at home. I also know they think they should have gotten in over us last year.

Whatever. Maybe they'll play us at Brooks next year, maybe they won't. Just beat them in Chapel Hill and force them to decide if they think it's worth playing us.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-03-2016 07:30 AM

(10-02-2016 10:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I sincerely doubt UNC couldn't find a date to play us here. They're utilizing an easy cop out by saying they couldn't work us in.

It's more likely they're pissed we beat them last year at home. I also know they think they should have gotten in over us last year.

Whatever. Maybe they'll play us at Brooks next year, maybe they won't. Just beat them in Chapel Hill and force them to decide if they think it's worth playing us.

I don't know this for sure but I was told that UNCW could not make it work on the schedule. UNC offered a something and I guess it was not available. They are not really a team that avoids playing good teams but just the opposite.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - bricksnivy - 10-03-2016 11:57 AM

(10-03-2016 07:30 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 10:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I sincerely doubt UNC couldn't find a date to play us here. They're utilizing an easy cop out by saying they couldn't work us in.

I don't know this for sure but I was told that UNCW could not make it work on the schedule. UNC offered a something and I guess it was not available. They are not really a team that avoids playing good teams but just the opposite.

I have no insight to the process, but this doesn't seem to be a baseball issue. UNC typically plays at UNCW and ECU. But, after missing the tournament two years running, they could be taking a more conservative approach. They only have two away mid-week games scheduled this year.

Go Cubs!

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - bricksnivy - 10-03-2016 12:01 PM

Carolina has Long Beach State on the schedule in March and the Ca governor recently banned schools from traveling to NC using state funds. I haven't heard if this has been officially discussed, but I assume Carolina will be looking for a few more games. LBS was a weekend series, so may not help get a game in Wilmington though.

Go Cubs!

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-03-2016 02:16 PM

Carolina should be very good this year but in the ACC you never know what can happen,it is so loaded with great talent from top to bottom. Either way I don't think it is a big deal unless they stop playing here all together. The game is the biggest deal at UNCW every year as far as attendance goes and everybody loves to beat them! They have a ton of talent coming in this year.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - SEA33HAWK - 10-03-2016 06:25 PM

Yeh, the game is only important to UNCW. That's why so many tarheel fans show up. We have started to win some of those games. Even when they were #1 in the nation. When they played here last year we were the better team and it showed.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-04-2016 07:39 AM

(10-03-2016 06:25 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Yeh, the game is only important to UNCW. That's why so many tarheel fans show up. We have started to win some of those games. Even when they were #1 in the nation. When they played here last year we were the better team and it showed.

That's right and they don't have to play UNCW at all and nobody would care except UNCW. So don't poke the bear about it and get them to play here next year. They are a top 10 program and will be going forward.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-04-2016 07:50 AM

(10-04-2016 07:39 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  That's right and they don't have to play UNCW at all and nobody would care except UNCW. So don't poke the bear about it and get them to play here next year. They are a top 10 program and will be going forward.

Wrong. They are not a top 10 program anymore. You can't go .500 or worse in ACC play for 3 straight years and be Top 10. Not a chance. They went 13-17 in ACC play last year; 13-16 in 2015; and 15-15 in 2014. That's nearly a full recruitment cycle without a winning record in ACC play, for a program that once went to back-to-back national title series. They've now missed the tournament entirely for 2 straight years.

UNC ought to care, considering that they need every win they can get against Regional-caliber competition to bolster their resume. Because they're clearly not a dominant ACC program anymore, and haven't been for several years. Out of conference play is going to mean just as much as getting back to strong ACC play in order to reach the Regionals on a regular basis again.

I mean....Duke got in over them last year. Duke. The same program we were beating so badly a decade ago that WE refused to continue playing them.

Your "small school mentality" that you bring to the table with basketball does not apply to baseball. We're very much at the table with the big boys these days. Stick to what you know.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - bricksnivy - 10-04-2016 08:55 AM

Answer is somewhere in the middle of Mullet and Nation. Carolina went to the WS as recently as 2013, so while the past three years have been rough, Carolina is still a top 30 program. I really, REALLY want to see UNCW take the next step and advance to a Super. I don't feel like we're at the table yet, but knocking on the door.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-04-2016 09:00 AM

(10-04-2016 08:55 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Answer is somewhere in the middle of Mullet and Nation. Carolina went to the WS as recently as 2013, so while the past three years have been rough, Carolina is still a top 30 program. I really, REALLY want to see UNCW take the next step and advance to a Super. I don't feel like we're at the table yet, but knocking on the door.

Top 30, sure. But not Top 10 like Mullet is saying. He's still acting like UNC is baseball royalty. They really aren't. Not on the level of the top SEC programs, Florida St., etc anyways. Their fans suck at supporting that team too when it comes to attendance and volume at games. Not that many people care about UNC baseball. Meanwhile you get programs like LSU and FSU drawing basketball crowds to baseball games. It's not even close.

More than once Mike Fox has complained about UNCW's tiny contingent making more noise than UNC fans at Boshamer Stadium. That tells you all you need to know right there.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-04-2016 12:05 PM

You don't judge an entire program on a 3 year span. There is not a coach in the country that would not agree with UNC being a top 10 program. They will be very good this year and for the future they are aligned to be a top program. They have all the trappings to stay on top year end and year out. They have coaching,history,facilities,fans, and most of a unlimited amount of money. They will remain to be a factor and to say they are anything but is just plain hating on them for being Carolina. I get it that you hate them for really no reason but stop being so thickheaded about something that is just plain true. If Mike Fox wants to complain,who cares as long as they keep playing UNCW.They draw a huge crowd here and it pays UNCW baseball for them to come here. There is no other team that plays here that comes close to the attendance at Carolina vs UNCW.
I have been to plenty of games at Carolina, they do have a strong fanbase and they are good,smart baseball fans. NOt on the level of LSU but most programs don't have that. UNCW could and should welcome anything they offer to do with the program here-it can only help in the long run.
I do think losing the ACC tournament to UL will hurt baseball a bit in the state overall with most of the hurt being felt on Tobacco Road. I also just sam that the D3 tournament has moved out of NC as well.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-04-2016 12:24 PM

It's not just the recent 3 years of failure for UNC. It's that the college baseball landscape has gotten more and more competitive as more kids are going to school rather than signing out of High School. Lot's of programs have established themselves as being on that elite level lately.

LSU, Florida, South Carolina, Florida St, Miami, Louisville, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Cal State Fullerton, Arkansas, TCU, Arizona....those are all programs that have won national titles or made it deep into Omaha consistently of late, and/or have a lengthy pedigree just as good or better than UNC's. That's 12 right there off the top of my head that are as good or better than UNC and haven't been playing lousy the last 3 years.

UNC is a lot more like Texas right now. Used to be awesome, now they're very beatable in both their conferences and on the national level. But sure, go on and argue that they're still top 10.

Your subjective reality is clearly the only accurate one, numbers be damned.

2017 baseball schedule - jumpinmullet - 10-04-2016 02:43 PM

Check any baseball publication and they all have UNC as a top 10 program and some as high as 3.
While it is a fact that the last two years have been less than great,they are still top 10 right now. It also benefits UNCW for them to stay at the top for RPI if nothing else. Just Google it-it's on every list as a top 10. I know you hate all NC teams except UNCW but most natives here do not see it like you. Not sure where you are from but I would guess-north of here.

RE: 2017 baseball schedule - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-04-2016 03:06 PM

lol. "Use google". What a joke. You're trying to put UNC over teams that have actually won national titles, some of them multiple titles, and recently at that. I don't give a sh*t what the google machine says. I care about hardware.