CSNbbs
Should the A-Sun look to expand? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: Should the A-Sun look to expand? (/thread-783660.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - army56mike - 12-02-2020 09:50 AM

I only saw EKU JSU.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - EKUSteve - 12-02-2020 10:24 AM

(12-02-2020 09:50 AM)army56mike Wrote:  I only saw EKU JSU.

UCAFANS.com

Not seeing any discussion there.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - eku05 - 12-02-2020 02:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I’ve periodically read this board for a while, but I just got approved to post so I figured I may as well chime in.
I’m a 2005 alum of EKU who has passionately followed the Colonels ever since my time as a student, but I’m also born, raised, and currently live in Louisville. Kentucky. My dad is one of six kids, and five of them are Bellarmine alums. I grew up playing the par 3 golf course they used to have on campus, and I’ve been to a few Knights games over the years. I attended Joe Reibel’s basketball camp once back in the day. I teach at one of the all-girls Catholic High Schools in Louisville, and we normally hold our graduation in Knights Hall. So I’ve got some Bellarmine blood to say the least.

I’m also a big Louisville fan even though my amount of time attending U of L totals one summer class.

Anyway, though I’m not without some reservations I’m overall excited/intrigued by the possibility of the move to the ASUN. I keep picturing what the conference logo will look like painted on court inside McBrayer Arena @ Alumni Coliseum.

With that said, I know we still institutionally have our eye on football going FBS at some point, so this kind of move was somewhat unexpected until the chatter started getting impossible to deny. Hopefully we hear something soon. I’m still riding high after the impressive EKU performance in an overtime defeat at Xavier Monday night.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - lion1983 - 12-02-2020 03:47 PM

(12-02-2020 02:59 PM)eku05 Wrote:  Hi everyone!

I’ve periodically read this board for a while, but I just got approved to post so I figured I may as well chime in.
I’m a 2005 alum of EKU who has passionately followed the Colonels ever since my time as a student, but I’m also born, raised, and currently live in Louisville. Kentucky. My dad is one of six kids, and five of them are Bellarmine alums. I grew up playing the par 3 golf course they used to have on campus, and I’ve been to a few Knights games over the years. I attended Joe Reibel’s basketball camp once back in the day. I teach at one of the all-girls Catholic High Schools in Louisville, and we normally hold our graduation in Knights Hall. So I’ve got some Bellarmine blood to say the least.

I’m also a big Louisville fan even though my amount of time attending U of L totals one summer class.

Anyway, though I’m not without some reservations I’m overall excited/intrigued by the possibility of the move to the ASUN. I keep picturing what the conference logo will look like painted on court inside McBrayer Arena @ Alumni Coliseum.

With that said, I know we still institutionally have our eye on football going FBS at some point, so this kind of move was somewhat unexpected until the chatter started getting impossible to deny. Hopefully we hear something soon. I’m still riding high after the impressive EKU performance in an overtime defeat at Xavier Monday night.

Glad to have you on the boards...

I really dont think this is an FBS deal. With financial problems in some states as far as education goes, moves from FCS to FBS may be put on hold for a very long time.

On JSUs side, I'm told tha tf they dont want to leave UNA behind again because of the history and rivalry. Playing each other really does help each other. So if they are planning to go FBS, then they would want UNA with them.

UNA could go, but they have some work to do as far as facilities go. Need a new stadium, and while it is in the works, it hasn't got out of the planning stages yet, and then you would have a 2-3 year wait on it being completed.

Dont know and haven't heard what UCAs intentions are in the FBS regards, so I cant comment.

I do know, even if its football in the Big South, the football side would be stacked if the ASUN lands all 3.

EKU, JSU, UCA, UNA, KSU, Campbell, Gardner Webb, NCA&T, Hampton, Charleston Southern, Monmouth and RMU. (Although I think Monmouth and RMU move on sooner rather than later when this happens)

This will be a tough conference, and a top tier FCS conference.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - eku05 - 12-02-2020 03:59 PM

I'm certainly not implying that I think this possible ASUN move is FBS related. I agree that's not what the ASUN is aiming for here. If (and this is a big "if") this is at all related to EKU's desire to go FBS then it could really only be an attempt to bring some energy and attention to the football program.

A lot of us in the EKU camp are wondering what could have been. For those that don't know, when Coastal Carolina got into the Sun Belt they were chosen over EKU as the other option for that spot. In fact, Coastal came out of nowhere. Sun Belt officials were on campus at EKU in back-to-back years giving feedback and discussing a possible invitation for EKU.

Obviously, it didn't happen. Meanwhile they are undefeated and in the top 20 while we made a coaching change prior to last season and are still just hoping to become a national FCS contender again.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - eku05 - 12-02-2020 04:11 PM

Oh, and I forgot the strangest part. Dr. Michael Benson, who I think is honestly the best president EKU has had in my lifetime was the guy behind the FBS push. We was a very pro-athletics president, but (and it's difficult to know exactly what happened) it seems like he didn't get along that well with the current chair of the Board of Regents...who is a former Colonel football player.

Yada, yada, yada...Benson was seemingly forced out. He had flirted with jobs at both College of Charleston and Ole Miss, but ultimately didn't end up with either of them and probably would have been around for at least a little while longer. After he was forced out he eventually did get a new job...wait for it...

as the President of Coastal Carolina. :/

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - GE and MTS - 12-02-2020 05:49 PM

I was cheering for Liberty to land that Sun Belt slot but didn't think we would get it. What a poor turn of events for EKU.

I would like EKU to be in the ASUN. You guys seem like a school that is trying to improve and get better. I think that's the key for conferences. I don't care if someone is bad as long as they are putting in the effort and money. Everyone makes bad hires but having a high budget, good facilities, and a strong fan base will eventually right the ship. We don't need any freeloaders, especially as a low or mid major where there isn't big brands to make up for the Vanderbilts, Oregon States, etc.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - lion1983 - 12-02-2020 06:11 PM

(12-02-2020 05:49 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I was cheering for Liberty to land that Sun Belt slot but didn't think we would get it. What a poor turn of events for EKU.

I would like EKU to be in the ASUN. You guys seem like a school that is trying to improve and get better. I think that's the key for conferences. I don't care if someone is bad as long as they are putting in the effort and money. Everyone makes bad hires but having a high budget, good facilities, and a strong fan base will eventually right the ship. We don't need any freeloaders, especially as a low or mid major where there isn't big brands to make up for the Vanderbilts, Oregon States, etc.

I think all three (EKU, JSU and UCA) would be great additions, and fit in with the ASUN schools. Like I've said before, I really like the setup in the ASUN with the current schools. I really think there is a very high ceiling now. These 3 schools would add to that.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - lion1983 - 12-02-2020 06:12 PM

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - BellarmineGrad - 12-03-2020 05:36 AM

(12-02-2020 02:59 PM)eku05 Wrote:  My dad is one of six kids, and five of them are Bellarmine alums.

Sounds like you come from "good stock." 03-wink

Welcome, and I'm excited about the prospect of EKU joining the ASUN™ as well!

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - eku05 - 12-03-2020 02:01 PM

(12-03-2020 05:36 AM)BellarmineGrad Wrote:  
(12-02-2020 02:59 PM)eku05 Wrote:  My dad is one of six kids, and five of them are Bellarmine alums.

I very nearly went to Bellarmine myself. Without telling my whole life story, I really wanted to go to Xavier or Dayton, but I decided against both because of $$$. At that point I picked EKU over Bellarmine and Louisville mostly because it was out of town and I'd psyched myself up for the "away" college experience.

I've never regretted it. EKU is a special place, but I have a ton of respect for Bellarmine.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - BellarmineGrad - 12-03-2020 10:21 PM

(12-03-2020 02:01 PM)eku05 Wrote:  

I very nearly went to Bellarmine myself. Without telling my whole life story, I really wanted to go to Xavier or Dayton, but I decided against both because of $$$. At that point I picked EKU over Bellarmine and Louisville mostly because it was out of town and I'd psyched myself up for the "away" college experience.

I've never regretted it. EKU is a special place, but I have a ton of respect for Bellarmine.

Classic. Yours truly matriculated at the aforementioned University of Dayton for postgraduate education (I'm hoping the postponed Bellarmine-UD game gets rescheduled soon).

Yeah, it's funny how things work out. Astonishingly some would say, I was a Governor's Scholar and all that, and I looked at an Ivy or two (and probably should've followed up and applied, given how much "prestige" matters when applying for jobs). But I was a dummy and decided that I'd stay in-state. Got it down to Centre and BU; had similar scholarship deals, but Centre didn't offer computer science as a major then, so I would up at BU and wound up loving it.

I'm a season ticket holder, as are Moves, Boogie, and other BU guys here. No matter what happens with the conference affiliations, maybe I can "treat" you to a BU game sometime. I'll send a private message with my social media "deets."

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - Fighting Muskie - 12-04-2020 09:26 AM

(12-03-2020 10:21 PM)BellarmineGrad Wrote:  

Classic. Yours truly matriculated at the aforementioned University of Dayton for postgraduate education (I'm hoping the postponed Bellarmine-UD game gets rescheduled soon).

Yeah, it's funny how things work out. Astonishingly some would say, I was a Governor's Scholar and all that, and I looked at an Ivy or two (and probably should've followed up and applied, given how much "prestige" matters when applying for jobs). But I was a dummy and decided that I'd stay in-state. Got it down to Centre and BU; had similar scholarship deals, but Centre didn't offer computer science as a major then, so I would up at BU and wound up loving it.

I'm a season ticket holder, as are Moves, Boogie, and other BU guys here. No matter what happens with the conference affiliations, maybe I can "treat" you to a BU game sometime. I'll send a private message with my social media "deets."

I just have to say that I really appreciate how cordial all of you ASUN folks are with each other. There’s a rare sense of camaraderie over here on your boards.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - lion1983 - 12-04-2020 10:45 AM

(12-04-2020 09:26 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

I just have to say that I really appreciate how cordial all of you ASUN folks are with each other. There’s a rare sense of camaraderie over here on your boards.
Well when everyone else is crapping on you, you kinda stick together, I guess.

But overall it's good schools..., waiting to see what happens.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - GE and MTS - 12-04-2020 10:49 AM

I was about to post the same thing. We are supposed to hate each other and act like children. Start acting like like the immature brats we know we can be! 04-cheers

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - eku05 - 12-04-2020 12:37 PM

Funny story...I came so close to going to Bellarmine that Bellarmine thought I did go there. About 2 days before I left to move in at EKU in August of 2001 I got a call from the Bellarmine offices to "confirm" that I'd still be attending. I had sent in the paperwork declining the scholarship they offered me. At the end of my first semester of college I arrived home from Christmas Break to my mother telling me we had received a bill in the mail for "lab fees" at Bellarmine. She called them back to explain that I attended a different school in a different city and was asked, "are you sure?".

Additionally, I talk Bellarmine hoops a lot with a co-worker of mine whose husband is the SID there. The principal of the school I teach at is the daughter of a retired, long-time Bellarmine history professor. I even know coach Davenport's daughter-in-law from graduate school and the fact that she's coworkers with a relative of mine.

And at some point we should discuss the recent pipeline of moves between EKU and Bellarmine.

-Reece Gaines went from being a BU assistant to an EKU assistant.
-Doug Davenport went from being an EKU assistant back to his dad's staff at Bellarmine.
-Parker Chitty and Pedro Bradshaw both transferred from EKU to Bellarmine.

I'm really looking forward to the possibility of a post-pandemic world where my dad and I can possible sit in Freedom Hall together and watch our Alma Mater's battle it out on the hardwood.

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - lion1983 - 12-04-2020 02:47 PM

(12-04-2020 10:49 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 05:36 AM)BellarmineGrad Wrote:  Sounds like you come from "good stock." 03-wink

I was about to post the same thing. We are supposed to hate each other and act like children. Start acting like like the immature brats we know we can be! 04-cheers

Your a brat....

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - knightmoves - 12-04-2020 03:50 PM

(12-04-2020 02:47 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  
(12-04-2020 10:49 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 02:01 PM)eku05 Wrote:  I very nearly went to Bellarmine myself. Without telling my whole life story, I really wanted to go to Xavier or Dayton, but I decided against both because of $$$. At that point I picked EKU over Bellarmine and Louisville mostly because it was out of town and I'd psyched myself up for the "away" college experience.

Your a brat....
I know your are, but what am I?

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - GE and MTS - 12-04-2020 03:54 PM

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Poo poo head!

RE: Should the A-Sun look to expand? - BellarmineGrad - 12-04-2020 06:08 PM

My man Moves always is compelled to stir things up.