CSNbbs
NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team (/thread-699300.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Big_Man - 08-21-2014 09:06 AM

Check out these maps of each states favorite sports teams. Take a look at the college football map about half-way down.

Now we just need higher attendance with all these fans 03-wink

Yahoo Maps

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - NIU8484 - 08-21-2014 09:10 AM

(08-21-2014 09:06 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  Check out these maps of each states favorite sports teams. Take a look at the college football map about half-way down.

Now we just need higher attendance with all these fans 03-wink

Yahoo Maps

I got you....

[Image: NCAA-football-map.jpg]

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Dog Fan - 08-21-2014 09:15 AM

I'm afraid to ask this, but what the heck does "Bates" mean for Maine?

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - 7 - 08-21-2014 09:19 AM

There's a Bates College in Maine, I guess.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - BarsemaBone2 - 08-21-2014 09:25 AM

(08-21-2014 09:15 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I'm afraid to ask this, but what the heck does "Bates" mean for Maine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_college

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - HuskieJohn - 08-21-2014 09:32 AM

I thought this was some fan made thing when I saw it on twitter yesterday.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - HuskieJWN - 08-21-2014 09:58 AM

Looks like NIU is the only mid major team that made it for states that have power conference teams.

Like NH, Idaho, Vermont don't have power 5 conference teams. That's pretty impressive for NIU. Plus it stands out a bit since Illinois is a rather long state on a map.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - beachboy - 08-21-2014 10:01 AM

Bates Bobcats! A friend captained their men's basketball team. Doesn't say much for the U of Maine Black Bears ...

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Big_Man - 08-21-2014 10:11 AM

It's actually the Bates Motel. They had classes in the basement.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - DiehardHuskie - 08-21-2014 10:41 AM

Nice

NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Dog Fan - 08-21-2014 11:15 AM

So if someone gets an M.A. from there, would they be a Bates Master?

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Lord Stanley - 08-21-2014 11:21 AM

What are the chances this thread has the first jokes of the Bates Masters program? Master of Art from Bates.

Also, Dartmouth over New Hampshire football? I was always of the impression that the (looks it up on Google) UNH Wildcats had a great program.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - Huskie_Jon - 08-21-2014 11:32 AM

(08-21-2014 10:01 AM)beachboy Wrote:  Bates Bobcats! A friend captained their men's basketball team. Doesn't say much for the U of Maine Black Bears ...

I would have thought it would be UMaine too. They are the only Div. 1 team in Maine. Their FB team is FCS, but they did defeat Mississippi St. 9-7 in 2004, and they will play an FCS team every year. Their biggest sports draw should be hockey, and the Black Bears have been average lately.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - thehappyhuskie - 08-21-2014 12:05 PM

That seems odd, I would expect more UofI fans, or at least, Notre Dame fans. But I'll take it, share it, and rub it in my friends from UofI's faces.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - HuskieJohn - 08-21-2014 12:30 PM

(08-21-2014 12:05 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  That seems odd, I would expect more UofI fans, or at least, Notre Dame fans. But I'll take it, share it, and rub it in my friends from UofI's faces.

Maybe Yahoo just confused us with UNI...05-duck

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - cawoo22 - 08-21-2014 12:41 PM

(08-21-2014 12:05 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  That seems odd, I would expect more UofI fans, or at least, Notre Dame fans. But I'll take it, share it, and rub it in my friends from UofI's faces.

There probably are, but I suspect the sample size is very small & this poll is probably overrepresented in the Chicago area. South of I-80 doesn't give a crap about us.

Now, there's that fan map that's been linked here several times before (here) that gets more and more accurate with the amount of fans that participate in the poll. I think it's broken down by county. The thing I like is NIU is the top school in the "NIU corridor" from about Naperville out to almost the Iowa state line, from the WI state line down to I-80 or so.

True, a pretty small area, but we were the only MAC school on there that has a definitive & significant footprint where we are the top dog (I guess Ball St has a bit of one, too). The Michigan & Ohio MAC schools get swallowed up by UM & OSU, even in places like Toledo, where they've got reasonably good support, they're still not the "favorite" school, except maybe in their hometown.

Now, if that map were put together in 1998, I bet the NIU footprint might have extended to a about hundred feet around the Huskie Stadium locker room. More reason to keep rolling.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - 7 - 08-21-2014 12:53 PM

(08-21-2014 12:41 PM)cawoo22 Wrote:  

There probably are, but I suspect the sample size is very small & this poll is probably overrepresented in the Chicago area. South of I-80 doesn't give a crap about us.

Now, there's that fan map that's been linked here several times before (here) that gets more and more accurate with the amount of fans that participate in the poll. I think it's broken down by county. The thing I like is NIU is the top school in the "NIU corridor" from about Naperville out to almost the Iowa state line, from the WI state line down to I-80 or so.

True, a pretty small area, but we were the only MAC school on there that has a definitive & significant footprint where we are the top dog (I guess Ball St has a bit of one, too). The Michigan & Ohio MAC schools get swallowed up by UM & OSU, even in places like Toledo, where they've got reasonably good support, they're still not the "favorite" school, except maybe in their hometown.

Now, if that map were put together in 1998, I bet the NIU footprint might have extended to a about hundred feet around the Huskie Stadium locker room. More reason to keep rolling.
It takes time, but you can see the progress being made. Like you said though, gotta keep winning.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - niu50yrdline - 08-21-2014 12:59 PM

Suck it U of I. Sorry... I had to.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - randyfensfanclub1 - 08-21-2014 01:48 PM

Love it!!!

Funny, since UI was on B10 network vs. OSU when they one there in 2007 when OSU was #. I was living in STL, at a bar watching. Won some $ on that.

Looking at it now, likely their last meaningful win in 6+ years.

RE: NIU = Illinois's Favorite College Football Team - randyfensfanclub1 - 08-21-2014 01:50 PM

I think it was fans of a school also in that in that State, since Alaska had none.