CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 07-03-2018 09:05 AM

(07-03-2018 08:59 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  So if the NCAA grants this medical hardship waiver to him would that make him immediately eligible, or just sit out a year and pretend like the last season didn't happen?

I believe if the waiver is granted, then he was basically given a redshirt year. So if he doesn't play at all next year then he would still only have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Mr.BigBlue - 07-03-2018 09:56 AM

They could grant a waiver to him if he is transferring to be closer to a family member that might be suffering health wise. There are several conditions that would allow a transfer to play and not sit a year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jumpshooter - 07-03-2018 10:05 AM

Do we have room for anyone else?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Mr.BigBlue - 07-03-2018 10:11 AM

(07-03-2018 10:05 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Do we have room for anyone else?

That is debatable. Some have said BJ is not on scholarship. I believe he is. I think we are at our full complement of 13 scholarships.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Justanodufan - 07-03-2018 10:17 AM

(07-03-2018 09:56 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  They could grant a waiver to him if he is transferring to be closer to a family member that might be suffering health wise. There are several conditions that would allow a transfer to play and not sit a year.

NCAA has gone away from granting waivers for “ill” family members. They now just tack on an extra year.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Justanodufan - 07-03-2018 10:20 AM

(07-03-2018 08:38 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 08:34 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  My guess the school will go for a medical hardship waiver (medical redshirt), which they will ask for this off-season. He was shut down due to a bad back.

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

*The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
*The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
*The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
*The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
All of these must be proven with documentation.

Good research. Good news is he meets all that criteria, if the espn box score is accurate.

Providence has to start the waiver process (or at least work with OFU). Their doctors are the only ones who can provide documentation indicating if he could or could not play.

More than likely ODU will try to do a run off waiver. Which is rarely used, but often granted.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-03-2018 11:44 AM

Thanks for the info. The "run off" waiver softens the blow for athletes who find themselves out of a team due to oversigning, with over recruiting, or a coaching change. The need is for the coaches who cut the player, for athletic reasons to be willing to say it was their decision. Might help that PC recruits the 757 hard and doesn't want hard feelings with players coming from the area. Plus it doesn't cost them anything. This whole transfer happen at light speed, must of been talked thru.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-03-2018 11:48 AM

Either way we are looking at a five year, 4* player and that is huge.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 07-03-2018 03:57 PM

(07-03-2018 11:48 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Either way we are looking at a five year, 4* player and that is huge.

+1

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - T-Mac - 07-04-2018 08:39 AM

At this point there is absolutely no way anyone can reasonably criticize JJ for his recruiting. He has absolutely killed it lately.

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - 84Monarch - 07-04-2018 09:26 AM

(07-04-2018 08:39 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  At this point there is absolutely no way anyone can reasonably criticize JJ for his recruiting. He has absolutely killed it lately.

I know where you can get at least 40-1 against that statement05-stirthepot

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 07-04-2018 09:35 AM

The 2017 class was a pretty good class, but the 2018 was knocked out of the park. This is a tremendous class.

A stretch 4 that can really shoot.

A developmental low post player (4/5) that already has good size, but an excellent frame to build on and a developing inside/outside game. Ekikpe might be my favorite player of the group, but he could take time.

Local combo guard that can really score. Good size and has no pressure to play year 1.

Former top 100 grad transfer. 7 footer that should provide good rebounding down low

Former 150 big man that can really get out in transition. Should provide good rebounding/shot blocking/putbacks from day 1.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-04-2018 09:40 AM

This year's team will have 3 players who had offers from VCU and two with offers from UVa. But they're Monarchs. That's one of the measurements that some on here use.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Obiwan - 07-04-2018 10:10 AM

Glad somebody took the needle off the skipping record ... things are looking up for our Monarchs ... don’t let the swamp rats bring you into the drain.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Old Dominion - 07-04-2018 10:52 AM

Here comes King Rat!! Until these kids play and play at or near 3-4 star levels, nothing has actually happened. Potential? yes, tons, but I'm still a wait and see guy.

Also, One "atta boy" does not erase a thousand "ah shils." Hitting it out of the ball park every 6 years does nothing more than point out mediocrity. Now if he can do this with some consistency, I'll become a believer.

in 4,3,2,1...

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - T-Mac - 07-04-2018 12:42 PM

He's had consecutive great classes. The praise is about his recruiting. Developing talent and converting talent into wins is a different conversation. We're specifically talking about recruiting since that chapter is now closed for any reasonable person. JJ has absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail for two consecutive years now. There's no reasonable argument to the contrary.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Old Dominion - 07-04-2018 12:56 PM

(07-04-2018 12:42 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  He's had consecutive great classes. The praise is about his recruiting. Developing talent and converting talent into wins is a different conversation. We're specifically talking about recruiting since that chapter is now closed for any reasonable person. JJ has absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail for two consecutive years now. There's no reasonable argument to the contrary.

Inseparable. One without the other has no meaning. Even the experts will tell you recruiting can only be evaluated at some point down the road, when game results start to mount up.

So call me unreasonable, but that chapter is not closed for reasons cited above.
I will agree it appears he's picked up his game, but for me the results are not final.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 07-04-2018 01:02 PM

(07-04-2018 12:56 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 12:42 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  He's had consecutive great classes. The praise is about his recruiting. Developing talent and converting talent into wins is a different conversation. We're specifically talking about recruiting since that chapter is now closed for any reasonable person. JJ has absolutely killed it on the recruiting trail for two consecutive years now. There's no reasonable argument to the contrary.

Inseparable. One without the other has no meaning. Even the experts will tell you recruiting can only be evaluated at some point down the road, when game results start to mount up.

So call me unreasonable, but that chapter is not closed for reasons cited above.
I will agree it appears he's picked up his game, but for me the results are not final.

It doesn't really matter what happens. The goalposts will move...

We were only good bc Freeman feel into our lap
We can't recruit big men
We have to many players leave
We cant recruit shooters
We cant recruit grad transfers
Well, the recruiting is good, but we need to wait and see how they turn out

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - AdoptedMonarch - 07-04-2018 01:14 PM

I don't think either side can reasonably accuse the other of "moving goalposts". AD Selig and Coach Jones set those goalposts the moment he was hired -- as his big body and scrawny arms came out of the silhouette on the overhead scoreboard, promising us that he was ready to "get started" on turning us again into a national winner.

He then proceeded to exceed expectations for his first two seasons, meet expectations for his third season, followed by disappointing outcomes over the next three seasons.

It is time now for Coach Jones to deliver us an at-large worthy season. Is that an unfair expectation? Perhaps. But he (and Woody) can only look in the mirror as to who set those expectations.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - DaBigBlue - 07-04-2018 02:27 PM

You guys have a tread you can post all you want. Let's keep this tread about recruiting. If you want to add something about a recruit or the class, please do.