CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den (/thread-708123.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - odufansam - 09-23-2015 03:08 PM

(09-23-2015 02:58 PM)First time Long time Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 10:04 AM)SCole025 Wrote:  I wonder if Arnold switches positions like Washington did with the commitment of Brennan Lewis as well. I know that we need increase our QB depth, but signing multiple QBs in a class seems off. Arnold is listed as a dual threat QB so maybe he could make the switch to WR.

Honest question: why do you guys repeatedly suggest the staff convert the non-white quarterback recruits? Here we have a 3* rated QB recruited by other FBS teams and you immediately suggest converting him over the non-recruited, non-rated dude. You guys did the same crap with Caleb Wilson. What is it with you? Until the staff suggests a QB recruit isn't a QB recruit, please quit it.

I think you missed it, but our latest QB recruit Brennan Lewis is a white kid and one of the first comments made was something to the effect of "I guess we just found our next TE." I'm not sure it has anything to do with race, and more to our history of recruiting QBs that we transition to other positions (e.g. Justin Noye, Antonio Vaughan, David Washington, etc.).

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 09-23-2015 03:14 PM

(09-23-2015 10:04 AM)SCole025 Wrote:  I wonder if Arnold switches positions like Washington did with the commitment of Brennan Lewis as well. I know that we need increase our QB depth, but signing multiple QBs in a class seems off. Arnold is listed as a dual threat QB so maybe he could make the switch to WR.

Honest question: why do you guys repeatedly suggest the staff convert the non-white quarterback recruits? Here we have a 3* rated QB recruited by other FBS teams and you immediately suggest converting him over the non-recruited, non-rated dude. You guys did the same crap with Caleb Wilson. What is it with you? Until the staff suggests a QB recruit isn't a QB recruit, please quit it.

That's a pretty heavy blanket comment to make. While I happen to agree that qb recruits should be considered as such until the staff elects to change that. IMO you would hve been better off just addressing your objection to the poster who made it.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - ODUR8R - 09-23-2015 03:26 PM

Hey First Time...I think we should convert LaRussa to strong safety.

He's a lunch pail guy, plays the game the right way, cerebral, deceptive speed, a gamer, gym rat, sneaky athletic and has a high motor.

He checks all the boxes!

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 09-23-2015 03:32 PM

To be fair, Caleb Wilson does not look like a QB at all to me. I haven't seen enough of Lewis or Arnold to comment. But, I do remember reading some suggestions that Lewis was going to move to TE so it may not just be black QBs.

Furthermore, I wouldn't call Lewis "non-recruited." In fact, he had discussions with ECU and South Carolina. (Visited ECU)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - ODUi - 09-23-2015 03:36 PM

(09-23-2015 03:26 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Hey First Time...I think we should convert LaRussa to strong safety.

He's a lunch pail guy, plays the game the right way, cerebral, deceptive speed, a gamer, gym rat, sneaky athletic and has a high motor.

He checks all the boxes!

Uh-oh R8R, now you've done it... describing Blake as CEREBRAL and not a FREAK ATHLETE... definitely has to do with race 05-stirthepot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogUTMs5Z3ko

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - odu83alumni - 09-23-2015 03:38 PM

Wilson was recruited to play tight end at USC and not quarterback.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Mo Blue Den You - 09-23-2015 04:00 PM

(09-23-2015 03:32 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  To be fair, Caleb Wilson does not look like a QB at all to me. I haven't seen enough of Lewis or Arnold to comment. But, I do remember reading some suggestions that Lewis was going to move to TE so it may not just be black QBs.

Furthermore, I wouldn't call Lewis "non-recruited." In fact, he had discussions with ECU and South Carolina. (Visited ECU)

North Carolina...

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 09-23-2015 04:11 PM

What about North Carolina?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Old Blue - 09-23-2015 05:37 PM

(09-23-2015 03:08 PM)odufansam Wrote:  

I think you missed it, but our latest QB recruit Brennan Lewis is a white kid and one of the first comments made was something to the effect of "I guess we just found our next TE." I'm not sure it has anything to do with race, and more to our history of recruiting QBs that we transition to other positions (e.g. Justin Noye, Antonio Vaughan, David Washington, etc.).

I'm not going to bring up the racial angle but we should be looking for a dual threat quarter back . Look I'm a big fan of Shuler Bentley but someone who is multi-dimensional is who we need. We need to look at Drayton Arnold, the hell with how many stars he has. I'm not saying replace Shuler....But rather keep an open mind.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - odu83alumni - 09-23-2015 05:56 PM

Dual threat quarterbacks are nice but you gotta have a great backup for when they get hurt from running.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - First time Long time - 09-23-2015 07:39 PM

New commitment: http://olddominion.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Lackman-commits-to-Old-Dominion-39672025

I sure hope we can convert this middle linebacker to nickle corner.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 09-23-2015 07:55 PM

(09-23-2015 07:39 PM)First time Long time Wrote:  New commitment: http://olddominion.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Lackman-commits-to-Old-Dominion-39672025

Thanks for posting that. I was hoping he would commit to us. A LB with good size that hits like a wild man! Check out his hudl video...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2207620/zach-lackman

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - CameramanJ - 09-23-2015 09:29 PM

Hits hard, wraps up fundamental, and makes his presence felt whenever the ball comes remotely near him. Big dude with a catchy name, too. I could see him being an impact player for us, at the very least in the kinetic sense.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - ODU AGGIE - 09-23-2015 09:30 PM

(09-23-2015 07:55 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 07:39 PM)First time Long time Wrote:  New commitment: http://olddominion.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Lackman-commits-to-Old-Dominion-39672025

Thanks for posting that. I was hoping he would commit to us. A LB with good size that hits like a wild man! Check out his hudl video...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2207620/zach-lackman

I liked what I saw. He seems to be one of those guys who just has a feel for the game. Gets to the ball in a hurry and does a lot of damage when he gets there. Had two interceptions and a takeaway. Good looking recruit.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Leo - 09-23-2015 11:58 PM

i wrote the next te comment just to see what kind of response i would get. i, like first time, wondered the same thing about all the non-white qb recruits having to convert to other positions too. first Washington, then Wilson, who obviously went elsewhere, and now Arnold. i find it interesting

2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Big Bluezilla - 09-24-2015 04:03 AM

Let's not forget ... Washington is developing into a really good receiver and long term prospects at the position are probably much higher than if he stayed behind center (certainly his career opportunities are greater). Wilson went to USC as a TE so perhaps we were ahead of the curve in this line of thought. Sometimes we overthink things. It's common sense that more athletic players have greater ability to play other positions. In fact, having been a QB gives them an inherent advantage of understanding coverages, etc. I'd venture to say that this is the case everywhere and that many high school QBs are the team's most gifted athlete/play maker and put at the QB position to get their hands on the ball EVERY play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - benny_t - 09-24-2015 06:57 AM

Why does the same thing happen at the NFL level. It's not just this board that does it. How many dual threat QBs from college get moved to WR in the NFL. It is what it is. You put your best athletes on the field in whatever position they can help or you need the most help. Washington got moved to WR when we lost several receivers during the off-season. He saw it as a chance for immediate playing time and making an impact for the team.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Gilesfan - 09-24-2015 08:29 AM

(09-23-2015 05:37 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  

I'm not going to bring up the racial angle but we should be looking for a dual threat quarter back . Look I'm a big fan of Shuler Bentley but someone who is multi-dimensional is who we need. We need to look at Drayton Arnold, the hell with how many stars he has. I'm not saying replace Shuler....But rather keep an open mind.

Give me a QB that can throw the ball. Just personal opinion though. Dual threat QBs are fine until you get behind a score or 2.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - SCole025 - 09-24-2015 11:20 AM

Wow... not sure where to start with this. First of all, though others than didn't want to touch the racial element of your comment, I will, since it was basically directed at me. My comment about converting Arnold to another position had NOTHING to do with race. What my comment boils down to is that we currently have 2 QBs committed in the class of 2016. You can only play one QB at any given time and Bentley is the starter (and will presumably remain the starter in the future). Even if the 2 QBs that are coming in RS next season during Bentley's RS Sophomore year, they will still be RS Juniors before the starting QB position is vacant again. I didn't say that they needed to move him now. I agree that he was recruited as a QB and therefore should be given an opportunity to compete as a QB. But if he proves to be a talent on the practice field, you don't think that the coaches might consider trying to find another way to use him in games? That's what happened to David Washington. He wasn't recruited as a WR, he was a QB. However, he showed that he could asset as a WR so he was moved to WR.

The only reason why I made this suggestion regarding Arnold over Lewis is that Arnold is listed as a dual-threat QB (meaning he can make an impact with his arm or his legs). Lewis is listed as a pro-style QB (meaning his more of a pocket passer, and not as adept at scrambling). Had those categories been swapped, I would have made that statement about Lewis instead. The fact that you insinuated that my statement had ANYTHING to do with the fact that Arnold is black and Lewis is white is insulting and a joke.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Football Recruiting Den - Mr.BigBlue - 09-24-2015 11:26 AM

Again...one will redshirt, thus spreading the QB recruiting class out.