CSNbbs
Future MBB Schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Future MBB Schedule (/thread-784309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Purplehazed - 08-18-2016 11:36 AM

(08-18-2016 11:29 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 11:22 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(08-14-2016 12:26 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Okay, they scheduled three road loss payday games. How does that benefit them?

Fan interest? Mercer expects to win and progress as a program?

What should Mercer have done? Schedule the weakest teams in the state and then lauded that the Mercer basketball program has the highest winning percentage in GA?

Geez dude.....you should really get a job in the JMU Athletic Department and take over scheduling for all the athletic programs. JMU does exactly what everyone had been b***tching about and got ODU/Richmond/GMU back on the schedule. Still working on VCU for the future. They in the recent past played UVA in a 2 for 1 deal. By the way those 3 games really were great for the program and showed yeah you can't play with those guys. It did pack the convo though and those games were over in about 10 minutes each. This is the first season I can recall in recent memory without a P5 opponent, SO WHAT! Were you planning to go see them play against Syracuse or Michigan?

You are bitching up the wrong tree. I was asking another poster why he questioned Mercer's interesting and fan engaging basketball schedule referring to great games as known losses. Yes, I took an indirect shot at Bourne's scheduling philosophy but let's face it, what I said is true and it was a legit question based on the context of the posters comment.

I am vocal but I not the devil.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - ShadyP - 08-18-2016 11:44 AM

(08-18-2016 11:36 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(08-14-2016 12:26 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Okay, they scheduled three road loss payday games. How does that benefit them?

What should Mercer have done? Schedule the weakest teams in the state and then lauded that the Mercer basketball program has the highest winning percentage in GA?

Geez dude.....you should really get a job in the JMU Athletic Department and take over scheduling for all the athletic programs. JMU does exactly what everyone had been b***tching about and got ODU/Richmond/GMU back on the schedule. Still working on VCU for the future. They in the recent past played UVA in a 2 for 1 deal. By the way those 3 games really were great for the program and showed yeah you can't play with those guys. It did pack the convo though and those games were over in about 10 minutes each. This is the first season I can recall in recent memory without a P5 opponent, SO WHAT! Were you planning to go see them play against Syracuse or Michigan?

You are bitching up the wrong tree. I was asking another poster why he questioned Mercer's interesting and fan engaging basketball schedule referring to great games as known losses. Yes, I took an indirect shot at Bourne's scheduling philosophy but let's face it, what I said is true and it was a legit question based on the context of the posters comment.

It is well known (at least I think it is) that with the exception of football, each program is responsible for their own out of conference scheduling.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - BleedingPurple - 08-18-2016 12:16 PM

(08-18-2016 11:44 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 11:36 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

It is well known (at least I think it is) that with the exception of football, each program is responsible for their own out of conference scheduling.

This is true. I'm sure he could influence them in a direction but all schedules outside of FB do their own thing. I have read that many times an AD will get involved and use MBB as a catch to get a game with a football team. A SMU poster mentioned theirs does this frequently. My understanding is that UMass and UConn does this as well.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Wear Purple - 08-18-2016 12:27 PM

(08-18-2016 11:44 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  It is well known (at least I think it is) that with the exception of football, each program is responsible for their own out of conference scheduling.

With the final approval by the AD (or an Associate AD overseeing that particular sport) correct? At one ACC and one SEC institution I have in-depth knowledge of how their AA's operate, the AD has the final say on all schedules and the AD him/herself are very involved in the scheduling of MBB. I am pretty sure that is the way JMU does it too and you aren't necessarily suggesting otherwise. Just want to clarify/confirm.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-20-2016 12:12 AM

(08-11-2016 01:44 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 11:44 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  countdown ongoing....additions from list i saw added

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews

College Basketball 2016-17 Men's Basketball Top 144 -1 / Teams predicted rank in Conference

UPDATED 7/22/2016

#100 Charleston
#105 William & Mary
#107 Louisiana

#112 Richmond Men's Basketball #7 Atlantic 10
#113 Florida Gulf Coast Men's Basketball Rank: #1 Atlantic Sun
#114 Sam Houston State Men's Basketball #1 Southland
#115 Tulsa Men's Basketball 2016-2017 #5 American
#116 UNC Asheville Men's Basketball #1 Big South
#117 Stanford Men's Basketball #11 Pac-12
#118 Boise State Men's Basketball #6 Mountain West
#119 Lehigh Men's Basketball #1 Patriot
#120 Stony Brook Men's Basketball #2 America East
#121 Northwestern State Men's Basketball #2 Southland
#122 LSU Men's Basketball #11 SEC
#123 Arkansas-Little Rock Men's Basketball #3 Sun Belt
#124 Pepperdine Men's Basketball #4 West Coast
#125 Hofstra Men's Basketball #5 CAA
#126 Kent State Men's Basketball #4 Mid-American
#127 Temple Men's Basketball #6 American
#128 Stephen F. Austin Men's Basketball #3 Southland
#129 Wagner Men's Basketball #1 NEC
#130 Marshall Men's Basketball #4 Conference USA
#131 North Dakota Men's Basketball #2 Big Sky
#132 Penn State Men's Basketball #11 Big Ten
#133 Green Bay Men's Basketball #2 Horizon
#134 Fordham Men's Basketball #8 Atlantic 10
#135 Texas Southern Men's Basketball #1 SWAC
#136 Morehead State Men's Basketball #2 Ohio Valley
#137 Yale Men's Basketball #3 Ivy League
#138 East Tennessee State Men's Basketball #2 SoCon
#139 Rice Men's Basketball #5 Conference USA
#140 Indiana State Men's Basketball #5 Missouri Valley
#141 Howard Men's Basketball #1 MEAC
#142 Toledo Men's Basketball #5 MAC
#143 Cal State Northridge Men's Basketball #4 Big West
#144 Illinois Men's Basketball #12 Big Ten

So JMU will be ranked inside of the top 100 and at least #2 in the CAA going into the season? That's a positive thing.

On second thought I wouldn't be surprised if JMU was outside the top 144 that they ranked rather than inside the top 80. Last year I think JMU was in the 120s. Sure they have a ton of returning Seniors but no returning all league players, lose an all league player, new/unproven head coach, newcomers who are under the radar Jucos.

I hate to beat a dead horse but it's why scheduling in the OOC matters- the JMU MBB program is pretty much anonymous at this point nationally- they need some big wins and media coverage to get people's attention. Even a good OOC with wins against ODU, Richmond, and Mason probably won't get much attention. They'll have to win the CAA Tourney and a game in the NCAAs (non play in variety) to get back on the map.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - nyduke - 08-20-2016 07:53 AM

Yeah, after watching this list for awhile now, I doubt they are in top 144

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - 2Buck - 08-20-2016 10:55 AM

(08-20-2016 07:53 AM)nyduke Wrote:  Yeah, after watching this list for awhile now, I doubt they are in top 144

There are 2 CAA teams left. Assuming one is UNCW that leaves most likely candidates Northeastern, Towson, and JMU. Northeastern had a win against a ranked Miami, played NC State close, and "only" lost by 20 to #1 Michigan at home. Depending on who they're returning they could be #2 in CAA (would validate the need to schedule top programs to build the perception of a successful program, can't win those big games if you never schedule them).

Not sure who Towson is returning but they've had some recruiting success and competed well last year. Any way you slice it we have our work cut out for us this year. Go Dukes!

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Dukes84 - 08-20-2016 03:10 PM

I think JMU should be in those top two. NE lost Quincy Ford and David Walker; and Towson lost their starting point guard to a transfer, which was not expected. We'll see, of course.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Dukes2Space - 08-20-2016 03:29 PM

(08-18-2016 12:27 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(08-18-2016 11:44 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  It is well known (at least I think it is) that with the exception of football, each program is responsible for their own out of conference scheduling.

With the final approval by the AD (or an Associate AD overseeing that particular sport) correct? At one ACC and one SEC institution I have in-depth knowledge of how their AA's operate, the AD has the final say on all schedules and the AD him/herself are very involved in the scheduling of MBB. I am pretty sure that is the way JMU does it too and you aren't necessarily suggesting otherwise. Just want to clarify/confirm.

Yeah I don't think it's like Lou Rowe just schedules a game with UCLA without Jeff Bourne knowing about it. The way I would imagine it goes is the coaches talk, come to a preliminary agreement, and then the ADs work out the logistics.

My opinion on OOC scheduling is take as many big pay games as you can get. Who cares if you lose? The bottom line is the CAA is a one bid league so unless you have a huge hankering for the NIT or one of the other lower tournaments, OOC games don't matter. Hell, in conference games don't really matter. The only thing that matters is how you play in the conference tournament. Yeah it affects seeding but basically the regular season is a big exhibition.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - nyduke - 08-20-2016 07:34 PM

With Harvard at #85 I cant see us above them, but you never know..........besides it only matters where we are at the end.

Go Dukes

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - JMUNation - 08-20-2016 09:03 PM

The regular season champion goes to the NIT. While not the NCAA, it still is a big deal at least I feel it is. This makes the conference games important. Playing some tougher games to get ready for regular season play does make sense.

I still like this schedule. There are many games of interest for me.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - lexduke398 - 08-21-2016 09:58 AM

Before you can get national interest you have to get local and fan interest. I think a lot of fans would rather see us play Old Dominion and George Mason Than Stanford and Oregon.

Maybe I am wrong.

You don't want to crush yourself in the Non-Conference, you want to build confidence, but not play a bunch of patsy who don't challenge and make you better.

This schedule really is not to bad. Lou needs to have a nice season, get some footing in the ground then worry about scheduling Kentucky and Michigan.

Lets not forget this is Lou's first season as a head coach, so he also may have some growing pains, why handicap yourself with playing a bunch of powerhouses and starting the season 4-8 with 3 injuries and 40,000 Air Miles...

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - bcp_jmu - 08-21-2016 10:18 AM

Because you get better and learn more when you play powerhouses....

I was there during lefty scheduling...we lost most of those big name games (barely a few times) but its way more exciting for everyone

But yeah, like it was said above...its Lous first year - i bet we see a much tougher schedule next year

Sent from my SM-G920T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - olddawg - 08-21-2016 11:31 AM

(08-21-2016 10:18 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Because you get better and learn more when you play powerhouses....

I was there during lefty scheduling...we lost most of those big name games (barely a few times) but its way more exciting for everyone

But yeah, like it was said above...its Lous first year - i bet we see a much tougher schedule next year

Lefty's first year at JMU, he had a pretty tame OOC. I only recall VT as a team of note. But it ramped up quick when he had his horses available the next year.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - lexduke398 - 08-21-2016 01:59 PM

(08-21-2016 11:31 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 10:18 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Because you get better and learn more when you play powerhouses....

Lefty's first year at JMU, he had a pretty tame OOC. I only recall VT as a team of note. But it ramped up quick when he had his horses available the next year.

Exactly, get your footing before you play the powers.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-21-2016 08:58 PM

(08-21-2016 01:59 PM)lexduke398 Wrote:  
(08-21-2016 11:31 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

Exactly, get your footing before you play the powers.

Just curious- did Lefty do the scheduling or did he delegate it to Chuck or Bart Bellairs or another assistant? I think it's odd that with JMU MBB that it's delegated to first O'Driscoll and now Deane. Maybe I'm wrong and this is done in other places (other mid majors) and I'm sure Rowe is involved at some level but I'm surprised that the head coach isn't more involved. It's as if they don't think the OOC is that important. Lefty played games against UNLV and others where he clearly had connections to the head coach. I can think of 3 off the top of my head where I'd like to see Lou Rowe use connections to get buy games or maybe even 1 for 1s.

Nevada- Lou played for coach Musselman in the USBL I believe after college.

Oklahoma- I believe Lou Rowe was Coach Kruger's first recruit at Florida. He thought enough of Lou to broker him transferring to JMU. Plus Oklahoma kind of owes JMU for their recruit Jordan Shepherd who originally was going to JMU only to de-commit when Brady was fired.

Cal- Lou Rowe used to play against Cuonzo Martin in college. Although maybe Martin would be hesitant to come play at the Convo since JMU beat Purdue when they played. But I would think a buy game would be easy.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-21-2016 09:05 PM

(08-20-2016 03:10 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  I think JMU should be in those top two. NE lost Quincy Ford and David Walker; and Towson lost their starting point guard to a transfer, which was not expected. We'll see, of course.

I think it will be Towson. They have 2 all league players returning (Moto and Morsell) and generally speaking they are overrated by the media. That said the 80s is pretty high for them.

I think Towson must have good PR people or something because they've never really accomplished anything of note. Skerry's post season record is worse than Brady's was at JMU. Also I'm not a big fan of their ugly style of play but if there are 2 CAA teams left and we know one is UNCW I bet that the other is Towson and the media thinks JMU will finish 6th. Maybe the coaches will think differently in the pre season polling. Oh well- all the more reason for the Northern JMU Alum (and Southern) to travel to Towson on a weekend in February to see the Dukes crush them.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Dukes84 - 08-22-2016 09:41 AM

Byron Hawkins is the guy that transferred out for Towson....to Murray State. They picked up a pretty good JUCO point guard to replace him....believe his last name is Starr. I say it's JMU because of the Kenpom rating for last year, which was about 60 slots higher than Towson's -- 87 for JMU to 149 for Towson. UNCW was at 73. We'll see, of course.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Dukes84 - 08-22-2016 09:58 AM

Towson also lost Parker-Rivera, a key interior player for them. They do also pick up a transfer from Cincy that was fairly highly regarded coming out of high school. Believe his last name is Morman. So they will be a tough team with the two new additions, Moto and Morsell.

97, it's too early for hoops! We can worry about this in mid November, although we'll have our answer fairly soon.04-cheers

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - UofRfan - 08-22-2016 03:33 PM

I agree that it will be Towson. I am surprised Hofstra is picked ahead of JMU though. But I didn't dig too hard as to their new players - but their losses are pretty strong. Do have an all CAA guy in Gustys and Bernardi to start with.