CSNbbs
UMass Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UMass Football (/thread-739590.html)

RE: UMass Football - Sam Minuteman - 09-02-2016 10:44 PM

(09-02-2016 10:30 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:51 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  I was checking out the schedule and future schedules on http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-umass-minutemen-football-schedule.php and noticed there are several away games without TV listed. I figure the BYU game will be on BYU TV but i was surprised the others didn't have tv listed yet.

I don't know a lot about TV deals but I expected the UMASS home games to be streamed, the fact that I can watch them in Florida on a basic sports package seems pretty good to me. I guess I'm disappointed that UMass isn't getting paid anything but the exposure seems pretty good.

UMass is going to miss the 1M payout from the MAC but I'm glad i don't have to worry about streaming the games anymore.

Less than 24 hours till the season kicks off!

Wow. I read the link you posted. UMASS only has 1 game on tv and that is on the SECN. That's astonishing. No TV money OR exposure? I'm not sure how that's sustainable? I've never heard of anything like this.
Cheers!

The games are on ASN (i have no idea what channel that is) and NESN which I get in Florida for the same price i get the SEC & BIG Ten Network and is just about standard in MA. The games will also be streamed on ESPN3 which was about the only way to watch them while they were in the MAC so for the home games it is more exposure than they had in the MAC.

I'm sure the South Carolina and BYU games will get picked up. Not sure if games at Old Dominion, Troy, or Hawaii will I hope they at least have streaming options.

You are right about the lack of any money. it is a big surprise I'm sure getting that is part of the trade off of having a game against Wagner televised and not getting paid for the Mississippi State game.

RE: UMass Football - PA-GAMECOCK - 09-03-2016 10:08 AM

(09-02-2016 10:44 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:30 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:51 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  I was checking out the schedule and future schedules on http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-umass-minutemen-football-schedule.php and noticed there are several away games without TV listed. I figure the BYU game will be on BYU TV but i was surprised the others didn't have tv listed yet.

I don't know a lot about TV deals but I expected the UMASS home games to be streamed, the fact that I can watch them in Florida on a basic sports package seems pretty good to me. I guess I'm disappointed that UMass isn't getting paid anything but the exposure seems pretty good.

UMass is going to miss the 1M payout from the MAC but I'm glad i don't have to worry about streaming the games anymore.

Less than 24 hours till the season kicks off!

Wow. I read the link you posted. UMASS only has 1 game on tv and that is on the SECN. That's astonishing. No TV money OR exposure? I'm not sure how that's sustainable? I've never heard of anything like this.
Cheers!

The games are on ASN (i have no idea what channel that is) and NESN which I get in Florida for the same price i get the SEC & BIG Ten Network and is just about standard in MA. The games will also be streamed on ESPN3 which was about the only way to watch them while they were in the MAC so for the home games it is more exposure than they had in the MAC.

I'm sure the South Carolina and BYU games will get picked up. Not sure if games at Old Dominion, Troy, or Hawaii will I hope they at least have streaming options.

You are right about the lack of any money. it is a big surprise I'm sure getting that is part of the trade off of having a game against Wagner televised and not getting paid for the Mississippi State game.

UMASS should have stayed in the MAC for all sports until they got an invite to the AAC which may not ever materialize any way. I view their rejection of the MAC all sports invite as a statement that the school will return to 1-AA after a couple of struggling years without the AAC invite. After the B-12 realignment moves are over and if UMASS doe not get an AAC invite they better get back on the phone to the MAC for all sports or they will be back at 1-AA football again. Just my opinion and would hate to see them fail at the FBS level. 07-coffee3

RE: UMass Football - BruceMcF - 09-03-2016 11:18 AM

(09-02-2016 10:44 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  The games are on ASN (i have no idea what channel that is) and NESN which I get in Florida for the same price i get the SEC & BIG Ten Network and is just about standard in MA. ...
ASN is an "air it if you want to" network of stations, many of them the alternate channels on digital broadcast TV. It's up in the air which stations carry whxich games, and it will mostly be watched by people with the interest to hunt the game down. But it is an opportunity for local and sometimes basic cable exposure, especially in the area of the school.UMass is playing.

(09-03-2016 10:08 AM)PA-GAMECOCK Wrote:  UMASS should have stayed in the MAC for all sports until they got an invite to the AAC which may not ever materialize any way. I view their rejection of the MAC all sports invite as a statement that the school will return to 1-AA after a couple of struggling years without the AAC invite.
Coulda / woulda / shoulda ... with the clout of BBall supporters, ain't no way it was.going to happen, so whether UMass should have done it objectively is a moot point.

It could be after a round of non-FB subdivision realignment spurred by the new Big East getting told by Fox that it's time to expand, the A10 vs MAC BBall comparison.might no longer be insurmountable.

RE: UMass Football - billybobby777 - 09-03-2016 07:48 PM

(09-03-2016 11:18 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:44 PM)Sam Minuteman Wrote:  The games are on ASN (i have no idea what channel that is) and NESN which I get in Florida for the same price i get the SEC & BIG Ten Network and is just about standard in MA. ...
ASN is an "air it if you want to" network of stations, many of them the alternate channels on digital broadcast TV. It's up in the air which stations carry whxich games, and it will mostly be watched by people with the interest to hunt the game down. But it is an opportunity for local and sometimes basic cable exposure, especially in the area of the school.UMass is playing.

(09-03-2016 10:08 AM)PA-GAMECOCK Wrote:  UMASS should have stayed in the MAC for all sports until they got an invite to the AAC which may not ever materialize any way. I view their rejection of the MAC all sports invite as a statement that the school will return to 1-AA after a couple of struggling years without the AAC invite.
Coulda / woulda / shoulda ... with the clout of BBall supporters, ain't no way it was.going to happen, so whether UMass should have done it objectively is a moot point.

It could be after a round of non-FB subdivision realignment spurred by the new Big East getting told by Fox that it's time to expand, the A10 vs MAC BBall comparison.might no longer be insurmountable.

So basically Umass is saying that realignment has to happen. If realignment happens then maybe UMASS has a chance to move to the AAC. If UMASS is counting on an AAC invite and it doesn't happen I don't see how they stay in FBS. How is that possible? Hindsight 20/20 etc. but it sure looks like leaving the MAC was a terrible decision for UMASS right now. I'm a betting man and I'm betting UMASS goes back down to FCS in 2 years.
Cheers!

RE: UMass Football - DavidSt - 09-03-2016 07:52 PM

I will hold that idea about UMass going back to FCS. They are all tied up with the Gators, and making a game of it. If they pull off the win? That means they have improved in football.

RE: UMass Football - BruceMcF - 09-03-2016 07:59 PM

(09-03-2016 07:48 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

So basically Umass is saying that realignment has to happen. If realignment happens then maybe UMASS has a chance to move to the AAC. If UMASS is counting on an AAC invite and it doesn't happen I don't see how they stay in FBS. How is that possible? Hindsight 20/20 etc. but it sure looks like leaving the MAC was a terrible decision for UMASS right now. I'm a betting man and I'm betting UMASS goes back down to FCS in 2 years.

No psrticular reason they can't survive to 2020.

RE: UMass Football - billybobby777 - 09-03-2016 08:47 PM

(09-03-2016 07:59 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Ok let's say they survive until 2020. Then what? If the MAC is willing to take them back then they should go back. I don't understand why this is any different than Idaho. Idaho could have stayed Indy and hoped for the MWC invite to come calling just like Umass is doing with the AAC. Risky
Cheers!

RE: UMass Football - HartfordHusky - 09-03-2016 09:12 PM

(09-03-2016 08:47 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Ok let's say they survive until 2020. Then what? If the MAC is willing to take them back then they should go back. I don't understand why this is any different than Idaho. Idaho could have stayed Indy and hoped for the MWC invite to come calling just like Umass is doing with the AAC. Risky
Cheers!

The difference is they play in a nationally relevant league for their most popular sport. I think maybe going to the MAC would have been the better long term bet but I certainly understand their decision.

RE: UMass Football - Rich52c - 09-03-2016 09:12 PM

Cheers!
what happens to UMASS depends on what happens to the AAC.If UCONN wants out of the AAC that also could help UMASS get into the AAC.

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 09-03-2016 09:17 PM

(09-03-2016 09:12 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 11:18 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  ASN is an "air it if you want to" network of stations, many of them the alternate channels on digital broadcast TV. It's up in the air which stations carry whxich games, and it will mostly be watched by people with the interest to hunt the game down. But it is an opportunity for local and sometimes basic cable exposure, especially in the area of the school.UMass is playing.

Cheers!
what happens to UMASS depends on what happens to the AAC.If UCONN wants out of the AAC that also could help UMASS get into the AAC.
See, i think the opposite. I think UMASS's only chance at the AAC is if UCONN demands it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RE: UMass Football - HartfordHusky - 09-03-2016 09:17 PM

Also, I think they can join any of the MAC, CUSA, or the Sunbelt as full members if they want too.

RE: UMass Football - DavidSt - 09-03-2016 09:20 PM

There is reports that the leaders of UConn wants UMass in as a travel partner. That is why they are on the top of the list.

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 09-03-2016 09:21 PM

(09-03-2016 09:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  There is reports that the leaders of UConn wants UMass in as a travel partner. That is why they are on the top of the list.
Oh? The top? I beg to differ. Certainly a viable option, but not the top

RE: UMass Football - e-parade - 09-03-2016 09:27 PM

(09-03-2016 09:21 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 09:20 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  There is reports that the leaders of UConn wants UMass in as a travel partner. That is why they are on the top of the list.

Certainly we're the top of a list.

RE: UMass Football - Stay Cool - 09-03-2016 09:27 PM

(09-03-2016 09:27 PM)e-parade Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 09:21 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  

Certainly we're the top of a list.
That, i will agree with. I imagine UCONN would want nobody else but UMass

RE: UMass Football - BruceMcF - 09-03-2016 09:38 PM

(09-03-2016 07:59 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  No particular reason they can't survive to 2020.

Ok let's say they survive until 2020. Then what? If the MAC is willing to take them back then they should go back. I don't understand why this is any different than Idaho.
They are better positioned to survive until 2020 than Idaho ... a lot more G5 schools willing to schedule a h/h trip to Western Mass, and they can trade off BBall games that appeal to some G5 schools.

RE: UMass Football - e-parade - 09-03-2016 10:05 PM

(09-03-2016 09:38 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 07:59 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  No particular reason they can't survive to 2020.

Ok let's say they survive until 2020. Then what? If the MAC is willing to take them back then they should go back. I don't understand why this is any different than Idaho.
They are better positioned to survive until 2020 than Idaho ... a lot more G5 schools willing to schedule a h/h trip to Western Mass, and they can trade off BBall games that appeal to some G5 schools.

Georgia scheduled a football game with us for a tradeoff of basketball games.

Also I feel that both BC and UCONN have bought into wanting to have a third team in the region. That can only help.

RE: UMass Football - DavidSt - 09-03-2016 10:09 PM

UConn, UMass and Boston College have a long tradition have playing each other through the years. There is history on UMass side. Even though the football is getting better, their basketball is better than some of the schools in the AAC right now.

RE: UMass Football - Steve1981 - 09-04-2016 08:47 AM

We continue to be better than everyone gives us credit for. We hung with Florida into the 4th quarter with a 10 -7 score. We destroyed the 36 point spread.
[Image: CrebCBtUkAAGYUj.jpg]
[Image: CrelglKWgAALlcD.jpg]

RE: UMass Football - Native Georgian - 09-04-2016 01:42 PM

Solid performance by the Minutemen. Looking forward to our game @McGuirk on 01st October.