CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - FearTheLion - 10-01-2017 08:53 PM

Any of you remember Kevin Madden from that HS? He was unbelievable in HS but not so much at UNC. His brother Mitch was ok too. Lot of height produced from that 2A school. Happy to see this and hopefully this kid has his biggest days ahead.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - mac - 10-02-2017 06:21 AM

Any time you can get a state player of the year, that's a good thing IMO. And small district so what, I remember a guy named Bazemore from one that nobody wanted.

Great job coach Stith and welcome aboard Vaughn!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 10-02-2017 06:51 AM

(10-01-2017 06:07 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 05:39 PM)odu09 Wrote:  2-star recruit. Other offers were Millersville(?)

He hasn't played his senior season yet. Actually a pretty good player. We'll see how it translates to college. Based on what we have returning he should get plenty of PT.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't knocking the player, more like just wondering who the f Millersville is haha.

Welcome aboard Jarvis

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - 757ODU - 10-02-2017 07:37 AM

Good get by the staff. Hard worker and someone that still has a lot of room to improve. That is a deadly combo. Love this commitment.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - monarx - 10-02-2017 09:12 AM

(10-02-2017 06:21 AM)mac Wrote:  Any time you can get a state player of the year, that's a good thing IMO. And small district so what, I remember a guy named Bazemore from one that nobody wanted.

Great job coach Stith and welcome aboard Vaughn!

I agree. A POY at any level should be a good get. The fact that he still has his senior year to go may have helped us here. Best case is he signs soon, they goes on to an awesome senior year, another POY award and lots of P5 teams wishing they had taken a chance on him. I guess we'll see.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jumpshooter - 10-02-2017 10:27 AM

For those of you who put stock in Verbal Commits, and I've been guilty, they didn't even have Vaughn listed as someone we were recruiting until today, when they added the news and his name. I'm telling you, a lot of what's listed there is bull****. We've asked JJ about kids on that list and his reply has sometimes been "never heard of the guy, never spoken to the guy."

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - FantomVII - 10-02-2017 10:43 AM

(10-02-2017 10:27 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  For those of you who put stock in Verbal Commits, and I've been guilty, they didn't even have Vaughn listed as someone we were recruiting until today, when they added the news and his name. I'm telling you, a lot of what's listed there is bull****. We've asked JJ about kids on that list and his reply has sometimes been "never heard of the guy, never spoken to the guy."

Who do you use a source outside of VC? Any recommendations?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 10-02-2017 10:49 AM

Spent this morning looking at video of Jarvis and I think he's a good fit for ODU. First, what a fine well spoken young man. The videos shows a guy who's development has been noticeable. Jarvis really just came on during the second half of last year and played well during the AAU season. He is a forward and can put the ball on the floor with moves to the rim. Very active on defense, can defend smaller and quicker players, very good shot blocker. Has good speed, runs the floor well and is athletic with some bounce. Played football and basketball for a few years, then concentrated on basketball. He will need some time to develop into a D1 player. Jarvis plays for a good HS coach and a son of a HS coach. Came from a tough environment, whose mom moved up from Fla for a change and who's dad was in and out of jail. If he keeps working hard and he'll will become a fan favorite during his time as a Monarch.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jumpshooter - 10-02-2017 10:57 AM

(10-02-2017 10:43 AM)FantomVII Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 10:27 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  For those of you who put stock in Verbal Commits, and I've been guilty, they didn't even have Vaughn listed as someone we were recruiting until today, when they added the news and his name. I'm telling you, a lot of what's listed there is bull****. We've asked JJ about kids on that list and his reply has sometimes been "never heard of the guy, never spoken to the guy."

I don't have one. There are people on here and elsewhere who obviously have some inside info (not me) and I usually rely on them . . . I'm also of a mind that anyone these so-called experts don't see get a 2*. How on earth is there enough info beyond highlights to be able to rate the new Greek kid, let alone compare him to Vasser (walk on) or Fields (another walk on). I just think it's nonsense.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - FantomVII - 10-02-2017 11:02 AM

(10-02-2017 10:49 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Spent this morning looking at video of Jarvis and I think he's a good fit for ODU. First, what a fine well spoken young man. The videos shows a guy who's development has been noticeable. Jarvis really just came on during the second half of last year and played well during the AAU season. He is a forward and can put the ball on the floor with moves to the rim. Very active on defense, can defend smaller and quicker players, very good shot blocker. Has good speed, runs the floor well and is athletic with some bounce. Played football and basketball for a few years, then concentrated on basketball. He will need some time to develop into a D1 player. Jarvis plays for a good HS coach and a son of a HS coach. Came from a tough environment, whose mom moved up from Fla for a change and who's dad was in and out of jail. If he keeps working hard and he'll will become a fan favorite during his time as a Monarch.

Here is one vid of some of his AAU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwpLM9e4H4

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchist13 - 10-02-2017 11:34 AM

(10-02-2017 10:43 AM)FantomVII Wrote:  

DaBigBlue.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - mac - 10-02-2017 11:49 AM

^^^^

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - BigBlueMonarch - 10-02-2017 12:49 PM

(10-02-2017 06:51 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 06:07 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 05:39 PM)odu09 Wrote:  2-star recruit. Other offers were Millersville(?)

He hasn't played his senior season yet. Actually a pretty good player. We'll see how it translates to college. Based on what we have returning he should get plenty of PT.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't knocking the player, more like just wondering who the f Millersville is haha.

Welcome aboard Jarvis

Millersville is one of the largest state universities in Pennsylvania http://www.millersville.edu

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jumpshooter - 10-02-2017 03:29 PM

The ? for DaBig would be who else do we have a reasonable shot at getting? Any other surprises like Vaughn?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 10-02-2017 05:21 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm not as active with keeping up on the HS players as I use to be. The weekend of the first practices is always very active at ODU. I was thinking back and I can't think of any first weekends where we didn't have a recruit or two on campus and that's going back to the BT era. I use to make an effort to catch first few practices, and with JJ there is an understanding you can't post anything. We'll see a few more recruits coming in this weekend, still need bigs and a solid pg. I was hopeful with the big Lithuania Lukas Kišūnas, he's off the board and just committed to UConn. Things will be picking up the next few weeks.

It eventually comes out with twitter and Ed, but it is fun getting a little scoop.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 10-02-2017 05:33 PM

Curry to VCU could affect Wade and VCu

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 10-02-2017 05:41 PM

I think we may be in ok shape with Wade and Williams they both visited together. Think it would be great to get Wade.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 10-02-2017 05:52 PM

Jason's teammate Armando Bacot 5-star '19 Trinity Episcopal big has +45 offers including ODU was visited by UNC and UK last week.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUCoach - 10-02-2017 06:19 PM

(10-02-2017 05:33 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Curry to VCU could affect Wade and VCu

Now, I've been told Curry is going to be a fine player, but if we had received a commitment from him, this place would explode with an absolute crushing of Jones, since the kid basically doesn't have a 247 or VC page.

Nonetheless, I think that puts us in good shape with Wade, who, frankly, I'd rather have.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Mr.BigBlue - 10-02-2017 06:30 PM

(10-02-2017 06:19 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 05:33 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Curry to VCU could affect Wade and VCu

Now, I've been told Curry is going to be a fine player, but if we had received a commitment from him, this place would explode with an absolute crushing of Jones, since the kid basically doesn't have a 247 or VC page.

Nonetheless, I think that puts us in good shape with Wade, who, frankly, I'd rather have.

VCU looses a lot at SG/SF. They will recruit 2 players at least from what I have been told.