CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 (/thread-782180.html)

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-13-2018 05:38 PM

Excuse me sir,the FBI is on the line.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ETSUDB8-79 - 06-13-2018 05:48 PM

I don't follow this recruiting stuff (non ODU related) like some of you, so can someone better informed please help me out? I thought I had read that this kid was a junior and would be a 2019 recruit. Did he just decide to skip his senior year and the needed NCAA qualifying credits and skip off to WKU? How can he do that? Thanks for the help.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchist13 - 06-13-2018 06:22 PM

(06-13-2018 05:48 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  I don't follow this recruiting stuff (non ODU related) like some of you, so can someone better informed please help he out? I thought I had read that this kid was a junior and would be a 2019 recruit. Did he just decide to skip his senior year and the needed NCAA qualifying credits and skip off to WKU? How can he do that? Thanks for the help.

He had enough credits to graduate and has a high enough SAT/ACT score to qualify for the NCAA, so he graduated a year early. It's not all that different from the football players that enroll in January.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - CalODUFan - 06-13-2018 06:35 PM

(06-13-2018 06:22 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 05:48 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  I don't follow this recruiting stuff (non ODU related) like some of you, so can someone better informed please help he out? I thought I had read that this kid was a junior and would be a 2019 recruit. Did he just decide to skip his senior year and the needed NCAA qualifying credits and skip off to WKU? How can he do that? Thanks for the help.

He had enough credits to graduate and has a high enough SAT/ACT score to qualify for the NCAA, so he graduated a year early. It's not all that different from the football players that enroll in January.

There goes any hope for conference championship in the next few years. Stansbury and Kiffin are screwing the competition in this conference.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Razor Ramon Monarch - 06-13-2018 06:56 PM

(06-13-2018 06:35 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 06:22 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

There goes any hope for conference championship in the next few years. Stansbury and Kiffin are screwing the competition in this conference.

Don’t worry, I’m sure Jeff jones is formulating a game plan as we speak.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-13-2018 07:50 PM

(06-13-2018 05:48 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  I don't follow this recruiting stuff (non ODU related) like some of you, so can someone better informed please help me out? I thought I had read that this kid was a junior and would be a 2019 recruit. Did he just decide to skip his senior year and the needed NCAA qualifying credits and skip off to WKU? How can he do that? Thanks for the help.

Happens a decent amount in basketball that they have enough credits to graduate. Hard to do in football because you Need more physical maturity.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 06-13-2018 09:57 PM

(06-13-2018 05:38 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Excuse me sir,the FBI is on the line.
Link?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU True Blue - 06-13-2018 10:06 PM

(06-13-2018 09:57 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
Link?

Its a joke.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Monarchblue - 06-13-2018 10:10 PM

(06-13-2018 10:06 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
Link?

Its a joke.
I know. Meanwhile, they are recruiting circles around the league and it just sounds like sour grapes since there hasn't been so much as a peep about any investigations.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 06-14-2018 06:52 AM

Yeah, kind of weak the only thing we can "hope for" is for our fellow conference mate to get a full FBI investigation with penalties. I know it's a joke, but honestly having a 5 star commit to a CUSA school is a step in the right direction even if it doesn't benefit us. Now the question is what are Woody and JJ doing to keep up?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 06:57 AM

(06-13-2018 10:10 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 10:06 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
Link?

Its a joke.
I know. Meanwhile, they are recruiting circles around the league and it just sounds like sour grapes since there hasn't been so much as a peep about any investigations.

They were discussed in the FBI report.

http://wkuherald.com/sports/former-wku-commit-mitchell-robinson-mentioned-in-report-of-fbi/article_90e7449a-18ab-11e8-94d4-53bbb27fcb6f.amp.html

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 06:59 AM

(06-14-2018 06:52 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Yeah, kind of weak the only thing we can "hope for" is for our fellow conference mate to get a full FBI investigation with penalties. I know it's a joke, but honestly having a 5 star commit to a CUSA school is a step in the right direction even if it doesn't benefit us. Now the question is what are Woody and JJ doing to keep up?

You are going off the assumption that teams in CUSA (including us) cant beat them because of their recruiting. He still has to win.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - ODU BBALL - 06-14-2018 07:09 AM

(06-14-2018 06:59 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 06:52 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Yeah, kind of weak the only thing we can "hope for" is for our fellow conference mate to get a full FBI investigation with penalties. I know it's a joke, but honestly having a 5 star commit to a CUSA school is a step in the right direction even if it doesn't benefit us. Now the question is what are Woody and JJ doing to keep up?

You are going off the assumption that teams in CUSA (including us) cant beat them because of their recruiting. He still has to win.

So then .... how did WKU do against ODU last season? Who eliminated ODU from their only shot at getting to the NCAA Tournament (via winning the Conference Tournament)? Seems like they already have that covered as far as ODU is concerned.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 06-14-2018 07:20 AM

It's not really an assumption when we go 0-3 against them last year, each more embarrassing than the last. I should be questioning why do you assume we can beat them?

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 07:33 AM

(06-14-2018 07:09 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

So then .... how did WKU do against ODU last season? Who eliminated ODU from their only shot at getting to the NCAA Tournament (via winning the Conference Tournament)? Seems like they already have that covered as far as ODU is concerned.

How did we do the prior year? How did we do over the course of a full season? They had our number heads up and were a sightly better team overall. They still stayed home during the NCAAs. Its not like they are some conference giant (Gonzaga).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 07:35 AM

(06-14-2018 07:20 AM)odu09 Wrote:  

It's not really an assumption when we go 0-3 against them last year, each more embarrassing than the last. I should be questioning why do you assume we can beat them?

By that logic, Marshall cant beat us and they were in the tourney.

In reality, you are talking about a small number of games. If we played Marshall 100 times, how often would we beat them? (Same woth wKY).

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 06-14-2018 07:53 AM

(06-14-2018 07:35 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

In reality, you are talking about a small number of games. If we played Marshall 100 times, how often would we beat them? (Same woth wKY).

I'm not concerned with Marshall. I am convinced if we had Marshall in our side of the bracket, we would have won one more game. But I'm concerned with the team that just landed a 5 star recruit.

I was wondering if you would bring sample size into this. What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to tell you that we would lose 70 out of 100 games to WKU last year? There's nothing backing that up. But there's also nothing backing up the fact that Stansbury wouldn't outcoach JJ again either. There's no evidence to say that they won't sweep us again next season with a better team, while we will be worse. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to make that case though.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 08:34 AM

(06-14-2018 07:53 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 07:35 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I'm not concerned with Marshall. I am convinced if we had Marshall in our side of the bracket, we would have won one more game. But I'm concerned with the team that just landed a 5 star recruit.

I was wondering if you would bring sample size into this. What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to tell you that we would lose 70 out of 100 games to WKU last year? There's nothing backing that up. But there's also nothing backing up the fact that Stansbury wouldn't outcoach JJ again either. There's no evidence to say that they won't sweep us again next season with a better team, while we will be worse. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to make that case though.

My initial point was that it is no reason to panic and believe other teams don't have a chance against Western Kentucky. It's good for the conference as long as they aren't sanctioned.

This was a good score for WKY if Bassey can contribute right away. They were really light upfront and still don't have a ton of depth. If Bassey can play right away, they are probably the favorite in the conference, but there isn't a big gap between them and everyone else.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - jumpshooter - 06-14-2018 09:04 AM

What would you suggest they do? Cheat? Admit anyone? Broderick has already said he wants to win, but to do it cleanly across the board. I'm not as bothered by what ODU will do as what the other CUSA coaches and admins have not done. They'll tell you Stansbury isn't clean, but have they as a collective group turned them into the NCAA? My guess is no.
And before anyone goes off on the JJ can't do it tangent, many many of us have stated this is the last season for him and staff to get us to the dance. We're not settling for mediocrity.

RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 06-14-2018 09:18 AM

(06-14-2018 09:04 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  

What would you suggest they do? Cheat? Admit anyone? Broderick has already said he wants to win, but to do it cleanly across the board. I'm not as bothered by what ODU will do as what the other CUSA coaches and admins have not done. They'll tell you Stansbury isn't clean, but have they as a collective group turned them into the NCAA? My guess is no.
And before anyone goes off on the JJ can't do it tangent, many many of us have stated this is the last season for him and staff to get us to the dance. We're not settling for mediocrity.

Why would you think I am suggesting ODU cheats? There's no evidence saying WKU is cheating. So until then, we as their peers should be able to do the same. If we cannot do the same then we are clearly worse than them which means something has to change. I might be saying the same thing as you "we're not settling for mediocrity" but in a different way. So far Stansbury has shown he is both a better recruiter and a better in-game coach than Jones.

Wow, our president says he wants to win cleanly? Thank goodness. Glad we got that cleared up.