CSNbbs
Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures (/thread-757295.html)

Pages: 1 2

Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - BIgCatonProwl - 11-11-2015 03:04 PM

At end of the season. Nothing official... just rumor now.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - MplsBison - 11-11-2015 03:07 PM

Which programs with openings realistically have the dough to pay him at the national elite level?

It might help if the XII is shut out of the CFP again this year and shows no signs of expanding. Then Patterson could say that he feels locked into a league that can't make the playoff.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Maize - 11-11-2015 03:13 PM

(11-11-2015 03:07 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Which programs with openings realistically have the dough to pay him at the national elite level?

It might help if the XII is shut out of the CFP again this year and shows no signs of expanding. Then Patterson could say that he feels locked into a league that can't make the playoff.

The University of Southern California is one that has a opening....07-coffee3

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - CardFan1 - 11-11-2015 03:13 PM

Any whiff of Burnt Orange drifting that way ?

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - BIgCatonProwl - 11-11-2015 03:21 PM

(11-11-2015 03:13 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:07 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Which programs with openings realistically have the dough to pay him at the national elite level?

The University of Southern California is one that has a opening....07-coffee3

Bingo!

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - MplsBison - 11-11-2015 03:24 PM

I don't know if USC will agree that the XII "chuck and duck" brand of ball will work out West.

I'm guessing he has no experience recruiting So Cal kids in So Cal high schools, either.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Kittonhead - 11-11-2015 03:33 PM

Why is everyone thinking college here?

NFL is where he should be looking. Make some quick money on a 5 year contract.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - SuperFlyBCat - 11-11-2015 03:39 PM

Patterson has been there 15 years? That is a long time.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - stever20 - 11-11-2015 03:54 PM

(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I don't know if USC will agree that the XII "chuck and duck" brand of ball will work out West.

I'm guessing he has no experience recruiting So Cal kids in So Cal high schools, either.

I dunno- Washington St is 4-2 in the Pac 12- with 2 narrow losses.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - ManleyPointer - 11-11-2015 03:57 PM

(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I'm guessing he has no experience recruiting So Cal kids in So Cal high schools, either.

Coached at several small schools in California early in his career. TCU also shared leagues with the Cal-State schools & occasionally picked off a few CA kids.

Besides, it's USC. They're the only blueblood program out west. How hard is it to sell a local kid on that? Even when they "suck", they're still signing a ton of 5 star kids.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - stever20 - 11-11-2015 04:01 PM

(11-11-2015 03:57 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:24 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I'm guessing he has no experience recruiting So Cal kids in So Cal high schools, either.

Coached at several small schools in California early in his career. TCU also shared leagues with the Cal-State schools & occasionally picked off a few CA kids.

Besides, it's USC. They're the only blueblood program out west. How hard is it to sell a local kid on that? Even when they "suck", they're still signing a ton of 5 star kids.

Not only that- but like this year. of 15 recruits so far, only 9 are from California. 3 of the top 8 are from east. 6/18 of the ESPN 300 recruits they got last year were from outside California as well. Also, with Utah and Colorado in the Pac 12- that's areas that Patterson has recruited before as well.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - jrj84105 - 11-11-2015 04:12 PM

A lot of Utah fans are concerned about USC going after Whittingham. The thought of USC bringing in a great coach like Patterson is both terrifying and thrilling. I can't even describe how right everything in the universe would feel to know that the path to a NY6(BCS) game for Utah would again run through Gary Patterson and Chris Peterson.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - MplsBison - 11-11-2015 04:29 PM

(11-11-2015 04:12 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  A lot of Utah fans are concerned about USC going after Whittingham. The thought of USC bringing in a great coach like Patterson is both terrifying and thrilling. I can't even describe how right everything in the universe would feel to know that the path to a NY6(BCS) game for Utah would again run through Gary Patterson and Chris Peterson.

It would run through Washington?

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - MplsBison - 11-11-2015 04:29 PM

(11-11-2015 04:01 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:57 PM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  

Not only that- but like this year. of 15 recruits so far, only 9 are from California. 3 of the top 8 are from east. 6/18 of the ESPN 300 recruits they got last year were from outside California as well. Also, with Utah and Colorado in the Pac 12- that's areas that Patterson has recruited before as well.

Alright, fair enough.

Let's see if USC hiring committee feels the same.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Kittonhead - 11-11-2015 04:45 PM

Patterson at USC makes as much sense as June Jones coaching at Penn State.

No cultural fit.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 11-11-2015 04:46 PM

(11-11-2015 03:04 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  At end of the season. Nothing official... just rumor now.

Nothing official because it is not happening. He's had plenty of opportunities to leave and if anything he's eyeing retirement more than a new gig. Based on comments he's made in the past, my guess is that he will retire within 5 years or so. His personality is that of an intense, hands on coach. The's not made to be an old / CEO/ delegate responsibilities type coach who hangs on for years. He's not starting somewhere from scratch at this point.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Kittonhead - 11-11-2015 04:49 PM

(11-11-2015 04:46 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 03:04 PM)BIgCatonProwl Wrote:  At end of the season. Nothing official... just rumor now.

Nothing official because it is not happening. He's had plenty of opportunities to leave and if anything he's eyeing retirement more than a new gig. Based on comments he's made in the past, my guess is that he will retire within 5 years or so. His personality is that of an intense, hands on coach. The's not made to be an old / CEO/ delegate responsibilities type coach who hangs on for years. He's not starting somewhere from scratch at this point.

What about something like the Houston Texans?

A lower profile NFL team that he could build up.

Keep his legacy at TCU intact by leaving with the program on top.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Frog in the Kitchen Sink - 11-11-2015 04:58 PM

(11-11-2015 04:49 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

I just don't see it in the pros at all. He defense scheme wouldn't translate well, either.

He's an intense, loyal, work 18 hours a day kind of a guy. He knows he can't keep the intensity up forever. And he is the type that if he can't give 100%, he will give 0. I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't retire at TCU, and I expect that he will retire sooner than most people think. He's only 55, but I will be surprised if he is coaching much past 60.

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - Kittonhead - 11-11-2015 05:21 PM

(11-11-2015 04:58 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  

I just don't see it in the pros at all. He defense scheme wouldn't translate well, either.

He's an intense, loyal, work 18 hours a day kind of a guy. He knows he can't keep the intensity up forever. And he is the type that if he can't give 100%, he will give 0. I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't retire at TCU, and I expect that he will retire sooner than most people think. He's only 55, but I will be surprised if he is coaching much past 60.

He's doing in the early years of the B12 with TCU what Frank Beamer did in his early ACC years at Virginia Tech.

Have unexpected dominance early only to find more traditional football powers catch up with time. The new system is stacked against second tier P5 programs. Need to pump out Heisman candidates like a machine to impress the CFP committee.

In the NFL he can still put in his 18 hours a day and if he wins his division he gets an autobid to the playoff unlike the college game.

07-coffee3

RE: Word on Street is Patterson Maybe Bailing On TCU For Greener Pastures - MplsBison - 11-11-2015 06:06 PM

(11-11-2015 04:58 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  

Perhaps he's planning to follow in his good friend Jerry Kill's footsteps and retire early.

Obviously Kill was forced into it. But he also said "I've given every ounce of energy I have". Maybe Patterson could be the same.