CSNbbs
Future MBB Schedule - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Future MBB Schedule (/thread-784309.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-13-2018 06:48 PM

(08-13-2018 01:56 PM)jmu82 Wrote:  
(08-13-2018 01:35 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Ugh. The OOC schedule is pretty lame. Good ones against state rivals ODU and George Mason then not much else.

I didn’t realize when Rowe said he “would be willing to play anyone, anywhere” that he meant he would be willing to play D III teams as much as possible.
Does any other team in the CAA have zero P5 opponents?

The home slate is comprised of only 5 games Bridgewater, Eastern Mennonite, the Citadel, Coppin State, and Radford. That is awful 03-puke

Valid complaint and a check mark for Hart in the Hart Foundation vs NJ97 GOAT Rowe debate that I look forward to continuing this fall.

Side note is that it definitely not helping my season ticket purchase decision. Wanna support this squad but schedule does blow.

I can't disagree- it's an underwhelming OOC schedule. I'd like to see 2 P6 teams let alone 1. A-10 and AAC is ok but we need Big East, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, etc.

That's the second time in 3 seasons that we haven't played a P6 team. I hope he's saving his bullets for when the core group are upper classmen (next year) and the new arena is here (the following year) but I'd imagine that the team getting better may cause some scheduling challenges and teams may be more inclined to play a weaker JMU squad now but maybe there is so much pressure on schools to schedule well that the Dukes' poor performance the last couple of years has hurt.

Either way- lot of winnable games. Mason is supposed to be good this year- some have picked them to win the A-10. They have everyone returning. ODU is always very tough and I think Oakland will probably be the next best test. Not sure what you can expect from Charlotte and ECU with new coaches. Whatever the case this team has to perform well in the OOC this year in terms of Wins and Losses.

Selfishly I'm happy to see the Fordham game on the docket. Will plan to see the Dukes there and early in the conference season vs. Hofstra. Will try to see the Drexel and Delaware games again as well.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - nyduke - 08-13-2018 08:23 PM

Dont mind one d3 game but2 is silly.....Like at Fordham , I ll def. be there. Must be over .500 vs this schedule.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - olddawg - 08-13-2018 08:38 PM

A fluffed up record means nothing to me. There were years w/ Brady where we were decidedly mediocre yet still had 20 wins. The fans aren't fooled. That home slate is putrid. Is there any other DI school that has scheduled two DIII schools AND has ZERO P5s on their schedule?

RE: Future MBB Schedule - HyperDuke - 08-13-2018 09:01 PM

I don’t see the schedule as fluffing up to make Lou look better. I view it as strategic to get the guys confident. Think about how often we’ve seen a tight contest result in a loss in the last two years. I am hopeful that the schedule is like this to get this team confident & executing by the time we get to March. We’ll see!

RE: Future MBB Schedule - NJDuke97 - 08-13-2018 09:43 PM

(08-13-2018 08:38 PM)olddawg Wrote:  A fluffed up record means nothing to me. There were years w/ Brady where we were decidedly mediocre yet still had 20 wins. The fans aren't fooled. That home slate is putrid. Is there any other DI school that has scheduled two DIII schools AND has ZERO P5s on their schedule?

I think you'd find a lot more schools with the 2 Non D1 games- they don't count towards the RPI so it's something that a lot of schools are doing. A mid major with no P6 games is very rare. I think in many cases these games are scheduled for financial reasons. JMU is the rare mid major with a borderline major athletics budget. IMO they really don't need the pay day so unless it's the right opponent (geography/recruiting footprint) or the right time where they have a shot to win maybe Rowe would rather not fly to Minnesota or someplace like that just to get a P5 game on the calendar. I can understand it because it often is sandwiched in your schedule in a way where you will likely lose that game and it may compromise you travel wise in the game after. That said, as a fan I want to see JMU face the best like they do often times in other sports. You have to find a way to get a game or better yet 2 each year against the big boys.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - HyperDuke - 08-13-2018 09:58 PM

I agree ‘97, but I’m trying to stick with the whole “absolute homer” thing.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Centdukesfan - 08-14-2018 07:42 AM

we'll take down the p5s come tourney time

RE: Future MBB Schedule - BleedingPurple - 08-14-2018 07:48 AM

Looking at this shows me we need to be (and should be) undefeated at home prior to the CAA season getting started.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - AssyrianDuke - 08-14-2018 08:28 AM

The OOC schedule is underwhelming for sure. Is one of the D3 games an exhibition? I also noticed that the Bridgewater game is marked as part of the Men Against Breast Cancer Challenge. Would like to see a game against Richmond and a P5/6 style money game, but as long as we can get to (and preferably over) .500 in conference play, I would be able to forgive it. Three more months!

RE: Future MBB Schedule - olddawg - 08-14-2018 10:41 AM

(08-13-2018 09:01 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I don’t see the schedule as fluffing up to make Lou look better. I view it as strategic to get the guys confident. Think about how often we’ve seen a tight contest result in a loss in the last two years. I am hopeful that the schedule is like this to get this team confident & executing by the time we get to March. We’ll see!

I get what you're saying. This is year 3 though. Would have preferred the confidence boosting route while we were breaking in all those freshman.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - ShadyP - 08-14-2018 11:04 AM

Definitely not the best of home OOC scheduling this season with only 5 home games prior to CAA play. I get scheduling either EMU or Bridgewater but don't get scheduling both.....my best guess is it was when putting the schedule together JMU had to schedule both to get to 5 home games prior to CAA play or they could have got another game but would have been a road game. I think playing in these 3 game tournaments that someone else hosts cuts into the ability to work more/better OOC games. I get the schedule - I guess to get confidence - but this is year 3, Rowe's guys - Rowe's system - need to add up to W's. need 18+ wins and above .500 in CAA minimum this year or his seat is gonna get really hot.

I is a shame we could not keep the series going with Richmond. These are not marque games but other teams somewhat local we should try to add to the home-home mix
Liberty, Longwood, Hampton, Norfolk St, VMI, Mt Saint Marys, UMBC, Marshall (not twice in same season), UNCG, NC A&T, North Carolina Central. I am sure I left off a few but these are all 'ok' games that do not require major travel.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - HyperDuke - 08-14-2018 12:21 PM

Honestly, I think they know people just don’t trust JMU MBB anymore at least as far as buying tickets & coming out. Sadly, those local D3 games will have above average attendance.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - 2Buck - 08-15-2018 11:48 AM

(08-14-2018 11:04 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  Definitely not the best of home OOC scheduling this season with only 5 home games prior to CAA play. I get scheduling either EMU or Bridgewater but don't get scheduling both.....my best guess is it was when putting the schedule together JMU had to schedule both to get to 5 home games prior to CAA play or they could have got another game but would have been a road game. I think playing in these 3 game tournaments that someone else hosts cuts into the ability to work more/better OOC games. I get the schedule - I guess to get confidence - but this is year 3, Rowe's guys - Rowe's system - need to add up to W's. need 18+ wins and above .500 in CAA minimum this year or his seat is gonna get really hot.

I is a shame we could not keep the series going with Richmond. These are not marque games but other teams somewhat local we should try to add to the home-home mix
Liberty, Longwood, Hampton, Norfolk St, VMI, Mt Saint Marys, UMBC, Marshall (not twice in same season), UNCG, NC A&T, North Carolina Central. I am sure I left off a few but these are all 'ok' games that do not require major travel.

Sorry, but our men's program continues its journey down the crapper. The women's team is so far beyond the men's, their "local" schedule includes George Washington (home), Georgetown (home), Maryland and Wake Forest. And folks feel we should pursue Longwood and UMBC? Just when I think our fanbase couldn't possibly be decimated any more than it is.

Are these guys truly this inept at MBB, or maybe they'll shock us all and they're purposely skimping on the HC salary to save up so they can finally double-down on a big hire when the new arena opens? I just can't shake this vision of getting thumped by Oral Roberts in a shiny new empty cavern, as the latest Bourne Dialogue touts the merits of being able to host poultry symposiums and toddler beauty pageants in our $85M facility.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - AllForDukes - 08-15-2018 12:28 PM

(08-15-2018 11:48 AM)2Buck Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 11:04 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  Definitely not the best of home OOC scheduling this season with only 5 home games prior to CAA play. I get scheduling either EMU or Bridgewater but don't get scheduling both.....my best guess is it was when putting the schedule together JMU had to schedule both to get to 5 home games prior to CAA play or they could have got another game but would have been a road game. I think playing in these 3 game tournaments that someone else hosts cuts into the ability to work more/better OOC games. I get the schedule - I guess to get confidence - but this is year 3, Rowe's guys - Rowe's system - need to add up to W's. need 18+ wins and above .500 in CAA minimum this year or his seat is gonna get really hot.

Sorry, but our men's program continues its journey down the crapper. The women's team is so far beyond the men's, their "local" schedule includes George Washington (home), Georgetown (home), Maryland and Wake Forest. And folks feel we should pursue Longwood and UMBC? Just when I think our fanbase couldn't possibly be decimated any more than it is.

Are these guys truly this inept at MBB, or maybe they'll shock us all and they're purposely skimping on the HC salary to save up so they can finally double-down on a big hire when the new arena opens? I just can't shake this vision of getting thumped by Oral Roberts in a shiny new empty cavern, as the latest Bourne Dialogue touts the merits of being able to host poultry symposiums and toddler beauty pageants in our $85M facility.

Jeez, don't be so negative Nancy!

RE: Future MBB Schedule - ShadyP - 08-15-2018 12:32 PM

You did mention 1, GW is a team JMU mens bball should try to schedule (almost every school in the A-10 would be worth trying to get a series with and reasonable). We use to always play them on President's Day, back in the day. It still takes two to tango when scheduling.....unless of course you like JMU to just take random road games at Ohio State or Florida (those are sucker games --- no one can attend and next to no chance of beating those guys on their home court). IMO you have to improve your profile first in order to improve your scheduling.

Why does G'town impress anyone in WBBALL --- sure they are from the Big East (without UCONN and Notre Dame these days in the league) and were a .500 team (9-9/16-16). Wake Forest, they are ACC but nothing special (5-11/14-17). Also with some of the teams WBBALL has scheduled I hope folks don't come down hard on them if the pre-caa results are not where you want them.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Hart Foundation - 08-15-2018 12:46 PM

Here are some data points for the riveting home OOC schedule.

Sagarin rating and record
Radford 190. 21-13. Not a bad game, but shouldn’t be the best home game JMU plays.
Citadel 322. 8-21
Coppin State 348. 5-27
Bridgewater not ranked. 14-12 D3 mediocrity
E Mennonite not ranked. 12-15 D3 mediocrity.

Of course JMU was 230. 9-22 so maybe these are the new peers? This is undoubtedly the National model for athletics programs.

Get your season tickets now before they sell out!

RE: Future MBB Schedule - ShadyP - 08-15-2018 01:11 PM

(08-15-2018 12:46 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Here are some data points for the riveting home OOC schedule.

Sagarin rating and record
Radford 190. 21-13. Not a bad game, but shouldn’t be the best home game JMU plays.
Citadel 322. 8-21
Coppin State 348. 5-27
Bridgewater not ranked. 14-12 D3 mediocrity
E Mennonite not ranked. 12-15 D3 mediocrity.

Of course JMU was 230. 9-22 so maybe these are the new peers? This is undoubtedly the National model for athletics programs.

Get your season tickets now before they sell out!

I think we all get it.....just don't get season tickets and move on. No need to perpetually put them down. No one has even disagreed that the home OOC schedule is somewhat underwhelming.
I assume you were there last year for ODU, App St, GMU, UNCC at home for OOC games and Richmond on the road since those should have been more appealing games. OOC schedules flop so 3 of those 4 are on the road, the series ended with UR and we get return games from Radford and The Citadel.

Hopefully the 2019-2020 home OOC schedule will be more to your liking.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Bogey - 08-15-2018 01:26 PM

The home out of conference schedule is pretty underwhelming but it may not be the worst thing in the world with Banks recently having wrist surgery. I think he tore a tendon and will not be able to use his right arm for 12 weeks. He is currently in a hard cast and when the soft cast comes off we will be about a week or two away from when the season starts. His arm will lose a lost of muscle mass over that 12 week period but hopefully he can do some treadmill work to keep up his cardio.

RE: Future MBB Schedule - 2Buck - 08-15-2018 03:03 PM

(08-15-2018 12:32 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  

You did mention 1, GW is a team JMU mens bball should try to schedule (almost every school in the A-10 would be worth trying to get a series with and reasonable). We use to always play them on President's Day, back in the day. It still takes two to tango when scheduling.....unless of course you like JMU to just take random road games at Ohio State or Florida (those are sucker games --- no one can attend and next to no chance of beating those guys on their home court). IMO you have to improve your profile first in order to improve your scheduling.

Why does G'town impress anyone in WBBALL --- sure they are from the Big East (without UCONN and Notre Dame these days in the league) and were a .500 team (9-9/16-16). Wake Forest, they are ACC but nothing special (5-11/14-17). Also with some of the teams WBBALL has scheduled I hope folks don't come down hard on them if the pre-caa results are not where you want them.

Schools like UMass, Temple, Georgetown, St. John's, and GW may suck compared to years past, but those are exactly the teams we should be going after. They are hopefully (some day) winnable games, but even if you lose, fans have a much better time accepting it. Loses to teams like USC Upstate, Northern Kentucky, and UT Martin (no matter how good their RPI) are the WTF kind of loses that drive fans away. Well-known programs schedule home and home series with low mid-majors all the time, even if you have to do a 2 for 1 to get it.

Those of you who never experienced the 80's and 90's in MBB just have no idea where our program could be with the right coaching hire. I was hoping Coach Rowe was at least bringing some connections that would help with the schedule but this year's schedule continues to reflect the state of our MBB program.

So, lemonade out of lemons- let's hope for 20 wins and a CAA tourney win!

[Image: cf90be934cc45fd5edab3a74f3784c0a.jpg]

RE: Future MBB Schedule - Hart Foundation - 08-15-2018 08:57 PM

(08-15-2018 01:26 PM)Bogey Wrote:  The home out of conference schedule is pretty underwhelming but it may not be the worst thing in the world with Banks recently having wrist surgery. I think he tore a tendon and will not be able to use his right arm for 12 weeks. He is currently in a hard cast and when the soft cast comes off we will be about a week or two away from when the season starts. His arm will lose a lost of muscle mass over that 12 week period but hopefully he can do some treadmill work to keep up his cardio.

Oooooh. Bogey drops an injury nugget in the middle of the schedule thread. Unfortunately it seems like JMU has had too many major injuries/health conditions over the past 2 decades. More than their fair share.
Hopefully Banks can return full strength.