CSNbbs
C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th (/thread-739738.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - MinerInWisconsin - 06-07-2015 06:09 PM

That's tomorrow. Anything of importance coming from the meeting? Since the UAB question is settled, I expect by Wednesday we will hear where the basketball tournament will be played next season and I'm betting Birmingham. Anything else? TV contract info?

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - TOPSTRAIGHT - 06-07-2015 07:25 PM

IMO C-USA will put some fairly stringent guidelines and deadlines on UAB football.These will probably NOT be released to the public.Something general may filter out over time.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - PirateTreasureNC - 06-07-2015 09:11 PM

(06-07-2015 06:09 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  That's tomorrow. Anything of importance coming from the meeting? Since the UAB question is settled, I expect by Wednesday we will hear where the basketball tournament will be played next season and I'm betting Birmingham. Anything else? TV contract info?

UAB thing is far from settled for the conference IMO.

When do they start up? 2016? 2017? 2018?
Do they have to transition back up the ladder by starting as FCS first?
Will there be a stadium issue?
What are the "guarantees" it hangs around from a conference perspective?

I think there is a LOT of logistical and financial issues with UAB coming back into the football fold that haven't been resolved to a decent level of satisfaction for CUSA to have a plan for their return.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - ODU AGGIE - 06-08-2015 07:24 AM

There is little doubt that UAB has a long, hard row to hoe. This is from an article by Harry Minium in the Virginian-Pilot.

QUOTE:
…Conference USA's Executive Board, composed of college presidents, issued a statement Thursday saying it would take no action on UAB's membership until the fall.
According to the statement, "at its fall meeting, the board expects UAB to submit for review a comprehensive plan addressing the key elements of UAB's football program going forward. No additional action from the board is expected until that time."

…If the NCAA requires UAB to start in the Football Championship Subdivision, it would not rejoin the FBS until 2020 and not be bowl eligible until 2021.
END QUOTE

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/cusa-no-rush-decide-fate-uab

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - MinerInWisconsin - 06-08-2015 08:04 AM

(06-08-2015 07:24 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  There is little doubt that UAB has a long hard row to hoe. This is from an article by Harry Minium in the Virginian-Pilot.

QUOTE:
…Conference USA's Executive Board, composed of college presidents, issued a statement Thursday saying it would take no action on UAB's membership until the fall.
According to the statement, "at its fall meeting, the board expects UAB to submit for review a comprehensive plan addressing the key elements of UAB's football program going forward. No additional action from the board is expected until that time."

…If the NCAA requires UAB to start in the Football Championship Subdivision, it would not rejoin the FBS until 2020 and not be bowl eligible until 2021.
END QUOTE

Interesting article. I guess BB gave a much more optimistic reaction while the conference presidents are being more prudent and actually want to see UAB's plan for bringing football back. I do think their AD, if he is allowed to do his job, and the Birmingham business community will get it done. A lot depends on the NCAA too.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - monarx - 06-08-2015 08:22 AM

I am glad UAB will be staying, but I certainly hope they dont get a share of the FBS payout while not playing or playing FCS. They shouldnt get the (football) payout again until they are full members of the conference.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - Monarchist13 - 06-08-2015 08:25 AM

(06-08-2015 08:22 AM)monarx Wrote:  I am glad UAB will be staying, but I certainly hope they dont get a share of the FBS payout while not playing or playing FCS. They shouldnt get the (football) payout again until they are full members of the conference.

If they are playing a full CUSA schedule during those transition years, they deserve to reap the same rewards as the rest of the league.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - USMSTUD - 06-08-2015 08:43 AM

(06-08-2015 08:25 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 08:22 AM)monarx Wrote:  I am glad UAB will be staying, but I certainly hope they dont get a share of the FBS payout while not playing or playing FCS. They shouldnt get the (football) payout again until they are full members of the conference.

If they are playing a full CUSA schedule during those transition years, they deserve to reap the same rewards as the rest of the league.
I believe I read somewhere that they won't be eligible for revenue received from the college football playoff for any season they aren't fielding a team or classified as an FCS team.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - Niner National - 06-08-2015 09:03 AM

I feel like the ncaa will grant them a waiver as long as they are ready to go for 2016.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - FIUFan - 06-08-2015 09:25 AM

(06-08-2015 08:43 AM)USMSTUD Wrote:  I believe I read somewhere that they won't be eligible for revenue received from the college football playoff for any season they aren't fielding a team or classified as an FCS team.

Right. Like I've said; they've won the battle.....now the war begins. Tread carefully UAB, there are a lot of landminds and pitfalls along your journey back to FBS and you're not negotiating from a postion of strength on any front.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - ODU AGGIE - 06-08-2015 11:21 AM

It's looking more likely that UAB will be hosting the 2016 basketball tourney.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/uab-expected-land-another-cusa-tournament

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - BamaScorpio69 - 06-08-2015 01:57 PM

(06-08-2015 09:25 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  Right. Like I've said; they've won the battle.....now the war begins. Tread carefully UAB, there are a lot of landminds and pitfalls along your journey back to FBS and you're not negotiating from a postion of strength on any front.

I'm not even understanding this warning. I'm out!

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - olliebaba - 06-08-2015 02:01 PM

(06-08-2015 07:24 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  There is little doubt that UAB has a long, hard row to hoe. This is from an article by Harry Minium in the Virginian-Pilot.

QUOTE:

END QUOTE

2020 or 2021? Whew, that's a long way into the future. Without sounding heartless I'd go for someone that's already in D1. If it's 2016 then that's another story, come on in.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - FIUFan - 06-08-2015 02:09 PM

(06-08-2015 01:57 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 09:25 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  Right. Like I've said; they've won the battle.....now the war begins. Tread carefully UAB, there are a lot of landminds and pitfalls along your journey back to FBS and you're not negotiating from a postion of strength on any front.

Maybe this will help:

Ray Watts made it clear during his Monday press conference: "If fans want a football program, they'll have to pay for it".

Not very friendly, and that's your own president; imagine the tone when you step off campus. Maybe you're just playing dumb, but that's not a very healthy way to go into this.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - Eagle Lurker - 06-08-2015 03:12 PM

(06-07-2015 06:09 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  That's tomorrow. Anything of importance coming from the meeting? Since the UAB question is settled, I expect by Wednesday we will hear where the basketball tournament will be played next season and I'm betting Birmingham. Anything else? TV contract info?

Player stipends/cost of attendance will be another big topic.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - BamaScorpio69 - 06-08-2015 06:06 PM

(06-07-2015 09:11 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I think there is a LOT of logistical and financial issues with UAB coming back into the football fold that haven't been resolved to a decent level of satisfaction for CUSA to have a plan for their return.

Glad you just think this and don't know for sure.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - BamaScorpio69 - 06-08-2015 06:08 PM

(06-08-2015 02:09 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  

Maybe this will help:

Ray Watts made it clear during his Monday press conference: "If fans want a football program, they'll have to pay for it".

Not very friendly, and that's your own president; imagine the tone when you step off campus. Maybe you're just playing dumb, but that's not a very healthy way to go into this.

Negotiating from a point of strength??? Care to explain since you questioned if I am playing dumb.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - Smaug - 06-08-2015 06:54 PM

(06-08-2015 02:09 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  

Maybe this will help:

Take Punkin Head's comments with a grain of salt. He's a dead man walking.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - PirateTreasureNC - 06-08-2015 08:02 PM

(06-08-2015 06:06 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

Not sure on how to interpret your reply, but if something has gone official on any of the points I made I would like to know.

RE: C-USA board (presidents) meeting starts June 8th - BamaScorpio69 - 06-08-2015 08:48 PM

(06-08-2015 08:02 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 06:06 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

Not sure on how to interpret your reply, but if something has gone official on any of the points I made I would like to know.

Why?