CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - bluelight - 07-04-2018 03:51 PM

(07-04-2018 02:27 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  You guys have a tread you can post all you want. Let's keep this tread about recruiting. If you want to add something about a recruit or the class, please do.

Some of you guys are dreaming. Both 7ft. players were recruited very late and both averaged 2pts. per game. Forget the High school 4star, we are in the d-1 basketball and both showed they are not 4 star players. Don't brag on JJ recruiting, applaud him if he has a good season next year. Unfortunately these players are work in progress.
I am still waiting for their schedule and what their record will be at the end of 2019.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 07-04-2018 04:06 PM

(07-04-2018 10:10 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  Glad somebody took the needle off the skipping record ... things are looking up for our Monarchs ... don’t let the swamp rats bring you into the drain.

Why are posts like these allowed?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 07-04-2018 04:09 PM

(07-04-2018 01:02 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 12:56 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 12:42 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  He's had consecutive great classes. The praise is about his recruiting. Developing talent and converting talent into wins is a different conversation. We're specifically talking about recruiting since that chapter is now closed for any reasonable person. JJ has absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail for two consecutive years now. There's no reasonable argument to the contrary.

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app

Inseparable. One without the other has no meaning. Even the experts will tell you recruiting can only be evaluated at some point down the road, when game results start to mount up.

So call me unreasonable, but that chapter is not closed for reasons cited above.
I will agree it appears he's picked up his game, but for me the results are not final.

It doesn't really matter what happens. The goalposts will move...

We were only good bc Freeman feel into our lap
We can't recruit big men
We have to many players leave
We cant recruit shooters
We cant recruit grad transfers
Well, the recruiting is good, but we need to wait and see how they turn out

Make the NCAA tourney is the only goalpost I’ve EVER HAD.

You are the one justifying underperformance. Your hypocrisy is astounding.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Old Dominion - 07-04-2018 05:30 PM

(07-04-2018 02:27 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  You guys have a tread you can post all you want. Let's keep this tread about recruiting. If you want to add something about a recruit or the class, please do.

It's thread, not a tread. The H is nowhere near the R, so I'm assuming you're doing this on purpose?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 07-04-2018 05:37 PM

(07-04-2018 01:14 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I don't think either side can reasonably accuse the other of "moving goalposts". AD Selig and Coach Jones set those goalposts the moment he was hired -- as his big body and scrawny arms came out of the silhouette on the overhead scoreboard, promising us that he was ready to "get started" on turning us again into a national winner.

He then proceeded to exceed expectations for his first two seasons, meet expectations for his third season, followed by disappointing outcomes over the next three seasons.

It is time now for Coach Jones to deliver us an at-large worthy season. Is that an unfair expectation? Perhaps. But he (and Woody) can only look in the mirror as to who set those expectations.

I will move back to recruiting after his, but its only been 5 years. One of those seasons (19 wins) was below par. The others were good seasons. (Tho we all want ncaa)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-04-2018 06:22 PM

(07-04-2018 05:30 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

It's thread, not a tread. The H is nowhere near the R, so I'm assuming you're doing this on purpose?

Happy 4t of July

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-04-2018 06:23 PM

(07-04-2018 05:30 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

Happy 4t of July

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Old Dominion - 07-04-2018 06:48 PM

well played

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Obiwan - 07-04-2018 08:20 PM

(07-04-2018 04:06 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 10:10 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  Glad somebody took the needle off the skipping record ... things are looking up for our Monarchs ... don’t let the swamp rats bring you into the drain.

To bring the rats out I guess 05-stirthepot

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - paintedblue2 - 07-04-2018 08:28 PM

(07-04-2018 03:51 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

Some of you guys are dreaming. Both 7ft. players were recruited very late and both averaged 2pts. per game. Forget the High school 4star, we are in the d-1 basketball and both showed they are not 4 star players. Don't brag on JJ recruiting, applaud him if he has a good season next year. Unfortunately these players are work in progress.
I am still waiting for their schedule and what their record will be at the end of 2019.

Great recruiting job by JJ and staff. Congratulations! They brought in two 4 Star rated 7 footers. These guys will bring a lot to the table in terms of defending the rim, grabbing rebounds, and scoring. Dickens is a fantastic shot blocker and is very speedy and agile for a 7 footer!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUDJ96 - 07-04-2018 09:23 PM

(07-04-2018 08:20 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 04:06 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

To bring the rats out I guess 05-stirthepot

04-cheers

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUDJ96 - 07-04-2018 09:31 PM

(07-04-2018 08:28 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 03:51 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

Great recruiting job by JJ and staff. Congratulations! They brought in two 4 Star rated 7 footers. These guys will bring a lot to the table in terms of defending the rim, grabbing rebounds, and scoring. Dickens is a fantastic shot blocker and is very speedy and agile for a 7 footer!

Agreed - JJ and staff have delivered quality recruits. The 2018 season is looking up!

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jasdf - 07-05-2018 04:16 AM

It ain’t what you got, it’s what you do with what you have

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Big Bluezilla - 07-05-2018 06:50 AM

(07-05-2018 04:16 AM)jasdf Wrote:  It ain’t what you got, it’s what you do with what you have

True, but it’s hard to do much of anything if you ain’t got nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - EverRespect - 07-05-2018 07:30 AM

Let's hope that these recruits offer an improved frontcourt to Stith and Porter next year. I'm skeptical, but we'll see. While Brandan was undersized and his production can probably be replaced by one of them, he was a 5th year senior that knew where to be and what to do. No matter how you dice it, losing Porter created a big problem and I highly doubt his production will be replaced.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jasdf - 07-05-2018 07:41 AM

(07-05-2018 06:50 AM)Big Bluezilla Wrote:  
(07-05-2018 04:16 AM)jasdf Wrote:  It ain’t what you got, it’s what you do with what you have

True, but it’s hard to do much of anything if you ain’t got nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah
I’m just saying none of it matters if we fail to make the tournament once again. I don’t care if we’ve got Michael Jordan for 5 years starting next season. Dance this season or make a coaching change, those are the only two options for me and if neither happen, I’m done until the coaches are done. But, the recruiting has been ok. So they get summer kudos from me. Will it be good enough? We will see... my guess is probably not.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 07-05-2018 08:37 AM

(07-04-2018 01:02 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 12:56 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 12:42 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  He's had consecutive great classes. The praise is about his recruiting. Developing talent and converting talent into wins is a different conversation. We're specifically talking about recruiting since that chapter is now closed for any reasonable person. JJ has absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail for two consecutive years now. There's no reasonable argument to the contrary.

Inseparable. One without the other has no meaning. Even the experts will tell you recruiting can only be evaluated at some point down the road, when game results start to mount up.

So call me unreasonable, but that chapter is not closed for reasons cited above.
I will agree it appears he's picked up his game, but for me the results are not final.

It doesn't really matter what happens. The goalposts will move...

We were only good bc Freeman feel into our lap
We can't recruit big men
We have to many players leave
We cant recruit shooters
We cant recruit grad transfers
Well, the recruiting is good, but we need to wait and see how they turn out

The goal posts have never moved, except by folks like you, who continually move them to try to find an argument for keeping a coach that has failed to make the tournament after over half a decade.

I am cautiously excited about the recruiting, but the reality is that I have yet to see anything on the court yet that makes me say, "yes, he has turned the corner". Maybe all these guys are as good as advertised and we win the conference this year and make the tournament and then sustain that success going forward, but maybe the guy from LSU is not capable of making an impact, and maybe Dickens can't mesh with JJ, and maybe a couple of the other guys transfer out before they become the studs we expect. None of that would be outside of the norm, so I am going to sit back and wait and see what happens on the court this year.

As for the goalpost? It is still sitting there waiting for JJ to get ODU to the NCAA Tournament. Right where it has always been. Its getting a little rusty, but it isn't going anywhere.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - T-Mac - 07-05-2018 10:15 AM

We could easily pull hundreds of posts critiquing JJ's inability to recruit a freshman big (then he recruited two highly rated prospects), then the goalposts were moved because he couldn't land a transfer big man (then he recruited two former 4* bigs), now it's we'll have to wait and see if these recruits develop into stars.

The ONLY critiques of JJ that are steadfast are his lack of conference championships and NCAAT appearances.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODUBB35 - 07-05-2018 10:34 AM

(07-05-2018 10:15 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  We could easily pull hundreds of posts critiquing JJ's inability to recruit a freshman big (then he recruited two highly rated prospects), then the goalposts were moved because he couldn't land a transfer big man (then he recruited two former 4* bigs), now it's we'll have to wait and see if these recruits develop into stars.

The ONLY critiques of JJ that are steadfast are his lack of conference championships and NCAAT appearances.

Yep. And that's the big one...

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Mr.BigBlue - 07-05-2018 10:50 AM

(07-05-2018 10:34 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(07-05-2018 10:15 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  We could easily pull hundreds of posts critiquing JJ's inability to recruit a freshman big (then he recruited two highly rated prospects), then the goalposts were moved because he couldn't land a transfer big man (then he recruited two former 4* bigs), now it's we'll have to wait and see if these recruits develop into stars.

Yep. And that's the big one...
EXACTLY.... right behind running a clean program.