CSNbbs
NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away (/thread-731465.html)

NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - hooverblazer - 03-18-2015 10:23 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/sports/ncaabasketball/uab-moving-forward-as-fan-support-slipped-away.html?_r=0

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - blazerwkr - 03-18-2015 10:28 PM

Op piece bought & paid for probably by DC using someone who doesn't truly understand the full issue & using quotes by players out of context

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - BamaScorpio69 - 03-18-2015 10:32 PM

I happen to agree with that article to a degree. The shutdown of football and lackluster in OOC play contributed to the lackluster attendance.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - legalblazer - 03-18-2015 10:37 PM

The fact that this article exists, along with Watts' congratulations email to the basketball team primarily being an advertisement for UAB without football makes me more skeptical than ever that that the Watts team has any intention of voluntarily reinstating football regardless of the ATF process.

It was very low before, but now it is asymptotically approaching zero.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - Memphis Blazer - 03-18-2015 10:39 PM

There has been no doubt in my mind that he voluntarily restates football.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - legalblazer - 03-18-2015 10:42 PM

Agreed. Voluntarily could be removed from my post. It wasn't in the pre-edit version.

I added it as a reference to the legislative route, but any reinstatement will be involuntary. If he does it, someone will have instructed him to in the face of some exerted presure.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - FNblazer - 03-18-2015 11:14 PM

Ray Watts is an asymptote.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - Agent Orange Sauce - 03-18-2015 11:20 PM

Clearly this reporter didn't know about the free chicken biscuits at Chick-Fil-A.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - blazerfrombirth - 03-18-2015 11:27 PM

This is a piece of crap article.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - Agent Orange Sauce - 03-18-2015 11:32 PM

I would like someone to tackle the "what the heck conference are we going to play in" question. Nothing is more important. It's driving me freaking nuts.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-18-2015 11:44 PM

I don't know the author and doubt if she has been to B'ham to check her facts in any real depth. She starts with Alabama-Birmingham and goes on from there with an obvious prejudice against collegiate football programs generally and the southern status of football in particular. There is no southern status for basketball except to some extent in the Carolinas and Kentucky.

In Alabama, if a university wants to be taken seriously, it fields a football team and if large, a D1 team. She probably could never fathom that a BOT could betray its own sister school by acting to diminish its entire athletic program as it has. It just is not the kind of thing done in most states of this nation.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - BlazerPhil - 03-18-2015 11:50 PM

Bless her heart. Juliet wrote a basketball article.

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-18-2015 11:55 PM

(03-18-2015 11:32 PM)Agent Orange Sauce Wrote:  I would like someone to tackle the "what the heck conference are we going to play in" question. Nothing is more important. It's driving me freaking nuts.

Until we are not anymore, we are in C-USA. If / when we are not, then we wait to see who invites us to become part of their family. I have not heard anyone mention rumors of any conference invitations being extended to date. This would be UAB's first conference change without the great Gene Bartow to be our champion and leader. Will any member of the BOT help lead UAB onward? (BTW, how many BOT members are in Louisville for the game against Iowa State?)

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - TNBLAZERS - 03-19-2015 12:51 PM

Dont you like the way the way they did the U.A.B. instead of UAB..I guess they like them there periods..................

RE: NYT: UAB Moving Forward as Fan Support Slipped Away - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2015 12:55 PM

(03-19-2015 12:51 PM)TNBLAZERS Wrote:  Dont you like the way the way they did the U.A.B. instead of UAB..I guess they like them there periods..................

That is a NY Times style selection. They do it with more than UAB.