CSNbbs
Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? (/thread-708166.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - king king - 04-03-2019 04:42 PM

Never seen this thread before.

Born and raised in Tennessee. Lifelong Memphis Tiger fan. I attended the University of Memphis on full ride athletic and academic scholarships in 96 where I was a cheerleader and majored in finding out the hard way how not to keep those scholarships after the Spring semester of 97. Ended up with a pregnant girlfriend who had a serious case of the crazies (I discovered this too late...call me naive) and had to get a real job. I'm a telecom consultant in the Nashville area. Married for 18 years and we have a son (21) and a daughter (16). I am an avid very intermediate range guitar player (self taught and have never played with a band or anything, just a personal hobby, but I'd like to one day) and I speak, read, and write Russian. Spent time there as a teen and have maintained existing relationships there with the intent to go back in the next couple years. I am also rabid Nashville Predators fan with hopes that they can make another good Cup run this year.

I typically align fiscally conservative and socially fairly liberal. I would love to see the country adhere to strictly what is in the Constitution and believe the Federal government should be limited and that what's left to the people should strictly be left to the people. I have a hard time with Trump but cant deny that we are doing well despite his lack of couth. I've also finally figured out once and for all that the Democrat Party is beyond repair. I'm rooting for its complete failure now and will hold my nose to vote for Trump if I have to barring a major setback over the next couple of years.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - GeminiCoog - 04-04-2019 08:56 AM

(11-09-2016 11:12 PM)GeminiCoog Wrote:  I'm Bobby, 34 years old, aspiring filmmaker. I'm a right-leaning libertarian and a Christian who only wants our country to get back to following the Constitution and upholding the rule of law.

I'm quoting myself to explain myself a little further. I was also inspired by a recent post by BadgerMJ. So yes, I'm taking some stuff from him. (Because hey, some people can better explain what I believe than I can at times. lol)

Things I believe in:

1. Above all else, God is number one in my life. That said, I won't shove Him down your throat if you don't shove your particular set of beliefs down mine.
2. I'll stay out of your bedroom if you stay out of my wallet. (From BadgerMJ.)
3. All human life is sacred and therefore meaningful (see reason one for why I believe that); that said, real justice is essential to a thriving society so yes, the death penalty is necessary. (But as a last resort, and really only for the truly heinous crimes.)
4. If you screw up your life from exercising your "freedoms", don't expect me or others to pay for it - HENCE: A responsible choice is a choice that creates consequences that you are willing to assume responsibility for. (Quoted verbatim from BadgerMJ.) And I'll say this to add to it: If I screw up my life exercising my freedoms, I won't expect you to pay for it, either. Deal?
5. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. (Old parable.) Also, this: For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. (2 Thessalonians 3:10 ESV) In other words, if you want something, like that big boat or whatever, work for it! Don't rely on others to get it for you.
6. Don't pay attention to what others have; worry about what you have. You'll be a lot happier.
7. Be honest to everybody, but especially yourself.
8. Confess your strengths and weaknesses, but only to the right people.
9. Charity should come from the heart, not from the government.
10. Treat others better than you expect to be treated.
11. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear. (Thomas Jefferson) In other words, don't be afraid to ask questions to anyone about anything.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - Fort Bend Owl - 03-16-2020 07:06 PM

Decided finally to come clean (so to speak) after staying silent all this time. I've done a lot of stuff in my 56 years but after the Internet crash of 2002, I decided to try to find a job that could support my growing family. So since then (late 2003), I've been a rural mail carrier.

It's not the most glamorous job and certainly I'm way over-skilled for it, but the job can be mentally and physically challenging at times (I prefer heavy days unlike 99 percent of my fellow workers) and I love my route going into some beautiful neighborhoods.

The reason I'm mentioning it now is because suddenly with the coronavirus scare, I find out finally we're considered essential workers. I'm not sure that's the case anyway (we perhaps were when we were delivering 60 percent of Amazon purchases but it's down to about 20 percent now) but I'm the only person in my household or my brothers' house for now who still has to go into work every day.

Hopefully we won't lose all of our retirement benefits although I suspect that day is coming shortly. I also am not a member of the post office union - it was a scam and I got out of it years ago. Basically, the union only exists for subs and poor regular carriers, and I don't fit either of those categories. I do remember someone saying about me awhile back that I did seem knowledgeable about the post office (unlike most other topics as they put it). Well that's why.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - olliebaba - 03-16-2020 09:14 PM

Fort Bend when I started reading your post I thought I was reading a good friends post who is also a mailman. You sound so much like him and is a big time Liberal too. We seldom discuss politics when we get together. He's entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to mine, which is a better opinion, LOL. I don't think that he would agree with your part about the Postal Union as he is a big time union representative and I wouldn't doubt that you and him would get into a good argument about that even though you're both Liberals.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - Erictelevision - 06-17-2021 09:01 PM

Lifelong Boston area resident. Born with congenital disability. Single, 43 y/o straight dude. Liberal politics (practically commie compared to most here). Grew up Penn State football and UCONN hoops fan. For admittedly dumb reasons:

PSU: I'm Italian-American
UCONN: Coach from my area

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-21-2021 07:36 AM

Hi, I'm Malcolm, I'm a 65 year old high school dropout whose biggest success came in fathering two wonderful children (most of the time). I stumbled my way into the telecom industry in 1978, worked my way up from a simple wire puller to management and retired from AT&T as a field operations manager in 2016. Shortly after retiring I went back to work part-time in a cigar store to support a 50 dollar a day cigar habit. I quit smoking cigars and decided I missed working full time in the telecom world (and the steady income) and re-entered the work force full time as a site administrator for a company who provides multiple media and telecom VOIP services to inmates in prisons across the world. My office is in the basement of our local county jail here in Memphis and let me tell you, the place is a literal zoo, filled with animals of all varieties.

I think I'm about to interview for another position with a Fortune 100 company headquartered here in Memphis. The upcoming potential opportunity should double my salary and put me back in the 6 figure category and that's the only reason I would leave my present employer. I may have to actually work though. The only saving grace about my current position is that it is not at all demanding and I have a wonderful hands off boss. If I don't call her I don't hear from her.

I guess I haven't done terribly for a high school dropout. I did have to get my GED as a parental condition for dropping out and I have attended some college but found it just as stifling as high school.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but neither am I a dummy. I credit a diverse upbringing in different parts of the country and world in at least giving me a bit of an edge in worldly matters. My dad was a 25 year Army MP, a proud veteran of the Korean conflict and Vietnam, so we moved around a lot. He spoke 6 different languages and apparently passed that talent along to my son who is fluent in Russian and to my youngest grandson who so far has taught himself Portuguese, Italian and Spanish.

I became interested in politics when Obama was elected and have witnessed the ill effects of that travesty. I am a staunch fiscal conservative and a constitutionalist who believes maintaining a strong national defense is incumbent on our federal government above all else. I could lean socially moderate on most issues and have basically succumbed to the constant harangues from the left. I used to hate the gays and was against inter-racial marriage. I no longer care one way or the other about either of those issues, just don't try to force acceptance of homosexuality as normal on me. My views on inter-racial relationships has evolved and since it really is none of my damn business anyway it is no longer an issue. I guess I should feel the same about the gays and while I no longer hate them I do not support what I consider an aberrant lifestyle.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and love to hunt and fish. I used to golf a lot but a 6 inch titanium rod in my left wrist put a stop to that. I appear to be in excellent health for a 65 year old. I'm told I look much younger, and I am quite muscular with not too much of a gut but it's like gift-wrapping, it's pretty but insubstantial. I have osteoarthritis, likely in every joint in my body, so I ache constantly. Too many years of thinking I was bullet-proof, too many fights ( I studied two different styles of martial arts over about a 6 year period without attaining a black belt) and too much craziness has take a toll. THC helps.

Some of the idiots here might be surprised to find they've been arguing with someone with little formal education. The more intelligent among you probably recognize it through my inability to clearly articulate my positions. My grammar sucks, I know.

Oh yeah, I am Sicilian mostly so don't mess with me or I'll send Luigi over.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-21-2021 08:12 AM

(11-21-2021 07:36 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Oh yeah, I am Sicilian mostly so don't mess with me or I'll send Luigi over.

You got me scared with that one.

Sorry, but I'm too worried about doxxing to share too much. I've had basically three careers--US Navy officer (retired), attorney/CPA, and now university professor. So I'm probably over-educated, thanks to the taxpayers who paid for my degrees. That's maybe too much to share, so I'll stop there.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-21-2021 08:35 AM

(11-21-2021 08:12 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 07:36 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Oh yeah, I am Sicilian mostly so don't mess with me or I'll send Luigi over.

Sorry, but I'm too worried about doxxing to share too much. I've had basically three careers--US Navy officer (retired), attorney/CPA, and now university professor. So I'm probably over-educated, thanks to the taxpayers who paid for my degrees. That's maybe too much to share, so I'll stop there.

You're probably in a position to lose much more than I should doxxing occur. I have no such worries. Also, thank you for your service, as a tax-payer I am always grateful for a return on my investment.

04-cheers

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - JRsec - 11-21-2021 02:37 PM

(11-21-2021 08:35 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

You're probably in a position to lose much more than I should doxxing occur. I have no such worries. Also, thank you for your service, as a tax-payer I am always grateful for a return on my investment.

04-cheers

Privacy is a myth. Everyone on the internet is doxed to our government and likely other governments. It's called a service provider where your account is matched to a bill and therefore your name and address. If you have a Linkedin account they have your line of work, employer, and facial recognition data (also facebook), which they also have from the department of motor vehicles and your carry permit which is some states may include your selected weapon of choice. Since Homeland Security captures and analyzes phone data they can replicate your voice as well. Give them a retinal scan and they can essentially generate any evidence needed against you, or access anything which is yours and electronically controlled.

If it's privacy you crave move to a dense forest, wear clothes with heat insulators for linings, wear shades, and carry no electronics and live off of the land.

Otherwise, it is what it is and they already know who all of us are. For those who love freedom you can rest easy until like in Australia you have no means of defense, because a nation of 340 million plus illegals is simply too many to agitate until they have your means of defense as well. Once they have that they can pick up anyone they choose whenever they choose and without committing too many to ensure success.

They shout conspiracy and paranoia to dissuade serious people who can think from speaking. So the old adage is true, "Just because they call you paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!":coffee3:

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - 450bench - 11-21-2021 05:20 PM

Cool thread.
My name is Mike. Born in Brooklyn NY, proud Italian Catholic.
Live in Memphis, former/has been athlete. I work in healthcare and have for 32 years.
Proud CBHS and Memphis State grad. 2 grown kids that I adore. My dad is my hero.
Never was a political person until the Bush/Gore election.
Since then, one party has forced us all to take sides. Now I’m a hard right conservative.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - bill dazzle - 09-09-2022 09:27 AM

I joined this planet in Memphis in 1962, the son of a man born prematurely and into abject poverty in 1931 in a ramshackle house located on the hard-scrabble streets of North Nashville — the 12th of what would be 13 children. His father was a railroad man, while his mother toiled at various menial jobs. Neither made it past eighth grade.

My father survived as a kid getting assistance via government programs, and he was determined to not do so as an adult. He served in the U.S. Air Force — and we are strongly pro-military. He worked a full-time job and part-time job. He was pro-union. A blue dog Democrat. My Pops is 91 and every day we have him is a gift.

I have enjoyed college sports since the late-1960s/early 1970s. Both my parents had direct personal connections to both Vanderbilt University and the University of Memphis, so I loved the Commodores and Tigers from the start. My mother took piano lessons for five years in the 1940s at what is now Belmont University and our family has always liked the university. She worked at Vanderbilt.

My father earned approximately seven professional certificates from the University of Oklahoma, studying for one each per summer from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s. I traveled to Norman from Nashville two times with him. So he casually cheers for the Sooners and I do too, loosely (to support him).

I have had direct contact (attending, online course taking, part-time work, donating, etc.) with six universities that sponsor Division I athletics: Belmont, DePaul, Georgetown, Middle Tennessee State, Tennessee State and Vanderbilt. I cheer for each.

I have always been fascinated by urban place-making (architecture, construction, mass transit, skyscrapers, mixed-use districts, demographics, etc.). Similarly, I enjoy learning about how college campuses interact with their respective towns and cities.

In addition to Belmont, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State and Vanderbilt, my immediate family members have attended (or are attending) Indiana, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Cincinnati, Louisville and the University of Southern California.

I am a big Vanderbilt fan but dislike immature Vandy fans more so than the buffoonish fans of our opponents.

In addition to urban place-making, my main interest is music (both listening to and playing). I am a hobbyist drummer and mountain dulcimer player. I focus my listening on ambient, modernist jazz, classic rock, Americana and classical.

Though my extended family is primarily white, we have Black, Asian, Hispanic and mixed-race members. A relative at one time sought to transition genders. It was tough on the family. Relatedly, I strongly favor gay and transgender rights.

I am Catholic in general (but not Roman, Anglo, Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox specifically).

Politically, I am independent and about two-thirds liberal and one-third conservative. I strongly believe that man is causing climate change that could be horrendous for our planet (the progressive in me). I also feel that if you work your tail off at a job and make, say, $1 million any given calendar year … no earned income tax; you keep it all (the conservative in me).

I own a gun and am pro-choice. I am pro-police but tired of black people being unfairly abused by the police.

The Antifa/BLM members who trashed our beautiful art deco Metro courthouse in downtown Nashville and the hyper-pro-Trump/Proud Boys members who did damage to our nation’s capital — they are the same angry and ignorant people, with simply different political agendas. Both groups are a threat to our democracy and both committed crimes and should be punished.

Both Hilary Clinton and Don Trump are chiselers who care more about themselves than they do this great nation.

I have voted Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Independent. I detest blatant and hypocritical partisanship.

We live in the most amazing and important country in human history. But this great nation has its flaws and I don’t blame the liberals fully or the conservatives fully for that. Life is too complex for such a simplistic approach.

The liberals who seek to “defund the police” and the conservatives who believe in Pizzagate … lunacy from both sides.

I favor the legalization of drugs, prostitution and gambling. I cheered when Trump provided an $860 billion budget for the U.S. Department of Defense because if we didn't have the world's strongest military, we would be doomed. I put my hand on my heart when the national anthem is played because I love the United States and am humbled to live here. But I fully respect Colin Kaepernick's right to kneel.

I work as a business journalist and live in downtown Nashville.

I once was able to juggle six balls and execute a decent “The Ambitious Card” close-up magic routine. I enjoy craft beer and miss Don Rickles, Mary Tyler Moore and Rodney Dangerfield.

I just turned 60 and the lovely ladies say I don't look a day over "59 and three-quarters."

I ask God to bless the planet (and not just the U.S.).

And as Rob Halford of Judas Priest sings …

… Rock Hard and Ride Free.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - bullet - 09-09-2022 01:15 PM

(11-21-2021 02:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 08:35 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

04-cheers

Privacy is a myth. Everyone on the internet is doxed to our government and likely other governments. It's called a service provider where your account is matched to a bill and therefore your name and address. If you have a Linkedin account they have your line of work, employer, and facial recognition data (also facebook), which they also have from the department of motor vehicles and your carry permit which is some states may include your selected weapon of choice. Since Homeland Security captures and analyzes phone data they can replicate your voice as well. Give them a retinal scan and they can essentially generate any evidence needed against you, or access anything which is yours and electronically controlled.

If it's privacy you crave move to a dense forest, wear clothes with heat insulators for linings, wear shades, and carry no electronics and live off of the land.

Otherwise, it is what it is and they already know who all of us are. For those who love freedom you can rest easy until like in Australia you have no means of defense, because a nation of 340 million plus illegals is simply too many to agitate until they have your means of defense as well. Once they have that they can pick up anyone they choose whenever they choose and without committing too many to ensure success.

They shout conspiracy and paranoia to dissuade serious people who can think from speaking. So the old adage is true, "Just because they call you paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!":coffee3:

Well the government can find who they want. And a determined hacker can find out. Its the weird mildly crazy ones who aren't professional hackers along with identity thieves I want to avoid.

RE: Introduce yourself here: Who are you? What do you do? What is your background? - CardinalJim - 09-09-2022 04:09 PM

My name is James. No one in my family or none of my friends call me Jim , just co-workers. Back years ago before Caller ID, if someone called and asked for Jim. I knew it was about work and if I didn’t want to talk to them, whoever answered the phone would tell them I wasn’t home.

I will be 60 in March. I grew up during the late 60’s and 70’s. Back when no one had air conditioning and everyone spent summer nights on the porch. We used to catch lightning bugs in a jar and tied a string to the leg of a June bug. You don’t see lightning bugs or June bugs anymore.

I was born in Indiana and raised in Louisville. My Dad was the plant manager for a company that made trophies, plaques and medallions. I grew up hanging out at the factory. Growing up in a place where trophies were made, I got to see some amazing ones.

I’m not sure if it’s still used but the College World Series used to use a trophy about 4 feet tall. It is literally an ash log on one side with a baseball bat routed out of the log. The name of the champions each season was put a plate with the year. Dad’s company made NASCAR Trophies, Kentucky Derby Festival Trophies and my favorites The Silver Slugger Awards for H&B.

The Silver Slugger Awards were Silver Bats with a home plate attached to it. I can remember walking through the shipping department and seeing awards there for some of the biggest names in baseball at the time. Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Cal Ripkin, Steve Garvey, Willie McCovy, and many others.

I got meet lots of people. Mitch McConnell, Muhammad Ali and others. I remember Dad introducing me to Pee Wee Reese, calling him greatest shortstop in Brooklyn Dodgers history.

I went to UofL and McKendree College while working for my Dad. I spent nearly 40 years working in manufacturing. I was once the Director of Global Operations for a pharma supply company and got to travel around the world on the company’s dime. When I retired I was Operations Manager for an automotive factory here in Kentucky.

I raised three kids: 1 boy and 2 girls. Both my daughters were college athletes. My oldest played tennis and my youngest played basketball. My son, on the other hand, was a terrible athlete no natural skills at all, just like his Dad.

As far as my politics I used to say I was fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I still believe the government takes too much of our money and I don’t care about your lifestyle. I was a Reagan Republican. After the Reagan years, I got out of politics. I didn’t like George Bush…. either one.Too wishy washy. I supported Clinton.. both terms. I voted for Obama… twice. Then Hillary happened and I became a Marco Rubio supporter. When Trump became the Republican Party nominee I was determined not to vote for him. The more I listened the more I liked what I heard. Then Hillary won the Democratic Party nomination. I knew I couldn’t vote for her so I decided to vote for Trump. I figured he couldn’t screw up things any worse than they were already. I have a real problem with both parties. Though I voted Democrat, I never considered myself one. I can proudly say I never voted for Romney or McCain. I don’t consider myself a Republican either.

Beyond abortion, which I don’t support, except in cases of incest or rape, I probably lean more to the center on social issues. I don’t support the death penalty and I don’t like kids being tried and convicted as adults with no possibility of parole. I don’t believe in locking people up for weed and marijuana legalization. The thought of using tax dollars to pay off student loans pisses me off.

I support amnesty for an illegal who can prove they have been in the country for at least 3 years. I want to see our border secured and the legal immigration process from Mexico fixed.

I still haven’t figured out what I am. Independent possibly Libertarian. Just don’t call me a Democrat or Republican. I would be embarrassed to be either.