CSNbbs
The Republican Establishment and Trump - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: The Republican Establishment and Trump (/thread-772463.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Republican Establishment and Trump - Dasville - 03-02-2016 05:47 PM

When it comes down to it, will MR vote for Clinton? I think he might. Would that hurt Trump's chances?

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - bullet - 03-02-2016 05:56 PM

Clinton is a vast left wing evil nut case.

Trump's problem isn't Republicans voting for Clinton. Its Republicans not voting.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Dasville - 03-02-2016 06:00 PM

It is a clarifying question though, is it not?

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - olliebaba - 03-02-2016 06:02 PM

(03-02-2016 05:56 PM)bullet Wrote:  Clinton is a vast left wing evil nut case.

Trump's problem isn't Republicans voting for Clinton. Its Republicans not voting.

Donald is a Lib in sheeps clothing and you're all falling for it.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Dasville - 03-02-2016 06:14 PM

(03-02-2016 06:02 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  

Is any other Lib better than Clinton?

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - olliebaba - 03-02-2016 06:16 PM

There's no good Lib. So I don't know.

Hey, Harry Reid. Oh, not him, sorry.

LOL 03-wink

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Dasville - 03-02-2016 06:21 PM

Would the Democratic Establishment back Sanders?

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - olliebaba - 03-02-2016 06:25 PM

(03-02-2016 06:21 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Would the Democratic Establishment back Sanders?

They backed obama, so why not?

Only difference was the shade of skin.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-02-2016 06:31 PM

Carson and Cruz are the only ones still running on the GOP side excused from that criticism. And Carson has his own issues (S.D.A.) and while I think Cruz would be the best from a theoretical "will they cut anything?" standpoint ... I still see Cruz as trimming around the edges and not tackling the real issues while continuing our bad policies on civil liberties and war and maybe even reversing policy gains socially made under Obama.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Dasville - 03-02-2016 06:32 PM

(03-02-2016 06:25 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 06:21 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Would the Democratic Establishment back Sanders?

They backed obama, so why not?

Only difference was the shade of skin.

Which "Establishment" would rather lose with the wrong candidate than win with the wrong one?

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - bullet - 03-02-2016 06:53 PM

(03-02-2016 06:14 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

Is any other Lib better than Clinton?

Just about anybody but Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.
Biden would be better. Diane Finestein would be better.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - bullet - 03-02-2016 06:58 PM

(03-02-2016 06:31 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Carson and Cruz are the only ones still running on the GOP side excused from that criticism. And Carson has his own issues (S.D.A.) and while I think Cruz would be the best from a theoretical "will they cut anything?" standpoint ... I still see Cruz as trimming around the edges and not tackling the real issues while continuing our bad policies on civil liberties and war and maybe even reversing policy gains socially made under Obama.

Kind of jumping off the deep end aren't you?

Marco is nearly as conservative as Cruz. He rates the same as Huckabee on this scale and more conservative than Rick Perry. Saw a separate article that said he was the 16th most conservative Senator.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/marco-rubio-the-electable-conservative/

Maybe he doesn't score well on your libertarian ratings, but saying he's not conservative is pretty ridiculous.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - firmbizzle - 03-02-2016 07:02 PM

So Hill is the conservative.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - adcorbett - 03-02-2016 07:10 PM

This election seems familiar. I guess that is because I am a movie buff, because I have seen both of these movies before. They were Brewster's Millions and The Distinguished Gentleman.

In Brewster's Millions (1985, as there are several versions), Montgomery Brewster runs for mayor of New York with no real platform, no policy, no details: no real plan. He ran on the premise that the other candidates were so bad, everyone should vote for "none of the above, " which in this case is a vote for Trump.

Meanwhile Hilary Clinton, not to be outdone, is running what might be an even more devious campaign. Hers is based on on the premise of The Distinguished Gentlemen, where an unknown man runs for congress on the sole basis that his name is similar to the person who recently vacated the post (he died). His entire campaign slogan "Jeff Johnson, the name you know."

So what happens next? On the one hand, Brewster's Millions was by far the better movie. And "none of the above" won the election. But the last time the Brewster's strategy was tried by H. Ross Perot, he came up short. On the other hand Hilary Clinton just borrowed this strategy from our most recent former president, when it got him elected. And like the movie, no one really noticed it was not the same person since he kept all of the same people around, and did everything the same, and pretended to be the same person.

The future is not pretty either way.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - HeartOfDixie - 03-02-2016 07:44 PM

I'm convinced that the GOP leadership and power brokers have to be completely purged. They are corrupt and incompetent.

I'll vote Democrat if it moves that process along.

You don't elect slightly less malignant tumors in the hopes of being cured; you cut out the tumor.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-02-2016 08:33 PM

(03-02-2016 06:58 PM)bullet Wrote:  Kind of jumping off the deep end aren't you?

Marco is nearly as conservative as Cruz. He rates the same as Huckabee on this scale and more conservative than Rick Perry. Saw a separate article that said he was the 16th most conservative Senator.

Maybe he doesn't score well on your libertarian ratings, but saying he's not conservative is pretty ridiculous.

When I see Marco Rubio -- particularly his talking points in debates he reflexively utters and his rehearsed election night speeches -- I don't see the same guy who came in with the tea party wave. Well, physically, I see the same guy. But what I hear is the same speeches from the same people who wrote them for Dubya while he was in office. I genuinely believe Rubio has been fully co-opted by the establishment.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-02-2016 08:45 PM

(03-02-2016 08:33 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 06:58 PM)bullet Wrote:  Kind of jumping off the deep end aren't you?
When I see Marco Rubio -- particularly his talking points in debates he reflexively utters and his rehearsed election night speeches -- I don't see the same guy who came in with the tea party wave. Well, physically, I see the same guy. But what I hear is the same speeches from the same people who wrote them for Dubya while he was in office. I genuinely believe Rubio has been fully co-opted by the establishment.

I agree. This just ain't the same guy. I liked the old one a lot better.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - pharaoh0 - 03-02-2016 08:51 PM

(03-02-2016 08:33 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

I will actually agree. I think the establishment foresaw the Tea Party as a sticking point in the next POTUS election and they decided to coopt the movement through a newly elected Congressman. In exchange for cover on their policies (especially immigration), he would get money to run a presidential campaign. He sold out. And all you have to know is that his strategy to "win" a state (VA) relied on the lobbyists and establishment insiders of the counties around DC. The only thing more amusing than Rubio's wind up lever is that the Cruz people want to support the establishment that he represents if their guy has to drop out.

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-02-2016 08:51 PM

(03-02-2016 08:45 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I agree. This just ain't the same guy. I liked the old one a lot better.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. He spent like 2 minutes last night on Iran and Israel. JFC. I asked a few of my friends online and they were all like "is it just me, or did it sound like David Frum wrote that speech?"

RE: The Republican Establishment and Trump - Smaug - 03-02-2016 09:21 PM

I don't like the establishment, either, but I don't hate them enough to want Donald J. ******* Trump as President of the United States.

Donny boy. Leader of the free world. Jesus wept.