CSNbbs
Baseball holds the key - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: Baseball holds the key (/thread-787788.html)

Pages: 1 2

Baseball holds the key - XLance - 08-19-2016 05:13 PM

MLB covers 30 markets in the USA. The American and National leagues are broken down into East, Central, and West.
Did you ever notice which markets were in the west?

National:
LA, San Fran, Colorado, San Diego, and Arizona (all PAC markets)

American:
Texas, Seattle, Houston, Oakland, LA (PAC and Big 12 markets)

In another thread, JR thinks Texas is going to the PAC......makes sense right?
Does Oklahoma follow Texas west or are they smart enough to head to the SEC?

RE: Baseball holds the key - vandiver49 - 08-19-2016 06:06 PM

(08-19-2016 05:13 PM)XLance Wrote:  MLB covers 30 markets in the USA. The American and National leagues are broken down into East, Central, and West.

National:

American:

IMO, the idea solution would be for the B12 to remain together. Academic perception is the only reason the B1G and the PAC are in the conversation. Athletically, the Longhorns and Sooners don't want to head west and reduce their visibility east of the Mississippi River. And I think the experience the Huskers are enduring in the B1G has proven instructive.

Besides, only the B12 give Texas and OU the one thing they truly covet: power.

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-19-2016 07:18 PM

(08-19-2016 06:06 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 05:13 PM)XLance Wrote:  MLB covers 30 markets in the USA. The American and National leagues are broken down into East, Central, and West.

National:

American:

IMO, the idea solution would be for the B12 to remain together. Academic perception is the only reason the B1G and the PAC are in the conversation. Athletically, the Longhorns and Sooners don't want to head west and reduce their visibility east of the Mississippi River. And I think the experience the Huskers are enduring in the B1G has proven instructive.

Besides, only the B12 give Texas and OU the one thing they truly covet: power.

Ah!.....but with the Sith there are always two, the master and the apprentice. In this case we do know which one is which. Darth Bovine is the Master and Darth Schooner the apprentice. Pity the rest of the Clone conference!

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-19-2016 09:58 PM

Seriously XLance my reasoning on Texas eventually heading to the PAC goes something like this.

Texas wants a fiefdom. They won't be able to maintain a suitable one.

Oklahoma won't commit program suicide. They don't head to the PAC for several reasons. One the PAC probably won't take O.S.U. Two ESPN will want a content multiplier in the SEC and OU is the best possible get.

Texas won't head to the ACC because they will do whatever it takes now to make ESPN compromise and going to the ACC isn't it. They will head to the PAC and force ESPN to make it possible. Their ego will demand it. They will then declare that they have made the superior academic decision. Texas Tech will likely go with them possibly with T.C.U. but not Baylor. Who knows who #4 will be. (Rice or Houston?)

The Big 10 might take Kansas, or they might sit it out. If they sit it out things will get dicey for the SEC's desire for OU because with Kansas available they will balk at OSU. Will ESPN find enough homes at that point for 8 Big 12 schools? Would the ACC relent on WVU? Where does Kansas State go? Iowa State?

Would the SEC take OU, KU, OSU, and ISU if the Big 10 sits it out? Would the threat of the SEC in Iowa with reach for broadcasts into Chicago be enough to make the Big 10 take KU and ISU to keep the SEC off of their front porch?

A Texas move to the PAC will throw everything into chaos. That's exactly the kind of mayhem Texas will demand. The Prima Donna drama queen will feast on having what they do cause so much distress. I think that makes the move irresistible to them.

The best outcome would be an SEC threat to take Kansas and Iowa State with OU and OSU followed by a defensive Big 10 taking the Jayhawks and Cyclones. Then should the ACC take Baylor or West Virginia it's done.

If the Big 10 calls the SEC's threat, do we go ahead with the plan? It is 6 million people in 2 new markets and two more AAU schools? We'll see, but it ought to put every realignment thread in the country back in high gear.

RE: Baseball holds the key - USAFMEDIC - 08-19-2016 10:28 PM

(08-19-2016 09:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Seriously XLance my reasoning on Texas eventually heading to the PAC goes something like this.

Oklahoma won't commit program suicide. They don't head to the PAC for several reasons. One the PAC probably won't take O.S.U. Two ESPN will want a content multiplier in the SEC and OU is the best possible get.

Texas won't head to the ACC because they will do whatever it takes now to make ESPN compromise and going to the ACC isn't it. They will head to the PAC and force ESPN to make it possible. Their ego will demand it. They will then declare that they have made the superior academic decision. Texas Tech will likely go with them possibly with T.C.U. but not Baylor. Who knows who #4 will be. (Rice or Houston?)

The Big 10 might take Kansas, or they might sit it out. If they sit it out things will get dicey for the SEC's desire for OU because with Kansas available they will balk at OSU. Will ESPN find enough homes at that point for 8 Big 12 schools? Would the ACC relent on WVU? Where does Kansas State go? Iowa State?

Would the SEC take OU, KU, OSU, and ISU if the Big 10 sits it out? Would the threat of the SEC in Iowa with reach for broadcasts into Chicago be enough to make the Big 10 take KU and ISU to keep the SEC off of their front porch?

A Texas move to the PAC will throw everything into chaos. That's exactly the kind of mayhem Texas will demand. The Prima Donna drama queen will feast on having what they do cause so much distress. I think that makes the move irresistible to them.

The best outcome would be an SEC threat to take Kansas and Iowa State with OU and OSU followed by a defensive Big 10 taking the Jayhawks and Cyclones. Then should the ACC take Baylor or West Virginia it's done.

If the Big 10 calls the SEC's threat, do we go ahead with the plan? It is 6 million people in 2 new markets and two more AAU schools? We'll see, but it ought to put every realignment thread in the country back in high gear.

I am pretty sure the B1G would not like an SEC move like this, and it would create three new markets for the SEC. Imagine OU football and Kansas BB all in the SEC. That's a money maker.

RE: Baseball holds the key - vandiver49 - 08-20-2016 05:09 AM

(08-19-2016 10:28 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 09:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Seriously XLance my reasoning on Texas eventually heading to the PAC goes something like this.

I am pretty sure the B1G would not like an SEC move like this, and it would create three new markets for the SEC. Imagine OU football and Kansas BB all in the SEC. That's a money maker.

Most times when I see ISU to the SEC and think NFW. But then I go look at electoral maps and reconsider the possibility.

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-20-2016 09:11 AM

(08-20-2016 05:09 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Most times when I see ISU to the SEC and think NFW. But then I go look at electoral maps and reconsider the possibility.

Exactly. They only have a little over 3 million people but they sit a some very interesting crossroads.

RE: Baseball holds the key - CyclonePower - 08-20-2016 12:08 PM

(08-20-2016 09:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Exactly. They only have a little over 3 million people but they sit a some very interesting crossroads.
Guys stop getting my hopes up for a SEC invite! Unlike most states up north Iowa is very much a college state first. I think an SEC invite would help Iowa State thrive and the hate between Iowa and state would grow because of the SEC vs B10.

Des Moines and the suburbs are growing like fast and Iowa State alumni stay in the state so while our media market may not be the largest I wouldn't be surprised seeing a lot of Iowa state and SEC pride. It would hurt the big ten and maybe even cut off Nebraska.

RE: Baseball holds the key - USAFMEDIC - 08-20-2016 12:37 PM

(08-20-2016 12:08 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  

Guys stop getting my hopes up for a SEC invite! Unlike most states up north Iowa is very much a college state first. I think an SEC invite would help Iowa State thrive and the hate between Iowa and state would grow because of the SEC vs B10.

Des Moines and the suburbs are growing like fast and Iowa State alumni stay in the state so while our media market may not be the largest I wouldn't be surprised seeing a lot of Iowa state and SEC pride. It would hurt the big ten and maybe even cut off Nebraska.
I know where you are coming from CP. I held my breath waiting for the SEC to call Missouri. One of the happiest days of my life. I retired from the Air Force at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS, so I have lived in the heart of the SEC for 28 years now. I knew what the SEC was all about and it is a special place. It is a 7 day a week deal down here.04-cheers

RE: Baseball holds the key - hawghiggs - 08-20-2016 01:25 PM

I would love for the SEC to expand with Iowa state.

RE: Baseball holds the key - CyclonePower - 08-20-2016 01:55 PM

(08-20-2016 12:37 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(08-19-2016 10:28 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I am pretty sure the B1G would not like an SEC move like this, and it would create three new markets for the SEC. Imagine OU football and Kansas BB all in the SEC. That's a money maker.

I know where you are coming from CP. I held my breath waiting for the SEC to call Missouri. One of the happiest days of my life. I retired from the Air Force at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS, so I have lived in the heart of the SEC for 28 years now. I knew what the SEC was all about and it is a special place. It is a 7 day a week deal down here.04-cheers

I know you don't like the Jayhawks, but if we could come over with them with us I think we could set up a great triangle of hate for each other. The KC metro all the way up to Des Moines would be dominated with SEC talk. Plus I miss our games a lot. I would love to see the many great stadiums in the SEC even though Iowa State would be lucky to walk out of any of them with a win. We will have to try to get our revenge in basketball.

I also would like to thank you for your service and if down the line we are every conference mates again. I'd be happy to buy you a beer in Ames. 04-cheers

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-20-2016 02:20 PM

(08-20-2016 01:55 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 05:09 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  Most times when I see ISU to the SEC and think NFW. But then I go look at electoral maps and reconsider the possibility.

I know you don't like the Jayhawks, but if we could come over with them with us I think we could set up a great triangle of hate for each other. The KC metro all the way up to Des Moines would be dominated with SEC talk. Plus I miss our games a lot. I would love to see the many great stadiums in the SEC even though Iowa State would be lucky to walk out of any of them with a win. We will have to try to get our revenge in basketball.

I also would like to thank you for your service and if down the line we are every conference mates again. I'd be happy to buy you a beer in Ames. 04-cheers

I do believe the basic idea is to get to 16. But if people would just stop and think about the geographical advantages to 6 team divisions then 18 would make so much more sense. With 5 divisional games it's much more of a definitive champion than what some suggest as 3 with 16 schools. The groupings are much more meaningful. And in the case of Old Big 8 and Big 12 members whether you are traditionally considered Southern becomes less relevant if you form a division of former rivals and old conference members.

When I consider a division of: Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State what I see is the coming together of a good % of the best schools of the Old Big 8 with a smidgen of SWC with the Hogs. The interest in the area in the sports of these schools would only burgeon with this kind of placement.

When you also consider that the SEC would have difficulty translating their passion into the Mid Atlantic Coast toward New England, but could easily adapt the passion and loyalty of the upper Midwest where passion is naturally part of the makeup of the people then I question whether markets are everything we truly want in branding.

Yes they are nice, but an equal passion for sports will burn a lot brighter a lot longer than faithful fans leaving unfamiliar venues where the reception to their own school was almost as tepid as the home fans responses to their own.

The move of taking the four mentioned above would leave Texas and friends free to go either to the ACC, or PAC, but would probably limit their options to head North. That in some ways would be the ultimate revenge on both the Big 10 and Texas.

RE: Baseball holds the key - USAFMEDIC - 08-20-2016 03:04 PM

(08-20-2016 02:20 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 09:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Exactly. They only have a little over 3 million people but they sit a some very interesting crossroads.

I do believe the basic idea is to get to 16. But if people would just stop and think about the geographical advantages to 6 team divisions then 18 would make so much more sense. With 5 divisional games it's much more of a definitive champion than what some suggest as 3 with 16 schools. The groupings are much more meaningful. And in the case of Old Big 8 and Big 12 members whether you are traditionally considered Southern becomes less relevant if you form a division of former rivals and old conference members.

When I consider a division of: Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State what I see is the coming together of a good % of the best schools of the Old Big 8 with a smidgen of SWC with the Hogs. The interest in the area in the sports of these schools would only burgeon with this kind of placement.

When you also consider that the SEC would have difficulty translating their passion into the Mid Atlantic Coast toward New England, but could easily adapt the passion and loyalty of the upper Midwest where passion is naturally part of the makeup of the people then I question whether markets are everything we truly want in branding.

Yes they are nice, but an equal passion for sports will burn a lot brighter a lot longer than faithful fans leaving unfamiliar venues where the reception to their own school was almost as tepid as the home fans responses to their own.

The move of taking the four mentioned above would leave Texas and friends free to go either to the ACC, or PAC, but would probably limit their options to head North. That in some ways would be the ultimate revenge on both the Big 10 and Texas.
Exactly. 04-cheers

RE: Baseball holds the key - tcufrog86 - 08-20-2016 03:28 PM

Outside of the Deep South/Texas I'd say the Midwest has the most passionate college sports fans...thus not really that surprising that the SEC and Big 10 are the most lucrative conferences. Iowa State absolutely has that passion win or lose that aligns with the SEC. I feel as you get towards west coast and mid-Atlantic/NE that the fans are more fickle.

Major difference with college sports in the south and some of the Midwest markets (especially those west of the Great Lakes region) is that major pro franchises are a more recent addition to many of the markets. Thus the people have identified with the colleges whether or not they are alums.

Baseball holds the key - vandiver49 - 08-20-2016 07:21 PM

(08-20-2016 09:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Exactly. They only have a little over 3 million people but they sit a some very interesting crossroads.

Can that plan work without OU? It has potential but I'm someone who likes contingencies.

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-20-2016 07:48 PM

(08-20-2016 07:21 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 12:08 PM)CyclonePower Wrote:  Guys stop getting my hopes up for a SEC invite! Unlike most states up north Iowa is very much a college state first. I think an SEC invite would help Iowa State thrive and the hate between Iowa and state would grow because of the SEC vs B10.

Can that plan work without OU? It has potential but I'm someone who likes contingencies.

It would certainly call for some divisional shuffling to balance it and you would have to eliminate Okie State:
Arkansas, Louisiana State, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Texas A&M

Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, T.C.U., Vanderbilt

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia

Certainly not ideal, but not bad as divisions. It would enable A&M and L.S.U. and Arky to duke it out most years with Missouri getting in the mix from time to time. It wouldn't be overwhelming for I.S.U. and Kansas provides that division the role of a Vanderbilt or Kentucky to keep a bit more balance.

Play 5 in your division rotate two from the other two divisions and play 1 permanent rival for 10 conference games.

Of course in a P4 I'm assuming at some point we move to all P4 games so 10 in a conference of 18 members is pretty darned good.

And Vandiver, you can call this the Texahoma to the PAC contingency. (OU, OSU, Texas, & Texas Tech to the PAC) (I.S.U., Kansas, T.C.U. & W.V.U. to the SEC)

I know this is not going to meet with acclaim but when you stop to look at what you get 2 AAU schools, a second Texas school in DFW, and a little bit of beltway exposure, eh, without Texas or Oklahoma it's probably as good as you can do without raiding the ACC, which will not be happening. If the Big 10 gives in and takes I.S.U. and KU we still get DFW and another football brand for the East.

Truly it is a fall back position.

At 16 we might look like this:
Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia
Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi State
Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt
Louisiana State, Missouri, T.C.U., Texas A&M

RE: Baseball holds the key - AllTideUp - 08-21-2016 02:48 AM

Someone has to say it, it might as well be me...

What are the odds of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Iowa State being the move we make?

I know 20 is a lot, but I could see ESPN paying for it to 1) make sure Texas is fully in the fold, 2) completely cut off the B1G, and 3) keep from creating a 3rd league that demands huge money which would occur if the PAC were to get UT and OU.

West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State

Central: Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU

South: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

East: Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky

Play your 4 division mates, 1 permanent rival from each of the other 3, 1 rotating rival from each of the other 3. That's 10 games and you'd play everyone at least once every 4 years.

I think that's hard to beat.

I could see the ACC taking maybe UConn and West Virginia with eyes on another if Notre Dame ever decides to join up.

RE: Baseball holds the key - JRsec - 08-21-2016 09:12 AM

(08-21-2016 02:48 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Someone has to say it, it might as well be me...

What are the odds of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Iowa State being the move we make?

I know 20 is a lot, but I could see ESPN paying for it to 1) make sure Texas is fully in the fold, 2) completely cut off the B1G, and 3) keep from creating a 3rd league that demands huge money which would occur if the PAC were to get UT and OU.

Play your 4 division mates, 1 permanent rival from each of the other 3, 1 rotating rival from each of the other 3. That's 10 games and you'd play everyone at least once every 4 years.

I could see the ACC taking maybe UConn and West Virginia with eyes on another if Notre Dame ever decides to join up.

That would work quite nicely. I'm just not sure that anyone will jump to 20 without hitting 16 or 18 first. And I think the biggest obstacle to it would be the networks wanting to carve up Texas to help the marketing of multiple conferences with what could be a new crossroads state, especially for marketing purposes. Tie three conferences into Texas and you tap that 26 million many more times than if just one conference has access to that state.

RE: Baseball holds the key - USAFMEDIC - 08-21-2016 11:29 AM

(08-21-2016 09:12 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 02:48 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Someone has to say it, it might as well be me...

That would work quite nicely. I'm just not sure that anyone will jump to 20 without hitting 16 or 18 first. And I think the biggest obstacle to it would be the networks wanting to carve up Texas to help the marketing of multiple conferences with what could be a new crossroads state, especially for marketing purposes. Tie three conferences into Texas and you tap that 26 million many more times than if just one conference has access to that state.
That creates a problem with the Alabama-Tennessee game. Alabama would have to choose either Tennessee or Auburn for a permanent rival. There may be a way to tweak this proposal. Any ideas?

RE: Baseball holds the key - AllTideUp - 08-21-2016 03:26 PM

(08-21-2016 11:29 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 09:12 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

That creates a problem with the Alabama-Tennessee game. Alabama would have to choose either Tennessee or Auburn for a permanent rival. There may be a way to tweak this proposal. Any ideas?

Actually, in that setup Bama would play both. Bama and Tennessee are slated for the same division in the South while Auburn would be our permanent rival from the East.