CSNbbs
C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances (/thread-767713.html)

C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - Dragonz Lair - 01-23-2016 01:34 AM

WKU - 22 *
UTEP - 17
UAB - 15
ODU - 12
Charlotte - 11
Middle Tenn - 7
La Tech - 5
Texas SA - 4
Marshall - 4
Rice - 4
Southern Miss - 3
North Texas - 3
Florida Atlantic - 1
Florida International - 1

NOTE: WKU had 23 trips but their 1971 Final Four appearance was later vacated by the NCAA

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - GO_MONARKS - 01-23-2016 10:40 AM

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - Dawgxas - 01-23-2016 10:59 AM

Basketball has changed so much since then, Seven footers playing outside and shooting threes. Curry made two longer than halfcourt shots last night, that kid is incredible

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - HogDawg - 01-23-2016 11:43 AM

(01-23-2016 10:40 AM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting that video.

I'm guessing "Jerry Dunn" is a name that lives in WKU infamy? If he makes that free throw with the score tied and 4 seconds left in regulation, WKU wins.

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - GO_MONARKS - 01-23-2016 01:09 PM

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - BlueRaiderBoy - 01-23-2016 01:17 PM

(01-23-2016 01:09 PM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  

That's why UTEP's name ought to still be TEXAS WESTERN UNIVERSITY! That was the classic David vs. Goliath moment in NCAA Sports. If memory serves (and yes, I am that old) Rupp had to integrate Basketball at Ky. as a result of their loss to Texas Western and its all-black starting 5!

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - WKUYG - 01-23-2016 02:38 PM

(01-23-2016 01:17 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  

That's why UTEP's name ought to still be TEXAS WESTERN UNIVERSITY! That was the classic David vs. Goliath moment in NCAA Sports. If memory serves (and yes, I am that old) Rupp had to integrate Basketball at Ky. as a result of their loss to Texas Western and its all-black starting 5!

That game never happens if a game wasn't stolen from Western on a jump ball foul call....

no not off the ball but on the guy jumping. No way KY beats Western because Western was basically Texas Western ...with a couple white guys.

Here's how one news paper called it

"8. 1966 Mideast Region round of 16, Michigan 80, Western Kentucky 79. With 11 seconds left and WKU up one — in a game where a win would set up a round-of-eight meeting with UK's Rupp's Runts — Western's Greg Smith and Michigan's Cazzie Russell were to contest a jump ball. Rather than jump to control the tip, Russell grabbed Smith by the arm, pulling the Western player into his shoulder. Referee Steve Honzo called Smith for a foul. Russell hit both foul shots and WKU star Clem Haskins missed a potential game-winning jumper. In 2008, a New York Times article described Honzo's foul call as "one of the worst calls in NCAA Tournament history."

9+ minute video the call is at the end of it

------------------------------------

Dawgxas Western would fit right in with todays style...Big Mac was 7ft but he could run, jump, hit the outside shot. A lot of his points would be 3s today...he loved the baseline corner.

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - Flat Tire 2 - 01-23-2016 03:21 PM

(01-23-2016 01:17 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  

Watched the game on TV with my best friend and his father who had played for UK and Rupp (Rupp had coached UK for ever). I remember the father saying the loss would force Rupp to start to recruit Blacks.

I am amazed when I travel around the US, you can always find a UK fan. A friend of mine managed a TV station in Huntington that was the UK outlet that covered most of eastern Kentucky. He always had KY businesses on a waiting list wanting to purchase TV time.

RE: C-USA Men's Basketball All-Time NCAA Appearances - Dracorex - 01-23-2016 04:11 PM

UAB has only been playing since 1978-1979. UAB has the most since that season of anyone in conference. Not to take anything away from anyone else in the league.