CSNbbs
OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? (/thread-744838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - CliftonAve - 08-10-2015 01:29 PM

Technically this should be on the OT board, but since Nippert is involved I thought I would post it on the general board. Saw this in the on-line and thought we could discuss. Looks like there is a chance a pro soccer team will be coming to the Queen City and for now, they will play at Nippert (the article mentions they will eventually get their own home). Thoughts anyone?

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/08/06/pro-soccer-team-in-the-works-for-cincinnati.html

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - EcFlay - 08-10-2015 01:37 PM

This idea is DOA, no way a soccer field would fit in Nippert. A football field barely fits.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - cpawstoney - 08-10-2015 02:27 PM

Gettler Stadium would be ideal for them. Article says they would be in a third tier league that normally averages about 3000 per game. Gettler is already set up for soccer and holds 1400 and should work until something better is found. Using Nippert does not seem very prudent for crowds that small.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BearcatMan - 08-10-2015 02:35 PM

(08-10-2015 02:27 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  Gettler Stadium would be ideal for them. Article says they would be in a third tier league that normally averages about 3000 per game. Gettler is already set up for soccer and holds 1400 and should work until something better is found. Using Nippert does not seem very prudent for crowds that small.

Spot on, Nippert would not fit the dimensions of a professional soccer field by any means, and Gettler is the only true professional size field in the Tir-state area. To me, a massive soccer fan and a former player, there is no reason to have a professional team in Cincinnati, it would not draw anyone out, and really just saturates the summer and fall sports timeslots even more.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BeerCat - 08-10-2015 03:27 PM

(08-10-2015 02:35 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 02:27 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  Gettler Stadium would be ideal for them. Article says they would be in a third tier league that normally averages about 3000 per game. Gettler is already set up for soccer and holds 1400 and should work until something better is found. Using Nippert does not seem very prudent for crowds that small.

Spot on, Nippert would not fit the dimensions of a professional soccer field by any means, and Gettler is the only true professional size field in the Tir-state area. To me, a massive soccer fan and a former player, there is no reason to have a professional team in Cincinnati, it would not draw anyone out, and really just saturates the summer and fall sports timeslots even more.

Who are the people that waste money on these "professional" teams? There is no way they actually make money from it. If Cincy had an MLS team I absolutely would go to some games and definitely watch them on TV, but not a third tier league team.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - ucbrownsfan - 08-10-2015 03:37 PM

Where did you hear this? There are plenty of fields that fit international size qualification in the area, many are on the large size. Withrow HS and NKU's soccer stadiums both fit very large fields (maximum International dimensions).

OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - True Bearcat - 08-10-2015 03:57 PM

Sounds good to me. Definitely go check them out!

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - Eastside_J - 08-10-2015 04:36 PM

Apparently Roderick Monroe and I were the only ones who have know about this for some time.

Dropped a hint on it here -> Nippert Capacity thread (hint dropped)

This has been hush-hush but in the works for a while.

From what I understand the field will have to be altered slightly in order to fit soccer reg dimensions (some low level seating rows taken out).

Goal is MLS team.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BearcatsUC - 08-10-2015 04:41 PM

(08-10-2015 03:37 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  

Where did you hear this? There are plenty of fields that fit international size qualification in the area, many are on the large size. Withrow HS and NKU's soccer stadiums both fit very large fields (maximum International dimensions).

Paul Brown was built so it can be specifically adjusted for soccer.

OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BearcatnKY - 08-10-2015 05:03 PM

Unfortunately, my interest in soccer cannot be adjusted. Columbus still have the Village People or whatever that mascot in the hardhat is? (Yes, I know it's the Crew)

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - dossbig - 08-10-2015 05:49 PM

(08-10-2015 03:57 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  Sounds good to me. Definitely go check them out!

Sounds like someone wants to lose money. I think I am the typical Cincinnati fan. I went to all my daughters SAY, Select, Olympic Development, High School games and watch when the USA Women or Men are playing Olympic or World Cup matches. Other than that I never have watched another match.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - geef - 08-10-2015 06:05 PM

They're playing in Nippert, with an announcement coming Wednesday. The USL is technically third-tier, but it's the league that the MLS uses to develop its players and has a handful of teams that draw quite well. Cincinnati has a very well-connected ownership group and a coach who is a huge name in US Soccer. That said, the field is going to be incredibly narrow unless revisions are made to Nippert, and I believe the plan is for Nippert to be a temporary home. While I'd love to see a soccer-specific stadium near Over the Rhine (using a model like Portland) with Rheingeist flowing freely, my guess is that the long term home for FC Cincy will be more suburban style, with tournament fields surrounding it.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - subflea - 08-10-2015 07:20 PM

(08-10-2015 05:03 PM)BearcatnKY Wrote:  Unfortunately, my interest in soccer cannot be adjusted. Columbus still have the Village People or whatever that mascot in the hardhat is? (Yes, I know it's the Crew)

Just went through a complete rebranding, including a name change to Crew SC.

New logo:

[Image: 1024px-Columbus_Crew_SC_Logo.svg.png]

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - djaphone - 08-10-2015 08:19 PM

I could have sworn that when Paul Brown Stadium was being constructed there was talk that we were getting an MLS team that would play there too? Not sure what happened to that idea? I have become more interested in soccer for World Cup and the Olympics in recent years and would probably go watch MLS games if we had a team, no way am I interested in "low A ball" soccer though

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2015 08:42 PM

Soccers my top sport. And it's undergoing some explosive growth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BeerCat - 08-10-2015 11:15 PM

(08-10-2015 04:36 PM)Eastside_J Wrote:  Apparently Roderick Monroe and I were the only ones who have know about this for some time.

Dropped a hint on it here -> Nippert Capacity thread (hint dropped)

This has been hush-hush but in the works for a while.

From what I understand the field will have to be altered slightly in order to fit soccer reg dimensions (some low level seating rows taken out).

Goal is MLS team.

(08-10-2015 06:05 PM)geef Wrote:  They're playing in Nippert, with an announcement coming Wednesday. The USL is technically third-tier, but it's the league that the MLS uses to develop its players and has a handful of teams that draw quite well. Cincinnati has a very well-connected ownership group and a coach who is a huge name in US Soccer. That said, the field is going to be incredibly narrow unless revisions are made to Nippert, and I believe the plan is for Nippert to be a temporary home. While I'd love to see a soccer-specific stadium near Over the Rhine (using a model like Portland) with Rheingeist flowing freely, my guess is that the long term home for FC Cincy will be more suburban style, with tournament fields surrounding it.

Well hell, now I'm excited. Is there anywhere I can read more about these rumors? An MLS team in Cincy would be awesome.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - DuaneNorman - 08-10-2015 11:16 PM

The revisions are coming to the stadium. Lindner will pay for them. They are taking out rows of chairs. The soccer team will soon win a championship.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - BeerCat - 08-10-2015 11:51 PM

(08-10-2015 11:16 PM)DuaneNorman Wrote:  The revisions are coming to the stadium. Lindner will pay for them. They are taking out rows of chairs. The soccer team will soon win a championship.

This is clearly an imposter.

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - robertfoshizzle - 08-11-2015 12:25 AM

As a 6-year Columbus resident, I have become a Crew fan and would not switch allegiances, even if an MLS team played at Nippert. But if it brings money to our athletic department, I am all for it. Same goes for if an NHL team ever came to Cincinnati -- I am a CBJ fan. The only thing I hope for is an NBA team to come to either city. 03-cloud9

RE: OT: Cincinnati Getting a Pro Soccer Team and playing at Nippert? - EcFlay - 08-11-2015 07:04 AM

I was under the impression that PBS could NOT fit a soccer field? If it can, it's a shame that it's never hosted USMNT, USWNT, or an international friendly or something to draw a crowd. I was at the Real Madrid v Man U match at Michigan Stadium last summer and it was awesome, and it would be even more awesome if Cincinnati would do the same.