CSNbbs
Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF (/thread-782816.html)

Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - BigTribe2 - 06-24-2016 03:28 PM

An overdue honor for Joe Agee, one of the finest men ever associated with W&M Athletics.

Two-sport athlete, long-time Tribe coach, assistant professor at the College, Marine veteran...Colonel Joe has been a friend to many
and an example for all to see of the best at William and Mary.

Congrats, Joe...what took them so long.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/news/2016/6/24/mens-golf-joe-agee-52-to-be-inducted-into-the-hampton-roads-sports-hall-of-fame.aspx

Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - ocfrank - 06-24-2016 08:20 PM

Joe is a great guy and a personal friend. He is recovering from back
Surgery. A coach of mine when I was a kid and a friend as an adult. A great guy.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - Tribe4SF - 06-25-2016 06:13 AM

Screamin Joe!! If someone was late for his class you could hear him screaming their name all across campus. As football players we got the word early to avoid his classes. Golf class would open with laps around Cary Field. A true icon!

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - Tribe Fan - 06-25-2016 11:43 AM

Back during my misspent youth some of us would go into Blow Gym to shoot some hoops. Usually nobody cared but, if Screaming Joe was on duty he would come after us calling us every name in the book ! You ^*+%# get your !"]~" outta here and ... It got to the point if we went in and saw Coach Agee we just turned around and left...
Not long ago I ran into him and introduced myself and reminded him about chasing out of Blow and that brought a big grin to his face and and a good laugh.
Joe Jr. was a very good football player for Lafayette HS here in town and did well as a DB/punter for The Tribe

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - billymac - 06-25-2016 12:55 PM

Had Joe for a PE class as an undergrad and got the chance to know him better, once I began working for the Athletic Department. Great guy.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - WMInTheBurg - 06-25-2016 02:10 PM

Coach Agee taught me in Principles of Coaching. Days I had that class were days I didn't wear a hat. He remembered coaching my dad from 30+ years prior, too. I remember Coach Agee telling stories of when they made him the head soccer coach. He didn't know anything about soccer, so he went to the captains and told them they were going to make the drills for practice. I think he coached about every sport at W&M at some point or another.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - TribeNomad - 06-26-2016 10:17 AM

I remember taking softball as a PE class, playing over at Yates. Coach got really angry if you cussed after missing a ball, etc.. I always make sure to say hello to him when I see him at sporting events.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - Tribal - 06-27-2016 05:16 AM

This is William & Mary, not Georgia State. We offer Kinesiology or Kinesiology Activity...not "PE." PE is what I failed in the 8th grade because I refused to wear the booty shorts and recycled Annandale HS Physical Education teeshirt.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - Tribe4SF - 06-27-2016 05:49 AM

(06-27-2016 05:16 AM)Tribal Wrote:  This is William & Mary, not Georgia State. We offer Kinesiology or Kinesiology Activity...not "PE." PE is what I failed in the 8th grade because I refused to wear the booty shorts and recycled Annandale HS Physical Education teeshirt.

You kids (sigh). Back in the day there was a PE requirement.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - TribeNomad - 06-27-2016 04:04 PM

(06-27-2016 05:49 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(06-27-2016 05:16 AM)Tribal Wrote:  This is William & Mary, not Georgia State. We offer Kinesiology or Kinesiology Activity...not "PE." PE is what I failed in the 8th grade because I refused to wear the booty shorts and recycled Annandale HS Physical Education teeshirt.

Yep. If I recall it was 4 one credit hour courses.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - billymac - 06-27-2016 04:49 PM

...plus passing the swimming test.

Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - ocfrank - 06-27-2016 09:43 PM

(06-27-2016 05:49 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  

There was. I have vivid memories of throwing up just outside the pool in blow gym with coach Dudley looking on. I wasn't the only one.

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - BigTribe2 - 06-28-2016 05:49 AM

Right on the mark.

Today's students may not know it, but decades ago you could not graduate W&M, unless you were physically incapacitated, without passing the swim test (was it 50 yards?).

RE: Joe Agee Named to Hampton Roads HOF - hktribefan - 06-28-2016 12:12 PM

As recently as a few years ago there was still a requirement to take two Kinesiology courses; no more swim test, but those Kinesiology courses were a blast. They have (or had a few years ago) quite an offering. I remember adventure games (just climbing and ropes course stuff), a ski trip during winter break, and judo. It's all part of a liberal arts education!