CSNbbs
UAB Coaching Search - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: UAB Coaching Search (/thread-775475.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

UAB Coaching Search - Blazer85 - 03-25-2016 09:04 PM

Haase will probably be remembered more for his class and character more than on the court success. Having said that, he wasn't and isn't a bad coach. I think he still has much to learn.

I find it interesting that 2 of our last 3 coaches parlayed their success at UAB into pretty big coaching gigs at the likes of Missouri and Stanford. Not bad for a program that our detractors would say is average at best.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - LairDweller - 03-25-2016 09:05 PM

(03-25-2016 09:04 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  Haase will probably be remembered more for his class and character more than on the court success. Having said that, he wasn't and isn't a bad coach. I think he still has much to learn.

I find it interesting that 2 of our last 3 coaches parlayed their success at UAB into pretty big coaching gigs at the likes of Missouri and Stanford. Not bad for a program that our detractors would say is average at best.

Well, 2 of the last 4 is pretty average

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Hopeful - 03-25-2016 10:33 PM

(03-25-2016 08:56 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I've always thought the only reason he would stick around was that he was mediocre. I always figured he would be gone the minute he found success. I thought this would year's finish bought us one more year, but I was wrong.

I also believe the next guy hired will be gone as soon as he is successful. Moving on is not a defect of the coach's character. It reflects on the type of program we are. Frankly, I don't want a coach who is willing to settle on being a CUSA coach all his life.

This sums it up for me, except that I really only expected him to stay until the core of his talent moved on. It wasn't surprising to find out that he was in the running for a better job, but I was surprised the offer came through if only because I felt like the sample size really didn't paint that rosy a picture just yet. Regardless, I was pretty confident he'd be ghost if an offer from a good school came through.

Aside from the obvious reasons, I was cool with Haase because of his vision. He believed we could be more and always seemed eager to work in pursuit of such. Can't fault him for moving on, and he had a nice run here.

On the bright side, at least we have a program in a power conference that may be easier to schedule.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Memphis Blazer - 03-25-2016 11:18 PM

I've seen people mention him scheduling A UAB Stanford game. I don't think it happens. He isn't going to want to play against his old players and it isn't fair to them either. Maybe down the road, although that's what Anderson said, and it hasn't happened either.

UAB bought out a scheduled game against Texas Southern when they hired Davis to keep the players from facing their old coach.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - blazerjay - 03-26-2016 12:21 AM

(03-25-2016 11:18 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I've seen people mention him scheduling A UAB Stanford game. I don't think it happens. He isn't going to want to play against his old players and it isn't fair to them either. Maybe down the road, although that's what Anderson said, and it hasn't happened either.

UAB bought out a scheduled game against Texas Southern when they hired Davis to keep the players from facing their old coach.

Haase said it on WJOX...If Ehsan is coach a game or games will most likely happen. We'll see, I realize most likely is not definitely and that he placed no year in which the possible game(s) may occur.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - FNblazer - 03-26-2016 12:46 PM

(03-25-2016 01:04 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  This will move very fast.

So Eshan had two boxes of Krispy Kremes shipped to Ingram yesterday?

I'm concerned about keeping Rob Williams on staff as part of the program. Hope the new coach does that.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - FNblazer - 03-26-2016 12:48 PM

(03-25-2016 01:55 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 11:48 AM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  This transition comes at a critical time for UAB basketball. We are recruiting against Pearl and Johnson to be the dominate basketball force in Alabama. This have to be a splash hire, If you have the ears of the UAB AD, tell him to look no further than Auburn for the next UAB Coach.

Chuck Conner Person, the Rifleman, State of Alabama legend. NBA all star. His Asst Coach stops , Cavaliers, Pacers Kings and Lakers. He is the top Asst and recruiter for Auburn, and is considered the Auburn coach in waiting. He is the first cousin of the Auburn' Wileys, and the sole reason Wiley committed to Auburn..If UAB could get Chuck Person to come to the South side, It would be the splash hire UAB needs.

Duri g the Auburn search Person was eliminated because he did not have his degree...

That's what Thomas Edison College is for. 05-stirthepot

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Big Dee - 03-26-2016 12:50 PM

(03-26-2016 12:48 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 01:55 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 11:48 AM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  This transition comes at a critical time for UAB basketball. We are recruiting against Pearl and Johnson to be the dominate basketball force in Alabama. This have to be a splash hire, If you have the ears of the UAB AD, tell him to look no further than Auburn for the next UAB Coach.

Chuck Conner Person, the Rifleman, State of Alabama legend. NBA all star. His Asst Coach stops , Cavaliers, Pacers Kings and Lakers. He is the top Asst and recruiter for Auburn, and is considered the Auburn coach in waiting. He is the first cousin of the Auburn' Wileys, and the sole reason Wiley committed to Auburn..If UAB could get Chuck Person to come to the South side, It would be the splash hire UAB needs.

Duri g the Auburn search Person was eliminated because he did not have his degree...

That's what Thomas Edison College is for. 05-stirthepot

Actually some sports academy.......

RE: UAB Coaching Search - WesternBlazer - 03-26-2016 02:18 PM

Jim Dunaway
‏@jimdunaway Jim Dunaway Retweeted Jerod Haase
The names I'm hearing that are interested in the UAB job is very impressive. Guys with Big Dance HC experience too

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken
Dan Wolken Retweeted Jim Dunaway
The roster is set up in such a way that someone could come in for two years and bounce to a Power 5

What we don't need - someone who doesn't intend to invest themselves into the program. Leave eventually, but to have an exit plan as soon as he gets the job...no.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Dracorex - 03-26-2016 02:32 PM

(03-26-2016 12:21 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 11:18 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I've seen people mention him scheduling A UAB Stanford game. I don't think it happens. He isn't going to want to play against his old players and it isn't fair to them either. Maybe down the road, although that's what Anderson said, and it hasn't happened either.

Haase said it on WJOX...If Ehsan is coach a game or games will most likely happen. We'll see, I realize most likely is not definitely and that he placed no year in which the possible game(s) may occur.

After the Norton, Lee, Cokley, etc. class graduates, but not earlier. Probably not until after Smallwood graduates too.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - LairDweller - 03-26-2016 03:41 PM

i can never remember...in the past, what was the timeframe between our basketball coaches leaving and new ones being named?

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Smaug - 03-26-2016 03:44 PM

(03-26-2016 03:41 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  i can never remember...in the past, what was the timeframe between our basketball coaches leaving and new ones being named?

IIRC, From McGee to Clark was 11 or 12 days.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - the_blazerman - 03-26-2016 03:44 PM

From Clark to Clark was 6 months.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Motley Blazer - 03-26-2016 03:55 PM

(03-26-2016 03:41 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  i can never remember...in the past, what was the timeframe between our basketball coaches leaving and new ones being named?

Davis to Haase 10 days

RE: UAB Coaching Search - UAB Band Dad - 03-26-2016 04:01 PM

Yeah, ten days to two weeks sounds right.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Memphis Blazer - 03-26-2016 04:04 PM

13 days between Anderson and Davis.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - LairDweller - 03-26-2016 04:14 PM

Thanks guys

RE: UAB Coaching Search - Jball - 03-26-2016 04:20 PM

FWIW.. WKU beat writer said we offered the job to Rick Stansbury and he declined. Will be named WKU coach on Monday.

RE: UAB Coaching Search - LairDweller - 03-26-2016 04:28 PM

(03-26-2016 04:20 PM)Jball Wrote:  FWIW.. WKU beat writer said we offered the job to Rick Stansbury and he declined. Will be named WKU coach on Monday.

I'm sure that happened

RE: UAB Coaching Search - UAB Band Dad - 03-26-2016 04:32 PM

Snicker.