CSNbbs
Future MBB Schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Future MBB Schedule (/thread-784309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-16-2018 07:33 AM

(08-15-2018 01:26 PM)Bogey Wrote:  The home out of conference schedule is pretty underwhelming but it may not be the worst thing in the world with Banks recently having wrist surgery. I think he tore a tendon and will not be able to use his right arm for 12 weeks. He is currently in a hard cast and when the soft cast comes off we will be about a week or two away from when the season starts. His arm will lose a lost of muscle mass over that 12 week period but hopefully he can do some treadmill work to keep up his cardio.

This is very unfortunate news. Banks is super talented and the sky is the limit when he is healthy. I'm sure the OOC will get off to slow start for him and hope that as the OOC goes on he gets to full strength.

If he doesn't start to start the season I wonder what the lineup will look like.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Wear Purple - 08-16-2018 07:55 AM

(08-15-2018 01:26 PM)Bogey Wrote:  The home out of conference schedule is pretty underwhelming but it may not be the worst thing in the world with Banks recently having wrist surgery. I think he tore a tendon and will not be able to use his right arm for 12 weeks. He is currently in a hard cast and when the soft cast comes off we will be about a week or two away from when the season starts. His arm will lose a lost of muscle mass over that 12 week period but hopefully he can do some treadmill work to keep up his cardio.

Thanks for the info, Bogey. Good luck to Darius in his recovery/rehab.

While it sucks for him and the team as they ramp up prep for the season in late September through opening day, I am reminded that 19-20 year olds tend to mend up pretty quickly (as of course compared to old fartekers like myself). One silver lining is that it happened now when he has a legit chance to be ready for the early season schedule. Would've REALLY sucked if he had this happen in December or heaven forbid January once the REAL schedule cranks up in a big way.

Rowe has better depth and talent to turn to now. The door may open for a guy like Jones at the 3. Or, perhaps a freshman like Hicklin or Flowers. If Parker comes in and plays more like a soph instead of a true frosh, maybe he slides into the 3-man backcourt rotation with Lewis and Mosley.

Really looking forward to the season. But, I say that every year. Back to the thread topic, I believe EZU's home non-AAC games were mostly streamed via ESPN-3 last year. I think CUSA has a streaming option (ala caa.tv) for roadies at ODU and Charlotte. Same for the A-10 at Fordham. Mason already lists theirs as being on ESPN+. Maybe that's where Fordham winds up.

I'm guessing the road game at Oakland will somehow make it to a streaming platform via Oakland, but may be radio and live stats only for the other 2 games at Oakland (NIU and ORU). Hoping we can somehow watch all 3 games over Turkey Day weekend. We should learn a lot about these Dukes during that stretch in Michigan. We'll see...

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Centdukesfan - 08-16-2018 08:38 AM

itll be really interesting to see who takes the minutes of banks in the early season? I wonder if Pinkard has progressed a lot? Following Parker on social media makes me think he is really working hard to get college ready. Unsure of how the other freshmen are handling these few months.

Also - when is walfish getting replaced I wonder?

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-18-2018 04:14 PM

(08-16-2018 08:38 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  itll be really interesting to see who takes the minutes of banks in the early season? I wonder if Pinkard has progressed a lot? Following Parker on social media makes me think he is really working hard to get college ready. Unsure of how the other freshmen are handling these few months.

Also - when is walfish getting replaced I wonder?

My guess is Pinkard. He's an upper classman and has been in the program for the last year. Wouldn't count out Jones either but I think he plays more like an undersized 4 than a swing guy.

BTW someone mentioned they hoped Rowe had some connections to schedule better. Rowe's connections and talents help in recruiting but I think based his background he's hurt a little by a lack of connections with other coaches in terms of scheduling. Brady was better connected within the coaching fraternity because he'd been in the game longer.

I'd like to see Rowe tap into some connections- like Musselman at Nevada for example (Rowe played as a pro for Musselman) or even Kruger at Oklahoma (Rowe's ex coach at Florida).

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-19-2018 06:36 AM

(08-15-2018 01:11 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 12:46 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Here are some data points for the riveting home OOC schedule.

Sagarin rating and record
Radford 190. 21-13. Not a bad game, but shouldn’t be the best home game JMU plays.
Citadel 322. 8-21
Coppin State 348. 5-27
Bridgewater not ranked. 14-12 D3 mediocrity
E Mennonite not ranked. 12-15 D3 mediocrity.

Of course JMU was 230. 9-22 so maybe these are the new peers? This is undoubtedly the National model for athletics programs.

Get your season tickets now before they sell out!

I think we all get it.....just don't get season tickets and move on. No need to perpetually put them down. No one has even disagreed that the home OOC schedule is somewhat underwhelming.
I assume you were there last year for ODU, App St, GMU, UNCC at home for OOC games and Richmond on the road since those should have been more appealing games. OOC schedules flop so 3 of those 4 are on the road, the series ended with UR and we get return games from Radford and The Citadel.

Hopefully the 2019-2020 home OOC schedule will be more to your liking.

Just keep in mind that the ODU series was 2 for 1 so it is technically over this year and will need to be extended. The Mason series has been 4 games (2 and 2) so hopefully that will just continue. The Charlotte and Radford series (1 and 1) will have completed.

For 2019-2020 I think we can bank on ECU and Fordham at home, and Mason at home if the series is continued.

Obviously would like to see ODU continue and they would be due to come to Harrisonburg. Other regional series- restarting Richmond, VCU 2 for 1, etc. would be great.

For next year- try to get in a legit OOC tournament with multiple shots at P6 teams.

For 2020 Union Bank opening in addition to lining up a big opener (UVA, Va Tech, VCU, etc.) stack a few other home games- call in favors to Nevada and Oklahoma on home and homes. Stack the schedule like the old days. It will be the rising Sophomores Senior year. Send them out in style and roll out the new arena in style as well with a schedule that will pack the new arena, give you a true home court advantage and even position you for an at large bid if everything breaks right.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - BleedingPurple - 08-19-2018 10:08 AM

97, you seem to be on the inside of JMU basketball, just curious, normally a 2 for 1 has cash involved, in this case it would be paid by ODU to JMU. Do you know the amount in this deal?

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-20-2018 06:07 AM

(08-19-2018 10:08 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  97, you seem to be on the inside of JMU basketball, just curious, normally a 2 for 1 has cash involved, in this case it would be paid by ODU to JMU. Do you know the amount in this deal?

No insider but I appreciate you thinking that I am. Just a fan who follows the program very closely from the outside (with the occasional email communication with the coaches). I think in hoops 2 for 1s don't necessarily have a financial component. It was just a way to get ODU to agree to the series.

In basketball guys like John Rothstein often talk about buy games- these are the one game series like JMU's game at Florida last year. Those games typically have a financial payment to the road team. I think the money is a lot less than what you see in football. Maybe $80K- $100K would be my guess.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - BleedingPurple - 08-20-2018 06:21 AM

(08-20-2018 06:07 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 10:08 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  97, you seem to be on the inside of JMU basketball, just curious, normally a 2 for 1 has cash involved, in this case it would be paid by ODU to JMU. Do you know the amount in this deal?

No insider but I appreciate you thinking that I am. Just a fan who follows the program very closely from the outside (with the occasional email communication with the coaches). I think in hoops 2 for 1s don't necessarily have a financial component. It was just a way to get ODU to agree to the series.

In basketball guys like John Rothstein often talk about buy games- these are the one game series like JMU's game at Florida last year. Those games typically have a financial payment to the road team. I think the money is a lot less than what you see in football. Maybe $80K- $100K would be my guess.

I'm pretty sure I read Stanford only paid us $40K to come out there about 8 - 10 years ago.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - olddawg - 08-20-2018 10:57 AM

It's sad that former peers like ODU and VCU can now command 2 for 1 deals with us. I would imagine with the new arena, better fan support (w/better teams) that would change. We wouldn't be such an RPI drag by then.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Hart Foundation - 08-20-2018 03:00 PM

(08-20-2018 06:07 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

80k to 100k is indeed the market rate for guarantee games against Power schools that play in mid to large arenas.
JMU could pay for basketball COA and add funding to the arena with just a few of those games each year.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Wear Purple - 08-22-2018 01:49 PM

Didn't think this was worthy of a thread of its own, so hope OK I throw this in here...

..."NCAA eliminates RPI, develops new metric for NCAA Tournament selection"

Link: https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/08/22/ncaa-develops-new-metric-eliminates-rpi-as-primary-sorting-tool/

Also...

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

Just received clarification from the NCAA: the NET rankings will be public available beginning in late November or early December, and updated daily through Selection Sunday.

11:43 AM - Aug 22, 2018

I know we are in a 1-bid league (most likely), but thought some of you fellow hoops fans might find this interesting anyway.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - ShadyP - 08-22-2018 03:24 PM

(08-22-2018 01:49 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Didn't think this was worthy of a thread of its own, so hope OK I throw this in here...

..."NCAA eliminates RPI, develops new metric for NCAA Tournament selection"

Link: https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/08/22/ncaa-develops-new-metric-eliminates-rpi-as-primary-sorting-tool/

Also...

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

Just received clarification from the NCAA: the NET rankings will be public available beginning in late November or early December, and updated daily through Selection Sunday.

11:43 AM - Aug 22, 2018

I know we are in a 1-bid league (most likely), but thought some of you fellow hoops fans might find this interesting anyway.

RPI and SOS is waaaayyy better than that stupid quadrant system that basically just rewards the big conference even more. Not saying the CAA is more than a 1 bid league now, but the quadrant system is heavily skewed to major conferences benefit.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Tribeheart - 08-22-2018 04:31 PM

Unfortunately, the quadrant system will still be used. Which quadrant a team fits in will be based on the new NET, and no longer the RPI.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 09-02-2018 06:35 PM

While visiting my parents this weekend they gave me a MBB 93-94 yearbook that I had among my old things. Was cool to see HCLR as a player in the year book. That was a good season with the Culuko buzzer beater to get into the NCAAs.

Just to put things in perspective here were some of the schedule highlights:

Nov 27th opener (opener a lot later back then) @ VCU (went by Virginia Commonwealth University back then but still a very solid hoops program)
12-3/12-4 Boilermaker Invitation at Purdue (Indiana State and Western Michigan also involved). In exchange JMU hosted Purdue the year after (A Dukes win).
12/10 Home vs LaSalle- LaSalle was solid then with a small lead guard
12/22 Home vs. Rutgers- Rutgers hoops was respectable back then
12-31 at Minnesota- Dukes got a return game the following year at the Convo that was televised on ESPN2
CAA Conference slate (ODU, Richmond were notable George Mason and UNCW were good programs yet)
at UNC Charlotte- they were pretty good back then in the Metro conference- that was a series where Dukes got a return game at the end of the season at the Convo as well.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Wear Purple - 09-05-2018 12:10 PM

Oakland University has released the tip times for our 3-day shindig over Turkey Day weekend...

https://goldengrizzlies.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=60

Nov. 23, (Black) Friday: Dukes at host Oakland, 2:30pmET

Nov. 24, Saturday: Dukes vs Northern Illinois, 12pmET

Nov. 25, Sunday: Dukes vs Oral Roberts, 12pmET

RE: Future MBB Schedule - EvanJ - 09-08-2018 09:47 AM

The Mid-American was tenth in the Conference RPI last season, but Northern Illinois had the worst RPI in it at 236th. Oral Roberts was 256th.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Dignan - 09-09-2018 04:02 PM

(09-08-2018 09:47 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  The Mid-American was tenth in the Conference RPI last season, but Northern Illinois had the worst RPI in it at 236th. Oral Roberts was 256th.

So you’re saying this tourney will do wonders for our OOC SOS, right?

RE: Future MBB Schedule - ShadyP - 09-10-2018 11:00 AM

(09-09-2018 04:02 PM)Dignan Wrote:  
(09-08-2018 09:47 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  The Mid-American was tenth in the Conference RPI last season, but Northern Illinois had the worst RPI in it at 236th. Oral Roberts was 256th.

So you’re saying this tourney will do wonders for our OOC SOS, right?

Does it really matter? The CAA in 2018-2019 is a one bid league and with this ridiculous Quadrant System, the board is heavily tilted toward the Major Conferences.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Dukes84 - 09-12-2018 11:21 AM

(08-16-2018 07:55 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Thanks for the info, Bogey. Good luck to Darius in his recovery/rehab.

While it sucks for him and the team as they ramp up prep for the season in late September through opening day, I am reminded that 19-20 year olds tend to mend up pretty quickly (as of course compared to old fartekers like myself). One silver lining is that it happened now when he has a legit chance to be ready for the early season schedule. Would've REALLY sucked if he had this happen in December or heaven forbid January once the REAL schedule cranks up in a big way.

Rowe has better depth and talent to turn to now. The door may open for a guy like Jones at the 3. Or, perhaps a freshman like Hicklin or Flowers. If Parker comes in and plays more like a soph instead of a true frosh, maybe he slides into the 3-man backcourt rotation with Lewis and Mosley.

Really looking forward to the season. But, I say that every year. Back to the thread topic, I believe EZU's home non-AAC games were mostly streamed via ESPN-3 last year. I think CUSA has a streaming option (ala caa.tv) for roadies at ODU and Charlotte. Same for the A-10 at Fordham. Mason already lists theirs as being on ESPN+. Maybe that's where Fordham winds up.

I'm guessing the road game at Oakland will somehow make it to a streaming platform via Oakland, but may be radio and live stats only for the other 2 games at Oakland (NIU and ORU). Hoping we can somehow watch all 3 games over Turkey Day weekend. We should learn a lot about these Dukes during that stretch in Michigan. We'll see...

Just a couple of quick observations. I, too, was disappointed at quickly looking at the out of conference schedule yesterday. No P5 teams that I noticed and two local D3 teams. Couple of A-10 teams in Mason and Fordham, plus ODU and Oakland. East Carolina and Charlotte are also in there. Some tough matchups, but overall shows a lack of confidence in the team. I get it...they haven't won yet.

That's a big loss with respect to Banks. He's one of the best players on the team. I don't see Jones as a starting level player. I think he's an energy guy that can play in spurts but he's not skilled enough to be a starter. I would think Rowe will use a committee if Banks can't go at the start of the year. I would not count out Pinkard and Urbach as possible fill-ins. Pinkard is very athletic and Urbach is supposedly a good shooter. Flowers probably lacks quickness to play the 3 or as a third guard. Probably a committee involving Hicklin, Pinkard and Urbach.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Dukeman2 - 09-15-2018 02:36 PM

Hicklin is not a CAA level recruit