CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-25-2017 10:05 AM

(10-25-2017 09:31 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(10-25-2017 08:46 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  08 Does it burn you to see former Mets turn into way better players after they leave. I'm thinking of 2 in particular, Turner and Murphy.

Murphy no. Turner yes.

Murphy is still a defensive liability. Always was gonna be that way. He also hit his apex with the Mets during that magical postseason. What, exactly, has he accomplished since? Nice lefty hitter but it was the right move to let him walk, both at the time and in hindsight.

Turner would have been a centerpiece at third base after David Wright began his decline.
LOL Mets fans are so salty on Murphy, what has he accomplished since? Either of his last two years offensive production would have by far been the best on the Mets either year(most teams last year 16)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-25-2017 11:31 AM

.322/23/93
.347/25/104

What has he accomplished since......
Not to mention his oWAR far exceeds his dWAR

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-25-2017 12:46 PM

Accomplishment: NL Pennant.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-25-2017 12:47 PM

I've been nice this postseason, Hoops. Keep that in mind while going out of your way to open up old wounds, lol.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-25-2017 01:40 PM

I tend to agree that Murphy is accomplished since leaving. I doubt Washington regrets his signing. He's two years into a three year deal, and has been very productive. A pennant for a player also means guys like Harper and Trout are unaccomplished.

I've got no skin in the game though. I will forever hate Daniel Murphy after 2015.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-25-2017 03:16 PM

(10-25-2017 12:47 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I've been nice this postseason, Hoops. Keep that in mind while going out of your way to open up old wounds, lol.

I know you have been nice, and i'm not trying to be an ass. My buddy here at work is a big Mets fan too and is in denial about Murphy. I just don't get it. The Mets made a mistake on not resigning him IMO. Winning the pennant requires a ton of help from your teammates. Turner is a very good player(similar stats to Murphy) he's just got a supporting cast that has performed in the PS.

I don't really have a dog in this fight either. Was Turner blocked because of Wright? Is that why he was expendable?

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-25-2017 03:25 PM

(10-25-2017 03:16 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I don't really have a dog in this fight either. Was Turner blocked because of Wright? Is that why he was expendable?

I'm actually not sure what the full backstory was with Turner. He certainly showed flashes with the organization, though his average was .265 over 4 seasons. Seems to me it was simply a failure to properly assess his talent level and potential.

His arrival in Los Angeles was just as strange. Evidently Tim Wallach (bench coach) saw him hitting at Cal State Fullerton Alumni game in 2014 while Turner was still a free agent, and they decided to sign him then.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2017 07:48 AM

What a crazy crazy game! One i'm sad i did not stay up for.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-26-2017 08:02 AM

(10-26-2017 07:48 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  What a crazy crazy game! One i'm sad i did not stay up for.

An instant classic! I barely could keep my eyes open but I'm glad I did. That was a ton of fun.

What a great series so far. These 2 teams are certainly validating themselves as the true top 2 teams in baseball this year.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2017 08:24 AM

(10-26-2017 08:02 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(10-26-2017 07:48 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  What a crazy crazy game! One i'm sad i did not stay up for.

An instant classic! I barely could keep my eyes open but I'm glad I did. That was a ton of fun.

What a great series so far. These 2 teams are certainly validating themselves as the true top 2 teams in baseball this year.

In the 6th, Verlander had given up 2 hits, and was down 3-1 as they were both HR. Crazy. Agree, the right two teams are there. Yanks had a nice run, but there is no doubt Houston is a better team this year.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2017 08:02 PM

Glad Joey Binder got the boot, but surprised they actually did it!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-26-2017 08:08 PM

I see the coaching carousel is off to a decent start!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 07:49 AM

After the flack Maddon got last year, I'm surprised no one on the board is questioning Roberts' decisions on Wednesday.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-27-2017 08:20 AM

(10-27-2017 07:49 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  After the flack Maddon got last year, I'm surprised no one on the board is questioning Roberts' decisions on Wednesday.
unfortunately i didn't get to see the end, but i've seen people questioning him going to his closer too soon.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-27-2017 09:24 AM

I'm not sure why people would question decisions like that now. This is how the Dodgers have operated all season long, and how they got to this point in the first place.

The anti-analytics crowd is always funny to me. The minute a team loses a game they want to scrap the whole thing.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-27-2017 09:49 AM

(10-27-2017 09:24 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I'm not sure why people would question decisions like that now. This is how the Dodgers have operated all season long, and how they got to this point in the first place.

The anti-analytics crowd is always funny to me. The minute a team loses a game they want to scrap the whole thing.

Kenly only pitched more than 1.1 3x all season, one was the other night.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 10:06 AM

(10-27-2017 09:24 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I'm not sure why people would question decisions like that now. This is how the Dodgers have operated all season long, and how they got to this point in the first place.

That's not true. They didn't get to first place by pulling the starter in the 4th inning because "that's the game plan" going in. And, as Hoops said, they didn't ask Jansen for 6 outs in the regular season. That's not a criticism; by default you manage the playoffs differently than you manage the regular season because you know have more off days. But, IMO, you simply can't pull Hill after four despite how his stuff is, because that's what the numbers tell you to do. Analytics are important, but why have a baseball guy in charge of the decision if analytics trump baseball intuition?

I'm not criticizing Roberts. I still have them winning the WS, but I hate pulling a pitcher after four innings because that it was pre-determined before you ever saw him throw a pitch.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-27-2017 10:10 AM

(10-27-2017 10:06 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

That's not true. They didn't get to first place by pulling the starter in the 4th inning because "that's the game plan" going in. And, as Hoops said, they didn't ask Jansen for 6 outs in the regular season. That's not a criticism; by default you manage the playoffs differently than you manage the regular season because you know have more off days. But, IMO, you simply can't pull Hill after four despite how his stuff is, because that's what the numbers tell you to do. Analytics are important, but why have a baseball guy in charge of the decision if analytics trump baseball intuition?

I'm not criticizing Roberts. I still have them winning the WS, but I hate pulling a pitcher after four innings because that it was pre-determined before you ever saw him throw a pitch.
I agree with you on Hill, what i've heard is Hill's numbers 3x through were significantly worse and that's why they did it. Numbers are good, but it's best to have a combo of common sense, and numbers. If Hill has worse numbers 3x through, you just put him on a shorter leash. Girardi did the same with CC in game two in Clev, pulled him too early and everyone knows what happened next.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-27-2017 10:30 AM

For the record, I'm not anti analytics. They have a place in baseball, but not every result of analytics is good for the game. There are plenty of intelligent baseball people that have cringed at some of the new trends as well (Smoltz and Showalter being two very smart guys that fall in that category). More than I'm being "anti-analytics" or criticizing Roberts, I'm feeling justified in my defense of Joe last year. Joe had very few options in the pen, unlike LA and Roberts this year, but was criticized for overusing the ONE guy he could really trust.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-27-2017 12:06 PM

I agree that analytics should only be used to a point. But the Dodgers are a heavy analytics team and are in the World Series, so clearly it works for them the overwhelming majority of the time.

Note that I wasn't ripping you guys, I was talking about the so-called baseball analysts. I'm not sure who all the color guys are for the series, but after Roberts pulled Hill, one of them was just like "I just don't get it. I get that's what the numbers say but I don't agree with it." Well, analytics are part of the furniture of the game. It's your job as an analyst, especially in a World Series game, to try to understand it. Yet you have these guys acting like when you hand your Mom a TV remote that is more complex than the one they were used to growing up, and they shake their heads like "No, I don't want to try to figure it out."

The one area where analytics has been wrong has been for top-flight hitters. Take Vlad Guerrero for instance. Analytics guys don't like Vlad as much as other great hitters because they think he should have taken more walks. But when you have a transcendent hitter, the rules don't apply to him. You let Vlad swing the bat. Vlad could take bad pitches way out of the zone and turn them into doubles and homers. He's a bonafide first ballot Hall of Famer.

Taking a lot of walks can take so-so hitters and turn them into very productive players. But it doesn't take great hitters and make them better. It actually is counter-productive.

But at the same time, while some people bemoan that analytics has taken a lot of the decisions out of the hands of the managers, many times that's a good thing. Some guys, like Dusty Baker, for instance, try to "over-manage" at times and it fails time and again. Those dinosaur types of managers just aren't useful in today's game.