CSNbbs
Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" (/thread-739956.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - westwolf - 06-10-2015 08:26 AM

The pathetic attempt by Uconn to establish a rivalry with UCF (after playing all of 2 games) shows how desperate the school is in the dysfunctional AAC.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - chess - 06-10-2015 08:31 AM

(06-10-2015 08:26 AM)westwolf Wrote:  The pathetic attempt by Uconn to establish a rivalry with UCF (after playing all of 2 games) shows how desperate the school is in the dysfunctional AAC.

It isn't pathetic.

When Bill McCartney took over the Colorado football program, he recognized that Colorado had no true rival in the Big 8. His solution was to highlight the game against Nebraska in red and raise the importance of the game.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - MWC Tex - 06-10-2015 08:56 AM

(06-10-2015 08:31 AM)chess Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:26 AM)westwolf Wrote:  The pathetic attempt by Uconn to establish a rivalry with UCF (after playing all of 2 games) shows how desperate the school is in the dysfunctional AAC.

It isn't pathetic.

When Bill McCartney took over the Colorado football program, he recognized that Colorado had no true rival in the Big 8. His solution was to highlight the game against Nebraska in red and raise the importance of the game.

Uh..no. CU-NU was a rivalry even as far back in the 60's when my Dad went to CU.

Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - CurveItAround - 06-10-2015 11:17 AM

Is this the best rivalry going in the AAC?

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - mikeinsec127 - 06-10-2015 11:27 AM

Yeah, this is a weird one and I'm surprised it took this long for it to hit this board. The story on this broke almost two weeks ago. From what I read, UConn even went so far as to buy a trophy for a "Rivalry Game" that the other school didn't even know about. If UConn wants to build rivalries with AAC schools, it should start with Temple and Cincy. At least it shares geography with one and a little history with the other.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - CardFan1 - 06-10-2015 11:30 AM

In Basketball or Football ? Polar opposites to date.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - chess - 06-10-2015 04:39 PM

(06-10-2015 08:56 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:31 AM)chess Wrote:  

It isn't pathetic.

Uh..no. CU-NU was a rivalry even as far back in the 60's when my Dad went to CU.

You are so right. That Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry played on national television. Colorado-Nebraska played- uh- well. It may have played locally.

Rivalry to the core, baby. Beat the Buffs.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - jaredf29 - 06-10-2015 05:03 PM

(06-10-2015 11:17 AM)CurveItAround Wrote:  Is this the best rivalry going in the AAC?

No.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - HuskyU - 06-10-2015 05:23 PM

The UCONN obsession on this board is unparalleled. We must be P5 caliber cuz all you hacks can't stop talkin bout us!!

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - HartfordHusky - 06-10-2015 05:27 PM

When you play in a conference with no rivals and few opponents that interest the fanbase, you have to try something I guess. I don't know if this was the right thing to try but whatever. People talking about UConn football in June after going 2 - 10 last season.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - UConn-SMU - 06-10-2015 06:40 PM

I love how UConn is the obsession on this board.

We get the most threads by far, but I still don't know why.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - nzmorange - 06-10-2015 06:44 PM

(06-10-2015 06:40 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I love how UConn is the obsession on this board.

We get the most threads by far, but I still don't know why.

UCONN's real football rival:

csnbbs.com

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - BigHouston - 06-11-2015 12:11 AM

I say UConn wins this next game...

... sorry UCF but looks to me Diaco's boys will be ready.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - Kaplony - 06-11-2015 12:16 AM

Can you have a rivalry after two games?

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - He1nousOne - 06-11-2015 12:43 AM

I don't understand what the issue is? So UConn, in an area of slim pickings for recruits is getting overly creative in trying to create ways for themselves to improve recruiting in one of the strongest recruiting markets in the country?

Now granted, it does come off as pretty desperate but if I was trying to recruit strong enough to be looked at by the higher up conferences then I would try and get creative too if I was running UConn.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - ManleyPointer - 06-11-2015 01:03 AM

Here's how it's done:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/23/7269933/nebraska-minnesota-broken-chair-trophy

Best traveling trophy of the modern era.

If nothing else, Minnesota does trophies right. Floyd of Rosedale is a pig named after a governor. Paul Bunyan's Axe references Northwoods folklore & is used to "chop down" the loser's goalposts. The Little Brown Jug was first used because coaches feared fans might be peeing in the normal water supply.

It's supposed to be fun. You can't force fun. Just get out of the way & let it happen.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - Kaplony - 06-11-2015 02:01 AM

(06-11-2015 12:43 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't understand what the issue is? So UConn, in an area of slim pickings for recruits is getting overly creative in trying to create ways for themselves to improve recruiting in one of the strongest recruiting markets in the country?

Now granted, it does come off as pretty desperate but if I was trying to recruit strong enough to be looked at by the higher up conferences then I would try and get creative too if I was running UConn.

The issue is it makes zero sense.

The UConn coach creating a rivalry trophy with USF makes a little sense. Twelve games between the programs, a fairly competitive record, of the twelve games all but two are close games. That makes sense.

Creating one for a series where in two games you are 1-1 yest outscored in the two 91-54 makes zero sense, and should be mocked at every opportunity.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - DavidSt - 06-11-2015 02:30 AM

(06-11-2015 02:01 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:43 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I don't understand what the issue is? So UConn, in an area of slim pickings for recruits is getting overly creative in trying to create ways for themselves to improve recruiting in one of the strongest recruiting markets in the country?

The issue is it makes zero sense.

The UConn coach creating a rivalry trophy with USF makes a little sense. Twelve games between the programs, a fairly competitive record, of the twelve games all but two are close games. That makes sense.

Creating one for a series where in two games you are 1-1 yest outscored in the two 91-54 makes zero sense, and should be mocked at every opportunity.

I could see a rivalry trophy be created if U. Mass. joins the AAC and compete with U. Conn.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - NestaKnight1 - 06-11-2015 05:47 AM

(06-11-2015 12:11 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I say UConn wins this next game...

I wouldn't bet the farm, UCF won't be subjected to the cold of Conn in November for the next game.

RE: Uconn-UCF "rivalry" - jskwrite - 06-11-2015 08:28 AM

(06-11-2015 05:47 AM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 12:11 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I say UConn wins this next game...

I wouldn't bet the farm, UCF won't be subjected to the cold of Conn in November for the next game.

UConn should have consulted UCF so they could have put the school's proper logo on the trophy (which they didn't). They also should have put both games .. not just the fluky bad-weather game UConn won last year. I understand what Diaco is doing picking a fight with the toughest kid in the school yard... but UConn's schedule this year is monstrous for a team that won only 2 games last year.... I think Diaco should have been a little more intelligent about this (or proposed a rivalry with Temple or Cincy as said in the post- since they've been playing those schools a lot longer) - they could be a 1-3 win team this year and less than 6 wins in 2 years isn't going to keep his job long.