CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - 757ODU - 01-31-2018 01:49 PM

(01-31-2018 01:38 PM)mac Wrote:  What do you mean when you say he '"brought him over" 757 ? Do you mean our coach saw him play somewhere and said, hey, I get probably get you in a local private school? Or what, just wondering.

I wish I had more answers mac. I believe you are on the right track. The words that were said to me is that Kelvin Jefferson is the reason the kid is here and the reason he is at Bishop Sullivan. I can ask to figure out what is going. I'll have more information on this Friday morning.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUDJ96 - 02-04-2018 03:48 PM

I hope the two bigs we landed will be ready to come off the bench next year. With Stith graduating, our starting bigs are Porter and Carver. Really no depth other than the incoming freshmen. A little concerning.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-04-2018 03:50 PM

(02-04-2018 03:48 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  I hope the two bigs we landed will be ready to come off the bench next year. With Stith graduating, our starting bigs are Porter and Carver. Really no depth other than the incoming freshmen. A little concerning.

Steal whatever Grad transfer MTSU is after, lol.

But for real, a greg Mcclinton type transfer would be perfect.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - bit_9 - 02-04-2018 03:51 PM

The Greek off the bench is fairly under sized but he can shoot to stretch the D. Unless he's got some really serious positioning skills. I've played against that old dude that I should be all accounts eat up on the boards but manages to own me by position alone.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-04-2018 03:52 PM

(02-04-2018 03:51 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  The Greek off the bench is fairly under sized but he can shoot to stretch the D. Unless he's got some really serious positioning skills. I've played against that old dude that I should be all accounts eat up on the boards but manages to own me by position alone.

Making the jump ocer the offseason like Carver did would be ok.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - bit_9 - 02-04-2018 04:00 PM

Yah, him spelling carver with some minutes and hopefully. We don't have any scholly left do we?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-04-2018 04:12 PM

(02-04-2018 04:00 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Yah, him spelling carver with some minutes and hopefully. We don't have any scholly left do we?

Im pretty sure there is one left.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - bit_9 - 02-04-2018 04:45 PM

Grad transfer big man it is. :)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUDJ96 - 02-04-2018 05:09 PM

(02-04-2018 04:45 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Grad transfer big man it is. :)

Yes, indeed!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 02-04-2018 05:56 PM

(02-04-2018 03:50 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 03:48 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  I hope the two bigs we landed will be ready to come off the bench next year. With Stith graduating, our starting bigs are Porter and Carver. Really no depth other than the incoming freshmen. A little concerning.

We need another Trey Porter type transfer instead of a small forward - power forward hybrid.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUDJ96 - 02-04-2018 09:32 PM

(02-04-2018 05:56 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

We need another Trey Porter type transfer instead of a small forward - power forward hybrid.

Would love another gem like Arledge. Perhaps too much to hope for.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 02-04-2018 10:40 PM

(02-04-2018 09:32 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

Would love another gem like Arledge. Perhaps too much to hope for.

Or Painter.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - mac - 02-05-2018 07:12 AM

Would love to see a report on how this weekends recruiting visit went.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-05-2018 10:28 AM

It depends on how the staff feels Ezikpe can play as a freshman. If they believe he can back up Porter and give the team 10-15 mins per game, they can get away with taking best player available.

Next Year:

Point Guards
Caver Sr
Kithcart

Combo Guards
Wade

Wing Players
Godwin
Hueitt
Stith Sr
Green

Combo Forwards
Carver
Reece
Pilavios

Interior Players
Porter Sr
Ekikpe

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 02-05-2018 11:30 AM

(02-05-2018 10:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

It depends on how the staff feels Ezikpe can play as a freshman. If they believe he can back up Porter and give the team 10-15 mins per game, they can get away with taking best player available.

Next Year:

Point Guards
Caver Sr
Kithcart

Combo Guards
Wade

Wing Players
Godwin
Hueitt
Stith Sr
Green

Combo Forwards
Carver
Reece
Pilavios

Interior Players
Porter Sr
Ekikpe

Even if Ezikpe is good enough to play 15-20 minutes backing up Porter at the Center position, he and Porter alone would be cutting it too thin depth wise.

Foul trouble, illness, injury, death in the family, team rules violations, etc. can all mean that a player has to miss time in one or more games. As we have seen it could even be for an entire year. At that point everyone on the depth chart moves up a spot. How many times over the past 3 years has Vassor been called upon even though he is at least 3rd on the depth chart at the center position? ODU must have a big man inside to successfully play Jeff's style of basketball. That has been clearly evident this season. With 2 of his 3 Center position players graduating (Brandan & Vassor) there is a hole there to be filled, and it should be filled with at least 2 replacements, not 1. Also, I tend to believe that Ezikpe would be better suited at the PF position and ODU would be more successful if they could pair him with a guy like Porter at the Center position.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - mac - 02-05-2018 11:38 AM

Would like to see what poster Coach has to say about Kah. I was thinking he was all done since he's about 45 years old by now!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - monarx - 02-05-2018 11:55 AM

Im not counting on the freshman too much next season. JJ has never shown a strong willingness to play freshman. If they do play more than a couple minutes, they'll have to be incredibly talented which should bode well for the future. I think we need a transfer big for next year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 02-05-2018 11:59 AM

Agreed, I'm done assuming that freshmen will make an immediate impact after what we have seen this season. Big mistake on my part.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-05-2018 12:09 PM

(02-05-2018 11:30 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Next Year:

Point Guards
Caver Sr
Kithcart

Combo Guards
Wade

Wing Players
Godwin
Hueitt
Stith Sr
Green

Combo Forwards
Carver
Reece
Pilavios

Interior Players
Porter Sr
Ekikpe

Even if Ezikpe is good enough to play 15-20 minutes backing up Porter at the Center position, he and Porter alone would be cutting it too thin depth wise.

Foul trouble, illness, injury, death in the family, team rules violations, etc. can all mean that a player has to miss time in one or more games. As we have seen it could even be for an entire year. At that point everyone on the depth chart moves up a spot. How many times over the past 3 years has Vassor been called upon even though he is at least 3rd on the depth chart at the center position? ODU must have a big man inside to successfully play Jeff's style of basketball. That has been clearly evident this season. With 2 of his 3 Center position players graduating (Brandan & Vassor) there is a hole there to be filled, and it should be filled with at least 2 replacements, not 1. Also, I tend to believe that Ezikpe would be better suited at the PF position and ODU would be more successful if they could pair him with a guy like Porter at the Center position.

Vassor has played 50 mins this year and very little of that has been in meaningful situations. The 4/5 spots have essentially ben a 3 man rotation of Carver, Porter, Stith. BJ has rotated over a played a little bit of small ball 4. As I was saying under the assumption that Ekipkpe can play a few mins (not a prediction), then that gives them the 3 person rotation without factoring anytime from Reece or Pilavious.

Vassor is the 4th big on the team this year. Next years team will have Carver, Porter, Ekipke, Reece, and Pilavious at the 4/5 positions. I would venture to guess we see more BJ at the 4 next year as Goodwin/Hueit/Green earn more time on the wings.

Ekikpe (6-7 230) is basically the size of Brandan Stith right now (maybe taller, but not sure of wingspan...looks long). He doesn't have the athleticism to guard anyone outside the lane at this point. He is more suited as an interior player that can occasionally spot up for shots on the outside. Asking him to match up with stretch 4s is probably too much to ask. He is much more suited to guard Chris Cokley type player instead of Nick King. On offense, playing him with Porter clogs to paint too much. Reece/Carver are better pairings with Porter.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - JJMonarch - 02-05-2018 12:56 PM

(02-05-2018 12:09 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 11:30 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 03:50 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Steal whatever Grad transfer MTSU is after, lol.

Next Year:

Point Guards
Caver Sr
Kithcart

Combo Guards
Wade

Wing Players
Godwin
Hueitt
Stith Sr
Green

Combo Forwards
Carver
Reece
Pilavios

Interior Players
Porter Sr
Ekikpe

Vassor has played 50 mins this year and very little of that has been in meaningful situations. The 4/5 spots have essentially ben a 3 man rotation of Carver, Porter, Stith. BJ has rotated over a played a little bit of small ball 4. As I was saying under the assumption that Ekipkpe can play a few mins (not a prediction), then that gives them the 3 person rotation without factoring anytime from Reece or Pilavious.

Vassor is the 4th big on the team this year. Next years team will have Carver, Porter, Ekipke, Reece, and Pilavious at the 4/5 positions. I would venture to guess we see more BJ at the 4 next year as Goodwin/Hueit/Green earn more time on the wings.

Ekikpe (6-7 230) is basically the size of Brandan Stith right now (maybe taller, but not sure of wingspan...looks long). He doesn't have the athleticism to guard anyone outside the lane at this point. He is more suited as an interior player that can occasionally spot up for shots on the outside. Asking him to match up with stretch 4s is probably too much to ask. He is much more suited to guard Chris Cokley type player instead of Nick King. On offense, playing him with Porter clogs to paint too much. Reece/Carver are better pairings with Porter.

Don't forget Reece. He could be that stretch 4 at 6'9" that we have needed.