CSNbbs
Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te (/thread-742119.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - BE4evah - 07-11-2015 04:30 PM

(07-11-2015 04:21 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Texas Tech's AD just came out for expansion...there is an article on the UC board somebody posted. I'm too lazy to link it here.

I'll leave it at this: I've heard that OU does not view Texas Tech as having the same enthusiasm as Oklahoma for ideas that the Sooners view as important to OU. The AD of Texas Tech, without knowing what he said, may stand differentiated from the Texas Tech president, but I have suspicions that that is not the case...and those suspicions will become apparent very quickly...

Impolitic to say that OU views Texas Tech as a mere gnat buzzing with great ferocity, but still a gnat? Sure. But that doesn't make it untrue.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - omniorange - 07-11-2015 07:14 PM

(07-11-2015 04:21 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Texas Tech's AD just came out for expansion...there is an article on the UC board somebody posted. I'm too lazy to link it here.

edit: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/texas-tech-ad-on-big-12-expansion-we-are-financially-stable-competitively-challenged/

Well that was a lot nothing. Better to have said nothing at all.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - lumberpack4 - 07-11-2015 08:50 PM

(07-11-2015 08:59 AM)BaylorFerg Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:59 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:42 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Baylor's biggest liability that it has a tiny little fan base that is spread out all over Texas and that outside of occasional one off events like the Elite 8 vs Duke, their TV ratings are rarely impressive.

But all is not lost Cubbys!

I do honestly believe that the ACC would actively campaign for you once (and if) they get that network off the ground.

That is not Baylor's biggest liability in some circles. The question of academic freedom, legitimate or not, is an issue. If the ACC took just one from Texas and it was not Texas, I suspect the most support would be for TCU. No one in the ACC has a reason to vote against TCU. Baylor has the above issues, and TT is on the other side of the universe.

Past Texas, OU, and Kansas, I think the ACC looks at TCU/ISU/WVa.

You have to mix all the ingredients of the new market footprint, the visibility and historic value of the athletic program, and the final question - how much is ESPN willing to pay?

The above issues are issues for Baylor in the PAC but I don't see how the other religious schools in the ACC would have a problem. Beyond that TCU basketball is not something for the ACC to get excited about like the potential match ups with Baylor. ESPN is apparently happy with Baylor since they are routinely one of 2-3 women's programs to be featured on their 24 hours of basketball and Big Monday's. They also paired up Baylor and Kentucky for the basketball doubleheader at Cowboys Stadium. If the Big 12 blows up I could see Baylor fitting in the ACC or SEC.

This is the source of the more liberal ACC schools' problem with Baylor - it's from the Baptist Convention which appoints 25% of Baylor's board, with the other 75% appointed from the board:

The cause of education in the Kingdom of Christ is co-ordinate with the causes of missions and general
benevolence, and should receive along with these the liberal support of the churches. An adequate system of
Christian schools is necessary to a complete spiritual program for Christ’s people.
In Christian education there should be a proper balance between academic freedom and academic
responsibility. Freedom in any orderly relationship of human life is always limited and never absolute. The
freedom of a teacher in a Christian school, college, or seminary is limited by the pre-eminence of Jesus Christ, by
the authoritative nature of the Scriptures,
and by the distinct purpose for which the school exists.

Baylor would present a potential inside political issue for Duke, UNC, UVa, Pitt, Syracuse, NCSU, and VT. Stanford's stance against Baylor would be shared by several in the ACC. It's not about religion per se, as it is governance and the ability at any moment for the Board to pull a professor out of the classroom or stop his or her research.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-11-2015 10:13 PM

(07-11-2015 08:50 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:42 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Baylor's biggest liability that it has a tiny little fan base that is spread out all over Texas and that outside of occasional one off events like the Elite 8 vs Duke, their TV ratings are rarely impressive.

I do honestly believe that the ACC would actively campaign for you once (and if) they get that network off the ground.

That is not Baylor's biggest liability in some circles. The question of academic freedom, legitimate or not, is an issue. If the ACC took just one from Texas and it was not Texas, I suspect the most support would be for TCU. No one in the ACC has a reason to vote against TCU. Baylor has the above issues, and TT is on the other side of the universe.

You have to mix all the ingredients of the new market footprint, the visibility and historic value of the athletic program, and the final question - how much is ESPN willing to pay?

The above issues are issues for Baylor in the PAC but I don't see how the other religious schools in the ACC would have a problem. Beyond that TCU basketball is not something for the ACC to get excited about like the potential match ups with Baylor. ESPN is apparently happy with Baylor since they are routinely one of 2-3 women's programs to be featured on their 24 hours of basketball and Big Monday's. They also paired up Baylor and Kentucky for the basketball doubleheader at Cowboys Stadium. If the Big 12 blows up I could see Baylor fitting in the ACC or SEC.

This is the source of the more liberal ACC schools' problem with Baylor - it's from the Baptist Convention which appoints 25% of Baylor's board, with the other 75% appointed from the board:

The cause of education in the Kingdom of Christ is co-ordinate with the causes of missions and general
benevolence, and should receive along with these the liberal support of the churches. An adequate system of
Christian schools is necessary to a complete spiritual program for Christ’s people.
In Christian education there should be a proper balance between academic freedom and academic
responsibility. Freedom in any orderly relationship of human life is always limited and never absolute. The
freedom of a teacher in a Christian school, college, or seminary is limited by the pre-eminence of Jesus Christ, by

Baylor would present a potential inside political issue for Duke, UNC, UVa, Pitt, Syracuse, NCSU, and VT. Stanford's stance against Baylor would be shared by several in the ACC. It's not about religion per se, as it is governance and the ability at any moment for the Board to pull a professor out of the classroom or stop his or her research.

I guess the ACC would have to kick out Wake Forest, a Baptist school. And don't forget BC, a Catholic school. And, of course, Duke, which is affiliated with the United Methodist Church and has one of the most prominent Methodist seminaries in the country (and what I found says that 2/3 of Duke's board is appointed by UMC conferences).

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - DavidSt - 07-11-2015 10:24 PM

The issue that Baylor will be having is how they got strong-armed by politics to get into the Big 12, and would that surface again if they will be left out in the cold, plus the issue if they would start suing other schools and conferences to force themselves in. They have not made fans with other schools or conferences with what they have done.

As long as the Big 12 can still be kept as a G5 by the other conferences if Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas leaves as long as the other schools do not make a stink about it? I guess they would leave them as a G5, and have them take schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, East Carolina, Old Dominion, Northern Illinois, North Dakota State, BYU, Colorado State, Boise State and some others like Houston. Now, if some schools like New Mexico, North Dakota State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Hawaii, U. Mass., U. Conn., Houston and some others get the AAU invite? Then, we could see them going into the Big 10, ACC, SEC and PAC 12.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - RaiderRed - 07-12-2015 12:31 AM

edit: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/texas-tech-ad-on-big-12-expansion-we-are-financially-stable-competitively-challenged/

Really. You are better than this.

Kirby and the Big 12 are looking at options. If Kirby and the Big 12 find worthwhile expansion candidates, we will expand.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - Wedge - 07-12-2015 12:37 AM

(07-11-2015 10:13 PM)bullet Wrote:  

I guess the ACC would have to kick out Wake Forest, a Baptist school. And don't forget BC, a Catholic school. And, of course, Duke, which is affiliated with the United Methodist Church and has one of the most prominent Methodist seminaries in the country (and what I found says that 2/3 of Duke's board is appointed by UMC conferences).

You may be right that some conferences won't give a bleep about academic freedom, but those schools don't have the same academic-freedom issues as Baylor or BYU.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - lumberpack4 - 07-12-2015 12:54 AM

You are missing the point and since I am a Methodist who lives in NC I know a little something about Duke. Here is Duke's mission statement:

“To these ends, the mission of Duke University is to provide a superior liberal education to undergraduate students, attending not only to their intellectual growth but also to their development as adults committed to high ethical standards and full participation as leaders in their communities; to prepare future members of the learned professions for lives of skilled and ethical service by providing excellent graduate and professional education; to advance the frontiers of knowledge and contribute boldly to the international community of scholarship; to promote an intellectual environment built on a commitment to free and open inquiry; to help those who suffer, cure disease, and promote health, through sophisticated medical research and thoughtful patient care; to provide wide ranging educational opportunities, on and beyond our campuses, for traditional students, active professionals and life-long learners using the power of information technologies; and to promote a deep appreciation for the range of human difference and potential, a sense of the obligations and rewards of citizenship, and a commitment to learning, freedom and truth.

Having a seminary does not mean your university is under a religious sect's thumb and that you are operating under a set of bylaws that explicitly states that the prevailing religion trumps academic inquiry and expression. I'm not saying that Baylor is Bob Jones or Liberty U, but they are just a generation removed from that and the faculty and students at the ACC's more liberal institutions will not be happy.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - DavidSt - 07-12-2015 01:02 AM

(07-12-2015 12:54 AM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 04:59 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  That is not Baylor's biggest liability in some circles. The question of academic freedom, legitimate or not, is an issue. If the ACC took just one from Texas and it was not Texas, I suspect the most support would be for TCU. No one in the ACC has a reason to vote against TCU. Baylor has the above issues, and TT is on the other side of the universe.

You are missing the point and since I am a Methodist who lives in NC I know a little something about Duke. Here is Duke's mission statement:

“To these ends, the mission of Duke University is to provide a superior liberal education to undergraduate students, attending not only to their intellectual growth but also to their development as adults committed to high ethical standards and full participation as leaders in their communities; to prepare future members of the learned professions for lives of skilled and ethical service by providing excellent graduate and professional education; to advance the frontiers of knowledge and contribute boldly to the international community of scholarship; to promote an intellectual environment built on a commitment to free and open inquiry; to help those who suffer, cure disease, and promote health, through sophisticated medical research and thoughtful patient care; to provide wide ranging educational opportunities, on and beyond our campuses, for traditional students, active professionals and life-long learners using the power of information technologies; and to promote a deep appreciation for the range of human difference and potential, a sense of the obligations and rewards of citizenship, and a commitment to learning, freedom and truth.

Having a seminary does not mean your university is under a religious sect's thumb and that you are operating under a set of bylaws that explicitly states that the prevailing religion trumps academic inquiry and expression. I'm not saying that Baylor is Bob Jones or Liberty U, but they are just a generation removed from that and the faculty and students at the ACC's more liberal institutions will not be happy.

My late uncle was a Methodist preacher who taught at some of the Methodists universities like West Virginia Wesleyan. Methodists are more Liberal minded than the Baptists are. I attended church to both of them. I found Methodists taught to love people for who they are no matter who they are. But some Baptist Preachers do taught hate for others. Like the founder of Liberty U, and with Oral Roberts. So, it depends who forces you to attend to church and all that. I got a letter from the Ozarks College in Branson that they would accept me, but I found that they are strict on you to attend mass and all that. So, I think SMU like all other Methodist universities are more free to do what you do to learn than other Religious Affiliations. The players at BYU have to go overseas to spread the message before and after they play.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - RaiderRed - 07-12-2015 01:19 AM

(07-11-2015 04:30 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  

I'll leave it at this: I've heard that OU does not view Texas Tech as having the same enthusiasm as Oklahoma for ideas that the Sooners view as important to OU. The AD of Texas Tech, without knowing what he said, may stand differentiated from the Texas Tech president, but I have suspicions that that is not the case...and those suspicions will become apparent very quickly...

Impolitic to say that OU views Texas Tech as a mere gnat buzzing with great ferocity, but still a gnat? Sure. But that doesn't make it untrue.

Why would Texas Tech follow Oklahoma? We have been a thorn in their side for a few years.

Texas Tech will join the SEC or PAC on our own merits and OU will be welcomed partner.

Help me out-- what did the Texas Tech President say?

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-12-2015 07:40 AM

(07-12-2015 01:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 12:54 AM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-11-2015 08:59 AM)BaylorFerg Wrote:  The above issues are issues for Baylor in the PAC but I don't see how the other religious schools in the ACC would have a problem. Beyond that TCU basketball is not something for the ACC to get excited about like the potential match ups with Baylor. ESPN is apparently happy with Baylor since they are routinely one of 2-3 women's programs to be featured on their 24 hours of basketball and Big Monday's. They also paired up Baylor and Kentucky for the basketball doubleheader at Cowboys Stadium. If the Big 12 blows up I could see Baylor fitting in the ACC or SEC.

My late uncle was a Methodist preacher who taught at some of the Methodists universities like West Virginia Wesleyan. Methodists are more Liberal minded than the Baptists are. I attended church to both of them. I found Methodists taught to love people for who they are no matter who they are. But some Baptist Preachers do taught hate for others. Like the founder of Liberty U, and with Oral Roberts. So, it depends who forces you to attend to church and all that. I got a letter from the Ozarks College in Branson that they would accept me, but I found that they are strict on you to attend mass and all that. So, I think SMU like all other Methodist universities are more free to do what you do to learn than other Religious Affiliations. The players at BYU have to go overseas to spread the message before and after they play.

All of you are just displaying your bias against Baptists. There are no academic freedom issues at Baylor anymore than at SMU or Duke or Emory. People in responsible positions know that.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - cleburneslim - 07-12-2015 07:46 AM

Ttu's ad said that they should look at expansion and that they were happy with the level of funding with 10 teams.
kinda non committal.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - cleburneslim - 07-12-2015 07:52 AM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/11/texas-tech-ad-on-big-12-expansion-we-are-financially-stable-competitively-challenged/

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-12-2015 07:59 AM

Actually, the OU, WVU, TCU and TT officials have all said the same thing. "We are in favor of expansion with the right schools." The only real difference has been the emphasis on "in favor of" or "right schools."

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - XLance - 07-12-2015 08:08 AM

(07-12-2015 07:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  Actually, the OU, WVU, TCU and TT officials have all said the same thing. "We are in favor of expansion with the right schools." The only real difference has been the emphasis on "in favor of" or "right schools."

Has anyone from Texas actually made a public comment since Boren's?

re - 10thMountain - 07-12-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:All of you are just displaying your bias against Baptists. There are no academic freedom issues at Baylor anymore than at SMU or Duke or Emory. People in responsible positions know that.

Facts.

1) Baylor is still actively tied to its founding religious institution and retains its religious mission. From Baylor's own academic freedom statement:

Quote:Baylor University is an institution of higher education controlled by an all-Baptist Board of Regents and is operated within the Christian- oriented aims and ideals of Baptists. It is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, a cooperative association of autonomous Texas
Baptist churches. Therefore, a member of its faculty is expected to be in sympathy with the University's primary objective - to educate its students within the framework of a Christian culture. The rights and privileges of the instructor should, therefore, be exercised with discretion and a sense of loyalty to the supporting institution

Now, whether you cubs like it or not, "People in responsible positions" in all the other power conferences that are trying to improve their academic standings see that statement as an admission of being a school with an ACTIVE religious mission that can and will censor academic inquiry.

2) Tabling the academic freedom issue, Baylor is also not a research oriented school but a teaching oriented school. The amount of money Baylor spends on research compared to peers and public schools in the P5 is peanuts. And again, whether you cubs like it or not, thats a black mark against you because school presidents make the decision to expand and they want peer research institutions.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-12-2015 08:36 AM

(07-12-2015 08:09 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
Quote:All of you are just displaying your bias against Baptists. There are no academic freedom issues at Baylor anymore than at SMU or Duke or Emory. People in responsible positions know that.

Facts.

1) Baylor is still actively tied to its founding religious institution and retains its religious mission. From Baylor's own academic freedom statement:

Quote:Baylor University is an institution of higher education controlled by an all-Baptist Board of Regents and is operated within the Christian- oriented aims and ideals of Baptists. It is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, a cooperative association of autonomous Texas
Baptist churches. Therefore, a member of its faculty is expected to be in sympathy with the University's primary objective - to educate its students within the framework of a Christian culture. The rights and privileges of the instructor should, therefore, be exercised with discretion and a sense of loyalty to the supporting institution

Now, whether you cubs like it or not, "People in responsible positions" in all the other power conferences that are trying to improve their academic standings see that statement as an admission of being a school with an ACTIVE religious mission that can and will censor academic inquiry.

2) Tabling the academic freedom issue, Baylor is also not a research oriented school but a teaching oriented school. The amount of money Baylor spends on research compared to peers and public schools in the P5 is peanuts. And again, whether you cubs like it or not, thats a black mark against you because school presidents make the decision to expand and they want peer research institutions.

Baylor is Carnegie high research, just like a dozen other P5 programs, including a number in the ACC and SEC. They pass the bar. So did Syracuse and Boston College, recent additions also "high research." If all other factors were equal-fan base, competitiveness, value, etc., sure they would take Northwestern or Stanford over Baylor. But Baylor isn't "disqualified" anymore than Syracuse or BC were.

And BC's mission statement:

The Mission of Boston College

Strengthened by more than a century and a half of dedication to academic excellence, Boston College commits itself to the highest standards of teaching and research in undergraduate, graduate and professional programs and to the pursuit of a just society through its own accomplishments, the work of its faculty and staff, and the achievements of its graduates. It seeks both to advance its place among the nation's finest universities and to bring to the company of its distinguished peers and to contemporary society the richness of the Catholic intellectual ideal of a mutually illuminating relationship between religious faith and free intellectual inquiry.

Boston College draws inspiration for its academic societal mission from its distinctive religious tradition. As a Catholic and Jesuit university, it is rooted in a world view that encounters God in all creation and through all human activity, especially in the search for truth in every discipline, in the desire to learn, and in the call to live justly together. In this spirit, the University regards the contribution of different religious traditions and value systems as essential to the fullness of its intellectual life and to the continuous development of its distinctive intellectual heritage.

Boston College pursues this distinctive mission by serving society in three ways:
•by fostering the rigorous intellectual development and the religious, ethical and personal formation of its undergraduate, graduate and professional students in order to prepare them for citizenship, service and leadership in a global society;
•by producing nationally and internationally significant research that advances insight and understanding, thereby both enriching culture and addressing important societal needs; and
by committing itself to advance the dialogue between religious belief and other formative elements of culture through the intellectual inquiry, teaching and learning, and the community life that form the University.

Boston College fulfills this mission with a deep concern for all members of its community, with a recognition of the important contribution a diverse student body, faculty and staff can offer, with a firm commitment to academic freedom, and with a determination to exercise careful stewardship of its resources in pursuit of its academic goals.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-12-2015 08:38 AM

And, of course, Notre Dame:

Mission Statement

Context

This statement speaks of the University of Notre Dame as a place of teaching and research, of scholarship and publication, of service and community. These components flow from three characteristics of Roman Catholicism that image Jesus Christ, his Gospel, and his Spirit. A sacramental vision encounters God in the whole of creation. In and through the visible world in which we live, we come to know and experience the invisible God. In mediation the Catholic vision perceives God not only present in but working through persons, events, and material things. There is an intelligibility and a coherence to all reality, discoverable through spirit, mind, and imagination. God’s grace prompts human activity to assist the world in creating justice grounded in love. God’s way to us comes as communion, through the communities in which men and women live. This community includes the many theological traditions, liturgies, and spiritualities that fashion the life of the Church. The emphasis on community in Catholicism explains why Notre Dame historically has fostered familial bonds in its institutional life.

A Catholic university draws its basic inspiration from Jesus Christ as the source of wisdom and from the conviction that in him all things can be brought to their completion. As a Catholic university, Notre Dame wishes to contribute to this educational mission.

Mission

The University of Notre Dame is a Catholic academic community of higher learning, animated from its origins by the Congregation of Holy Cross. The University is dedicated to the pursuit and sharing of truth for its own sake. As a Catholic university, one of its distinctive goals is to provide a forum where, through free inquiry and open discussion, the various lines of Catholic thought may intersect with all the forms of knowledge found in the arts, sciences, professions, and every other area of human scholarship and creativity.

The intellectual interchange essential to a university requires, and is enriched by, the presence and voices of diverse scholars and students. The Catholic identity of the University depends upon, and is nurtured by, the continuing presence of a predominant number of Catholic intellectuals. This ideal has been consistently maintained by the University leadership throughout its history. What the University asks of all its scholars and students, however, is not a particular creedal affiliation, but a respect for the objectives of Notre Dame and a willingness to enter into the conversation that gives it life and character. Therefore, the University insists upon academic freedom that makes open discussion and inquiry possible.

The University prides itself on being an environment of teaching and learning that fosters the development in its students of those disciplined habits of mind, body, and spirit that characterize educated, skilled, and free human beings. In addition, the University seeks to cultivate in its students not only an appreciation for the great achievements of human beings but also a disciplined sensibility to the poverty, injustice and oppression that burden the lives of so many. The aim is to create a sense of human solidarity and concern for the common good that will bear fruit as learning becomes service to justice.

Notre Dame also has a responsibility to advance knowledge in a search for truth through original inquiry and publication. This responsibility engages the faculty and students in all areas of the University, but particularly in graduate and professional education and research. The University is committed to constructive and critical engagement with the whole of human culture.

The University encourages a way of living consonant with a Christian community and manifest in prayer, liturgy and service. Residential life endeavors to develop that sense of community and of responsibility that prepares students for subsequent leadership in building a society that is at once more human and more divine.

Notre Dame’s character as a Catholic academic community presupposes that no genuine search for the truth in the human or the cosmic order is alien to the life of faith. The University welcomes all areas of scholarly activity as consonant with its mission, subject to appropriate critical refinement. There is, however, a special obligation and opportunity, specifically as a Catholic university, to pursue the religious dimensions of all human learning. Only thus can Catholic intellectual life in all disciplines be animated and fostered and a proper community of scholarly religious discourse be established.

In all dimensions of the University, Notre Dame pursues its objectives through the formation of an authentic human community graced by the Spirit of Christ.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - bullet - 07-12-2015 08:40 AM

(07-12-2015 08:08 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 07:59 AM)bullet Wrote:  Actually, the OU, WVU, TCU and TT officials have all said the same thing. "We are in favor of expansion with the right schools." The only real difference has been the emphasis on "in favor of" or "right schools."

Has anyone from Texas actually made a public comment since Boren's?

No. Given that Patterson likes to talk, its kind of surprising. Haven't heard Baylor, KU or ISU either, although I might have missed that. KSU's coach came out sympathetic to expansion, but haven't heard their officials speak on the issue.

RE: Smoke getting really thick: 2 Oklahoma insiders claim OU in talks with SEC and Big Te - 10thMountain - 07-12-2015 09:03 AM

Bullet

It depends on the conference and how much they care about religious status and research status.

It 100% disqualifies them (or BC for that matter if geography wasn't a thing) from the PAC and the B1G (who doesn't care as much about religion as they do research). The SEC might not have as many issues with religion but the SEC also has shown no interest in adding anything but large public flagship research schools in large population states they previously didn't have a presence in either.

Which leaves the ACC.

Just as I said before, if the B12 falls apart (which I dont think it will before the GOR is up no matter what Boren says) the ACC is Baylor's only hope.