CSNbbs
UMass Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UMass Football (/thread-739590.html)

RE: UMass Football - LastMinuteman - 08-27-2018 09:01 AM

(08-26-2018 12:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  Does the win over Duquesne count toward bowl eligibility for UMass? Seems like their conference only permits 45 football scholarships, which is below the threshhold (90% of the FCS max of 63).

It counts. The way some NEC teams like Duquesne and Wagner are getting around their league's scholarship limit is by changing their accounting so that any financial aid packages offered to football players are counted as scholarship equivalents for NCAA purposes. This was an accommodation made to the Patriot and Ivy League schools that were too pure to be sullied by something as tacky as offering football scholarships instead of "academic aid," but thought they might want to condescend to play a FBS school at some point. The NEC is in a gray area as the only conference that's neither full scholarship nor non-scholarship, so a couple teams that want FBS game money learned to use the rules to their advantage. And because NEC teams have very little chance of getting invited to the FCS playoffs without winning their conference's autobid, they can go ahead and schedule multiple FBS games without any negative consequences if they get blown out. (Duquesne will also be playing Hawaii, which is why they were eligible to schedule a game for Week 0.)

RE: UMass Football - Eldonabe - 08-27-2018 10:36 AM

(08-26-2018 06:13 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  UMass is a flagship school and a pretty good academic school.Basketball is a second thought tbh for aac in general, because the conference will be respected automatically once us and memphis return to power. umass does have adequate basketball facilities when compared the most aac schools. Its football that is still searching for respect when it comes to the aac. So an improved umass football team that makes bowls every year will, imo greatly increase umass's chances to be accepted into the aac. personally i really hope you guys get in.

It is nice to hear a rational UConn fan - I wasn't sure any existed 02-13-banana.

The Northeast is not a hotbead of football and that is exactly why we need each other. It is a natural rivalry that would bring eyes to TVs and asses to seats. I truly believe that UConn was in a position to smoke Umass all the time (In Hoops and Football) for a real long time, but not so much any more. UConn always had much more to lose that Umass had to gain for a long time, but we need each other now more than ever.

It really is dumb that these two schools don't play each other more in the major sports.

RE: UMass Football - NIU007 - 08-27-2018 01:27 PM

(08-26-2018 10:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 09:56 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 09:26 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 08:45 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 07:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  1) I showed you the MAC 2018 media poll. Ohio is a prohibitive favorite to win the MAC Championship this season which by default would make one a great team. There are other very good teams in the MAC too so its not a given.

2) Ohio scoring offense was #10 in the country last season. By any measure that is a very good team. This year we are projected to have the #1 scoring offense in the country.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-853644.html

3) Phil Steele has us as a contender for a NYD game in his preview magazine and one of his power sets has us going undefeated in the regular season. Again we have a great team this year. Its not just a decent team that could win the MAC with a few breaks like some of the early Solich teams.

4) Specifically to being head a shoulders above "G5 weaklings" Ohio hasn't had a losing season in a decade. UMass best season in 6 years of FBS play was 4-8.

So yes I definitely think Ohio is a top tier MAC team, consistently a good G5 team and as of right now has a great team. Georgia State I am not sure can get there.

Just stop, you are just embarrassing yourself now. Go switch screen names and talk about the Athens County Airport that is going to fly Ohio to the Big 12. Lol

Let me know when you get to Detroit.......

What I think is fitting after trouncing Toledo the last 2 years home and away is to do it for a 3rd straight year in Detroit.

I think the odds of us showing up in Detroit are pretty good. Our coach has done it 4 times before, the most of any in the MAC. Particularly with a loaded team. Almost unanimous choice to win the MAC East this season.

Sigh...... 31-21-1. Congrats on winning two games after losing 12 straight.

Here’s the thing Ohio had the yellow Brick road to Detroit last season, yet lose to Akron when it matters the most?
Your coach has been to Detroit, four times before and has zero wins?
No wonder no other university wants him besides the nursing home in Athens.

Kit Kat, Kittonhead, whatever you want to call yourself, until you win in Detroit you have nothing. Every time you try and spin it, and you’ll spin it again, not only embarrasses yourself but Athens and other bobcat fans. Keep worrying about that Athens County Airport, or your dilousional belief that Ohio can bring in the Columbus Market.

It all just sounds like sour grapes because Toledo has no upside. You are jealous of that little county airport because Lucas County has nothing but a regional shuttle to south florida for retirees.

I said the future was "cat" because I knew what direction the university was heading in. I was right and gradually we built a strong football team.

You have to understand that we are just getting things rolling in Athens and big double digit win seasons await.

So what was this thread about again? Oh yea, UMass.....

RE: UMass Football - utpotts - 08-27-2018 06:29 PM

(08-27-2018 01:27 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 10:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 09:56 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 09:26 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 08:45 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Just stop, you are just embarrassing yourself now. Go switch screen names and talk about the Athens County Airport that is going to fly Ohio to the Big 12. Lol

Let me know when you get to Detroit.......

What I think is fitting after trouncing Toledo the last 2 years home and away is to do it for a 3rd straight year in Detroit.

I think the odds of us showing up in Detroit are pretty good. Our coach has done it 4 times before, the most of any in the MAC. Particularly with a loaded team. Almost unanimous choice to win the MAC East this season.

Sigh...... 31-21-1. Congrats on winning two games after losing 12 straight.

Here’s the thing Ohio had the yellow Brick road to Detroit last season, yet lose to Akron when it matters the most?
Your coach has been to Detroit, four times before and has zero wins?
No wonder no other university wants him besides the nursing home in Athens.

Kit Kat, Kittonhead, whatever you want to call yourself, until you win in Detroit you have nothing. Every time you try and spin it, and you’ll spin it again, not only embarrasses yourself but Athens and other bobcat fans. Keep worrying about that Athens County Airport, or your dilousional belief that Ohio can bring in the Columbus Market.

It all just sounds like sour grapes because Toledo has no upside. You are jealous of that little county airport because Lucas County has nothing but a regional shuttle to south florida for retirees.

I said the future was "cat" because I knew what direction the university was heading in. I was right and gradually we built a strong football team.

You have to understand that we are just getting things rolling in Athens and big double digit win seasons await.

So what was this thread about again? Oh yea, UMass.....

Did you hear they beat Duquesne? And not in basketball.

RE: UMass Football - oliveandblue - 08-27-2018 06:39 PM

There sure is a lot of salt on here for a small indy program that just waxed an FCS school as a heavy favorite. Wow.

UMass Football - panama - 08-27-2018 07:15 PM

A salt mine. Ridiculous. Why must there always be so much negativity towards other programs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - Huskypride - 08-27-2018 07:55 PM

(08-27-2018 10:36 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  
(08-26-2018 06:13 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  UMass is a flagship school and a pretty good academic school.Basketball is a second thought tbh for aac in general, because the conference will be respected automatically once us and memphis return to power. umass does have adequate basketball facilities when compared the most aac schools. Its football that is still searching for respect when it comes to the aac. So an improved umass football team that makes bowls every year will, imo greatly increase umass's chances to be accepted into the aac. personally i really hope you guys get in.

It is nice to hear a rational UConn fan - I wasn't sure any existed 02-13-banana.

The Northeast is not a hotbead of football and that is exactly why we need each other. It is a natural rivalry that would bring eyes to TVs and asses to seats. I truly believe that UConn was in a position to smoke Umass all the time (In Hoops and Football) for a real long time, but not so much any more. UConn always had much more to lose that Umass had to gain for a long time, but we need each other now more than ever.

It really is dumb that these two schools don't play each other more in the major sports.

believe me, we are going to continue to smack yall around in bball with hurley as head coach.03-lmfao. but i agree football is up for debate. but the basketball rivalry would definitely drawn eye balls for sure. Football maybe, but both of us would have to be doing better than decent for people to care. Our basketball programs both have a history with each other and prestige in general. So it would be no brainer to have yall in the aac if you continue to improve at football. But, there is a chance that we are in a p5 confernece by the time you get into the aac.

RE: UMass Football - DFW HOYA - 08-28-2018 05:34 AM

(08-27-2018 09:01 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  This was an accommodation made to the Patriot and Ivy League schools that were too pure to be sullied by something as tacky as offering football scholarships instead of "academic aid," but thought they might want to condescend to play a FBS school at some point.

Six of the seven Patriot League schools offer 60 full scholarships.

RE: UMass Football - panite - 08-28-2018 07:28 AM

(08-28-2018 05:34 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(08-27-2018 09:01 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  This was an accommodation made to the Patriot and Ivy League schools that were too pure to be sullied by something as tacky as offering football scholarships instead of "academic aid," but thought they might want to condescend to play a FBS school at some point.

Can you name the Patriot school that doesn't offer 60 full scholarships. 07-coffee3

RE: UMass Football - LastMinuteman - 08-28-2018 08:28 AM

(08-28-2018 05:34 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

But not back when these rules for counting wins over FCS opponents towards bowl eligibility were put in place.

RE: UMass Football - ken d - 08-28-2018 03:20 PM

I'd like to see both Syracuse and Boston College play these two schools every year as well. They could all use a boost in football attendance.

RE: UMass Football - The Grape King - 08-29-2018 02:02 PM

I've been saying this for a while, UMass will make a great addition to the conference once it has its football facility figured out. The northeast has a few AAC caliber schools and is the most important sports media region in the country. With a few major publics not P5 right now, there's the potential for the league to make major in roads to a region not dominated by a power conference.

RE: UMass Football - Carolina_Low_Country - 08-29-2018 02:26 PM

UConn and UMass should play every year at some point. Build the rivalry up even if you guys play on Thanksgiving weekend or sometime during the season. Need to build local interest to start building a large fan base

RE: UMass Football - Fighting Muskie - 08-29-2018 04:18 PM

With there being so few FBS schools in the Northeast all of these schools should be playing regularly if not annually:

UMass-UConn
UMass-BC
UMass-Buffalo
UMass-Temple
Pitt-WVU
Pitt-Maryland
Pitt-Temple
Temple-Rutgers

RE: UMass Football - The Grape King - 08-29-2018 06:40 PM

(08-29-2018 04:18 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With there being so few FBS schools in the Northeast all of these schools should be playing regularly if not annually:

UMass-UConn
UMass-BC
UMass-Buffalo
UMass-Temple
Pitt-WVU
Pitt-Maryland
Pitt-Temple
Temple-Rutgers

Temple-Rutgers is always fun, especially as a Jersey ex pat and Temple alum. No way Rutgers wants to schedule us again, though. They know they'd probably get beat in either sport home or away, and they don't need anything else pushing Jersey kids out of state. They lose their minds when we land Jersey recruits. They have their B1G advantage, they wouldn't want to blow that getting spanked by a school an hour away.

RE: UMass Football - esayem - 08-29-2018 09:20 PM

(08-29-2018 04:18 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With there being so few FBS schools in the Northeast all of these schools should be playing regularly if not annually:

UMass-UConn
UMass-BC
UMass-Buffalo
UMass-Temple
Pitt-WVU
Pitt-Maryland
Pitt-Temple
Temple-Rutgers

Other northeastern/mid-atlantic games I'd like to see:

Army-BC
BC-UConn
UConn-Rutgers
Army/Navy-Rutgers
Navy-Pitt
Navy-UMD
Navy-UVA
UVA-UMD (two games scheduled)
UMD-WVU (a few games scheduled)
WVU-Penn State (two games scheduled)
Penn State-Pitt (should be yearly)

Unfortunately, Navy's schedule is extremely limited these days.

RE: UMass Football - esayem - 08-29-2018 09:22 PM

(08-29-2018 06:40 PM)The Grape King Wrote:  Temple-Rutgers is always fun, especially as a Jersey ex pat and Temple alum. No way Rutgers wants to schedule us again, though. They know they'd probably get beat in either sport home or away, and they don't need anything else pushing Jersey kids out of state. They lose their minds when we land Jersey recruits. They have their B1G advantage, they wouldn't want to blow that getting spanked by a school an hour away.

They have some games scheduled.

RE: UMass Football - panite - 08-29-2018 10:01 PM

(08-29-2018 09:20 PM)esayem Wrote:  

UMass-UConn
UMass-BC
UMass-Buffalo
UMass-Temple
Pitt-WVU
Pitt-Maryland
Pitt-Temple
Temple-Rutgers

Other northeastern/mid-atlantic games I'd like to see:

Army-BC
BC-UConn
UConn-Rutgers
Army/Navy-Rutgers
Navy-Pitt
Navy-UMD
Navy-UVA
UVA-UMD (two games scheduled)
UMD-WVU (a few games scheduled)
WVU-Penn State (two games scheduled)
Penn State-Pitt (should be yearly)

Unfortunately, Navy's schedule is extremely limited these days.

Annual games I'd like to see:

Nebraska - Oklahoma - Thanksgiving Day / T'Giving weekend.
Texas - Texas AM - Thanksgiving Day / T'Giving weekend.
WV - Pitt - annually - Backyard Brawl.
Pitt - Penn State - H&H at least every 2 or 3 years.

RE: UMass Football - The Grape King - 08-29-2018 10:08 PM

(08-29-2018 09:22 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(08-29-2018 06:40 PM)The Grape King Wrote:  Temple-Rutgers is always fun, especially as a Jersey ex pat and Temple alum. No way Rutgers wants to schedule us again, though. They know they'd probably get beat in either sport home or away, and they don't need anything else pushing Jersey kids out of state. They lose their minds when we land Jersey recruits. They have their B1G advantage, they wouldn't want to blow that getting spanked by a school an hour away.

They have some games scheduled.

Do we? I can't keep up.

Edit: ****, I did know that. Ignore me.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 08-29-2018 10:52 PM

For the record, while scheduling is never easy we do pretty well.
We have both Boston College and UConn this year.
We have a 10 year series scheduled with Army starting next year.
Also next year Rutgers and Temple, for 2019 and 2020 UConn and for 2021 and 2022 Boston College. Also have an eight year deal with Liberty, which is mid-Atlantic.

Here is FBS Schedule view.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/umass/

PS. Screw Buffalo, they lead the charge for the ultimatum as they were afraid that we wold pass them by and other MAC teams joined in. It did not help that we were terrible, but could have easily negotiated for a less than even share and brought James Madison in. Short version is that they did not want to be a stepping stone and wanted us all in.