CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - FearTheLion - 10-12-2017 07:50 PM

The Wake guy...LMAO.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Justanodufan - 10-12-2017 08:32 PM

(10-12-2017 04:47 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  So 13 scholarships:

Carver
Caver
Godwin
Green
Haynes
Hueitt Jr.
Kah
Kithcart
McClinton
Pilavios
Pinckney
Porter
Stith
Stith

One of the above must not be on scholarship? Pinckney? One of the Stiths?

We lose Haynes, Kah, Pinkney (scholly?), and Stith. Replace with Wade and Vaughn. There may only be 1 scholarship left?

IMO if someone isn’t on scholarship of the guys listed above it would be a Stith. It would make the most sense.

I think there are five scholarships open for next year: Stith, Pinckney, Kah, haynes, and Mcclinton. Assuming BJ isn’t on scholarship this year, I would guess that he would go on next year which would drop us to 4 scholarships. Since McClinton falls into the NCAA waiver category, I would venture to guess he probably won’t get the 6th year based on ODU’s luck with the NCAA in the past. So I think we got a minimum of 3 (assuming Mcclinton gets his year), with a max of 4 (if Mcclinton doesn’t get his year).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 10-12-2017 08:37 PM

Yeah, im assuming Mcclinton comes back. I know we’ve had poor luck but seems pretty cut and dry.

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Fatalisk - 10-12-2017 09:28 PM

This is great news. Seems as though recruiting has picked up these last two years.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 10-13-2017 09:06 AM

Mcclung seems like a Georgetown commit. He will be at misnight madness.

Anyone know if this is something we have thought about doing? Maybe just lack of interest?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - MonarchManiac - 10-13-2017 09:30 AM

(10-12-2017 05:35 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 02:41 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  What experience does that second group have? Kah and Carver played VERY limited minutes last year, and the other 3 haven't played any. I'll go ahead and toss Haynes in there too - limited minutes.

So we have Caver, BJ, Brandan, and Porter....not a whole lot of college minutes on our squad. And if one of Brandan or Porter goes down with foul trouble (and they will) then what?

I don't have a strong outlook for this season...would love to be proven wrong...but I just don't see it.

I don't think I would agree that Carver played "very limited" minutes. I would agree with that statement about Kah but even though Carver didn't log a lot of minutes each game he was often called on to fill an important role in just about every game. For a freshman coming off the bench I would say he played well, was not afraid of the moment, and showed good promise for the next three years. I think it's fair to say he showed enough in his first year that we can expect a solid contribution from him this season. He is also a very hard worker on the court and in the weight room.

He played 207 minutes last season, out of a possible 1240 (if we say he only plays at the 4) - that comes out to 16% of minutes at the 4 spot for the year....not the worst...but comes out to 10th on the team in terms of minutes played. I certainly think he can grow, but I'm not ready to call him an experienced hand for the team

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 10-13-2017 10:05 AM

(10-13-2017 09:06 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Mcclung seems like a Georgetown commit. He will be at misnight madness.

Anyone know if this is something we have thought about doing? Maybe just lack of interest?

I miss midnight madness. We used to do it.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - monarx - 10-13-2017 10:24 AM

(10-13-2017 10:05 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 09:06 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Mcclung seems like a Georgetown commit. He will be at misnight madness.

Midnight madness was fun. Students actually came out for it too. (then they disappeared for the season, but it was a good start) They had games, food, meet the team and coaches, autographs, giveaways of posters, schedule magnets, T-shirts. Cheerleaders did some stuff. I would think with a better band it would be even better now. Then at 11:45 they introduced the teams and at midnight they did a scrimmage or shoot around or dunk contest I think. Was a nice event to bring recruits to as well. They stopped it supposedly because they counted it as a first practice, and BT said he would rather get an actual real practice in instead. Maybe it was cutting into his evening activities, because it seems like a bad idea from a marketing, recruiting, student engagement and community outreach perspective. But then again, so is getting rid of the monarch maniacs and the call in coaches shows.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Mo Blue Den You - 10-13-2017 10:47 AM

(10-13-2017 10:24 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 10:05 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Midnight madness was fun. Students actually came out for it too. (then they disappeared for the season, but it was a good start) They had games, food, meet the team and coaches, autographs, giveaways of posters, schedule magnets, T-shirts. Cheerleaders did some stuff. I would think with a better band it would be even better now. Then at 11:45 they introduced the teams and at midnight they did a scrimmage or shoot around or dunk contest I think. Was a nice event to bring recruits to as well. They stopped it supposedly because they counted it as a first practice, and BT said he would rather get an actual real practice in instead. Maybe it was cutting into his evening activities, because it seems like a bad idea from a marketing, recruiting, student engagement and community outreach perspective. But then again, so is getting rid of the monarch maniacs and the call in coaches shows.

I started my college career at Longwood before transferring to Old Dominion and even they did midnight madness and was always a huge success. Feel like our Athletic Dept has gone kinda soft the last 5-7 years.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 10-13-2017 12:23 PM

My guess... It probably doesn't make money, and our AD isn't into doing anything that does not bring an immediate ROI... except Phase 1 of the stadium.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU True Blue - 10-13-2017 12:41 PM

(10-13-2017 12:23 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  My guess... It probably doesn't make money, and our AD isn't into doing anything that does not bring an immediate ROI... except Phase 1 of the stadium.

Midnight madness went away early in Blaine Taylor’s reign. Long before Wood Selig. So please stop blaming everything in the world on Selig. Blaine did not want to give up a practice for midnight madness, which it counted against. Then more recent to that they moved the start of practice from the Friday closest to Oct 15 to now a Thursday in Late September. Hard to hold midnight madness on a Thursday night.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - BigBlueMonarch - 10-13-2017 12:51 PM

(10-13-2017 12:41 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 12:23 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  My guess... It probably doesn't make money, and our AD isn't into doing anything that does not bring an immediate ROI... except Phase 1 of the stadium.

Midnight madness went away early in Blaine Taylor’s reign. Long before Wood Selig. So please stop blaming everything in the world on Selig. Blaine did not want to give up a practice for midnight madness, which it counted against. Then more recent to that they moved the start of practice from the Friday closest to Oct 15 to now a Thursday in Late September. Hard to hold midnight madness on a Thursday night.

Also, I believe Blaine was concerned with pointless injuries. If I recall, some really amazing player (not an ODU player) was injured and lost for the season during a dunk contest at a midnight madness. The next year it went away at ODU.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 10-13-2017 01:07 PM

Does that mean that they could have not brought it back? I did not realize that the fact that something was discontinued years ago means that it shall forever be banished.

If not Selig or JJ, then who do you believe would be in charge of making that decision? Is it the same boogeyman that causes our basketball team to continue being mired in mediocrity?

How is it that people like you continually pretend that the people in charge are not the people making the decisions and affecting outcomes?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - 757ODU - 10-13-2017 02:16 PM

(10-13-2017 01:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Does that mean that they could have not brought it back? I did not realize that the fact that something was discontinued years ago means that it shall forever be banished.

If not Selig or JJ, then who do you believe would be in charge of making that decision? Is it the same boogeyman that causes our basketball team to continue being mired in mediocrity?

How is it that people like you continually pretend that the people in charge are not the people making the decisions and affecting outcomes?

I would think it would be Wood making that call at this point.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Nukesquad - 10-13-2017 03:00 PM

(10-13-2017 02:16 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 01:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

I would think it would be Wood making that call at this point.

This is now a Wood & JJ decision. I know that when BT first made the decision, they also had the Blue/White scrimmage. Over time, there was a drop in interest in the Blue/White on both the public end and the Athletics department end. I say the public, because there was a steady drop in attendance, and the department didn't want to start losing money. Also, at that time MBB's first allowable practice was a specific date, hence why there were so many simultaneous midnight madness events. Now, schools are hosting in at random time, and I know many schools aren't going to sacrifice one of their limited-numbered practices on an event that will have non-guaranteed $$ success.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - mac - 10-14-2017 07:28 AM

Too many entertainment options now-a-days. Hard enough to get many folks to come to actual games. Personally, I have no interest in a Midnight Madness or a Blue White game. Still look forward to going to many of the games but do in fact hate CUSA. Just can't get fired up about playing a Florida Atlantic or a North Texas. Miss the CAA, where we belong.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 10-14-2017 08:22 AM

He's a story about Jason Wade's recruitment. Stay on topic guys.

http://d1vision.com/old-dominion-lands-jason-wade/

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - AdoptedMonarch - 10-14-2017 08:57 AM

(10-14-2017 08:22 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  He's a story about Jason Wade's recruitment. Stay on topic guys.

http://d1vision.com/old-dominion-lands-jason-wade/

From the article: "Wade chose Old Dominion over schools such as Appalachian State, Campbell, Delaware, East Carolina, Hofstra, James Madison, La Salle, UMass, Quinnipiac, and Wofford, among others."

I, for one, think that VCU should always be referred to in this manner. It leaves less of a stench to whatever topic is being addressed.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - monarx - 10-14-2017 09:13 AM

Love that JJ has stepped up the recruiting. It comes at a good time too as WKU and UAB have landed some highly rated guys lately too. UAB just stole this guy from SEC, A10 and AAC schools. http://d1vision.com/uab-lands-ryan-boyce/ Maybe CUSA is getting much better. At least the top half is.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchist13 - 10-14-2017 09:43 AM

(10-14-2017 07:28 AM)mac Wrote:  Too many entertainment options now-a-days. Hard enough to get many folks to come to actual games. Personally, I have no interest in a Midnight Madness or a Blue White game. Still look forward to going to many of the games but do in fact hate CUSA. Just can't get fired up about playing a Florida Atlantic or a North Texas. Miss the CAA, where we belong.

I feel the same way about playing Elon, Stony Brook or Hofstra. Would much rather play UAB, WKU, LT, UNCC, Marshall, UTEP and MT.