CSNbbs
City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland (/thread-725528.html)

City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - HobosHeroesStCornerClowns - 02-02-2015 05:57 PM

CITY OF MEMPHIS TO LOAN GRAND CAROUSEL TO CHILDREN’S MUSEUM

Museum Plans $1Million Refurbishment, $3Million Glass Building to House Carousel

Memphis, TN – Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. signed an agreement with the Children’s Museum of Memphis for the use and care of the Grand Carousel formerly located at the now closed Libertyland amusement park.

The Children’s Museum has raised the money needed to refurbish the more than 100-year-old- carousel. The restoration work is to be done over the next two years by Carousels and Carvings of Marion, Ohio.

The museum has a capital campaign underway to raise funds to build a glass building on the museum’s front lawn to house the Carousel once the restoration is complete.

School groups will be able to ride the carousel free. Also, low income families have access to the museum free of charge through the “Yes to Every Child” program.

“I am excited that the City of Memphis is able to partner with the Children’s Museum to make this treasured piece of our city’s history available to all of the children of Memphis,” said Councilwoman Wanda Halbert, who represents District 4 where the museum is located at 2525 Central Ave.

Libertyland closed in 2005 and the carousel was carefully dismantled in October 2009 and is currently housed at the now closed Mid-south Coliseum inside secured and sealed semi-trailers ready for transport to Ohio where the restoration is to take place.

If all goes according to plan the Children’s Museums expects the Grand Carousel to be up and running again in 2017

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - Hypnotized Tiger - 02-02-2015 07:03 PM

That's awesome!

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - Unionman76 - 02-02-2015 11:21 PM

the sealed semi-trailers are in a building that has had no electricity for the last 3 years

expect damage

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - UofMemphis - 02-03-2015 01:50 PM

(02-02-2015 11:21 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  the sealed semi-trailers are in a building that has had no electricity for the last 3 years

expect damage

1 million bucks fixes a lot of damage...

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - 3601 - 02-03-2015 02:29 PM

(02-02-2015 11:21 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  the sealed semi-trailers are in a building that has had no electricity for the last 3 years

expect damage

From what? Heat and cold? It was outdoors when it was at Libertyland. Covered, but definitely outdoors in the heat and cold.

[Image: grand-carousel.html]

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - salukiblue - 02-03-2015 04:41 PM

(02-03-2015 02:29 PM)3601 Wrote:  

expect damage

From what? Heat and cold? It was outdoors when it was at Libertyland. Covered, but definitely outdoors in the heat and cold.

[Image: grand-carousel.html]

Ha. Good point.

RE: City to loan Children's Museum the carousel that was at Libertyland - Tiger46 - 02-06-2015 01:32 PM

I haven't been to the Children's Museum in years, but I see videos of my grandson going there fairly often. Can't wait to take him there myself, maybe around spring break time. I remembe when that first opened, we sold them their first phone system. Such great people to work with.