CSNbbs
Evanston - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: Evanston (/thread-789335.html)

Evanston - Dirty Ernie - 09-02-2016 09:18 PM

Checked in at a cool old hotel named The Homestead on Hinman St.

Damn this is a beautiful neighborhood. We walked around in a little downtown area with a few restaurants, picked a likely looking place called the Farmhouse. Just your average overpriced trendy local food. My local diner has a $8.45 blue plate sirloin that is better than this gristly $39 rib eye they sold me. Ah well. And some kind of wilted lettuce and 3 fingerling potatoes. And a couple not rehydrated mushrooms.

Tomorrow we walk 4 blocks to the Metra station and take a short ride to the stadium area north of campus. Never been to an 11 a.m. Start game before. Hope the guys are awake for the kick.

Forgot to mention the 2 1/2 hour traffic jam on the Dan Ryan.

RE: Evanston - Nacho - 09-02-2016 09:22 PM

I have a friend who grew up 1/2 mile away from the stadium. Great little area but expensive as hell.

RE: Evanston - Charm City Bronco - 09-03-2016 09:38 AM

The North Side and North Shore are expensive areas: Film at 11.

RE: Evanston - Dirty Ernie - 09-03-2016 09:30 PM

I worked in Evanston back in 1970!

I had the impression from GBL that Chicago and Illinois were on the ropes. Not here. Money is dripping off the limestone and slate and 300 year old professionally maintained oak trees. Thousands of well heeled kids running around.

Evanston is college town to the max at a far different level than Kalamazoo. No comparison. You gotta love it. Glad to know the old money is alive and well.

RE: Evanston - Hiller4Hyz09 - 09-04-2016 12:22 PM

(09-03-2016 09:30 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  I worked in Evanston back in 1970!

I had the impression from GBL that Chicago and Illinois were on the ropes. Not here. Money is dripping off the limestone and slate and 300 year old professionally maintained oak trees. Thousands of well heeled kids running around.

Evanston is college town to the max at a far different level than Kalamazoo. No comparison. You gotta love it. Glad to know the old money is alive and well.

Yeah, good for them. :)

It was a beautiful walk down to the stadium.

RE: Evanston - Charm City Bronco - 09-04-2016 12:39 PM

(09-03-2016 09:30 PM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  Evanston is college town to the max at a far different level than Kalamazoo. No comparison.

You're right. Evanston is not a "college" town like Kzoo where the univ is basically the only game in town. Chicago is not dependent on NW like Kzoo is. Chicago would survive if NW wasn't in Evanston. Evanston would survive if NW left Evanston. And PS--no one hangs out in Evanston.

The end.