CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-27-2017 12:20 PM

It was probably Smoltz. I don't care for him, but it's mostly for his Anti Yankee bias. In fairness if it was the same team thats ruined all my chances to win a title i'd probably hate them too :)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 01:20 PM

(10-27-2017 12:06 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I agree that analytics should only be used to a point. But the Dodgers are a heavy analytics team and are in the World Series, so clearly it works for them the overwhelming majority of the time.

Note that I wasn't ripping you guys, I was talking about the so-called baseball analysts. I'm not sure who all the color guys are for the series, but after Roberts pulled Hill, one of them was just like "I just don't get it. I get that's what the numbers say but I don't agree with it." Well, analytics are part of the furniture of the game. It's your job as an analyst, especially in a World Series game, to try to understand it. Yet you have these guys acting like when you hand your Mom a TV remote that is more complex than the one they were used to growing up, and they shake their heads like "No, I don't want to try to figure it out."

The one area where analytics has been wrong has been for top-flight hitters. Take Vlad Guerrero for instance. Analytics guys don't like Vlad as much as other great hitters because they think he should have taken more walks. But when you have a transcendent hitter, the rules don't apply to him. You let Vlad swing the bat. Vlad could take bad pitches way out of the zone and turn them into doubles and homers. He's a bonafide first ballot Hall of Famer.

Taking a lot of walks can take so-so hitters and turn them into very productive players. But it doesn't take great hitters and make them better. It actually is counter-productive.

But at the same time, while some people bemoan that analytics has taken a lot of the decisions out of the hands of the managers, many times that's a good thing. Some guys, like Dusty Baker, for instance, try to "over-manage" at times and it fails time and again. Those dinosaur types of managers just aren't useful in today's game.

I don't know if I agree with everything you said, but I generally agree with this summary. Maddon references this as outcome bias, and I agree that you go with the approach that got you there, win or lose.

An example of where I want to see an analytics-minded manager incorporate his baseball intuition is "manufacturing runs". I forget the opponent, but here was Cubs game in late July or early August that was 0-0 going into the 8th. Cubs get their lead off guy on second base with no one out. 1 run wins this game, and they didn't sacrifice because "you don't give away outs in today's baseball." The Cubs were in a race where the division lead is less than 5 games, and they lose because a computer model says they have a better chance of scoring multiple runs by swinging. That's when I long for old-fashioned baseball.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 01:21 PM

(10-27-2017 12:20 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  It was probably Smoltz. I don't care for him, but it's mostly for his Anti Yankee bias. In fairness if it was the same team thats ruined all my chances to win a title i'd probably hate them too :)

I like Smoltz in the booth. It was definitely him though.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-27-2017 01:31 PM

(10-27-2017 01:20 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(10-27-2017 12:06 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I agree that analytics should only be used to a point. But the Dodgers are a heavy analytics team and are in the World Series, so clearly it works for them the overwhelming majority of the time.

Note that I wasn't ripping you guys, I was talking about the so-called baseball analysts. I'm not sure who all the color guys are for the series, but after Roberts pulled Hill, one of them was just like "I just don't get it. I get that's what the numbers say but I don't agree with it." Well, analytics are part of the furniture of the game. It's your job as an analyst, especially in a World Series game, to try to understand it. Yet you have these guys acting like when you hand your Mom a TV remote that is more complex than the one they were used to growing up, and they shake their heads like "No, I don't want to try to figure it out."

The one area where analytics has been wrong has been for top-flight hitters. Take Vlad Guerrero for instance. Analytics guys don't like Vlad as much as other great hitters because they think he should have taken more walks. But when you have a transcendent hitter, the rules don't apply to him. You let Vlad swing the bat. Vlad could take bad pitches way out of the zone and turn them into doubles and homers. He's a bonafide first ballot Hall of Famer.

Taking a lot of walks can take so-so hitters and turn them into very productive players. But it doesn't take great hitters and make them better. It actually is counter-productive.

But at the same time, while some people bemoan that analytics has taken a lot of the decisions out of the hands of the managers, many times that's a good thing. Some guys, like Dusty Baker, for instance, try to "over-manage" at times and it fails time and again. Those dinosaur types of managers just aren't useful in today's game.

I don't know if I agree with everything you said, but I generally agree with this summary. Maddon references this as outcome bias, and I agree that you go with the approach that got you there, win or lose.

An example of where I want to see an analytics-minded manager incorporate his baseball intuition is "manufacturing runs". I forget the opponent, but here was Cubs game in late July or early August that was 0-0 going into the 8th. Cubs get their lead off guy on second base with no one out. 1 run wins this game, and they didn't sacrifice because "you don't give away outs in today's baseball." The Cubs were in a race where the division lead is less than 5 games, and they lose because a computer model says they have a better chance of scoring multiple runs by swinging. That's when I long for old-fashioned baseball.

But 1 run wouldn't have won the game. As you stated, it was the 8th inning. If it had been the 9th, the bunt would have been the proper call.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-27-2017 01:55 PM

(10-27-2017 01:31 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(10-27-2017 01:20 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

But 1 run wouldn't have won the game. As you stated, it was the 8th inning. If it had been the 9th, the bunt would have been the proper call.
yes, but that's where common sense applies. When you have Wade Davis and it's the 8th inning, you score 1 run the likelihood of winning the game becomes significant. This is the very thing that drove me crazy about Girardi, always waiting for the HR. Teams shifted every single player on the yanks because no one will bunt. They have two of the better base stealers in the game in Ellsbury and Gardner, but yet they never steal either!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 02:41 PM

I don't recall whether it was top or bottom of the 8th, but I know the Cubs didn't score, and I can't say for certain that the final score was 1-0. But, if I've been dominated for 7 innings, but my pitcher kept me in the game, I'm going to manufacture a run there. To me, an NBA analogy fits. 30 seconds left on the game clock, tie game, what do you do? Let's say you're the prolific Warriors! Any time Steph takes a shot it's high percentage, but if he's struggling (i.e. 0-0 baseball game in the 8th), do I want him taking a 3 because I know that at worst the other team can only tie? Or, can I draw up something mid-range for KD? Opposing team is going to get the ball back with a chance to win the game if I go with KD, but I'd rather put the pressure on them by taking an easier shot regardless of Steph's season shooting percentage.

Analogy probably comes apart on many levels. I haven't thought it through, but in the 8th, I'd rather take the chance of winning the game 1-0 than hoping someone other than Rizzo or Bryant deliver a base hit. For the record, it wasn't Rizzo or Bryant that I wanted to bunt.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-27-2017 08:19 PM

Well, hangover game for the Dodgers for sure. Astros got Dodgers to go to the pen in the SECOND inning. That's gonna give the 'stros a ton of confidence playing at home. Gonna need a heck of an offensive game the rest of the way for the Dodgers. Looking like an Astros 2-1 series lead already. A lot of game left though.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-28-2017 12:25 AM

The Dodgers ability to restrict the 'Stros to one run between the 3rd and 9th inning was astounding considering the offensive surge that booted Darvish in the 2nd. Looked like a blowout in the works and turned out to be a good game.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-30-2017 06:55 AM

Are we heading to back to back World Series game 7's?

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-30-2017 07:15 AM

(10-30-2017 06:55 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Are we heading to back to back World Series game 7's?

This series is just nuts! Every typical rule of "baseball momentum" has been tossed out the window for this series.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-30-2017 07:38 AM

(10-30-2017 07:15 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 06:55 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Are we heading to back to back World Series game 7's?

This series is just nuts! Every typical rule of "baseball momentum" has been tossed out the window for this series.

Last night was like watching a five hour heavyweight boxing match where both boxers are the monster Russian from Rocky.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - EvanJ - 10-30-2017 09:32 AM

The last time that happened was 2001 and 2002. Before that you have to back to three in a row from 1985 to 1987. There have been eight groups of at least two consecutive World Series that all went 7 games.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-30-2017 10:08 AM

If Houston doesn't close this out in 6, I think the advantage shifts back to LA. I picked LA to win, but Houston has to feel great with a chance to clinch with Verlander on the mound. You probably wouldn't feel any better if you were up two games in the NCLS, at home with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood scheduled to start.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-30-2017 11:21 AM

This Series has had two of the top 5 World Series games ever played, if not the top 2. Just amazing.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - solohawks - 10-30-2017 11:37 AM

What time did that game end last night. It was after 11 and they were still in the 6th

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-30-2017 12:34 PM

(10-30-2017 11:37 AM)solohawks Wrote:  What time did that game end last night. It was after 11 and they were still in the 6th

5 hours, 17 mins. So that would put it about 1:30. I fell asleep at 7-7 in the 6th and that was 1130

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-31-2017 06:56 AM

(10-30-2017 12:34 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-30-2017 11:37 AM)solohawks Wrote:  What time did that game end last night. It was after 11 and they were still in the 6th

5 hours, 17 mins. So that would put it about 1:30. I fell asleep at 7-7 in the 6th and that was 1130

Yeah, it was 1:30. I'm working nights right now so it was easy for me to stay awake and watch it.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-31-2017 12:17 PM

Who ya guys got? Houston champ or onto game 7?

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-31-2017 01:08 PM

I picked LA to start, but Houston has been able to touch up LA's pen, and Verlander is on the bump for Houston. I'm going with Houston tonight, but Verlander has to go at least 7.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-01-2017 07:37 AM

I'm amazed the Dodger bullpen had any gas left last night, even with the day off on Monday.

Dave Roberts stuck with the plan for Rich Hill and it paid off again. But now they need Yu Darvish to come up big.