CSNbbs
Future MBB Schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Future MBB Schedule (/thread-784309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Hart Foundation - 08-09-2016 12:36 PM

I don't think post season selection committees will agree unless several of these teams have much better than expected seasons.

The stock line will be... who have they played? Top 100, Top 50 etc. There are too many fish in the sea to not play some powerhouse programs.

This may be the only time ever JMU will have a team with 7 seniors.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - JMUNation - 08-09-2016 12:44 PM

Maybe so but still, it is a good schedule for fans. Lots of teams we want to see and plenty of home games as well along with games in areas we have alums.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Duke Dawg - 08-09-2016 12:45 PM

(08-09-2016 12:36 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I don't think post season selection committees will agree unless several of these teams have much better than expected seasons.

The stock line will be... who have they played? Top 100, Top 50 etc. There are too many fish in the sea to not play some powerhouse programs.

This may be the only time ever JMU will have a team with 7 seniors.

what postseason committees? we aren't getting an at large to the NCAA's regardless.

and who cares about the rest of the tourneys anyway.

MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Hart Foundation - 08-09-2016 01:53 PM

Even if you feel there is no chance for an at large before the season has started, there is no excuse for not challenging a veteran team against the best.

If nothing else, it sheds light on some weaknesses that need improvement before the all important conference tournament and postseason.

Also, I'm not ready to dismiss the team's chances for a great season without seeing Johnson and Holmes on the court first. We know how many seniors are returning. We have a very good idea that Snowden will have a big impact as he has already produced in D1 basketball.
Can Johnson and Holmes replace Curry? TBD, and that determines if the team elevates to the next level after winning 40 games over the past 2 years.

If you can't challenge a senior stocked squad, who can you challenge?

Opportunity lost.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Duke Dawg - 08-09-2016 02:02 PM

(08-09-2016 01:53 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Even if you feel there is no chance for an at large before the season has started, there is no excuse for not challenging a veteran team against the best.

If nothing else, it sheds light on some weaknesses that need improvement before the all important conference tournament and postseason.

Also, I'm not ready to dismiss the team's chances for a great season without seeing Johnson and Holmes on the court first. We know how many seniors are returning. We have a very good idea that Snowden will have a big impact as he has already produced in D1 basketball.
Can Johnson and Holmes replace Curry? TBD, and that determines if the team elevates to the next level after winning 40 games over the past 2 years.

If you can't challenge a senior stocked squad, who can you challenge?

Opportunity lost.

are you sure that we didn't try and those schools said no because maybe they'll think we will be good?

sometimes you just can't get the games

MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Hart Foundation - 08-09-2016 07:08 PM

You know better Dawg.
Prominent programs offer payout guarantee games to get most if not all of their OOC games at home.
Scared of JMU? Laughable.

Somehow every other CAA team was able to schedule at least one ACC, SEC, Big 10, or Big East team. JMU did not.

This doesn't even address the financial angle. JMU is trying to fund a new convo and these guarantee games can be worth over $100,000 a pop. It would absolutely help an athletic department that indicates they don't have enough money. This doesn't even address the National University model that Jon Boy Alger spews out.
We should expect more especially after coach Rowe said he is willing to play anyone, anywhere.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - olddawg - 08-09-2016 07:21 PM

It's also possible that Rowe really wanted to have a good record in his 1st year. Got a lot of recruits to get this year and maybe he felt that an impressive record would help (and the promise of big time opponents in the future). Just a theory.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Dukeman - 08-10-2016 04:38 AM

(08-09-2016 07:08 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  You know better Dawg.
Prominent programs offer payout guarantee games to get most if not all of their OOC games at home.

Somehow every other CAA team was able to schedule at least one ACC, SEC, Big 10, or Big East team. JMU did not.

This doesn't even address the financial angle. JMU is trying to fund a new convo and these guarantee games can be worth over $100,000 a pop. It would absolutely help an athletic department that indicates they don't have enough money. This doesn't even address the National University model that Jon Boy Alger spews out.
We should expect more especially after coach Rowe said he is willing to play anyone, anywhere.

A++++++

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - JMUrcc06 - 08-10-2016 06:37 AM

(08-09-2016 07:08 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  You know better Dawg.

What's that you say? JMU fans being duped again and the apologists making every excuse imaginable down to saying P5 programs are afraid to schedule us?

a++ is right!

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-10-2016 06:52 AM

I agree- it's disappointing. The saving grace is the regional games (the addition of ODU and to a lesser degree App State and Charlotte) and the fact that they have home games but it's not a good schedule and JMU could have and should have done better.

Brady delegated to O Driscoll every time I asked about the schedule and Rowe the same to Deane. I guess it is common for an assistant to handle the schedule but I'm sure the head coach has input. When Rowe said that they would go anywhere and play anyone I got excited. That's what I would like all JMU programs to do. Seems like it would have made sense with a veteran team when he's trying to change the culture to do that in year 1. I'm surprised with all the recruiting that they are doing in Florida that they couldn't land a game or two at Miami or Florida State or Florida, etc. I'd much rather squeeze 2 of those games in than a trip to Montana State and they would have an opportunity to showcase their style of play in front of some local recruits. Maybe I'm missing something as a fan but it's a missed opportunity.

I hate to blame Deane 100%- but I was not a fan of retaining him from the prior staff. He's very blunt/matter of fact about the Dukes. IMO he's been around too long and I question his energy. We need new coaches with a different perspective about JMU- coaches that think the sky is the limit and maybe haven't been around long enough to be satisfied with just being a mid major in a one bid league.
Deane doesn't fit with the rest of the staff. I sure hope that he wasn't forced on the staff and I hope he retires very soon. If his contacts in the game can't yield a quality P5 opponent or 2 on the schedule I'd rather have someone else in charge of it.

I realize if I was in the administration and wrote the above paragraph in an email I would be in trouble for age discrimination. I'm just calling it like I see and hear it as a fan. I'm sorry with all due respect I don't like Deane on this staff and his role with the schedule. The OOC schedule is extremely important to getting JMU to where they need to be and that's not 20 wins and a lower tier post season tournament. I wouldn't think that Bourne based on his comments when changing coaches is a fan of the 1st years schedule.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - JMUNation - 08-10-2016 07:57 AM

NJ:

You and I usually agree but this time we see things differently. Mike is adored by the local community and alums. His sarcastic sense of humor has endured him to many. I think this is one of the best schedules we have ever had. If JMU has a good season, they will see plenty of P5 teams in the post season. ODU, UR, GMU, App and Charlotte games are all games in markets where we have large and active alumni bases. This allows those of us outside of Harrisonburg to see the Dukes play and a decent showing by our fans will encourage these schools to continue to play us.

While I agree the schedule could always be better, this one is a good one and I feel you are being overly critical of Mike for it. I will also add that the players love Mike too. He has been as much or more hands on than Matt was. He brings experience to the table as a nice compliment to a rookie head coach. My guess is Mike will be with us for a few more years then retire when he decides or Lou moves on.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - BSKB 24 - 08-10-2016 08:13 AM

(08-10-2016 06:52 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I agree- it's disappointing. The saving grace is the regional games (the addition of ODU and to a lesser degree App State and Charlotte) and the fact that they have home games but it's not a good schedule and JMU could have and should have done better.

Brady delegated to O Driscoll every time I asked about the schedule and Rowe the same to Deane. I guess it is common for an assistant to handle the schedule but I'm sure the head coach has input. When Rowe said that they would go anywhere and play anyone I got excited. That's what I would like all JMU programs to do. Seems like it would have made sense with a veteran team when he's trying to change the culture to do that in year 1. I'm surprised with all the recruiting that they are doing in Florida that they couldn't land a game or two at Miami or Florida State or Florida, etc. I'd much rather squeeze 2 of those games in than a trip to Montana State and they would have an opportunity to showcase their style of play in front of some local recruits. Maybe I'm missing something as a fan but it's a missed opportunity.

I hate to blame Deane 100%- but I was not a fan of retaining him from the prior staff. He's very blunt/matter of fact about the Dukes. IMO he's been around too long and I question his energy. We need new coaches with a different perspective about JMU- coaches that think the sky is the limit and maybe haven't been around long enough to be satisfied with just being a mid major in a one bid league.
Deane doesn't fit with the rest of the staff. I sure hope that he wasn't forced on the staff and I hope he retires very soon. If his contacts in the game can't yield a quality P5 opponent or 2 on the schedule I'd rather have someone else in charge of it.

I realize if I was in the administration and wrote the above paragraph in an email I would be in trouble for age discrimination. I'm just calling it like I see and hear it as a fan. I'm sorry with all due respect I don't like Deane on this staff and his role with the schedule. The OOC schedule is extremely important to getting JMU to where they need to be and that's not 20 wins and a lower tier post season tournament. I wouldn't think that Bourne based on his comments when changing coaches is a fan of the 1st years schedule.

I have never disagreed with a post so much as this one! Lou Rowe retaining Mike Deane was a great move. With Mike at his side Lou has a person who has forgotten more basketball than most will ever know. Mike is great for that staff and a great Ambassador for JMU Basketball. I think you are way off on your assessment.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-10-2016 08:31 AM

Sorry BSKB and JMUNation if I was too harsh and off the mark. I would have just preferred to see them move on when Lou was brought in and I haven't been a fan of some of things that Deane has said about the program and scheduling. I'm a fan so I admit I don't know everything that goes into it. We'll see how it plays out. I'm excited for this team and the season just a little disappointed that we couldn't get a big school or two on the schedule.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Rock House Duke - 08-10-2016 08:43 AM

My only complaint about the OOC schedule is how we did not schedule more CUSA teams! 04-cheers

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - ShadyP - 08-10-2016 09:08 AM

(08-10-2016 08:13 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 06:52 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I agree- it's disappointing. The saving grace is the regional games (the addition of ODU and to a lesser degree App State and Charlotte) and the fact that they have home games but it's not a good schedule and JMU could have and should have done better.

I have never disagreed with a post so much as this one! Lou Rowe retaining Mike Deane was a great move. With Mike at his side Lou has a person who has forgotten more basketball than most will ever know. Mike is great for that staff and a great Ambassador for JMU Basketball. I think you are way off on your assessment.

Agree, Mike Deane is the only coach that made sense as a holdover on the new staff. It also serves as a bridge/transition between the old and new staffs.

Sure it may have been nice to have one ACC game on the schedule but I think this is the best OOC schedule JMU has had in years. Rather than an early season beat-down against Ohio State or UVA we have a OOC schedule with many regional opponents of interest that folks on this very board have been 'bitching' about not playing for years. It would have been nice to play in one of the pre-season tournaments but that is minor.

ODU - CUSA
Montana St - Big Sky
Texas Southern - SWAC (#1 team last season)
Louisiana - SunBelt
George Mason - Atlantic10
UNCC - CUSA
Longwood - Big South
Western Michigan - MAC
App State - SunBelt
Richmond - Atlantic10
UMBC - America East
Eastern Mennonite - good game over xmas break to knock the rust off.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - dukes13 - 08-10-2016 09:13 AM

One game against a big name team isn't going to get us an at-large. Sure it's nice to see us play those and in the future I know we will again, but look at our results against UVA, Ohio State, UCLA, WVU, etc. in recent history. None have been close. The one year we got into the tournament we played a P5 school and STILL ended up as the first four in. Hopefully after a year or two, Lou will have our program in a place where we can compete with P5 schools.

This is the best all around schedule I've seen us play in a long time.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - NJDuke97 - 08-10-2016 09:16 AM

I guess every team has some cupcakes on the schedule but I'd prefer they avoid games against the America East, Big Sky, and SWAC. no MEAC so that's good but if no P5 why not try to replace those with Missouri Valley, Mountain West, or even MAAC- historically those conferences have better RPIs which helps JMU.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - JMUNation - 08-10-2016 09:54 AM

JMU lost its best player off a team that finished 3rd in its conference. I do not see us as at large material even with a lot of seniors. The goal should be to win the CAA with this team. An NIT invite would be a reasonable goal too. An at large from the current CAA would be a surprise.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - BleedingPurple - 08-10-2016 11:25 AM

This schedule is primed to bring back fans. Frankly, that needed to be a focus for Lou's first season. We were once one of the best fan supported mid-major teams and we lost it. Have a good season playing regionally known teams and then branch out from there.

RE: MBB Schedule 2016/17 - Longhorn - 08-10-2016 11:51 AM

Couldn't disagree with you more about Deane.